How do you feel about The Mothman Prophecies?

First time I watched this it was late at night.....spooked me pretty good. Supposedly based on actual events, but I thought I read before that it was just strange events that inspired a book or novel.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=inrkyvFj0Ys
youtube.com/watch?v=D8YIW7No1l4
m.youtube.com/watch?v=D8YIW7No1l4
youtube.com/watch?v=xO8scJ5grhQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothman
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The mothman thing is a phenomenon people claim to have seen.

It's associated with UFO encounters NY people who say they are extra dimensional beings who predict shit because they are apart from out space/time.

car crash GOAT

...chapstick

what? it takes place in West Virginia, it has nothing to do with NY.

I actually really liked it, OP

i remember seeing this and we couldn't stop heckling the stupid scenes, so badly that another friend refused to ever come to the movies with us again

Fucking spooky and but last time i saw it was when it came out on dvd so not sure if i'd like it now.

I kinda love it I guess. As a film it's nothing special, but it has a weird, eeire kind of feel to it. Can't put my fingers on it, but thinking about it now gives me the shivers desu. The entire thing is just off somehow, that's the kind of horror I like the most. And seriously, GOAT closing music

youtube.com/watch?v=inrkyvFj0Ys

Love this movie. One of the few legitimately creepy movies of the past couple of decades.

>tfw struggling for 14 years against compulsion to answer phone with raspy "chapsti~ck"

>Based on actual events

Well, it is. Mothman is an actual thing people reported, "based on" really means they just got the idea from the accounts of it.

>mothman book in the school library
>can't even look at it because it's too spooky

Damn, MM's appearance or design or whatever you want to call it is fucking spooky as shit

>the scene where they close the door with the mirror on it

Scared the shit out of me families

teuce pewp

Actually a legit scary movie. I remember watching this by myself late at night as a kid. Let's just say I had to sleep with my mom that night.

I live 10 minutes away from the Avalon motel in the movie. And I recognized one of the streets because they filmed scenes in Pittsburgh. Pretty neat.

Bridge scene is GOAT

I think it's some spook kino. Other user touched on it well. It's not amazing but it's entirely weird and off putting, which leaves you oddly on edge/unsure for the watching
Was 2spooky

Do you see moth people?

Everyone in this thread is my nigger, this is one of my favourite movies.

Weird fiction done right, an unexplainable event beyond human understanding, a glimpse of a wider universe that exists all around us, there's no vagueness to the proceedings - it's certainly otherworldly, but it isn't defined as anything. Not ghosts, not demons, not aliens, just something else, strange, beyond us in a way we can't comprehend. And you just have to deal with it.

God tier atmosphere throughout, music is lowkey and weird, it's almost dreamlike at points.

post clip please

I think it's this one

youtube.com/watch?v=D8YIW7No1l4

m.youtube.com/watch?v=D8YIW7No1l4

Professor Leek was GOAT. Everything he said was 100% spoopy gold.

Yes. That's it. Shit still gets me.

I never even noticed the de-synched mirror, just fuck that, man, the little details are fantastic

>What do you look like?
>Depends on who's looking.

Going to rewatch this soon. Maybe when October starts.

>Let's just say I had to sleep with my mom that night.

Did you fuck?

Kek

It's an excellent exercise in audience culpability. To these characters we're indistinguishable from the Mothman. We're watching the movie unfold knowing what essentially will happen, and when Silver Bridge collapses, it's because we know it will happen and so it must happen. There aren't many works in modern art that actually go for this and succeed.

The original Evil Dead, for instance, is another movie where the audience is indicted through the camera when finally it's we ourselves who attack Ash in the last shot of the movie, hearkening to some ritual sacrifice we expect from art and thus have simulated but not necessarily recreated. Or Earthbound, where the game basically asks the player to get involved enough to break down the barrier between us and the game in our minds and defeat the hellish villain ourselves.

Contrast with True Detective S1 falls short of greatness in its final episodes because it basically sets up this sort of culpability and then retreats, keeping control to itself and giving Rust and Marty their semi-happy endings, totally misreading the way the audience would inhabit the story; on the other hand, S2 adjusts and plays completely into the concept at the cost of overarching aesthetic and alienation of fans, producing something fascinating but understandably dividing.

The Mothman Prophecies is not a terribly special movie beyond the one point, but it's an incredibly special movie for it.

I watched this the other night for the 2nd or 3rd time, and just noticed the mirror in that scene. I had already had a few beers and was beginning to think I was seeing shit.

This is one of the few movies that still spooks me. Something about the cinematography and sound design is really unnerving. Still find it hard to watch alone.

Got to give a lot of credit to the director - on paper this could've been ridiculous. Takes a lot of skill to make flying interdimensional beings truly scary.

>reflection doesn't match reality
>strange face in mirror briefly when it closes

Spookino confirmed. Apparently the Mothman's face is hidden in 5 places in the movie according to the director and that's one of them.

GOAT line.
Still get shivers.

I'm from WV and often drive over the bridge they built to replace the one that originally collapsed back in the 60s. Kind of a spooky local legend. Anyway, this movie scared the shit out of me when I saw it at age 7 or 8 or whatever. Caught it in a double feature with Spider-Man at the drivein theater. They showed this thing first, and I was horrified beyond belief. Rewatched it a few years ago and it didn't do much for me, though I guess it's pretty good. Doesn't quite nail WV creepiness, no movie ever does

I really dig this film and Marble Hornets and It Follows. They all ring the same little bell that most shit doesn't.

I'm not super big on It Follows, but that and Marble Hornets are definitely on the spectrum from

>Doesn't quite nail WV creepiness, no movie ever does

god damn that's the truth. WV is the dark heart of America

I saw it as a kid and it scared the crap out of me

>tfw you used to read paranormal magazines all the time
>tfw you were scared but too curious to stop
>tfw you're too old and can't believe in all that shit anymore even if you want to ;_;

It was so comfy

>Chen... Mohamet is Prophet
This movie is literally the reason I converted to Nation of Islam

one day i will capture the true horror of the appalachian forests in a film
the towns are creepy too
the roads, everything man
something about it, lived there all my life, something has always just felt off

i just like the mothman in general and think he's one of the spookier urban legends.

everyone else has already said it but yeah, this movie is pretty alright in general but damnit it nails the spookiness.

It's interesting that even the author of the book comments on WV's very unique spoop factor,

I don't even like horror but I feel compelled to watch this

To be quite frank, it's kino

Also amazing OST

youtube.com/watch?v=xO8scJ5grhQ

Can somebody tell me what this mothman legend is? What exactly is the story with him and this bridge thing

It's very atypical of what most consider modern horror. It's all in the atmosphere and the unexplained.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothman

he's a daemon i tells ya

if only there were some construct with the totality of all human knowledge at your fingertips that could be accessed at will

He was sighted around Point Pleasant, WV in a UFO flap back during the 60s(I think). The guy that wrote the book went around interviewing people who encountered it and documenting all the weird shit being reported around Point Pleasant leading up to the collapse of the Silver Bridge.

The author claimed to have been fucked with by what he believes to be these same "beings," and all the accounts are sort of consolidated into a few characters for the sake of the movie. The author himself was happy with how it was all brought to the screen.

I looked forward to monsters.

Instead I get some weird emotional issues

The general idea is people in Point Pleasant, West Viriginia, kept reporting sightings of a bizarre entity that culminated in a massive local disaster.

What you got was prime weird fiction pretty much unmatched by most modern movies. For a mainstream horror released in theaters, it's a miracle. We won't see something else quite like it again, I fear.

It's about the unknown and glimpsing a wider universe that exists all around us in a way we simply cannot comprehend.

Search engine results can be gamed, censored, and modified. Sites -- especially the mainstream go-tos -- can be altered through brute force or social engineering. It's better to exchange knowledge one-on-one. Much easier to detect shills and disinfo agents that way.

Hmmm

Who would win in a fight, mothman or the Jersey devil?

>heckling movies
You should be banned from all theaters forever and castrated so you don't ever reproduce.

>not even the supernatural goes to the Dakotas

Mothman would open with his finishing move - Nth-Dimensional Rift, collapsing the Devil into a quivering mass of existential dread.

Now if you had 10 Jersey Devils on the other hand, it'd be anyone's guess.

Knobby stomps if he has the high ground

That phone call scene is top tier spook-core
Laura Linney is an underrated waifu.

there was nobody in that place. in fact i believe the whole thing floppz0red.

>Laura Linney is an underrated waifu.
She really is. She's got some great lines in this one, too, even funny ones.

For church and schoolin and such!

omg is he okay??

No she just gave me a handy that night and let me sleep on her tits.

Real facts this movie and Signs fucked up 10 year old me.

Dude, they even raised a mothman statue in Point Pleasant.

yeah he's fine. just got a little spooked

I had books about aliens and ghosts and cryptids that I'd read all the time as a kid. Greys were probably my number one fear though. The old X-Files opening credits still give me goosebumps.

This wasn't a "scary" movie for me as a kid.

It gave me chills, nevertheless. And it also got me thinking about the nature of time, and the possibility of things within reality that we are unable to fully know or understand.

The movie was mediocre. No real payoff or substance.

Found the pleb

>payoff
The mark of the pleb. Not every movie has to suck your dick you know?

Who is Mothman?

Oh yeah I remember that opening. First time I saw it I was visiting some family, it was around midnight and this played on TV right as we left. I was 6 or 7 I think and we lived in the middle of bumfuck nowhere so I was scared as shit the whole ride home

I miss that feeling

Yeah she gets no love but prime Laura Linney is a cute.

if you enjoyed the movie you should definitely read the book ,or any of keel's books. operation trojan horse is probably his best

Aw yeah, Mothman Prophecies is one of my favorite films! It's one of the only movies I've seen that takes an utterly mundane setting and characters and spills just the right amount of high weirdness on them.

The soundtrack by tomandandy is top notch (that "Half Light" song by Low is good too) and yeah, that scene where John talks to Indrid Cold on the phone is so effectively creepy, when he said "cchhhhaaapstick..." my gf at the time got serious goosebumps.

Also, totally agree with these guys
Laura Linney was a real cutie in this movie, and even today she's still looking good. She gives me serious MILF tingles.

Chapstick scene definitely ripping off lost highway.

Overall quite a bit Lynch influence

Are you me?

> Here comes the Failed Film Student Brigade

Why can nobody express why they like a film so much without needing to sound like
> The intricacy and grittiness of this motion picture's every frame compels an exquisite sense of involvement in the audience, a novel type of dénouement in terms of filmmaking quite unmatched by its peers and, regretfully, possibly by its successors.

Why, God, why? If you can't express your opinion in layman's terms it's hard to believe you have any pure opinion at all.

> disinfo
> mainstream
> social engineering

Sup guys, whats going on?

I've seen the movie twice now because I didn't fully comprehend what it was about when I caught it the first time on TV. Since then I have read the book by John Keel and found his explanation of those phenomenons to be quite reasonable. As far as I know he's one of the first mainstream authors that put the idea forward that the strange UFO phenomenons over the last century are not new to mankind. In his theory he puts them into context with events ancient cultures have witnessed and the explanation of angels and other celestial beings people in medieval times used to employ. There are many exceptional people that have come forward from those experiences they themselves describe as meetings with aliens. He described a handful of cases in which those people discovered awesome capabilities that seems to either have been gifts by those higher beings or a blessing put on them.

The creepiest piece in the book is somewhere around the months with the highest number of sightings of the mothman. It's about two couples as far as I recall that encounter one of those mothman around a factory building while driving around with their car at night. There had been reports of sightings before that from someone who run away from it but the couples were followed a good while before they made it out of that area.

I like the movie but after reading the book the story about Keel going around gathering all those stories would have been even better. Let's not forget that all this is taking place at the heights of the UFO craze in the 1960s and Keel seems to have developed into a real Fox Mulder. He has humor and gives a lot of insight in how he spots irrelevant accounts and phony plants.
Keel still is probably the go to author for anyone who wants to start reading something about the UFO phenomenon because he covers the subject broadly and critically with logical explanations.

I havent seen this before but it sounds great.
What would you say is its spooky rating and its scary rating? I need good stuff for October
Is this a big spoiler? I'll still watch it though

I saw this as a child back when I took that "based on true events" shit seriously, and it spooked the hell out of me.

Should I give it a rewatch?

Stupid american

The phone conversation with Indrid is literally one of the best spook scenes ever made