Realistic Portrayals of Depression

"Realistic Portrayal of Depression" that's what I keep hearing about this show, and others (You're the Worst, Transparent etc.)

"Realistic Portrayal of Depression"

No it's fucking not. You know what a realistic portrayal of depression is? Someone lying in bed staring at the ceiling. That's it. Maybe 23 episodes in they get up and try to shower. Then on episode 31 they fucking shoot themselves in the head. THAT'S A REALISTIC PORTRAYAL OF DEPRESSION

these shows are fine but that fucking comparison drives me fucking insane. I hate this culture of "eh eh we're all mentally ill so it's fun to watch on TV" if any of those people actually suffered from that they wouldn't think that for a fucking second. FUCK those people

That is not a realistic portrayal of depression you fucking moron. Many, many people go about their daily lives while suffering from crippling depression.

We aren't all 17 living at mom's house.

it's not crippling if you're functioning you dumbass.

Really sounds like you're the 17 year old here dude...

Believe it or not people who still have to put a roof over their head suffer from depression just the same. Fuck off back to myspace with your teenage angst.

How can someone who's invalidating other people's mental illness possibly claim to understand what depression is?

Please just stop. You're embarrassing yourself. also the myspace reference is like 11 years old

>depression manifests only one way
Jesus dude, c'mon.

>You know what a realistic portrayal of depression is? Someone lying in bed staring at the ceiling.
Like how Bojack spent years saying he'd write a book and then never did it and instead just ate and drank until he passed out every single day to the point where people thought he'd died?

>That's it. Maybe 23 episodes in they get up and try to shower.
And maybe they try to make a movie that they've wanted to make forever before abandoning it completely.

>Then on episode 31 they fucking shoot themselves in the head. THAT'S A REALISTIC PORTRAYAL OF DEPRESSION
It's actually episode 36 where basically this happens, but close enough.

I'm not invalidating other people's mental illness you fucking mongoloid, I'm saying you're an idiot if you think all depression means is you lay in bed all day every day.

Did you get triggered by that reference because eleven years ago you were still in kindergarten?

You're lack of respect for the mental illness of others can only reflect a lack of understanding, and therefore a probable deniability in the fact that you suffer from anything other than moodiness and (from the dialect of your posts) violent temper tantrums.

Not going to engage with you anymore. You don't have depression. You should stop pretending you do.

You're right, I haven't been depressed since my college days over a decade ago. I never claimed to currently suffer from depression you absolute fucking imbecile.

Lying in the bed doing nothing is exactly what happened in You're the Worst though. And Bojack is an example of a highly successful person who is both depressed but also busy.

Bojack belongs on the front page of the internet.

Also, friendly reminder that there were only two IPs to have posted in this thread when these two posts cropped up responding to my first reply.

You're either bad at samefagging or completely bipolar.

damage control. lol ok

depression is a made up disease
so you had a bad day? well champ, everybody feels like their whole life is just suffering but we dont complain about it or be "depressed"
get your head out of your ass and start acting like a man

Interesting bait

Have you watched You're the Worst? That's pretty much how they portray it.

But you are the one invalidating others', are you retarded?

This. Fucking manchildren blaming their laziness on >muh depression.

really unless you're terrified to get out of bed in the morning you're probably just another nobody who thin's hes more intelligent and emotionally apt than you really are so you get all fanciful and start self-diagnosing.

just stop

Once you understand you need some kind of income to eat and pay bills your survival instinct will do the rest. Nobody has died of hunger because of a depression.

ITT: People who diagnosed themselves with depression on WebMD

>it's not crippling if you're functioning

>It's actually episode 36 where basically this happens, but close enough.
What? Are you talking about him taking his hands off of he wheel and closing his eyes on the highway?

>interesting

how thin is your understanding of mental illness that you really think people who suffer from it can handle it, unless the react well to medication these people often become homeless.

>taking his hands off of he wheel and closing his eyes on the highway?
You're blind if you see that as anything other than a suicide attempt.

Pretty sure that dude is dead AKA not functioning.

Also it's long since been revealed that he killed himself after a parkinson's diagnosis: therefore Depression -> Crippling depression.

>What? Are you talking about him taking his hands off of he wheel and closing his eyes on the highway?

Yes, which in your mind was...

fuck off with your stupid cartoon, you fucking manchild
>>>/reddit/
>>>/tumblr/

It didn't seem like he was anywhere close to going through with it, though. Nothing like actually blowing one's brains out. It was a straight, empty stretch of desert highway with no traffic and he stopped pretty quickly.

"Pretty much" killing oneself via gunshot to the head is far different from a half-assed attempt that's more due to self indulgence.

Your post is just as shitty as that pic you posted. Fuck you on all fronts.

BoJack Redditman

Bojack Rules. Horses are funny. Get over it.

BoJack's entire character is that he's terribly depressed but too much of an impulsive coward to do anything about it. Most cases of depression don't lead to suicide, they just lead to stagnation.

>start considering watching the show
>see that pic
lol nevermind

You're the one invalidating people's mental illnesses

Precisely, which goes against OP's post. It's a more nuanced and realistic look at one of many depressive behaviors. OP was going HURF DURF IF HE'S DEPRESSED WHY HASN'T HE KILLED HIMSELF, but that would go against his character and as you said, most depression doesn't lead to suicide.

>not the first post from this IP
What did he mean by this?

>taking anything written in a blog seriously
It's a good show. Watch the first season and form your own opinion you insecure fag.

>FEMINISM SCARES ME

Calling samefag

Wait, ROBIN WILLIAMS IS DEAD?

The truth offends the sjw's

If I wasn't convinced you were the guy who actually posted the pic, this would be the most pathetic, cuckworthy post I've ever seen on this board.

How so?

>It's a good show. Watch the first season

nah, I'm not going to fall for this again. Cred Forums kept insisting road fury wasn't a feminist movie so I decided to see it.
>the villain is literally an analogy for the patriarchy
>the matriarchy is portraied as the good guys who can do no wrong
>the solution for everything is to put a woman in charge

You're a dumbass, BoJack is a very realistic portrayal of depression.
NGE is good too, but BoJack makes it look like child's play.

>They cant have depression if they do x
>Only people who do y are depressed
Thats how fucknugget

please kill yourself, for all of us

>I can't enjoy something if women are portrayed favorably
Is this the fragile masculinity feminists talk about?

>I judge the quality of movies by whether they confirm my beliefs
wew lad

Nah it was actually dangers of religion in desperate times. Joe's whole set up was a theocracy, all religion, from water to the Valhalla death cult. The Warboys suffered under him even worse as brainwashed mutants obsessed with death. Any kind of feminist element was hugely downplayed to the point of non-existence. Joe was ex-military, that's why he's in charge. Ultimately they couldn't have succeeded without Max and Nux's involvement. Max got everyone's shit together in the end, Furiosa was a wreck.

dont you guys have a bull to go prep

> advocate for mental illness
> tells someone to kill themselves.

Never had depression confirmed.

So judging depression off of it's official definition is somehow invalidating? would it not be MORE invalidating to humor people who say they suffer from depression when it's more than apparent they don't? It is, after all, those people who make it harder for those WITH mental illness to be taken seriously.

>was just about to accuse of being 's samefags
>2 seconds difference from each post
Jesus, has Cred Forums gone full reddit?

Try Melancholia

okay.

>Studies CĂ©line
>Doesn't read fiction
How's that work?

I've seen it. Yeah it's realistic. But the whole point of this thread is that television shouldn't be lauded for displaying a mental illness for the sake of entertainment. It trivializes the condition as something used for dramatic effect. Like an exploitative cancer movie.

It's particularly infuriating with depression, because depression is inherently UNDRAMATIC. it's UNINTERESTING because it's nothingness. It's why people have ignored it as a condition for years.

It's just so weird to have a mental illness distorted into media for dramatic tension and "clappter" it's actually infuriating.

Would you say the usage of depression on television is... triggering you?

>all the enemies are male
>all the women are oppressed sex slave (you know, just like real life!)
>"IS IT A BOY!?"
>on of the old hags goes "a man!?" when she sees max. Furiosa replies, "don't worry, THIS ONE's alright"
>director said it was a feminist movie
>feminists said it was a feminist movie
>they hired the author of "vagina monologues" to approve the script
>despite of all this, Cred Forums still goes "n-no, it's not a feminist movie!"
It's sad how you fags still deny up to this day it was a feminist movie.

To say that would be a blatant misuse of the definition of triggering used in popular culture.

It's just annoying. Cancer movies get called out for being Oscar bait. Why can't depression shows get called out for being critic / emmy bait. Especially when they're labeled as "comedies"

We should just ban yanks desu. They can't stop bring their political shit in any (literally any) discussion.

because they aren't

there's humor in a character with depression struggling with his life because a lot of people can relate to it on some level, what's with modern day working life and all. I'm sorry it triggered you faggot

Literally just said it didn't trigger me, why are you so defensive?

I'd argue that people who actually struggle from depression use television and entertainment as a way to get AWAY from their horrible realities, and only people who romanticize mental illness / suffer it in a very limited way can actually enjoy a show that portrays it, especially when that show offers so little besides a storyline about depression

>Movies can only be interpreted one way
Were you dropped on your head?

>on of the old hags goes "a man!?" when she sees max. Furiosa replies, "don't worry, THIS ONE's alright"
>line is literally "#notallmen"

>i-it didn't trigger me
>first post is literally REEEEEEEE THIS ISN'T DEPRESSION REEEEE
okay you can suicide now /r9k/

Why don't you respond to my points instead of chasing your fantasy about triggers? It's like you're so obsessed with memes and buzzwords that you've developed an advanced form of autism that manifests itself in online chats.

there are different degrees of depression, obviously. it's difficult/impossible to accurately convey it and science isn't much help, physical exercise is as effective as SSRIs/CBT

the inability to communicate the state and this the ignorance of outsiders is a strong contributor to the illness, it consists of several "vicious cycles" you could say, i'd recommend writing about it or art in general, check out this essay by David Foster Wallace "the depressed person"

-posted from my pocket

Cold Feet is currently doing a series with depression as a main theme.Pretty good desu

>muh headcanon!

This is a great thread

>SSRIs/CBT
I didn't know cock and ball torture cured depression

>muh feminist conspiracy
What are you, afraid that watching the movie will turn you genderqueer or something?

"Can only lie in bed" is not the official definition of depression and you're surely not retarded enough to think it is.

except it is. I now know that my oldest brother was suffering from depression all through out my childhood and I never even noticed it.

>Actually believing depression is real

lmao

>the men are the winners who run society
>the women are losers, some of whom are bitter towards men as a result
>Furiosa basically says #NotAllMen which is an MRA thing
>she would have clearly failed if not for Max
>creator claims it's a feminist movie in order to get the feminist audience
>morons like you just take him at his word, as if that's an argument
I'm embarrassed for you.

Any feminist point the movie is trying to make is subtext. On the surface it's still a good post-apocalypse action movie that is perfectly capable of being enjoyed as such unless you're such an insecure baby that you can't watch a movie unless all aspects of it confirm to your ideology.

as a person that killed himself due to depression i can tell its not accurate

perfect bait thread.

>FUCK those people
yeah well apparently most of them are on this thread

>You have been a fucking bum to be depressed
Lol confirmed to not have depression

ITT: OP is a triggered faggot

True that!

wtf is wrong with you people, biggest bait I've ever seen. Or are you all blinded by the fact user over here is hating on your favorite excuse to drink and be lonely

take you vitamin and go to bed Johnny you're always cranky when you're tired.

Who is Johnny?

Baitposters have it too easy these days.