Blade Runner general

"You've done a man's job, sir."

Why don't they make movies like this anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

trekmovie.com/2016/06/17/chris-pine-you-cant-make-cerebral-star-trek-in-2016/
youtube.com/watch?v=NoAzpa1x7jU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner#Cultural_impact
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They do, you just became a jaded fuckwit coming here over the years.

The audiences are make up of retard millennials with no attention span or ability to think beyond the first level. Look at network television. The average person has brain damage.

Yeah, blame Millennials even though the amount of profit from 'foreign boxoffices' has grown over the years

trekmovie.com/2016/06/17/chris-pine-you-cant-make-cerebral-star-trek-in-2016/
>Chris Pine spoke about how Star Trek can compete in the modern cinema marketplace.

>“You can’t make a cerebral Star Trek in 2016. It just wouldn’t work in today’s marketplace. You can hide things in there – Star Trek Into Darkness has crazy, really demanding questions and themes, but you have to hide it under the guise of wham-bam explosions and planets blowing up. It’s very, very tricky. The question that our movie poses is “Does the Federation mean anything?” And in a world where everybody’s trying to kill one another all of the time, that’s an important thing. Is working together important? Should we all go our separate ways? Does being united against something mean anything?”

They really don't.

Go watch demolition man and compare it to the blockbusters of the last ten years.

Is this gibberish supposed to mean something?

youtube.com/watch?v=NoAzpa1x7jU

Did this actor star in any other movie? He's fantastic in this and wouldn't mind seeing more.

Yeah, he actually starred in Clear and Present Danger

Rutger Hauer
Not really. He shows up every now and then. The only other movies that are really worth a damn with im in them are Turkish Delight, Flesh + Blood, and Ladyhawke.

Why the fuck aren't we getting a TOS reboot series with Pine, I don't even hate him the movies are just eh

Blade runner is visually pretty and has a really strong first act and a really strong finale, but the overall film is super boring. I watched the final cut for completions sake recently and was staggered to see the movie was less than two hours it movies so slow.
I think the fervor surrounding it has more to do with the fact that it has such a cool aesthetic overall that you want it to be good so less discerning film buffs mistake its flaws for artistry. definitely worth watching though. But many who are uninitiated come out of it underwhelmed.

It means Chris Pine fucking hates being in Not-Star Wars.

why should a movie not be boring?

Because its boring? Do you even English?

bore - /bôr/ a tedious situation or thing.

Being boring by its very definition is a bad thing.

is it?

do you believe certain texts can be boring?

many books might be boring?

a lot of necessary things are boring.

maybe you're right. maybe every movie should be fury road.

Bladerunner is worth watching solely on the merits of its production design and cinematography. The most interesting things about it are how often its visuals are copied wholesale and the fact that its regarded as one of the greatest scifi films of all time despite the fact that it squanders its concept and themes on boring incidental scenes that have no of geography or pathos. Otherwise it is a plodding, underwritten and BORING movie.

Also where the fuck did fury road come up?

but user, fury road is boring and unwatchable
blade runner is endlessly exciting

>regarded as one of the greatest scifi films
never heard it in that context. not once.

>squanders its concept and themes
you mean the concept and themes set forth by the source material? that honored and noble champion of psychedelic art by the prestigious philip k. dick? the guy who ate cat food and horse meat?

as for "plodding, underwritten and BORING" I never agreed with you on that point the first time you tossed it around, why would I start now just because you dolled it up a bit with non-arguments?

pointing out that you don't agree with me isn't a counterpoint.
As a fan of phil K dick i read Do Androids Dream of elctric sheep and its so drastically different from the final film (or any of its miriad re-cuts) as to render the point moot.

you have bloated the argument and i'm no longer interested. i'll finder deeper and more diversified dialogue on the fringe boards. maybe see you on /d/ or /x/?

So I win? You ran away cause you had nothing to rebuttal with?

I saw it for the first time recently and I was definitely underwhelmed

no, you didn't answer with anything of interest. you didn't find my source material comment relevant and your first sentence beat a dead horse.

there are more dead horses to beat and i'll stick around to beat them with you but is that what you really want?

Pretty though. Right?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner#Cultural_impact

So you refuse to answer because I didn't interest you? yet you're still here after stating you would try to find "deeper and more diversified dialogue on the fringe boards."

Blade Runner Sucks and it's held up by art hipsters like you that would rather come off like they get something they suppose they "get" rather then just admit they didn't get it or have the balls to admit there isn't much to get.

Whats your next straw man, ad hominem argument? You gonna tell me i'm wrong again and threaten to leave without making any real point?

I don't feel I blade runner is a movie with deeper representation. It can represent itself and it does. I made my point and I feel I now only have to point back to it. Do you care to tell me what point I'm defending? I'm not sure you remember.

you asked if a movie should not be boring? which is quite possibly one of the most asinine "aren't I deep" kind of things to ask. I answered.
If you are trying to make bladerunner as some kind of required film text like 2001 or casablance i answered that also.

What high school intro to film class shat you out?

yeah, you answered me. you gave me literally a textbook definition.

aren't i deep? i don't accept textbook definitions!

say, what's the textbook definition of "deep"?

maybe i need to know that as well.

let me answer for you and reiterate my point: gas the skypes race war now.

>gas the skypes race war now.
my thoughts exactly.

are you getting mad for me answering you with facts and references? You asked me for reference!

i asked you for reference?

pal, i'm drunk. i'm operating in a limited scope of reference and i'm really only interested in my initial standing - which i stand by. i will watch this "boring"-ass movie (based on shaky source material that I feel it surpasses in many ways INCLUDING taking its ability to take itself seriously) and I will watch "boring"-ass dracula 1931 and I will watch "boring" lawrence of arabia and boring vincent price and boring citizen kane many years into the future.

boring seems like just another buzz word.

>tfw it's a shame she won't live

Silent running was the inspiration for many of the visual effects in Star wars. So much so that the makers of silent Running sued fox and won.
Nowadays the only reason it's worth watching is for that historicalreference. On t's own its a decent movie, but the history makes it important. that is true of many films. Bladerunner falls in that category. ITs only really worth watching because of all the times its been copied and the fervor it creates amongst its most rabid fans. If you like it, you like it. But go off likes it somehow a good thing that an otherwise good bit of source material was butchered into a film that never really explores its concept or subject matter in any menaingful way.

OK. Now we're getting somewhere. I'll watch Silent Running. I assume you are correct in your analysis. Thank you for your time. I was only giving you shit because sometimes we need to go deeper.

The Hitcher

also nice quads nigga

I think this is a great example of how a movie can have many flaws and still be great movies are not a sum of their parts

>compare it to the blockbusters

there's your problem

He was in a movie called Blind Fury that was pretty entertaining.

>Blade Runner's only merit is aesthetic and historical

This is an 18+ board

he say you brade runner

REMINDER: Deckard was a replicant

Reminder that Deckard was not only a replicant, his personality is a carbon-copy of the personality of the dude in OP's pic.

wtf

elaborate

its pretty self explanatory

not really you dumbass

you cant just say shit then have no way of backing it up

watch the director's cut and it is pretty self explanatory dipshit

the directors cut if the only version ive seen

you just have no way of explaining your dumbass headcanon without sounding dumb

where do I have to go irl to be in a place like pic related?

not everyone is blind and retarded user. but it's okay maybe if you watch the movie a few more times you'll understand

hongkong

shut the fuck up you humongous faggot

its obvious you dont know what the fuck you are talking about

He was in the 10th Kingdom with Ed O'Niell, you ignorant pleb

lol k. whatever you say smart guy.

>autismos always have to have the last word

>Star Trek Into Darkness has crazy, really demanding questions and themes

Like what, the millionth take on "Nazis are ebbuuullll all races are EEQQUUAALL!!!!"?

Hobo with a Shotgun
he shows up in many things desu, he looks very different these days though

Fuck off back to Cred Forumsestine you edgelord faggot

guys what do we think about Blade Runner 2? it has the Goose in it so it has to be kino right? right?

I am probably more to the left politically than you faggot. Point out the meaningful hidden messages in Star Trek into darkness and I'll tell you why you're a mouth breathing retard.

the bradbury building (jf sebastians home), featured in many la noir films and chinatown...

but thats pretty boring

blade runner deals with the questions of what is real and what is human...

but those questions are pretty boring

I really believe that Blade Runner is only good because the first part and the finale. Music and Aesthetic is god tier too, but the history is NOT that great. The Roy/Deckard fight was kinda cringe.

Fifth Element by day, Blade Runner by night.

That wasn't even me you were talking to.
Anyway, the theory goes like this:

The guy in the OP pic was the ultimate Blade Runner but injured himself (which is why he's limping) and is no longer usable, with the introduction of new sentient Replicants it was decided to implant his personality into a Replicant so the ultimate Blade Runner dude isn't lost forever.

This is suggested by him creating those origami figures which always seem to express what Deckard is feeling at any given moment, if I recall correctly he folded a chicken origami at first when Deckard was reluctant to accept the job offer, indicating that he's scared.
An origami figure with a boner when he meets the female Replicant and the most pressuring argument is the origami figure of the unicorn towards the end, suggesting that the unicorn dream Replicant remembers wasn't his own but the dream of the guy in the OP pic.

He plays Ragnarr in The Last Kingdom. Latest role of him I can remember.

my bad

thats very interesting

im going to rewatch this today

>like the movie
>go read book
>its absolute garbage, even considering by how shitty some of Dicks books are

Im honestly blown away the movie ended up being good considering the source material.

As for modern movies?
Dunno, i liked oblivion or Edge of Tomorrow or Ex Machina if you like movies with smaller scope.
S-f is still being made, and its good but not amazing, same as old s-f. Nether lets say Alien or Blade Runner really hold up greatly today, you an see their shortcoming especially when it comes to editing, sloppy screenplays and general pacing.

The film and book are fantastic for different reasons.

>book
>fantastic
Which part?
The second coming space Jesus asking Deckard to murder people?
The random ass fucking police station chapter that come out of nowhere puts the plot to a complete halt before going away like magic so the story can go on?
The fact its impossible to tell if Deckard is a serial killer or an actual authority?
The fact "Androids" are basically human clones?
The retarded tech?
Or how he seems to make test on the spot that down work anyway.
Or the fact he has a wife he cheats on, then tries to kill the person he cheated with and goes back home happy?
Wtf, this guy is clearly unstable.

But to me Space Jesus is the part that turn the book from below mediocre to just worthless garbage only worth knowing for the movie adaptation it resulted in.
The incoherent tone, awful pacing, complete lack of consistent charakteryzatorni and those random spiritual elements that go nowhere are hilariously bad.

What about split second?

I never noticed Bill Adama was in Blade Runner

Wat....speak engrish please

the police station was put into the story so that deckard could question him being human
the retarded tech was there to show how even the most simple minded human could see how inhuman the andys were
he cheats on his wife to see if he could be a bounty hunter like dave holden then when pris kills his goat he goes after her but ultimately loses his mind

every single character in the book are masterminded to build Deckard as a character
the reason you didn't like the book is because you're too autistic to understand character building

I have to disagree. It explores the theme far more deeply. While we have to power through Dick's shitty writing with the book and nonsensical plot points, on the screen we can see man and machine, just that. Androids trying to live through their very own last breath and man living in squalor. They have the gift of life but they don't use it. At the very end we see the machine casting away its revenge for the promise of living inside Deckard's memories.

Of course, muh plot twist shits all over everything the movie stands for. But according to the script writer that was never contemplated.

>every single character in the book are masterminded to build Deckard as a character
>the reason you didn't like the book is because you're too autistic to understand character building
Character building?
He was an psychopathic serial killer with no morals or conscience at the start, hes an insane serial killer who cant even stick with his own idiotic rules at the end.
This is all the character building i got there.

Also fuck that police station chapter for wasting my time. I want to know what happens next not watch some incompetent writer squeeze in another story entirely mid way as filler into the book, Its worse than cliffhanging endings, since at lest the continuations is not filled with crappy filler thats best dealt with by flipping 50 pages ahead.
Want to do some additional character development or maybe at something to the plot? Fine, but do it within the already existing fucking story, dont just start another one and the drop it like a bag of bricks pages later.

this is an 18+ website i suggest you go back and do your homework and return until then

Shame its not a good taste required website.

Boring and stupid?

Such a great location. I think it's also the inspiration for one of the levels in the E.Y.E. Devine Cybermancy game.

The Ennis house (used for the interior of Deckard's apparent) was also the location for Twin Peaks' fake soap opera Invitation to Love.

Are you suggesting Demolition Man wasn't a blockbuster?

>not having an extensive 80's VHS collection

Soldaat van Oranje

All those replies and not one mentioning Hitcher. Go watch that one.

Damn i love that line

Everyone here agrees the directors cut (where whatsherface lives a long time) is shit right? It goes against the entire theme of the movie just to have a happy ending. It's makes me mad, as sad as that sounds.

I want underage redditors to fuck off back to Cred Forums and stay there

He plays the "didn't you get the memo?" boardroom executive in Batman Begins

Because times change for the best and now it would go as it should have gone even back then
>You"ve done a man's job, sir.
>Did you just assume my gender?

This movie is a masterpiece, and it deals with the themes established in DADOES in an incredibly clever and subtle way.

So...did they make a movie yet that looks as good as BR?

LÓFÁSZ