Norm Macdonald Unloads on Modern Comedy, SNL, Fallon’s Critics, Hillary, and Trump

There's a thing you do in the book, where you take the kernel of a real-life event, and then craft an outlandish and obviously not-real story out of it, that feels very different from a lot of contemporary, more personally revealing post-Louie comedy. Did you ever have any impulse to write something more confessional?

I do not like confessional comedy. I don't like it at all. Nothing can be easier than being confessional. Confessional is bragging. That's all it is.

It’s bragging to draw from your life experiences?

People think things are tragedy. They're not tragedy. If you get cancer, that's not a tragedy. If your mother dies when she's 30, that's not tragedy. That's life. You don't yell it from the rooftops. It has no place in comedy.

So I guess you're not a fan of the wave of TV shows that's followed Louie? All those shows clearly based on the star's real life?

Louis C.K. is a genius. But every genius breeds a bunch of fucking idiots. These people say, "I can do that." But they can't, they just think they can. I don't understand all these comedy shows that forget about being comedies. It's absurd. There shouldn't even be a prevailing style of comedy, anyways. People should be individuals.

vulture.com/2016/09/norm-macdonald-book-snl.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QX1SojKfgNI
ctu-33.com/details/id/3115104/
youtube.com/watch?v=pW7d-z3tmZA&feature=youtu.be&t=4170
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1474304435510.webm
youtu.be/i_gfnhYD1V8?t=163
youtu.be/M4ZjakSgc00
newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/my-greatest-gig
youtu.be/lL0WayC7jW0
youtube.com/watch?v=eE6QzDrT_x8
youtube.com/watch?v=A848xpsDJbw
youtu.be/A848xpsDJbw
youtu.be/kDzBVvhbtIw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There's also a parallel trend to the confessional comedy I'm talking about, which is comedy that's much more explicitly concerned with identity issues. I'm thinking of people like Amy Schumer or Aziz Ansari. Are you also disinterested in social-commentary comedy?

If you can tell me one funny, socially relevant joke I'd give you a million dollars. Comedians, when they get really good, and nowadays they don't even have to get good, reach a point where they feel they should be philosophers. I've heard it said even that the modern-day philosophers are comedians. I read modern-day philosophers! I'm sure they're insulted when they're compared to people who work in smoky nightclubs and hit on waitresses for a living. Social commentary — I don't know. Have you tried watching Murphy Brown lately? Those Dan Quayle jokes …

I'm a little surprised to hear you say that, especially about the confessional stuff.

That doesn't really even have a place in social intercourse. Confessional is meant to be something you do in a dark booth beside a holy man and whispered.

You really believe that?

Yeah.

I know you're a big Bob Dylan fan. Doesn't he have a bunch of confessional material?

I don't think Bob Dylan is confessional in any way. I know Bob Dylan. I read biographies of him. I don't see it.

So a Bob Dylan song like "Sara" — Bob Dylan's wife at the time was named Sara. And in it he sings "I wrote 'Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands' for you." That's the title of a song by Bob Dylan.

That was a love song for Sara but, you know, he hates Sara's guts now. That's always the problem with that kind of shit. But there's something about confessional comedy. I guess it depends on what the joke is. If the joke's funny, it's funny. But if you say, "I blew a priest …" I don't give a fuck. It doesn't shock me. Tell the police or your family, but I don't care. Confessional comedy is the worst kind of comedy I've come across.

What is this /lit/?

Fuck of faggot. Green text it or dont bother.

Parts of your book are pretty clearly riffing on the idea of the celebrity memoir. There's all this over-the-top drug use and bad behavior. Did you have any particular books in mind when you were writing?

I just tried to find books that made me laugh. The one thing about books is that the humor section of the bookstore is where all the least humorous books are. Huckleberry Finn, Woody Allen’s books of short stories — those two have a lot of laughs in them. I know my book’s crazy, but I hope it's grounded in some way.

What's the part about sharing liquid morphine with Lorne Michaels grounded in?

I’ve been wondering if I’d get any interviewers who thought this stuff was straight. We have to be very careful not to slander anybody with our satirical answers, okay?

Oh, now you’re careful.

I guess if I’m gonna drop bombshells, I gotta be ready for collateral damage.

The way you write about your time on Saturday Night Live makes it clear that the show is a bit of a millstone for you.

I mean, it feels … it's alright to be pigeonholed because everyone pigeonholes everybody. I remember I used to work at the post office and I was really hungry for watermelon once, so I ate like five pieces of watermelon at this post-office party. So anyways, this one guy who also worked there, for the rest of the time I worked at the post office, he was like, "You gonna have any watermelon today? It's the watermelon guy. We should get you a watermelon." And I'm like, "it only happened once." But it helped him to identify me and doing that is completely natural, I do it. The truth of it is that I do stand-up. So it's thousands and thousands and thousands of hours of stand-up comedy compared to, I don't know, 1,000 hours of "Weekend Update."

This. Nobody cares fuck off shill

Don't post the entire article here OP or people won't post in this thread.

I'm reading it now and it's pretty good so far. I agree with his thoughts on confessional comedy. It's one of the reasons that I hate people like Marc Maron and all the other pity partyers.

>Well, what happened was, after the show, he came out and was just standing there. So I said, "Mr. Trump, a picture?" And he said, "You betcha. Just give me a minute." Then he turns and walks down the hall, all the way to the other end, and gets on the elevator. "Just give me a minute," and then he leaves the building. It was hilarious, like a Buster Keaton movie or something.

The absolute madman.

Fucking based.

Norm's a God and does so much shit that people do today and think it's groundbreaking. Our generation has the shortest memory of any imo in terms of art and referentiality. You're living in postmodern times you fucking squirt, nothing you're doing is remotely original. People talk about all their Adult Swim autists as if they're even remotely edgy or interesting, that's the biggest joke of all.

>What'd you think of people criticizing Fallon for being too easy on Trump?
>It was absurd. Being hard on people is not what Fallon does. We've come to this crazy idea that entertainers should be political experts. Jimmy just likes to laugh and have fun and not hurt anyone's feelings. He's a real sweet kid. But mostly, what do you expect from Jimmy Fallon? You have to stick with what you're best at.
This is also why I like Fallon. His jokes are the simple hook and punchline. He doesn't unevenly attack one side or the other.

>A lot of people misunderstand making fun of sexism as sexism. But who cares? I remember I was on some show where they were asking me about women and I said, "Women are the greatest thing in the world because without women there wouldn't be any cookies." So if you took that serious, that doesn't mean I'm sexist; that means you're fucking retarded.

>Louis C.K. is a genius. But every genius breeds a bunch of fucking idiots. These people say, "I can do that." But they can't, they just think they can. I don't understand all these comedy shows that forget about being comedies. It's absurd. There shouldn't even be a prevailing style of comedy, anyways. People should be individuals.
Marc,Azis and the rest of the hack squad on suicide watch.

Goddamnit, just ended my Audible trial before his book came out.

Norm is based. I loved it when he had Maron on his podcast and told him he's a better interviewer than a comedian.

Okay.

Okay.

I love norm but this is Cred Forums you mental invalid.

Did Maron cry about for a month on his podcasts?

>that means you're fucking retarded.
the most obvious fact people seem to gloss over

this

I can imagine Norm doing an expression like this

Great interview op, thanks for sharing.

I have his book pre-ordered. Looking forward to it.

norm does a podcast, used to do movies, judged on a show, and was part of snl for a long time. He's as Cred Forums as it gets.

Back to your blacked.com capeshit thread pleb

t. Adam Eget

>spelling Egret's name wrong

Fuck off redditor

Adam...E-get? is that your name?

fucking change it

Oh look under your seats!

It's Adam Egret licking your asshole

I'd be into Norm if it wasn't for the 10 minutes per show where Eget goes off on some anti-holocaust rant like this is Cred Forums

youtu.be/QX1SojKfgNI

Obligatory.

You forgot the last part of that answer

>Of course if I said that and I was serious, I wouldn't be sexist — I would be mentally retarded.

It was pretty bad in the Stephen Merchant interview when Egret said "6 million? More like 600" and Merchant agreed with him and then backtracked and said it was probably somewhere in between.

Makes me sick.

not his fault that it didn't happen

Is there a new episode this week? Haven't seen it posted or anything.

Is he /OurGuy/?

Tonight on prime and then youtube on Monday I think

Agreed. Adam Egret'a virulent anti-semitism has no place on the internet. Shame on him.

>Sports

His face is like an obese tom cruise

He gained weight for a role.

These are pretty funny.

This is what I like about Norm, the punchline is often not even the strongest part of the joke

Based Norm. SJW and tumblr really hate him

how is a topic about actor and comedian Norm MacDonald not Cred Forums?

So just post the link newfriend. Don't copy and paste the entire interview.

>There are a couple times in the book where you have these sort of blatantly old-fashioned and casually, ironically sexist remarks. Stuff like,"My publisher is a girl and it's about time, I say." Do you ever worry that kind of material, which you perform a lot in your stand-up too, gets misunderstood?

>A lot of people misunderstand making fun of sexism as sexism. But who cares? I remember I was on some show where they were asking me about women and I said, "Women are the greatest thing in the world because without women there wouldn't be any cookies." So if you took that serious, that doesn't mean I'm sexist; that means you're fucking retarded. Of course if I said that and I was serious, I wouldn't be sexist — I would be mentally retarded.

That part was pretty good.

Not that user, but then people bitch about

>Le i'm not giving them clicks! Just paste it!

Can't win w/ the entitled meme-netizens.

>obese
Overweight sure, but not that much.

>foaming at the mouth bashing confessional comedy
>praises Louis C.K. as genius

Does this old geezer even know what he's ranting about?

This story would only be funny if he told it in real life.

I think the secret to Norm's humour is his funny voice and facial expressions.

>got bit on the leg
>best show ever
What was his worst show

>Did you meet him?
>Well, what happened was, after the show, he came out and was just standing there. So I said, "Mr. Trump, a picture?" And he said, "You betcha. Just give me a minute." Then he turns and walks down the hall, all the way to the other end, and gets on the elevator. "Just give me a minute," and then he leaves the building. It was hilarious, like a Buster Keaton movie or something.

He clarified, if you care to read the next sentence. Louis did great w the genre, but bred a generation of imitators.

Then what was the point of bashing confessional comedy if he follows that up by saying there's no problem with it, it's just the imitators that are the problem

This just makes it a completely vapid rant, ranting for the sake of it and not really knowing what he's actually trying to get out.

He says it's easy. Doesn't mean he can't praise someone who uses it in a genius way, as he puts it.

Louis is a genius. kys

t. cuck

Anyone listen to Adam Egets story about how his parents accidentally put him in some cult boarding school?

Welp this post is megadeep #reblogged on muh vlog dawg $hrekt

im being ironic
also i completely agree

PASTEBIN RETARD
FUCKING NEWFAG REEE

lol tendies xD

When is the audiobook read by Norm coming out for his memoir

I mean, this guy was a real jerk

>Adult Swim autists
desu I would never group Sam Hyde in with the AS faggotry.

>Louis CK is a genius

Cred Forums BTFO

He's worse. He's youtube faggotry.

>If you can tell me one funny, socially relevant joke I'd give you a million dollars

This makes no fucking sense, at all. I swear whenever Norm rants about comedy it doesn't make sense half the time, he's funny but his understanding of comedy seems so fucking warped, skewed and misguided.

Really, Norm, there are NO funny socially relevant jokes? Fucking 80% of your online user fanbase love you because you go against the SJW norms, people love you for political reasons. Your anti-pc style is part of a massive cultural movement happening right now, so your approach to comedy is both funny and socially relevant to the times.

norm is a bit of an elitist when it comes to comedy though, he and artie always talk about it as if they're the number 1 experts on the subject.

i love his moth joke, but other than that i think he's not as great as people make him out to be.

Youre such a faggot goddamn.

Not an argument my triggered newfriend.

of course he is, disliking louis CucK is a meme

I guess cuckolding really is the thinking man's fetish.

I just watched the movie the animal with rob Schneider and norm McDonald was in it.

He has no right to criticise anyone.

>he hates sam hyde so much he uses any excuse to toss him in and trash him

He's very good friends with Sandler

Do you seriously think Norm put his all into that role? Do you genuinely think that he did that movie for anything other than a paycheck?

The man goes on these misguided rants about how terrible anti-comedy is, which to be fair, the label is retarded and should be replaced with something else.

In that rant he complained about the idea of being funny while critiquing and satirizing comedy technique, as if it's something holier than thou that cannot be touched. Everything is a response to something, so why would you complain about such a thing? He just strikes me as a confused old man that doesn't think through what he's actually saying.

People use this rant as some epic BTFO meme towards adultswim, tim heidecker, and the likes. Norm likes Tim, he just doesn't know what he's talking about.

You're admiring the dude that starred in a scary amount of Adam Sandler flicks, because he's moderately politically incorrect, just goes to show how little you fucks actually use your heads.

kek i can just imagine trump staring at him as the elevator doors shut "just give me a minute"

I wouldn't call the hitler youth a boarding school.

Norm on the creator of ledubs man.

If he's only doing certain comedy for a paycheck he has no right to criticize.

A cameo isn't a starring role. Showing up to shoot for a day on a shitty movie and getting payed shouldn't really be indicative of a career that is primarily in stand up comedy.

If he's made a career off doing stand up for decades and is generally considered to be well respected by his peers then I say he's totally in a position to criticize.

Fucking savage.

That's the magic of reading; you can imagine the voices, faces, and even the scenery.

you absolutely misunderstand everything about norms style of comedy and your perception of reality is hilariously warped

That second tweet might be my favourite insult ever.

Intelligent people hate anyone interested in politics. Why would he care who latches onto him as a speaker for their political movement? There is nothing more insufferable than SJWs/alt right. All of you should be gutted and thrown into the ocean.

Imagine me fucking your ass then faggot

>implying you can see my face
My face actually carries the conviction of a mature adult laughing as he plays with the emotions of futile shitposters.
You think you can phase me? Even the very thought is ridiculous
*sips glass of red wine*

I could crush you with a single keyboard stroke if only I could be bothered. That's how little you mean to me

This. I don't get how they are so oblivious to fact that they are the opposite sides of the same retard coin.

>Intelligent people hate anyone interested in politics.
Congratulations. You have made the dumbest comment of the day. Going to recommend a bigboy job and going outside.

Norm's never been good in movies.
Except in Dirty Work.

G- SEVEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!

Everyone interested in politics is a shitty, stupid person. It's an interest for people with no real interests. It's for dullards and simpletons who have no intellectual curiosity. Sorry that upsets you. Back to Cred Forums.

>Louis C.K. is a genius. But every genius breeds a bunch of fucking idiots. These people say, "I can do that." But they can't, they just think they can. I don't understand all these comedy shows that forget about being comedies. It's absurd.

Holy shit, Norm just described Bojack Horseman perfectly.

If you sincerely believe that there are no funny socially relevant jokes then I'm not sure what to say to you even, fucking not even Norm himself believes that, if he does he's fucking retarded because he himself as said one of his favorite comedians is George Carlin

Everything that game out of that dudes mouth was political and socially relevant at the time, and still is. So what's he even saying? Just even further proves that Norm is just an old man that likes to go on vapid rants without necessarily thinking through anything. He just likes sounding like he has something of substance to say, but if you actually try and read into what he's saying it falls apart pretty quickly.

Bojack Horseman is a great show disliked exclusively by drooling retards though. Kill yourself.

I usually separate the artist from the fandom but the vocal alt right fags that comment on Norm's videos annoy me so fucking much.
At the end of the day though, Norm's too much of a comedy genius for me to really care about that sort of thing.

>it's a short story

This new wave of Cred Forums cartoon masturbators in comment sections everywhere are possibly the most deluded people I've ever seen. They think anyone who says anything anti-PC is their representative, even though every one of those people would tear them to shreds for 99.999% of their "beliefs."

>So I guess you're not a fan of the wave of TV shows that's followed Louie? All those shows clearly based on the star's real life?
>Louis C.K. is a genius. But every genius breeds a bunch of fucking idiots. These people say, "I can do that." But they can't, they just think they can. I don't understand all these comedy shows that forget about being comedies. It's absurd. There shouldn't even be a prevailing style of comedy, anyways. People should be individuals.
Wonder who he's referring to

This man is amazing
My copy should be delivered today. Can't fucking wait

Probably not the shitty sketch comedy show you posted

>Bojack Horseman is a great show
DUDE IM SOOO DEPRESSED LMAO

>Louie is a genius, but every genius breeds a bunch of fucking idiots
Donald glover BTFO

Is the book online on torrents or #bookz?

>Everyone interested in politics is a shitty, stupid person.
Top kek how old are you?

>likes politics
>types things like "top kek"

What's funny is that people like you are so unintelligent you're oblivious to the numerous ways in which you prove the people who hate you correct every time you type on a keyboard.

It's not that I like politics but I think it's important to be informed. Completely ignoring something that exists and directly effects your life is unintelligent. I don't think you can argue that. You can try, preferably with less projecting this time.

You can get Norm's book FREE from here:

ctu-33.com/details/id/3115104/

It's an epub file.

Don't open this it produces mustard gas

This right here. Brilliant

Awe yea, just ran to my library and got the first copy. Time to get comfy.

I hope retarded interviewers ask him about this story and he keeps making more shit up to fuck with them.

He was good in Billy Madison too though then again the role didn't require much of him.

Louis stand up is pretty great

Keep on memeing though

I imagine that's why Fallon is able to get big-name guests so easily. They know he's going to go really easy on them and make them look good.

>twitter
>stand up
Pick one then an hero

>I notice Bret Ellis describes himself as a writer in his twitter account. More of his brilliant satire.

>petroleum jelly
You gonna shove it your ass, user?

Stfu faggot and let OP finish pasting this shit. This shit is funny.

>2016
>expecting people to read things
Video, audio or gtfo.

youtube.com/watch?v=pW7d-z3tmZA&feature=youtu.be&t=4170

They aren't, though. The Left is animated by entirely imagined concerns, stemming from their hatred, greed, and envy of anything beautiful and lasting. The New Alternative Conservatism is animated by entirely legitimate concerns, stemming from their respect and need for anything beautiful and lasting. You just don't want to have cope with the burden of picking a side and defending your choice.

Please permit me to translate:
>i lack the moral courage to posit and defend any system of political belief, and direct my shame of this at people who do have such conviction

DON'T REPLY TO POL POSTERS
SAGE ALL POL THREADS

>The Left is animated by entirely imagined concerns, stemming from their hatred, greed, and envy of anything beautiful and lasting. The New Alternative Conservatism is animated by entirely legitimate concerns, stemming from their respect and need for anything beautiful and lasting. You just don't want to have cope with the burden of picking a side and defending your choice.
Even most alt righters aren't THIS delusional.

is this the one where he starts calling some chick a retard because she wont shut the fuck up?

>these butt-ruffled virgins getting told so hard
Kill yourselves with bleach, fatties.

>The tallentless hack's tallentless hack
My sides have passed the transwarp threshold and turned into to salamanders

My computer won't open it, it's a Dell

She called him a retard IIRC. He did a joke about people calling teachers "the real heroes", a teacher in the crowd got mad at him, and then their little back and forth started.

Do you still watch SNL?
>Yeah, I watch it.

What do you think of it?
>I don't like agenda comedy. I guess I could say that.

RED PILLED AS FUCK

>Oh my god! I've never seen so many dead hookers in all my life.
Dirty work is one of the best comedies of the 90s.

>Biden must be going 'why the fuck didn't I run?

kek

Really is a good way to put it.

You mean like a talk show host should?

I don't even like Fallon but you're a retard. Late night talk show hosts aren't fucking Bill O'Reilly, they're likable guys in suits helping celebrities shill their latest product.

Smells like fish in here.

“Listen, Lorne, I do have one character I’ve been working on, and I think it’ll be a big hit. The biggest. But I don’t want to do it down in the studio, where some bum might steal it and take it for his own. I want to do it just for you, right here and now.”
Lorne looked up at me with that stare of his that passeth all human understanding. “Go ahead, Norm.”
I reached inside my back pocket and pulled out a bag containing seven grams of government-grade morphine and two brand-new syrettes and tossed them on his desk.
“I call this character ‘The Connection.’”
“Norm, I confess that your antics are near amusing, but this is not what we at the show refer to as a ‘character.’ Do you know what we call this at the show, Norm?”
“No, sir. What?”
“A recurring character.”
I was in.

lmao

There used to only be 4, and celebrities were somewhat forced to do them. So Letterman could grill someone and we all got to laugh. Now there's too many and they all have to be nice to get guests.

Isn't this confessional humor?

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1474304435510.webm

No its an anecdote

No, it's anecdotal ya dingus

damn she was so hit in that one
she does things to me, so slutty and girly

BTFO Cred Forums

wut

you wouldn't find Cred Forums disagreeing

Cred Forums take their sexism very seriously

you don't know what you're talking about

Cred Forums does not stand for misogyny

norm is the unfunny guy that laughs at all his own jokes

>Louis C.K. is a genius

prove me wrong.

I want to know what is his opinion on this guy's """"""""""comedy"""""""""".

its ok to hate niggers, jews, mexicans, and asians

but hating women is offlimits, thats r9k tier garbage

you Cred Forumstards forgot to post this part ITT

>I don't think he's as dangerous as everyone is trying to pretend. I don't want him to be president, but I don't think simply by being elected he would be any more likely to start a war any more than Hillary would. The Democrats didn't exactly get lucky with Hillary. My God almighty, she's the only person in the world who'd be at risk of losing to Donald Trump. Biden must be going 'why the fuck didn't I run?' But I definitely don't want Trump to be president.

he has his reasons and his reasons are arguably wrong

biden would have an easier time than hillbill, doesn't mean a globalist pedo like him is preferable

youtu.be/i_gfnhYD1V8?t=163

Norm was quoted saying that he loved MDE and thought they make the best comedy of this generation

norm is a canadian

Where

it's bait you dip.

his reason is Trump doesn't apologise and isn't humble.

that's unequivocally right. That's what he built his entire campaign off of and is why his supporters like him.

>the talentless hack's talentless hack

Trump doesn't apologise when he isn't wrong and he is plenty humble with veterans and people he respects

like I said, he's wrong

>the talentless hack's talentless hack

norm plz i can handle all these keks

I don't like Fallon(don't really hate him either), but i would never criticize him for doing his job like he did with Trump(who i don't like either).

No see you're exactly the type of retard I'm talking about.

>So Letterman could grill someone and we all got to laugh.
i remember when just wouldn't stop doing madonna jokes(letterman tended to run shit in to the ground and was still funny somehow) and she got pissed a cursed him out on air. not sure if it was authentic though

lmao
>what grade do you teach?
>9-12
>So you need a grade 13 education then

btfo

fuck off illiterate shitter

In a word, yes. In three: yes he is. He would deride us mercilessly, of course. But he has that combination of traditional values and libertarian funnybone that we aspire to and admire.

>But he has that combination of traditional values and libertarian funnybone that we aspire to and admire.

gayest thing I've read all day

Not sure why standup itself isn't a 'good mainstream home' for Norm. Was it Woody Allen who gave American comedy the idea that you should use it as a leg-up to easier, more remunerative media, and ditch it at the first opportunity? Everyone since him seems to have been counting the days until they could quit live work forever, to the point that when a genius like Norm, who's obviously too good for TV, spends his life getting better and better at what he does, it's regarded as a strange, slightly sad turn of events.

Allen's trajectory may not be the best example?

He was writing for tv in his teens, and i'm not sure writing and directing films, at his rate, is not necessary easier. Only starring, like many comics would be.

I mean, Steve Martin's brilliance, all that incredible stuff that reinvented the form, all of that was, to Martin, just a means to the end of becoming that somnabulist dingus from Cheaper by the Dozen, the one where he's Queen Latifah's sidekick, and Sgt. Bilko.

Standup is the journey to getting your own pretentious show on cable tv about your boring life.

He's nothing like they usually turn out, but see Norm's comment about genius being followed by fucking idiots. I'd also argue that nothing Woody Allen has written since his films became character-based rather than joke-based has the invention or stamina of an average ten minutes of his stand-up.

Exactly. Though nobody wants to work harder than they need to, the drop-off in wit and energy and basic work ethic is treated as cause for celebration, which is weird.

Some of his films are really great, but I do agree that his standup was extraordinary.

youtu.be/M4ZjakSgc00

>Trump doesn't apologise when he isn't wrong
No, he just blatantly lies about it like when he told Matt Lauer he was always against the war in Iraq.

Yeah, and he didn't have the equivalent of Bergman or Fellini to riff off of when he did it. His stuff as a standup isn't to his predecessors what his comedy-dramas and dramas are to those guys.

Is the podcast weekly or what? Aren't we due a new episode?

gotta make sure vulture gets their money, eh?

>This is also why I like Fallon

this is where i stopped reading, as your opinions have no value to me.

>comedians are philosophers meme

is there a discipline more self deluded? seinfeld says the same bullshit about how comedians are the closest thing to philosophers that we have today, and it's total fucking nonsense.

comedians tell jokes. it will never be art - ever. they need to stop thinking that.

the divine comedy does not count as it's not even comedy.

>this is what the special snowflakes in the Bojack Horseshit fanbase actually believe
It's a subpar successor to Wilfred and Legit that only gets the breaks it gets because it has cartoon animals and as such gets judged on the same metric as Family Guy and South Park.

norm is one of the funniest people alive right now. he is also one of the best story tellers i've ever heard. like he'll do a 15 minute setup for the dumbest punchline of all time. that is funny as fuck.

he literally says schumer is shit several times, so yes

It is an artform. But painting isn't philosophy either. Neither is literature, not even very philosophically-informed literature.

So does anyone have a link for the epub? can't find anything on regular sites...

This is honest to Christ the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

is philosophy the only artform to you?

Have you ever read how hard Hitler gushes over single mothers and brave German women? The only thing Cred Forums hates more than kikes are MGTOWs, people who would literally allow their race to DIE rather than man up.

No, I was saying that comedy is an artform, but that being an artform doesn't make it philosophy, because no artform is philosophy.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This is good.

This book is cracking me up so far and he's a seriously talented writer.

wtf I hate trump now

He's a real human bean.

You don't meet them too often anymore in our social media dominated fake world.

mega:///#fm/K9QnmZpC

Who is the new guest

>All of you should be gutted and thrown into the ocean.

>[rational middleground intensifies]

U reading it? The end of chapter 4 wew boy...

>mega:///#fm/K9QnmZpC
thanks a lot, but whats the key?

how did you open the link?

I'm reading a physical copy but you're in for a treat. Stoked to discuss this book w you guys as more of us read it. 26 pages in and Norm had tears of genuine emotion in my eyes.

link doesn't work

i'm looking forward to it too. i'm not from US so i can't get my hands on a physical copy... need to wait for an epub but amazon doesn't have an ebook of it yet...
don't really know what to do with the link from

dad comedy

Just an FYI you could do a free audible trial and get his reading of it. If u go through Groupon you get two books, are able to get gifted one, and then another when you threaten to leave. 4 for free

>People should be individualistic.
>People should be in a way I am telling them to.

It's a nice trick, to get people to think they're super special, but only in the eyes of their leader, unfortunately.

Go back to your Jesus book, McDonald.

i already have the audiobook, but he talks so fucking slow and i barely understand him. he sounds like he was on oxycodon while recording the audioversion...

Lord knows I have

A FUCKING

LEAF
E
A
F

That sounds fucking fantastic 2bh

>not listening to audiobooks on 2x speed

The only exception is HP because the narrator is so fucking comfy so you do it at 1.5x

Not surprising that Cred Forums can't read.

it's free you dumb fuck

That was genuinely one of the most moving passages I've ever read.

>But mostlty, what do you expect from Jimmy Fallon?
>that subtle jab right in the middle of a compliment

i'd love to have an ebook version of the book but it's nowhere to be found, amazon doesn't have it, neither do any torrent sites and since i'm not from burgerland it would take a month to get a physical copy of the book, so i guess it looks like i have to stick to the shitty audiobook

u mad

Thanks for posting op.. i love norm and found this interesting

I've already read it you spastic. Hearing Norm read it seems fun. Get fucked.

I literally could not care less what Norm Macdonald thinks about comedy - because he isn't a comedian.

You can listen to audiobooks in situations where you can't read: cooking, driving, exercising. Just because you can read doesn't mean you have to.

thats funny because he's been a comedian for longer than you've been alive.

>we

not all of us are faggots user

Chimp out more that I don't like your favourite public speaker. Cunt.

This is great. Your reading comprehension failed when I accused you of not being able to read.

>ywn grow up with a friend like Old Jack

WAH

>treating books as background noise
>treating them as muzak

for what purpose

>don't like someone
>therefore try to deny his profession
you talking to a mirror, cunt?

I gotta respected the easily pleased.

That's legit fucking hilarious. I can't tell if the genius is from Trump or Norm's ability to see the funniest side of everything. I think I'm just more tickled at Norm's reaction.

tip top apex kek

Addendum:
The reason were discussing the audiobook version is because it's free you dumb fuck.

> mfw I did

try to deny he's a has-been and "has been" for decades now

Sam Hyde is far from a youtube star, his videos get shit views and his channel has been taken down multiple times. Not exactly sxephil or whoever exists these days.

he has threads here weekly. he just wrote a book. he was letterman's final comic. he has that livestream show.

Your definition of "not a comic" is "someone I don't like because I'm retarded"

Like I said, chimp out more.

newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/my-greatest-gig

This is a free excerpt and I know you goyim like the word "free."

so you have no proof he's not a comic.

great comeback, cunt.

The real story to this is even funnier.

>be professional comedian
>hate professional comedy

Who does this guy think he is, Bo Burnham?

"Has-been" means his greatest success is in the past.

>implying I am

*shrug*

*hug*

>hurr durr memes

kill yourself, cunt.

no one sustains great success throughout their entire career. Norm did more in his weird niche tenure than most comedians ever will.

To hate him for not being active anymore is retarded.

>arguing opinions

Yeah, the guy with the universally acclaimed show is really BTFO

who /listening to norm himself/ here?

>hurr durr
kill yourself youngling.

>an entire page for that setup

I don't know about some people but I think his comedy translates well into writing, can't help but superimpose his voice over all of this.

Are you a fan?

WHEN THE FUCK IS THE NEXT PODCAST??

AND FUCK ADAM EGAN

Yeah, so i'm a little biased admittedly.

But I think his usual joke length to gag ratio works well from what I've seen so far.

most people would take this seriously and get insulted but i love norm just a good laugh about everything. legend

Just as long as it doesn't become too predictable of a rhythm from him.

Fred Armisen has a similar story about Prince.

>egan
egret

more like regret, am i right?

This is better than Ryan Gosling at the grocery store.

GOP members are doing the same thing now when asked about Donald Trump.

>THIS IS Cred Forums

So I imagine since you're so pure Cred Forums you would all be in favor of removing all e-celeb, video game shit, meme threads, and waifu threads?

>I literally could not care less what Norm Macdonald thinks about comedy - because he isn't a comedian.

Just say you don't like him, instead of baiting for attention like some sad pathetic fuck.

Ha!

Words hurt.

Now we're talking!

youtu.be/lL0WayC7jW0

Norm is based. This conan interview is the best example, he destroyed Courtney Thorne-Smith's upcoming movie with carrot top and she was next to him

Obviously.

That's the most handsome picture.

>not the moth joke interview

youtube.com/watch?v=eE6QzDrT_x8

literally the greatest thing I've ever witnessed live on tv

Anyone remember this?
youtube.com/watch?v=A848xpsDJbw

Norm Macdonald is a fucking treasure

youtu.be/A848xpsDJbw

> is spelled B-O-R-E-D

FUCKING LOST IT.

Top tier Norm. That hook-nosed Arab could not handle the banter.

I don't even understand the setup. I just think the ritual itself is funny.

Monday according to JASH, whatever the fuck that is.

Where the fuck is episode 2 of season 3, you fuck?

ALL THE STARS ARE HERE

>she was cut by a sorcerer

topkek

>Deez mad bants

Who the fuck is Norm McDonald? I swear the people you alt-right kids idolize are unfunny hacks steeped in dad-humour anti-pc comedy.

He'd probably hate it, it's "meta/anti" comedy, and they have more unwarranted slef importance and more "we're the philosophers of our generation" than even big time hacks like Louis CK or Tim Heidecker.

>obsolete mule
Norm confirmed for wrestlekino.

Is there going to be a new podcast on Amazon tonight?

Norm isn't pro-Trump. He's a troll, but not an alt-right one.

He doesn't do much filthy material either.

What a stand-up guy and a great American.

>He gained weight for a role.

Now THAT'S comedy !

>he was in an Adam Sandler movie so he doesn't know what's funny.

All his roles in Sandler films have been cameos. Show me a shitty Adam Sandler movie Norm wrote and Starred in himself and I'll blow you.

Otherwise by extension of your logic you should kill yourself because you're wasting your time on a shitty gook image board.

I'm buying this fucking book.

Also this is the shit all female comedians have been relying on since they crawled out of the sea. From Sarah Silverman to Joan Rivers

youtu.be/kDzBVvhbtIw

The Animal is great. It's so inoffensively dumb that I don't know why people would be bothered by it.

You deserve quads for informing me of the audiobook.

I listen to them at work as I can't read them in my lunch break as its such s dirty job and never get time otherwise. Gonna get it now.

> did you see the great gatsby in 3D?

> it was almost like the sober examination of the unrestrained materialism and absent moral center of the roaring ‘20s jumped right out at you

topkek

I like Norm, and think he's kind of a minor comedy genius, not because he's "anti sjw" or any of the shit most of the retards on this website think about him. That said, Kaufmann hated being thought of as a "comic"

are you feeling euphoric right now?

that's because Andy did more than sets and jokes, which is all Norm does.

Everyone, everywhere, all the time, in any field of creative endeavor, in fact in any field of human endeavor, has both the right to criticize other's efforts and the eligibility to have their own criticized, in equal measure.

the guy literally cut up and ate another human being, not trump but this other guy in canada, Then he videotaped it and sent the tapes to the victims families. That wasn't all he also covered himself with blood and ran into a church completely naked, covered in blood and killed a priest!...im mean...im ...well im just gonna come out and say it...the guy was a real JERK.

I will literally support anything norm does so im super biased.But in any case the book is on its way and the podcast is better than ever so in short. norm is awesome.

he is a joke guy, he will use social relevancy for the context but not the message....there is always a joke...example:

Remember the old days when tweeting meant stabbing a hooker?

Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening. Love like you’ve never been hurt. And fuck like a goddamn retard.

College Freshman Scott Dameron set a new world record by using his head to bust 142 eggs and he now officially holds a place in the Guinness Book of Fucking Retards.
ok none of those jokes are relevant....but the subject of the jokes isn't always relevant to the punch line. The job of a joke is to make you laugh...not to make you think, they can do both but primarily its to make funny. Norm is a pragmatic comedic artist.

I love that his voice is so distinctive i can hear it when i read.

Right-click the file title, go to Download, choose Standard Download. When the file arrives, open it.

Laughed out loud.

After bombing Star Search

But that's not the case. Being half as funny as you were elsewhere on a famously unfunny show is not greater success than being one of the best comedians in your country and in the history of the medium, killing it while doing your own media your way, which is what he does now. Top of his game, man.

How is he projecting? You do express yourself like a teenager. It's right there for everyone to see.

I already put up the emeffing mega link, sir.

mega:///#fm/K9QnmZpC

>mega
I can't get the link to work either and I'm almost in tears with anticipation. Sorry I meant in tears with constipation, in tears with constipation.