"THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN" SPOILERS

In the 1870's, corrupt industrialist Bartholomew Bogue (Peter Sarsgard) besieges the mining town of Rose Creek, and slaughters a group of locals led by Matthew Cullen (Matt Bomer) when they attempt to stand up to him. Matthew's wife, Emma Cullen (Haley Bennett), and her friend, Teddy (Luke Grimes), ride to the nearest town in search of someone that can help them and come upon bounty hunter Sam Chisolm (Denzel Washington), who initially declines their proposal until he learns of Bogue's involvement.

Chisolm sets out to recruit a group of gunslingers who can help him, starting with Josh Faraday (Chris Pratt), a gambler and explosives expert. They are later joined by sharpshooter Goodnight Robicheux (Ethan Hawke), knife-wielding assassin Billy Rocks (Byung-hun Lee), skilled tracker Jack Horne (Vincent D'Onofrio), Comache warrior Red Harvest (Martin Sensmeier) and notorious outlaw Vasquez (Manuel Garcia-Rufio).

Arriving in Rose Creek, the seven engage in a gunfight with Bogue's enforcer McCann (Cam Gigandet) and his men and drive them away with a warning to leave Rose Creek alone. Surmising that Bogue and his forces will return in a week, the seven and Cullen train the townspeople to defend their home and grow fond of them. Robicheux, haunted by the horrors of Civil War and fearing that the locals will be massacred, abandons the group and is replaced by Cullen.

Bogue arrives with his forces and attacks the city, but the bandits are ambushed by the townspeople, during Robicheux rejoins the group, McCann is killed by Vasquez and Horne is killed by Comache assassin Denali (Jonathan Ross), who is then killed by Red Harvest.

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/15/denzel-washington-chris-pratt-the-magnificent-seven-interview?CMP=share_btn_tw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bogue unveils his secret weapon, a gattling gun, with which he kills numerous innocents. Realizing they're outgunned, the seven drive the townspeople away and mount their last stand. Robicheux and Rocks are killed by a second round of gunfire before Faraday sacrifices himself to drawn fire away from the others and is riddled by bullets. With his dying breath, he throws a stick of dynamite at the gattling gun, destroying it, and allowing the others to kill the rest of Bogue's men.

Bogue flees into town, where he is confronted by Chisolm, who reveals that Bogue and his men raped and murdered his mother and sisters during a raid several years back. The two engage in duel, in which Bogue is disarmed by Chisolm. Bogue is then fatally shot by Cullen while reaching for a hidden gun in his ankle holster.

In the aftermath, Faraday, Robicheux, Rocks and Horne are buried in town and honored by the people of Rose Creek as heroes, while Chisolm, Vasquez and Red Harvest ride off, with Cullen remarking that their heroism made them legends known as "The Magnificent Seven".

reddit

>caring at all for this movie

just saw it, would rate it 7/10
good action, characters aren't full blown cardboard characters like I feared.
and those sweaty boobies were nice to look at

Seems pretty by the numbers...

bored just reading it.

it is pretty much a by the numbers film
but it is a by the numbers Western, and we don't get them that often nowadays

>"I gotta say, it's pretty magnificent."

I honestly couldn't believe my ears.

It's pretty fun, man.

Cred Forums is always complaining about endless franchises and cinematic universes, so I imagine they'd be able to enjoy a pretty self-contained, character-driven, one-and-done old school action movie.

I love modern Hollywood.

>Add a completely pointless revenge angle
>Instead of the end reflecting on how they didn't actually win, now we get "You are now the legendary Magnificent Seven in 3D IMAX™"

walked right out of the theater

>all white male characters killed off

Really makes you think...

>we did it rust, we finally became true detectives

yeah, the last 5 minutes kinda sucked
but it is a solid, fun Western-Action-Movie

I agree with this poster. It's a fun action western. And personally I love westerns and all of their tropes and cliches, so while this movie might be boring for some it was all I really wanted.

I've seen almost all Seven Samurai/Magnificent 7 related stuff (even the chinese version) but this new one just looks MEH all over.

Are Pratt and D'Onofrio at least good in this?

Hawke > Washington > Pratt > D'Onofrio > The Ninja > The Mexican > The Indian

Debate me.

>Johnathan Ross
Why

I'm never going to see this. I even thought the original Magnificent Seven was overkill compared to Seven Samurai, so this was never on my radar.

But this entire interview is fucking hilarious:
>theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/15/denzel-washington-chris-pratt-the-magnificent-seven-interview?CMP=share_btn_tw

Pratt and Denzel completely avoid talking about politics and the interviewer just keeps on pressing them on it. Leads to some pretty cringeworthy reading and stupidity on both sides.

>I try another tack. The villain, played by Peter Sarsgaard, is a greedy industrialist whose only love is for land and power. Any current presidential candidates spring to mind? Washington is having none of it. “Nah. That’s what you may see. The audience may not.” I’m part of the audience, though. “Are you? You gonna pay to see the movie?” I’ve already seen it. “Are you gonna pay? Answer the question.” I tell him I would do had I not seen it. I start to explain that I paid to see Safe House and Unstoppable and many of his other films. But it’s too late. He’s already laughing and braying (“A-ha! See? Right?”) and wagging his finger triumphantly.

Pratt was better than expected and D'Onofrio gives a great performance, Denzel's good, too..
Hawke > Washington > D'Onofrio > Boobies > Pratt > Mexican > Indian > Ninja

>But it’s too late. He’s already laughing and braying (“A-ha! See? Right?”) and wagging his finger triumphantly.
Why would you publish and make this public to the world?

but it's a fucking remake

>theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/15/denzel-washington-chris-pratt-the-magnificent-seven-interview?CMP=share_btn_tw

>Literal cuck author gets assblasted by alpha men for half hour interview and whines when they don't scream diversity the entire time

>HOL' UP

that's the best you can get nowadays when it comes to blockbuster movies

Magnificent Seven 1960 is pure westernkino and a great re-telling/setting change from Seven Samurai, I don't see how it was overkill.

> not having the "In the end the farmers/villagers were the only winners" phrase

you blew it Hollywood.

you'd have a point if it wasn't for the final paragraph which completely undoes all their squirming and reluctance.

This bit is also so dumb I can't believe it was actually said:
>The film’s director, Antoine Fuqua, who coaxed Washington toward an Oscar-winning performance as a corrupt cop in Training Day, has said westerns “reflect where we are in the world”. So where exactly are we?

>Pratt wrinkles his nose. “Everything reflects,” he says. “Mirrors reflect.” He lets that comment hang in the air. “I’m just not sure exactly what that reflection looks like.”

that's like a nice way of saying 'fuck off you retard'

I only see the reporter being stupid.

Holy shit, stop trying to force Trump and Hilary onto everything. Greedy barons are the bread and butter of western villains for decades.

he's stupid for reading obvious, INTENDED subtext into the film?

read the final paragraphs from the director.

>"I understood this"
>"That's fine, but it may not be what other people will understand"
>"But it's this, right? Pls validate my intelligence"

politics really killed this board, ha?

as long as you admit he's not stupid for seeing obvious subtext that a 5 year old could surmise.

What a fucking rat bastard that interviewer is. I mean, it's clear that Pratt and Washington just want to talk about the movie and how cool doing a western is but the dude is like "BUT WHAT ABOUT READING INTO IT AND WHAT ABOUT TRAMP AND SHIT"

Sometimes a whale is just a whale, Guardian writer.

Seriously who reads the Guardian anymore?

Good on Pratt and Washington, not everything has to become politics and I honestly don't give a shit about an actors opinion on a politician. I'll make exceptions for those that have some sort of experience or education outside of acting though like Arnie or Clint Eastwood since at least they were both in politics.

Is it dadcore? I haven't seen a movie with my dad since Django Unchained.

Politics has killed everything. This election year is unsurprisingly one of the worst years for films in general.

Side note, who the fuck thought it was a good idea to keep this PG-13? The bodycount and (relatively minor) gore were fucking impressive.

Oh no question.

I mean obviously it depends on your dad's taste but it's got great actors' bantz and some pretty fantastic shootouts. Has a real classical feeling to it.

>"Everything reflects. Mirrors reflect. I'm just not sure what the reflection looks like."

Caspere knew this

he was searching for thoughtful movie stars who could offer something more substantive than "JUST TURN OFF YOUR BRAIN, BRO"

Read their interview with Viggo Mortisen for a completely different reaction to political questions. He actually comes across as intelligent and engaged with the world.

Pratt>Ethan Hawke>Law and Order>Denzel>Cherokee>Orient>Mexicano

It's not particular to The Guardian (who broke the Snowden files and Panama Papers so they're kind of a big deal)

British press are more inclined to talk about current issues than the brown nosing, celebrity worshipping American press.

Like that news reporter trying to get Tarantino to talk about race and violence and getting his "butt shut down," even though the entire film was about race and violence.

left with an indian, a mexican, a black and a woman.

this world sickens me

I mean it's not even that they were telling him to "just turn his brain off". They didn't want to talk about politics in a movie where politics weren't really involved.

You want a western movie that dabbles in politics go check out Hell Or High Water, a movie I really liked. It's geared more towards a moral grey area, lot of subtext to be garnered from there.

that's what you took home from the movie?

How dare non-whites live amirite

But the whites die honorably, especially D'Onofrio.

Surprising they'd kill Pratt.

Denzel's character was guaranteed to live since he's the Kambei/Chris Adams of the group, don't know about the other ones though.

did this movie follow the same formula for the characters or were they different?

(Old master, guy with knives, broke drifter, rookie, etc)

most fun movie I've seen all year

That's about where I'd rate it, too. Solid good time with some genuine moments in it. The first scene had me worried, but it all came together quite nicely.

>I always been good with one-eye Jacks

That was where I realized this movie wasn't fucking around. Well that and D'onofrio getting arrowed by that Indian faggot.

Liked that the movie wasn't afraid to kill off some of the best characters to give some actual fucking weight to it.

Also Hawke training the farmers was fucking stellar.

>hollywood can't ruin this with an unnecessary sequel

>not having the "In the end the farmers/villagers were the only winners" phrase
It would seem that they excised the whole "age of the gunslinger is dying," part of the plot altogether and replaced it with some revenge story. Why they would choose to remove the fucking bedrock of the original story, I have no idea.

They can just remake it again.

>did this movie follow the same formula for the characters or were they different?

It's quite similar to the original regarding the survivors being the leader, the youngest and the one who didn't deserve to live

Saw the movie today.
It's basically just "Magnificent Chris Pratt featuring 3 other guys and plus 3 more other guys no one gives a fuck about"

the indian was the young gun?

Well I assumed you did considering it's literally the final line in the movie before the end credits.

Yep. The other was Vasquez, and might be a bit of a stretch to consider a similarity with Shichiroji, but seeing how he laments how he survived instead of the young ones and the Mexican was the only convict of the bunch, it fits a little.

The movie has a few direct nods to the original (Billy's intro scene is clearly Kyuzo's duel homage) but lacks a lot of the spirit that Sturges managed to get right back in 1960. Still fun, nonetheless, and for some reason I could only think of fucking Bane when D'Onofrio spoke.

>Everything reflects Ray. You, me. Caspere knew this. I look into that reflection, eye to eye, but I'm just not sure what it looks like. Not yet. Gotta keep on movin' Ray.