twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/779790461737271296
youtu.be/wGch8BsduiI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>double-headpieced employees re-activate the ghost portal
>doctor does a whizz with the sonic
>martha jones's cousin shrieks then collapses
>mrs torchwood says "oh my god you killed her"

doctorwho is dead. long live whogeneral

You're literally forgetting the most obvious one: the soldier he let the Dalek antibodies kill in Into the Dalek.

>martha jones's cousin

It's a standard trope used in many things.

Me and my friend were talking about the whole "there will be no 2 parters in series 7 because 2 parters are shit//every episode in series 9 will be 2 parters because???" thing and it got me thinking

Do you think the huge number of 2 parters in S9 was a money saving/pooling scheme? Can reuse sets, actors, costumes etc for multiple episodes

What is your opinion on this?

I found myself saying "it was probably to save money because you can reuse sets/actors etc" but I don't actually know. It is a very weird turnaround for Moffat to go from "2 parters are shit" to "here's six 2 parters"

Mind you, I also think it's probably more down the The BBC than Moffat

I'm not so sure they reused enough. None of them were confined to the same set.

Honestly yes.

But that barely applies.

Magician/Witch had different sets, Girl/Woman were completely different sets, Heaven/Hell were completely different sets.

Yeah, thinking about the episodes themselves, they didn't seem bound to just a couple of sets. But perhaps the guest actor/costume/prop budget could be stretched a little further?

Also, I feel like having two parters meant that the actual stories themselves could enjoy a little more scope, and do more with the ideas. Some more breathing room. So it could have been a creative decision due to that, and due to how mediocre S7 was with its all-one-parters mentality.

Did /who/ like having two parters? I like it from a post-airing perspective, being able to marathon both parts at once, but I don't really like having to wait a week for the resolution to a story. And sometimes the pacing can be a bit off, with the first part being about fucking nothing and it all really going down in part 2

Yeah they literally went full contrarian and did 2 parters but tried to make each part different.
That means they couldn't amortize costs over 2 eps or save on reuse of sets.
Only Moffat logic would lead to making 2 part stories like two single stories.

I enjoy anticipation when story is good.

On the other hand, the ghosts-and-lake two-parter turned a waste of two episodes instead of one.

>the first part being about fucking nothing
That is shit writing. If any classic story had 50% filler it would be ripped apart and laughed at as an example of how writing 'used to be' crap.

The "RTD format" hasn't been really been bettered. Something like this, although samey, just seems to work...

1: Single
2: Single
3: Single
4/5: Two parter
6: Single
7: Single
8/9: Two parter
10: Single
11: Single
12/13: Two part finale

Although I will admit I like Moffat's way of opening with a two-parter, as long as it's not too "heavy". But I'm not fond of him ending series with one-parters, cos they often feel rushed or messy. Maybe they should open and close a series with two-parters, have a two-parter in the middle somewhere, and keep the rest singles.

Moffat tends to enjoy making his two-parters like very seperate episodes. Or his Part 2s start somewhere other than the cliffhanger moment (Day of the Moon, for example, begins 3 months later). He once said it's because he doesn't like traditional cliffhanger resolutions because "it feels like the characters have been frozen in time for a whole week" (which is downright stupid, but whatever). Series 9 seemed like his attempt to make all the series like his way of doing two-parters.

Also, it was probably more effective for production: each director could do two episodes in each block of two.

Filler can be done well, like for example in Inferno with Pertwee. The paralell universe stuff was all filler, but it really added to the story and gave it a grander scope than it otherwise would have had. I feel Inferno would have been a bit shit without it.

Also the "constantly getting thrown into different jails" in Frontier In Space was even enjoyable for me because it gave us more Doctor/Jo interaction

Filler doesn't need to be shit

It's a GOAT format. I can't picture the show any other format.

Ironically, two of Moffat's finest cliffhanger resolves continue directly on from the preceeding week (The Doctor Dances & Flesh and Stone). I've never found his "start Part 2 somewhere else" approaches very effective.

As long as they shake it up content-wise, it just seems to work. RTD also had the luxury of bringing classic monsters back for the first time, so his mid-series two parters had quite big 'hooks' (eg. Sontarans, Cybermen).

Series 6 was initially split because of the typical "mid series slump" but I reckon that was mostly cos the middle of the series had started to become a bit stale and uneventful.

No sorry but I have to disagree. A story build up with character and plot progression, like Inferno, is not my definition of filler, that is storytelling.

The parallel story shows us the terrible consequences of the drilling and amps up the tension.

Escape/capture loops, yes that is often filler, but I agree that actual filler can be entertaining if done unobtrusively.

Moffat actively evades cliffhanger resolutions which is possibly autism.

If we're honest, most Part 3s of four-episode serials tended to hold a lot of padding. Just plodding about before Part 4 resolved everything. Massive generalisation, but often true. But let's not also forget, sometimes classic serials were just given set amounts of episodes that they had to fill, as opposed to being handed as many (or as few) as they needed. People give classic Who flak for padding, but sometimes there wasn't much choice.

New Who has no real excuse for padding, with how quick the episodes are.

no.

>If any classic story had 50% filler
They all did.

Regardless of how a story is divided up, that period after the setup and before the resolution is difficult.
It's not unique to dr who it happens in novels, plays, anything.

I used to think it was because he wanted to be seen as "clever" or something. The first time he did it, I was taken by surprise and I enjoyed the subversion. But now I'm tired of it. Maybe I'm old fashioned but if you put characters in a big cliffhanger moment, I want to come back a week later to that exact moment and find out what happens next. Not cut to three months later or start the story elsewhere. It feels like evasion, only sometimes works, and makes the cliffhanger feel less exciting.

Oh, okay. Constructive. Thanks for adding to the discussion.

50%+ of your posts are shitty bait.

I think part of the issue, also, is that people are too quick to go "PADDING!!!" when, actually, a lot of the time it's actually extra character moments, or world-building.

Agreed. The little plot loops, dialogue scenes, relaxed build up etc all add to the world building effort and, unless they are badly written, add to the entertainment and the immersion.
Also new who has little time for multiple plots strands in the main. And you almost never see scenes of the bad guys plotting, in fact most villains today hardly get an dialogue compared to classic ones.

Another big difference between classic and new is that, in the new series, you typically get the Doctor in 95% of scenes (unless it's a Doctor-lite). Literally everything happens with the Doctor on screen. In classic Who, you could go for long stretches or multiple scenes of story, character and world-building whilst the Doctor was away from the action. Not so in modern Who. It's too fast and frenetic for that.

The Invasion sprang to mind immediately. It's probably too slow even by 60s standards to be honest, but all the scenes of Vaughn in his officer with the Cyber-controller are great. You just would never get that anymore, unless Doctor Who went back to being multiple episode serial based.

Exactly what I mean by plot strands.
The companion is rarely seperated for long. Villains do not get isolated scenes discussing plans. We don't se the story from several angles etc etc

And none of the great scenes with him giving PACKEEEERRRR! a severe bollocking for fucking up etc etc
The professor bloke would get 6 lines and then killed in new who.

I've always thought it'd be interesting if they experimented with a modern two parter. Have the Doctor and companion seperated, by location or time. Part 1 is the entire story from the Doctor's POV, complete with resolution. Part 2 is the same story, but from the companion's very different POV. It'd have to be something pretty special to pull off and to convince people to watch the same basic story twice, but I think it'd be an interesting one-off experiment. Show the consequences of what the Doctor's doing from his POV, then the following week re-tell the story but angle it all from the companion (who might be with completely different characters, or the same characters as they flit between the two, etc.)

The Witch's Familiar is the first time Moffat has balanced the 'start the 2nd episode on a wildly different note' with 'provide a sensible resolution to the cliffhanger', unless you are a bit generous to The Big Bang.

You only have to compare Vaughn and Packer to, say, Lumic and Mr Crane. Both partnerships work (Lumic's a bit hammy but let's gloss over that), but you get a much better idea, sense and feeling of Vaughn and Packer. So much more to those two than the other two.

I wish the show could change how it appeals to families. It's a bit too much on the childish side. It doesn't require condescending dialog and resolutions to appeal to children.

If you intercut both strands, Doctor and companion, then the audience need not even be aware of the 50/50 split or either character disappearing noticeably.

The Big Bang kind of sucked desu.

>Almost every major villain that has appeared in NuWho traps him in a box
>he gets out with the sonic screwdriver

That was lame. Especially when so many episodes things are "deadlocked sealed" and he can't use the sonic.

I'd give it to The Big Bang, to be honest. But yeah, he's only pulled it off well twice.

An entire episode of immediately forgotten filler followed by the cliffhanger instantly sidestepped and forgotten in part 2.

No.

When you put it like that, yeah, fair enough. But it was the first time that Moffat properly pulled the rug out from under us, and to me that felt like a shock and also quite a fresh, bold experiment. We were all expecting more of the Alliance, for the cliffhanger resolve to carry on with the Doctor in the Pandorica (somehow), but The Big Bang undercuts everyone and everything by starting elsewhere. Ultimately it was a bit pants, but I admire him for being bold and trying it.

Bit of a shame that became his go-to template for two-parters and cliffhangers though.

Inferno has a lot of filler though.
It's still a good serial though.

The Magician's Apprentice really is just boring setup in hindsight, isn't it?

Snakeman (sidestepping the question of why Davros chose this random snake man as his sidekick?) just wanders about asking where the Doctor is, whilst Missy and Clara find the Doctor who's gone walkabouts, then they all end up on Skaro and only then does any kind of story begin.

Er, which two-parter are you talking about? Neither of the ones I mention involve a 'sidestepped and forgotten' cliffhanger.

I like the idea that they made it easy to open from the outside just in case they realised later that they mega fucked up. They must have had suspicions.

You have not read this thread carefully.

The Alliance aren't exactly the brightest bunch either. Even the Daleks, for some reason, believe "only the Doctor can pilot the TARDIS." Um.

It was lame water treading from the first watch as far as I'm concerned. Super obvious filler, all forgotten.

It's spinning its wheels from after the titles until Clara faces off with Missy. (I always manage to suppress the bit where Clara actually tells her students to tweet a hashtag, what was Moffat thinking?) Missy's interactions with Clara and 12 are important for theme though, I would have added more of that and reduced the messing around.

Snakeman wandering through various places (all fan-pleasing stuff, like Karn and the Shadow Proclamation) should've been a minisode prior to the episode.

The tank scene also smacks of padding, cos that goes on longer than necessary. It's like Moffat came up with the visual of the Doctor rocking out on a tank, then lobbed it in for no good reason. That scene could literally be cut in half and still do what it needs to.

Snakeman also goes looking for the Doctor, pointlessly because, um, the Dalek puppets are already out and about ready to capture the Doctor. Big beardy man is a Dalek puppet, so if he knew where the Doctor was, why was Snakeman lost and confused as to his whereabouts?

The Missy/Clara stuff is good fun, but ultimately all a bit aimless. UNIT, pfft.

It was supposed to be a trap for the Doctor, to make him curious.

You make it sound like "can only be opened by sonic screwdriver from the outside, while the only sonic screwdriver user is locked inside" is a weak defence.

Only time paradox saved Doctor.

>Clara actually tells her students to tweet a hashtag,
What was wrong with that?

Peri and the Piscon Paradox does something very similar to what you describe (telling the story from disc 1 seen through a different point of view in disc 2) albeit a bit more complex (there are another Doctor and an older Peri added into the mix).

Yeah, it's all just nonsense and mucking around. Cut to the chase. Have the episode open with Missy gatecrashing Clara's lesson. Why? Because the Doctor's gone missing. Thus Missy shocks Clara, "I'm back!", kidnaps her, then they have the confrontation. This then leads into the confession dial reveal, then they head off to find the Doctor, then they get to Skaro.

Yes, nearly all made of things without lasting consequence or even much significance at all.

Moffat pretending to understand technology. See also: "snog box" as though it's a modern phrase; "desktop theme" which was a phrase 5 years out of date even in 2007; mentions of fucking Habbo and Bebo (which haven't been relevant since, what, 2008? earlier?) in a 2013 episode.

But people do tweet hashtags.

The confrontation doesn't work unless there is some kind of power play between Missy and Clara though.

They do. But not "#theplaneshavestopped". And a teacher wouldn't tell their kids to tweet a hashtag. They'd maybe ask kids to look it up, or find a news website.

>It was supposed to be a trap for the Doctor,
Yeah. That could be opened with the sonic screwdriver... Something The Doctor almost always has.

>You make it sound like "can only be opened by sonic screwdriver from the outside, while the only sonic screwdriver user is locked inside" is a weak defence.
Why would they allow it to be opened at all? They could have just "deadlocked sealed" it like so many other episodes.

>Only time paradox saved Doctor.
The Paradox wouldn't have worked if The Sonic hadn't.

I'm not saying the episodes are awful I just think the way The Doctor escaped The Pandorica was lame. Granted I probably couldn't write anything better myself though.

But if you see out the window that a plane has frozen in mid-air, your first response probably isn't going to be to come up with a hashtag and instruct all the kids in the room to start tweeting it. What would ~20 kids spamming something even achieve compared to the rest of the national media? It was very random. It felt a bit like Moffat was trying to entice Twitter-happy kids into some kind of live roleplay.

My point was more about skipping the nonsense and mucking around with planes and UNIT, and cutting to the chase. You could get Clara and Missy to their confrontation much more effectively, even if you still wanted Missy to lure Clara to her.

You could easily do this story without Missy at all. The 'last will and testament' thing seems to be why she's there and that seems to me like an early idea which became something totally different by the series' end.

You've said it much better than me. It made me think of when adults tried to write teenager Ace in the 80s and it was all a bit laughable and wrong and cringeworthy.

Missy and Clara fucking around on Scaro seems to be what this all was about, everything else is just flimsy justification.

Or maybe I just feel that way because it's "Steven Moffat retcons show's lore in attempt to make some drama" A-plot.

I forgot the planes. 100% pointless filler.

Completely agreed. There's too much mucking about with inconsequential stuff, which takes up time that could've been spent on, say, scenes showing more Davros/Snakeman and their partnership. Why him? Where'd Snakeman come from? And more Missy/Clara stuff. But nahhhh, let's just chuck it to the wind and visit Karn! And the Shadow Proclamation! And a space bar! And ooh, the planes could all stop! And Missy pops out of a UNIT monitor!

Did she really tell them to twit? I don't remember?

Logically, this days if something happen and you want to have more testimonies, you search hashtags.

Does Clara do one significant thing on Skaro? This gets worse the more you analyse it.

Missy shoves her in a can and uses her to sneak into the Dalek city, then nearly tricks the Doctor into executing her. Clara doesn't get a very good time of it. She does end up inadvertently inspiring the Doctor to go back and help Davros though.

12 and Davros scenes were the real meat of the episodes.

Rather uninteresting meat, if you ask me.

Haha! Both of them were acting and lying!

Nah.

The Caretaker is the best 12th Doctor episode. It's funny, it's sharp, there's a great villain and raw, emotional scenes as well.

Prove me wrong.

>100% pointless filler.
What it actually is is showmanship. Moffat isn't desperately racking his brains to fill space, he is trying to make something extravagant for the opening episode of a series. What seems to be a mysterious threat to the Earth turns out to be nothing more than Missy (a big character, to say the least) ringing the doorbell so the real plot can start.
The obligatory trips around the star wars bar and Karn with snakeman is all about this as well, trying to establish the territorial reach of the story and show as galactic, before shrinking it down to Davros' basement and a grotty sewer.

>there's a great villain
Go to bed Gareth.

True, I hope they get the guy who wrote it back for Series 10. He seems to be pretty good at writing for Who.

Never explain, never complain.

Parthenogenesis of the Daleks.

Remember this title.

A clock that once had stopped will start to tick... again.

>desperately racking his brains to fill space
Filler. Thank you.

Something as simple as a Dalek killing a likeable character before the Doctor's eyes as great stands there, powerless would be enough to make them scary again. Also, the victim screaming and no music would also greatly help it.

Why do "something extravagant" in the first place? Why not just tell the story rather than try to artificially inflate the scale of the episode and throw in a false start to confuse the audience? It's all cheap spectacle with little dramatic value. The same as filler, in terms of relevance to the story.

Replace the minotaur with a Dalek and this scene will make everyone shiver.

youtu.be/WrsqPSy9Op0

Yeah, other writers rack their brains and come up with a good episode.
Hollow spectacle is just a slightly polished turd.

Just write an episode that treats them as scary. The characters are scared of them, there is horror movie influence in how they are shown, that's all there is to it. You don't need to do anything as paint-by-numbers as "they kill a character who is likable" because at the end of the day that's a cheat (the horror of being killed by a Dalek should be universal) and doesn't fix the real problem.

The Daleks have only ever been scary when they've been framed as scary by the things around them. This shouldn't be difficult, but almost no recent Dalek episode has even tried to do it. Possibly because they have been more interested in showing them off as merchandisable and wacky items.

To be scary they have to be a convincing threat. That's it.

No one's gonna be scared if they kill an unlikeable character though.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

That reminds me of the cushion rant from Coupling

How to make the Daleks scary again:

Show them killing a child, horrifically, as the child's mother watches helplessly with the Doctor from a monitor. Not exterminating, but suckering the kid's head like they did to the scientist in Doomsday.

No one's gonna be scared of them if they kill someone's who's been a cunt to the Doctor. That'll be the exact opposite actually, they'll just be happy they killed him.

I don't understand, cats, what do you mean?

This would actually be very good.

Respectfully disagree.
Even if we're privately not that bothered that a character is going to get killed, it can still be a scary as fuck scene with the right direction.
Conversely, something can be scary even if no-one gets killed at all. The scene where 12, Clara and Rupert are trying not to look at the thing under the blanket has induced goosebumps in viewers, not because there's proof of harm done, but because the scene creates tension so skilfully.

GOAT scene from the GOATest Series 6 episode.

That is not what scary means at all.

>tfw you realise that Clara's Face the Raven death is basically a rehash of this scene

>Wita pwease pwease

Exactly. The Daleks casually killing an evil ally is potentially more scary.
It amps up the threat, making them more threatening to the protagonists.

>It's "companion facing the reality of being someone who ditched their live for time travel" episode
>It's Father's Day 3: Mobile Boogalo
>It's ominous shit omens ominously episode
>It's "Aliens aren't actually aliens" episode

8/10 it's fine.

Yeah but in this case making the Doctor powerless as he watches his "friend" die would have way more impact if he was likeable and friendly to him than if it was just a random cunt.

KEK he ran away again m8 and deleted him talking about VPN use. Quality keks.

>m8

Show them puncturing a hole in the diseased lung of a malnourished African child and liquefying them from within with acid while making them watch the slow death of their pet dog who has just been run over by the dalekmobile and firebombing their parents' village, all while the Doctor stares on helplessly through a screen and has to listen to their cries of agony that continue for 10 minutes. This happens at the end of a story and is followed by silent credits.

Let Mark Gatiss write them

Exactly this.

They haven't really been a serious, deadly, dangerous credible threat since S1.

twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/779730844256567296

I don't think anyone's ever truly going to bother writing the 'horror episode with Daleks' because Daleks are seen as better for explosive action stories, while horror stories just go with a new and specially designed "spooky" monster.

From this...

To this?

...to this :/

EXTERMINIEREN

The Cock-Faced Man is a fucking disgrace. What a shit story that was.

It's better if you just accept that the Daleks are going to stay slightly camp and absurd, as they are known by British culture. 'Dalek' was an anomaly in the timeline of the series.

Didn't the person who wrote this story have a mental breakdown after the negative reception?

No.

She read the reviews on Outpost Skaro and called Russell crying.

The whole story smells of total bullshit. It's strange how RTD usually says he rewrote everything from scratch and should really get a screen credit on them until this story by a woman who is also his personal friend.
If she genuinely went on DW forums expecting blanket praise, then she must be pretty dumb or painfully naive.
Also the 2 part story is uttter shit from beginning to end.

The Daleks turn people into pig slaves!

Why?

Bu..... PIG SLAVES! It's cool! Right?

No?

You fucking misogynist scum!

RTD was ill and didn't get to edit Daleks in Manhattan much, if at all. But yes, Raynor being naive is very silly. She should've known better. And, I'm not being funny, but that story deserved negative reviews.

Shame really though, especially after such a good outing in Series 1. If they'd continued along that sort of path, things may've been a lot different. But the next time the Daleks appear after Series 1, they're bitching with Cybermen and then they're making pig slaves.

>RTD was ill and didn't get to edit Daleks in Manhattan much
I'd say that that is so obviously a massive excuse to avoid saying he edited a woman's script but that is just my opinion. What were there NO other script editors? hmm

It's quite funny really. Hoist on his own petard. Doesn't want to be seen rewriting Helen's script and then she gets 100% of the blame for it being actual shit.

I don't think gender comes into it, to be honest. RTD script edited everyone, regardless, (aside from Moffat and Greenhorn on the grounds that they'd had their own shows and he knew he could just leave them to it) and Raynor herself was also a script editor too.

They shouldn't have let her write the episode about Daleks. But what is unforgivable is giving her Sontaran two-parter.

>So, we have this woman Raynor who wrote an episode of campy monsters plotting evil plan which everyone hated and two low-key Torchwood episodes that were pretty good.
>Let's give her some more campy monsters to write

Curiously, wasn't Moffat originally down to do the Dalek two-parter in S3? I'm sure he's stated that somewhere (possibly DWM), before things changed and he got the Doctor-lite.

But yes. The mind boggles as to why Raynor got the Sontarans after Series 3. Maybe RTD thought she'd do better with a second go, but you'd at least give her a low-key single parter. I think you can see RTD's editing influences on the Sontaran story though.

>I don't think gender comes into it, to be honest. RTD script edited everyone
You just said he didn't edit Helen much, that is the point.

Yes, RTD is NEVER shy of saying he basically rewrote Shearman and Cornell etc so much that the stories ended up his work. Everyone except Moffat really.
But he was 'too ill' to edit Helen..... personal opinon only but I say 'bollocks' to that.

Well you're saying RTD didn't want to admit to editing a woman's script. That's not the case. He was ill around that time (and also busy with SJA/Torchwood), and didn't get to edit Raynor's script as much as he'd have liked. If you choose not to believe that, fine, but you're wrong.

>He was ill around that time (and also busy with SJA/Torchwood)
Oh and NOW he was 'too busy' as well.

Sure.

Okay, let's agree to disagree then because I can't be arsed arguing any further.

Why is this theme so fucking awful?

youtube.com/watch?v=p1obF1HlofQ

Look Edward, clockworks!

Because Murray Gold has no feel for the piece at all. Never has. This version is actually somewhat better than all the rest.
How many shit attempts has he had now?

The worst modern theme. Let's be honest, they've all got progressively worse since 2005.

progressively worse since 1980 mate

It's better than the Matt Smith ones.

The Series 4 theme is Rassilon-tier GOAT.

>NeonVisual top comment

Because Murray Gold is sick and tired of Doctor Who. Has been for a few years now.

It really isn't.

The Matt Smith ones didn't even sound like Doctor Who.

Okay captain troll.

Then why hasn't he left?

Moff also wanted I Am The Doctor to continue into Capaldi's era but Gold fought against it. Surprised Gold survived and wasn't pushed out by Moff.

It's not troll they didn't even have the bass.

I am in full agreement with you and was about to say this bass thing when you posted.

Smith's first theme, bass or no bass, is better than the cat strangle that is Capaldi's theme.

So when are they bringing RTD, Tennant, Billie, and Barrowman back?

Jesus Christ, the S8 theme has an awkward Middle 8 - it doesn't even fit in well with the rest!

>it's not the middle 8 it's tune B or chorus

The middle 8 is the only good aspect of that theme...
...and they don't even use it in the show.

>The middle 8 is the only good aspect of that theme.
Nice shitposting

Anything's better than the main theme, let's be honest. Murray Gold either needs to just leave - it's been 11 fucking years - or they need a new composer to work with him. Same with Briggs and monster voices, which now all sound samey and he's clearly run out.

calling it the middle 8 is a common misconception but I wouldn't call them idiots

I was calling you an idiot, but never mind.

You're correct. It's not in the middle of the full piece bridging two halves neither is it 8 bars long.

is there a new series yet?
last one was terrible.

no. bye.

I know mate I was taking the literal piss out of you.

How can The Doctor be in Class if it's going to include "adult" shit and gay sex? Isn't this going to confuse the fuck out of the demographic?

nice bait

but every series is terrible, I don't know why I even watch this

It's just a cameo most likely. The show sounds awful though.

Maybe they'll edit it for brodcast on BBC ONE? They did the same with Torchwood series two for the kids

>How can The Doctor be in Class if it's going to include "adult" shit and gay sex? Isn't this going to confuse the fuck out of the demographic?
It's stupid. They shouldn't have done it. But then nobody seems to know who the target audience is for any of it. Social media, merchandise, the main show, Class... it all seems so unfocused and confused.

Doctor Who Theme original arrangement with actual middle 8 bridge in the middle and it's 8 bars long.

youtube.com/watch?v=75V4ClJZME4

Still the GOAT theme

The BBC have come out and said that kids shouldn't watch Class because of the blood and the dark themes and the sex and the god knows what else; yet they've also come out and announced that Capaldi, the star of a popular programme geared towards children, will be in it.

So which is it?

Is 10 year old Jimmy-John going to turn on BBC3 next month expecting a nice cozy little Coal Hill adventure and instead will be greeted by a large, throbbing penis?

This show just sounds like it's being edgy for the sake of being edgy. I imagine Capaldi's Doctor will probably break into a monologue consisting 90% of swear-words when defeating the giant vagina monster from the planet Clitoris Delta.

I'll still tune in.

The best by far including the slightly different mix of the same thing for Troughton onward.

> popular programme
> geared towards children
> zygon invasion
> heaven sent
> ...

Capaldi isn't playing the Doctor in it, he's playing Malcolm Tucker.

So my understanding is that it's Torchwood babies. For older fans who wish Doctor Who was edgy.

RTD didn't want Doctor to appear on Torchwood because he didn't want kids to watch, but it might be his personal call.

>I imagine Capaldi's Doctor will probably break into a monologue consisting 90% of swear-words
Reminds me of this gem
youtube.com/watch?v=5Blf073f2Lc

>This show just sounds like it's being edgy for the sake of being edgy. I imagine Capaldi's Doctor will probably break into a monologue consisting 90% of swear-words when defeating the giant vagina monster from the planet Clitoris Delta.
Yep, and scientists will notice unusual seismic activity in the neighbourhood of Mary Whitehouse's grave

Martha was on there though.

As was Captain Jack, who was also a key character in Doctor Who itself :P

(It's very noticeable how Jack's character suddenly changes whenever he jumps into Torchwood or back to Doctor Who again)

Pick your GOATest scene from Series 6

Here's mine: youtu.be/WrsqPSy9Op0

>Scene

The entire 45 minutes of Closing Time. Except the closing moments that Steven Moffat wrote.

Yeah, he's a boring mopey prick on Torchwood.

Best could have been companion ;_;

youtube.com/watch?v=8i77XXSvS40

That's lame !

Yeah they ruined Jack.

At least they invested in a slow motion camera for that rather than just reducing the framerate

Pathogenesis of the Daleks by Mark Gatiss

No.

Coincidentally she hasn't written a Who script since.

She wrote The Sontaran Strategem and Poisonous Sky since then.

The Girl Who Waited, where Rory has to choose between the two Amys

11's reaction to the Brig dying.

I like 6's smug smile.

Perfect!

What?

In the middle of Arc of Infinity right now. Really enjoying 5 with just Nyssa. Cherishing it coz no good companions until Ace.

Been through 2/4 of Doom Coalition 3. It seems nice.

I don't understand why they decided to call those anthologies the same name when they are in fact completely different. What is this coalition anyway?

How many 12th Doctor dies in spooky castle in midde of ocean in span of 4 and a half billion years?

>What is this coalition anyway?
I've been asking the same question since DC1 came out.
I'm starting to think we'll learn that in the last episode of the last boxset.

If every cycle lasted a week, it would be about 230 billion.

Final lines in the last episode:

Eighth Doctor: "I've got it!"

Liv: "What?"

Eighth: "Together, we are a coalition that makes doom for our enemies."

Helen: "Er, I suppose."

Eighth: "Indeed. Anyone up for tea?"

This

Great moment, in a travesty of an episode.

It's a solid 6 desu.

It's a mess, but it's at least a somewhat solid mess. I'd say 6 is fair. I'm eager to rewatch Matt's run.

I did recently, my opinion didn't change much. Series 5 is still fucking fantastic. Series 6 is actually underrated but still not particularly great. Once you get past the fact that it's a fucking mess there's some really good episodes there, but as a whole it's still worse than 5. Series 7 is just...Christ. I don't think there's a single episode I'd rate above 7. Just a weak as fuck quality series. All the episodes are either average or shit, there's like nothing truly worth watching there.

I still might be too much of a Smithfag to admit that you're right about series 7. But when the Blu-Ray finally arrives, we'll see.

Wew lads.

Am I the only one that prefers series 6 to series 5? The last couple of episdoes is great but Eleventh Hour aside it gets off to a really shaky start. Series 6 hits the ground running.

Agreed. Moffat had way to much on his plate during Series 7 and production was a mess.
Series 8/9 have been such a breath of fresh air in comparison.

>Series 6 hits the ground running.
For two episodes then it's mostly shit.

Series 6 has some good episodes but the arc ruined things.
The best were non arc stuff like Girl Who Waited, God Complex, and Doctor's wife.

I like how you can tell the same person has made the last 2 threads because they're too retarded to link them properly

Series 5 is just a better idea executed more confidently. It has its underwhelming episodes but they absolutely nail a tone and style, the characters all work (Amy in particular was never this good again), the major story beats all work, and it gets better as it goes along.
I appreciate the more ambitious episodes in series 6 and what that gives Smith to play with, and it has some stunners that rival 5's best, but it ultimately goes too tits-up for me to ever call it better than 5.

You're sorta right... it takes series 5 until about... midway through the Angels two parter to really find it's legs. Eleven isn't even proper Eleven until 'Vampires of Venice'.. But they're all winners from there. Series 6 is more spread out quality wise, which kinda dilutes it. I prefer a slow build-up to a patchy performance any day.

I love this gif.

So is it dollek? Or daylek? One of my idiot friends is insisting its daylek even though i have shown him countless examoles of the saying dollek in the show

Why are you asking us when you have literal evidence from the show? Is your friend clinically retarded?

Sometimes i swear he is he is literally saying the show is wrong

Does he think it was different in Classic Who or something? (it wasn't)

I have shown him both he is just insisting like a retard saying that the show isnt using proper english

But it's a made-up word!

It's actually dah-lek

Isn't there even an episode where someone says Day-lek and the Doctor corrects them?

>ultimate killing machine
>make it as cute as possible

Why? Was it to lower peoples guard?

Wasn't that the Bill thing?

>Hi, I'm Arthur Darvill. You might remember me from such films as:
>"I FUCKING HATE DOCTOR WHO"
>"I FUCKING RESENT DOCTOR WHO"
>"I FUCKING LOATHE DOCTOR WHO"
>"I FUCKING DESPISE DOCTOR WHO"
>"DIE DOCTOR WHO"
>"OH FUCK I HATE DOCTOR WHO"
>"THE DOCTOR WHO HATER POSSE"
>"CONSTANTLY HATING WHO"
>"SERIOUSLY, I CAN'T STOP FUCKING HATING DOCTOR WHO"
>AND "I'M PLAYING TOTALLY NOT DOCTOR WHO GUYS!"

Best theme coming through youtube.com/watch?v=t1SZs4xudf8
>So full of life and joy
>3 minutes long
>4 middle eights

When has Arthur Darvill said he hated Doctor Who?

youtube.com/watch?v=TNDyBBAjRHg

You publish the thing yet?

>Jenna as Queen Victoria cosplaying as Queen Elizabeth I
>both Queens appeared in Doctor Who

has this is important information been added to tardis wikia yet?

The Queen Victoria entry notes that Jenna played Victoria. Seems irrelevant but... autism.

who are these people?

Not yet. Soon.

Doctor Who, I'm NORTH POLE

You're a nice guy.

Does Time and the Rani have any redeemable features or is it just a complete shit show?

TELL ME ABOUT KRAMPUS. WHY DOES HE WEAR THE BASKET.

McCoy.
Always McCoy.

From my memory of it 7 isn't at his best yet in that story. Wasn't it originally written for Colin Baker before they sacked him?

Or they just got Pip and Jane to crap something out in a week.

People say the directing is impressive for the time.

Last two seasons of McCoy are probably few of the best of classic Who.

Reminder

>impossible to get 5 vertically
Delete this trash

>obvious twitter credit in corner

fuck off mong

I think Arthur Darvill actually hates Doctor Who.

>she's not returning

twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/779790461737271296

Why live?

Why did the show suddenly go from average to GOAT when Series 4 aired?

But but but if shes not returning than who shall play the master?

Alex Macqueen.

Series 10 opening featuring this song when?

Why?

I doubt they'd get away with killing kids in a family show. Even adult shows shy away from it. Has a kid ever died on screen in Dr Who?

Best of a rather shitty bunch DESU. I hope Chinballs hires a new composer. I am so sick of Gold.

somebody give this edgelord a job at the BBC so they can fix doctor who! you sound like the same bright mind who thought an episode where daleks slaughter babies would make them interesting again

not on screen, but there were quite a few episodes where children died off-screen.
Pic related got eaten by Rupert Giles for example.

I thought Class was going to be more geared towards kids than Dr Who.

Ace does it in Remembrance.

SJA also had off-screen death. In fact, the entire episode was devoted to killing a 13-year-old girl before it's too late.

Class makes Torchwood look classy.

Definitive best theme

youtu.be/wGch8BsduiI

Literally every cyberman story does this.
Probably most brainwashed victims as well

BBC3's target audience is 16-34 yr olds.

Examples: SJA was on CBBC in the UK (target audience 6-12 yr olds), whereas Torchwood began on BBC3.

Tfw one of the few people who thought rose was hot as fuck

I thought it was going to be on CBBC.

Okay, well now you know.

What if the Doctor was Class' main antagonist ?

You.
Will rob.
The bank of Karabraxos.

What if Malcom Tucker was in Class?

>He killed himself. He didn't want me to know what the other Daleks were up to. He deleted his history.

BRAVO MOFFAT

When was this line?

> I need to be up in them guts perpetually, it's a sickness, a fever. I never wanted to be like this, but I'm driven to mount kids again, and again, and again.

BRAVO MOFFAT

>suckering the kid's head
And why would they do that?

also this

SAM, NO PISSY BISCUITS

Torchwood had an actual on-screen child death when Jack iced his grandson

Why the new trip, cats?

>implying cats could make face morphs as good as mine

I used too as well, user. Wanked to several fakes.

>tfw only just finsihed the Red Lady of DC1
Should I be avoiding /who/ in case of spoilers?
And speaking of the Red Lady, why did she wear the mask?

Who said this?

>why did she wear the mask?

We need more episode with diverse Daleks

What was the explanation for all the different types?

In a weird way I'm both glad that cats is gone and also miss cats

The daleks put aside their differences to work together.

What was the explanation for cats leaving?

He had a falling out over the colour of the chumbleys

so much we can learn from them

is that poirot?

Yes, he's in episode 4 of series 10.

Why is pearl ugly in literally every image of her?

We've been truly spoilt.

>Left
>1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 11

>Right
>5, 6, 7, 8, 8.5, 10

Why didn't they put 5 on the left and 9 on the right?

Who's face did you mix with Bill?

Bill's.

To centre the NuWho doctors around Capaldi.

New thread

>>
>>
>>