Are there other found footage horror films that feel as authentic?

Are there other found footage horror films that feel as authentic?

no

the slender man video shit had it going on for a bit but it jumped the shark after awhile

archivo 253 is one of the best since blair witch and it's completely underrated, it's foreign as well and the acting is excellent.
Rec is also good and feels fairly authentic given the circumstances.

The first Rec

>given the circumstances

It's a good mark of quality when you have to make excuses for it.

Zero Day

Yes, I count it as a horror film.

incident in lake county

[Rec] and Zero Day are both excellent. Didn't know about Archivo 253, will watch it.

I'll add Noroi: The Curse and Occult (by Koji Shiraishi), as they are some of the best found footage-y horrors Japan has ever produced - and my personal favourite after the Blair Witch Project, The Borderlands, about whom the less said, the better the experience.

I'm a big fan of a British movie called The Borderlands, about a small team of Vatican agents and their contracted tech guy sent to a small British town to investigate the claim of a miracle, which is a real thing that happens.

The Bay is another good one that bundles up archival footage and found footage to give us information on an ecological disaster.

Noroi: The Curse does archival footage and found footage amazingly well, too, nails the gaudy look of Japanese TV and the more personal investigation stuff. The director's other well known found footage film, Occult, is great, too.

But I think Blair Witch Project nailed authenticity better than any found footage ever will. It feels very very real, all because they knew exactly what to do with the budget they had, they never tired doing more than they knew was possible and used everything at hand so well that the title alone still spooks me out due to memories surrounding the hype of the movie.

I listed the same exact movies above your post and I watched The Bay today.

D-do you want to be my friend user?

I just realized I have Noroi bookmarked on YT. I'll check it out

Thanks for the suggestions everybody

That one movie with discount Scott Baio about the Paris catacombs was alright

kek didn't even see your post til I posted mine. I had a nice discussion with an user not too long ago about some good found footage movies (might have been you, user). I'm trying to recall the ones we talked about.

Another one that's more faux documentary but feels very 'real' is the infinitely polarizing Lake Mungo. People either love it or hate, I loved it.

His other film, Occult, is on YT as well, definitely worth checking out.

me and my wife watched this last night because she hadn't seen it

it holds up

as above so below

he looked like discount downey jr kinda

Might have been me, lately I've been posting about found footage movies a lot as I'm kind of trying to go through the entire genre. Was it a conversation about how the sex subplot in Lake Mungo was really out of place?

Anyway, I'll rec to anybody in this thread Banshee Chapter - /x/ core to the max, not really scary but fairly interesting for how many things they managed to cram into it.

Also, Tarnation definately deserves a watch even though it's not horror. One of the best movies I've seen of late.

Pretty much all of Koji's films are good. Noroi is probably the best imo.

>Was it a conversation about how the sex subplot in Lake Mungo was really out of place?

It absolutely was, fuck me. Now that's spooky!

I actually hated Banshee Chapter, precisely because we it was such a clusterfuck, and also because the guy incorrectly summarized the Lovecraft story. It's /x/ the movie, but that's not really a good thing.

Hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but The Conspiracy is really good.

>archivo 253
I really wished that this was good but I really didn't find it too redeeming of itself at all.

The Bay sucked.

Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times, however, was less positive, awarding the film a more average 2.5 out of a possible 4, stating "Although there are some scary moments here, and a lot of gruesome ones, this isn't a horror film so much as a faux eco-documentary"

It was definitely heavy handed with the eco-message, but there were some genuinely tense and weird moments. I liked it, it's a good watch, but there's better and creepier found footage movies.

Spooky but cool. Nice to see someone on here with a more than passing interest in the genre.

You know, you can think about Banshee Chapter in two ways, or two sides of /x/: the actually worthy, spooky side that produces interesting stuff or the retarded, I've-met-HST-innawoods-and-we-shoot-the-shit side. Not to say that I'd like there to be more like it, but I can appreciate the occasional shark jumping extravaganza once in a while.

I'll check out The Conspiracy tonight, I trust the advice of someone who likes Shiraishi.

does Amber Alert count?

I can appreciate some good old fashioned nonsense, but I liked Grave Encounters way more because it just felt more, I dunno, consistent. It wasn't particularly scary, but it had some great ideas and imagery, especially the ending, and was a pretty fun watch. >tfw cute ghost hunter girl

Oh, I just remembered The Taking of Deborah Logan, I haven't seen it in a while, but remember that ended up being pretty creepy.

Not seeing a lot of good said about it, what's it about? I don't want to read spoilers anywhere.

It's about kids who fallow an amber alert car. The last few minutes made the boring first hour more tolerable.

No.

Not one work of fiction released in my lifetime has come anywhere close to this in terms of feeling so real, even though I knew it was fake before watching it.
If you need proof of its effectiveness, just this past week I crushed my roommate's girlfriend by telling her it isn't real. She's almost 20 and watches tons of horror movies but never figured out Blair Witch was a fake.

-_-

It feels like I can never really adequately articulate why, but the reason The Blair Witch Project seems more authentic than any other supernatural found footage horror film to me is, I think, because there are no special effects.
Nothing supernatural ever actually appears in the footage, no monsters or witches, nothing that can't be explained like objects or characters being manipulated or attacked by an unseen force, and so on. There's just nothing you can instantly dismiss as GCI or costumes or pulleys and ropes, which makes it feel more real, even though things like the characters finding strange objects or hearing weird noises are easily explained by "the producers put it there/made them". For another supernatural FF film to feel as real to me, it'd need to be the same way.

My wife and I, you ignorant swine.