Am I a pleb for liking his films purely for the pretty colors and the synth soundtracks?

Am I a pleb for liking his films purely for the pretty colors and the synth soundtracks?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Eh45O6mcb-o
youtube.com/watch?v=pBx-tr1FDvY&channel=UCRKPVXQBwPhamwigFIJQvPQ
youtube.com/watch?v=2IH8tNQAzSs&channel=UCEOhcOACopL42xyOBIv1ekg
youtube.com/watch?v=j9WiJUM-9VA
youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI
youtube.com/watch?v=HMjQygwPI1c
youtube.com/watch?v=VxLacN2Dp6A
youtube.com/watch?v=tW9SWTazdIU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No, you're a pleb for using Cred Forums

danish zack snyder

They have literally nothing in common.

>obsessed with visuals over depth and meaning

Yes but it would be worse if it was Gaspar Noe

No, you're a patrician.

When will you get it through your thick skull that form is content? Refn's films are full of meaning, none of which is communicated by speeches, all of which is communicated in purely cinematic forms.

No, movies are meant to be heard and listened to. They are at best, a weak narrative medium. If you want story go read books.

No, because that's what I like about him, too.

>things retarded cinephiles say

He is quickly becoming my favorite autist. He just seems so genuine in what he likes and admits when he fucks up.

On the basis of Enter the Void, Noe is great.

Yes.
Considering that Refin is colorblind he uses high contrast colors as a protection mechanism for getting visual quality.
Its the same as admiring special Olympic athletes,they have prosthetic legs but they can still outrun you.

I have a strobe light to sell you.

What's he talking about here?

> things illiterates say

I unironically agree with this.

I watched Only God Forgives with no subtitles, and I really liked it. I can't really put it into words, and this will inevitably come across as pretentious, but his visuals and use of music really speak to me on some level.

Same here, no subtitles and yet everything that happened in the Thai sections was completely clear. I don't think you're being pretentious, they're speaking the language of cinema. Some people who want overcast-looking images of people talking about their feelings will regard that as pretentious, but I think they're the pretentious ones.

Can't remember exactly but one of the scenes he was filming didn't turn out as he wanted no matter how many times he tried to redo it and he's frustrated.

>p-pretty colors are kino too g-guys

I also like how the characters in that film are very unrealistic in their mannerisms. The fact that the characters seem to operate on the film's own internal sense of logic and reason really gives the film an otherworldly feel.

I can firmly say that I have never seen another movie like OGF.

>implying colors aren't kino

What pretty colors? Red and purple?
This guy is a fucking hack

You expect the man to invent new colors?

>"I present to you, my new color. I call it: Shockra"

visuals are only spices, you can't put spices on a turd and make it taste good.

I don't see any red or purple in this frame, famm.

Why the fuck do you even watch films if you're able to spell and read and have so little respect for graphic art? Just read books.

Only good film Refn has been involved in he didn't write, he should stick to directing.

Only God Forgives

>"visuals are only spices", said the pleb about a visual medium

>"outrun"
>in a Refn thread
>Refn directed Drive
>Nightcall by Kavinsky plays during Drive's opening credits
>Kavinsky's first album was called OutRun
it's like poetry

I don't know guys, I found TND really fun.

Books are boring. It's not like I don't have any respect for visual presentation, I'm just saying you have to be a pleb to be thoroughly entertained by visuals alone for 2 hours, which is all the Neon Demon and OGF has to offer.

Right, so you think movies are for storytelling because you're too lazy to read books. This is what I expected, having heard it so many times. No, there's nothing plebian about appreciating graphic art, and neither of those films are purely visual. They have sound design, performance, and even writing, though the writing doesn't carry the burden of the meaning, each word is clearly carefully weighed - he isn't Noe, letting the actors say whatever performs the narrative function he's outlined.

I don't even know what's "kino" anymore

Could you be any more of a pleb?

Next you're gonna tell me you prefer Coldplay to Radiohead, because the latter is just a bunch of depressing bleeps and bloops.

Absoutely.

>I'm just saying you have to be a pleb to be thoroughly entertained by visuals alone for 2 hours

So people who visit The Louvre for two hours, to enjoy some of the finest art that Europe has created, are plebs?

Kino was part of someone taking the piss, now it's an ironic appropriation of that pisstaking to praise genuinely admired work and chide others for not appreciating it. What kino meant in the real world before the 'flicks, movies, cinema, kino' post is irrelevant to both of these usages.

that's exactly why i like him. plus him and goose are best mates

Has any other actor/director pairing ever had a bromance to rival theirs?

>Comparing the greatest art ever produced with a Refn movie

Refn fangays everybody

Probably not.

I didn't do that, I just called out your pleb bullshit about how visuals don't stand on their own.

That's only a bad thing if you are a pleb

>I've only really known one woman. And I was out buying her a pair of shoes and she kept on trying the same two pairs on and I was like, "What is wrong with her? Can she not see that's the same pair of shoes?" And my wife says, "Oh my God, you're color blind!" 'Cause apparently they were two different colors.

Fiery, abusive and passionate though, not lovey-dovey like Goose and Refn

Truly /our guy/

Considering the amount of white men in their twenties who suffer from depression and a feeling of isolation, Drive transcends the realm of art and almost becomes more of a large-scale social service through the medium of film.

Refn is trash man so yes

>revealing yourself as a pleb who can't understand movies

real human being

>a color blind man made premium visual kino with Drive, Only God Forgives, and Neon Demon

Fucking kek

Refners on suicide watch

why? the pic just shows how much of our guy he is

nah he sounds like a great director

Wow he's just like me

>enjoying the movies of refntino
Let me guess
>american
>first movie was drive(only because of memes) and then bronson (once your capeshit flick got one of the actors)
>will now try to claim he started/second film was valhalla/pusher

Not him, but why does it matter which film he watched first?

>being a pleb who thinks he's patrician
Let me guess
>European

If you started with Drive/OGF/ND then you are a complete and utter plebeian. This is a fact that can not be refuted.

They are memes, they are videogames, they are "wannabe" aesthetics, they are anti-art.

>OGF
>not the single greatest piece of erectile dysfunction-kino ever made

>File: A conversation with Motoko.jpg (95 KB, 1338x392)
does that retard even post here anymore
he use to be in every other thread and now he is nowhere

But that makes no sense.

Why would watching one film before the other one make someone a pleb?

Apparently you can because he likes it

That's like liking musc that's well produced and engineered

Not so.

Because it turns your mind to a infantilized video game enabling cultural terrorist.

because the guys a fucking idiot obviously

music does not fit

Go to bed Tarkovsky, nobody likes your irrational emotional wankfests

watch more films then

Kek, based af

>>keeps writing scenes about his characters going to hookers then getting limp

>Makes statement
>doesn't post proofs proofing such a statement

Only God Forgives is film that explores Nemesis, and Fate, if you are too plebeian to see that, its your own fault. Goose plays the part of a man who cannot escape destiny superbly, as he is stuck between fallowing the orders of his mother for vengeance, and being punished by Chang. Its a modern Greek tragedy.

Oh, I beg to differ.

youtube.com/watch?v=Eh45O6mcb-o

obviously Refn fans like radiohead

kino af

>doesn't like Radiohead

Your digging the whole even deeper

His predetermined fate is to fight someone he will never and can never beat.

It's like a modern-day fable, or as we call it on Cred Forums, pure kino.

Radiohead is shit too though

>he doesn't like Radiohead

fag

>when the kino sets in

There's an entire board for your shitty opinions on music. Go there., kids.

The only shit thing here is your SAT score.

nice one greatest ally

pleb

>that pose

everything about that is perfect

nice videogame ost

Fucking dying here mate, Refnhaters getting BTFO in this entire thread. Feel with me /Refbros/.

hey I like drive, I just cant take it seriously. Still e fun movie

>All of those pleb artists

Also
>Intelligence = Good Taste
And
>SAT Score = Intelligence

Are you implying Norah Jones is better than Nas or that Muse is better than Pearl Jam too?

>that webm

Other than the format obviously

>too much of a pleb to appreciate thundering synth arpeggios

Were you by chance born in the wrong generation?

He has good taste in music. For example your silent face of New Order or the electrician or the song of riz ortolani, the soundtrack of the trilogy of Pusher.

I love his work.

I actually prefer Muse to Pearl Jam.

I like Yellow Ledbetter, but for the most part, Pearl Jam bores the fuck out of me.

Not him, but Muse is better than Pearl Jam. They're neither of them stellar, but I would listen to Muse long before I would listen to the chad mopers who name means semen. Norah Jones is a beautiful girl with a nice voice who plays the piano. Nas is a hip-hopster. I prefer Norah.

Well I actually listen to Beethoven and can easily tell Refn is a hack behind his facade of pretty colors. Guess that settles it.

All Refn haters confirmed for australian shitposters.

what?

Muse started good, but turned to cringy shit
Admittedly, Pearl Jam wasn't the best example

>Dissing an entire genre like that
yup, plebeian for sure

Norah is fine, but she has nothing that comes close to Illmatic

>Implying I'm a Refn fan
I've only seen Drive

>He rates Beethoves
Yuck, babby's first Classical?

btw, I'm willing to bet if you do the same with films, the top would be very capeshit-heavy

>the music I like is better than the music you like

Well I actually listen to Stravinsky and can easily tell Refn is a kinographer behind his facade of synth pop music. Guess that settles it.

>Muse started good, but turned to cringy shit

Their politics are shit. I always find it laughable whenever artists make songs about rebelling against the man, while the mainstream radio station play their songs.

However, their sound is pretty good. Kinda like a lightweight Radiohead, but with more focus on a cosmic rock sound.

Yes, and?

Yes user, you measure music objectively.

Here, this might help you learn. Compare these two pieces please.

youtube.com/watch?v=pBx-tr1FDvY&channel=UCRKPVXQBwPhamwigFIJQvPQ

youtube.com/watch?v=2IH8tNQAzSs&channel=UCEOhcOACopL42xyOBIv1ekg

Give me your (You) when you feel that you can profess which one of these musical pieces is better than the other.

Beethoven has undeniably produced the largest amount of top quality classical music of any artist and it's not even close. Sure Mozart, Bach, Debussy and others have also produces some good stuff, but Beethoven has produced more music worth listening to than the rest of them put together. All of Beethovens 9 symphonies are pure music kino from start to finish, if you disagree you are a filthy Refn fangay who probably listens to Coldplay.

>Talks about Beethoven being pinnacle of Classical music
>goes on to compare his work with other Classical, Baroque and Impressionist composers

Plebeian please, stop posting.

Meme less next time and I'd consider answering
But please explain why Beethoven is good

Their writing turned to shit too imo, they simply don't produce the same quality of material like they used to, still undeniably a very talented bunch

Also

No matter how shit they may become, I will always love them for this:

youtube.com/watch?v=j9WiJUM-9VA

This, Refn's great at sensual, vivid imagery, but he can't make a good complete film on his own.

WOW do you listen to classical music too?? People always look at me strangely when I say I listen to Bach but who cares I am confident in my tastes lol

>THIS IS REDDIT
>THIS IS MEMES

try this, it's really good. Personal favorite
youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

He uses sound, performance, music, dialogue, what the fuck are you talking about you jabbering cunt.

I wonder how Pink Floyd would fare if you separated the stoner fans from the sober fans.

What are (You) doing? Who is memeing whom?

I don't know mate, I know some stoners that are pretty smart.

its good, but try this one instead
youtube.com/watch?v=HMjQygwPI1c

They may be smart, but their habits could negatively affect their SAT scores negatively.

WOAH thanks dude!

Samefag

shut up! You like this kind of music too?? Have you seen Kubrick's masterpiece 2001? Man, what a soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=VxLacN2Dp6A

no man fuck you man

Lollipop is a good song though, has a very nice vibe even if not very well writter

I like how >the list go oners and le wrong generationers always use Lil Wayne as an example to music at its worst even though there's way worse

kekd

I cant stand this guys face
he has no chin, its like his neck just merges directly into his mouth

youtube.com/watch?v=tW9SWTazdIU

Upvote if you like this one. Refners won't understand the beauty of it because there isn't any pretty colors in the video.

Well, according to , Lil Wayne fans are bottom of the barrel when it comes to SAT scores.

Yeah, that's because Lil Wayne is generally shit

But even if he weren't, that's because it's black music

Just like Jazz, Nas and Kanye being that low

>Seeing is understanding. But it's still subliminal because cinema is really not about what we see, it's about what we don't see. Creativity is about a two-way experience where you experience something that plants a seed that it then deliver back in to whatever it is you're experiencing. And it becomes this circular movement that basically travels with you for the rest of your life. It defines you, forms you, inspires you, scares you. And in that world good and bad has no meaning, because in the world of this revolution everything is acceptable, everything is common, and there is something for everyone. That kind of world is where I come from because it's the future. And I've always felt I came from the future.

Seriously though, what does this mean?

>Am I a pleb for enjoying the audio and the visuals of an audiovisual medium?

He's futureman