Chappie

Why did Neill Blomkamp make a whole movie to advertise a shitty afrikaans rap group made up of an old man and a pale ugly bitch

I probably would have liked this movie if those chumps had absolutely nothing to do with it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XXlZfc1TrD0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because they make the best music since the 90s and help the film appeal to people with good taste.

Seriously name a better tune than this from 2016

youtube.com/watch?v=XXlZfc1TrD0

You can't!

Why did Die Antwoord agree to appear in some one-hit-wonder's shitty Short Circuit ripoff?

I'm still not sure what goes through Blomkamp's head. District 9 was a good movie, but Elysium had to have had the messiest story I've seen in a flick trying to "say something".

this

Blomkamps only truly good movie is District 9

Am I the only one who found all that gangster shit to be really cringey

My parents liked Chappie, that was my first red flag.

i liked chappie

>lets code human consciousness onto a ps4 and put you in a robot body

Wewlad

Elysium wasn't trying to say something (immigration is great) though. He was drunk in Tijuana and saw a heavily guarded US border, with helicopters and stuff vs a bunch of shanty town shit. That was his inspiration. District 9 was the same way. He drew from his life in SA. I think Chappie tried to do the same thing, it just failed. He always does real life situations with a sci-fi twist. He's not necessarily trying to make an point.

Because he's an arrogant cuck who is surrounded by Hollywood yes men.
I was rooting for Huge Actman's character the whole time.

because hes a scum sucking fagot lord whom should have made the halo movie instead of district 9

This would have been better if they didn't use their own songs throughout the entire movie.

I'd be interested to rewatch this again with an entirely different soundtrack.

I hated chappie with a passion and the chappie fans are annoying and the type to ask "lol who tf is max normal?" But the movie was garbage

Die antwoord is pretty fucking awesome though

Lets not forget the creepy as fuck habit of calling them "mommy" and "daddy" im sure they both love that

Bait

Bait nothing banana brains is a great song and the new album is 10/10

They were the only redeeming thing about that shit movie.

Yolandi is strangely sexy.

moms_soul.dat

Would have been much better if neill hadnt insisted on making ninja nothing but a huge asshole with none of the charisma he has anywhere else even most of his instagram posts are funny

>ninja
>charisma

What.

Whenever I'm having a bad day I read the Sony email leaks where high level execs had to read the emails that fucking idiot was sending them and it always makes me feel a bit better

He honeslty has it like crazy its hard to tell from just the die anywoord videos cause he is in character

It didn't seem like that to me.

However, as someone who's unfortunately been stranded in South Africa for 6 weeks I can assure you that those two are right on the money as to what you'd expect there. Only, you can't fucking understand what anyone is saying even though they are speaking English.

Ninja, that you?

I think D9 was all that guy had. I mean it was already based off something else he'd already made. It's been steadily downhill with every movie that followed it.

And I didn't think D9 was good in the first place.

No do i type like ninja?

Well, at least they bothered enough to learn a new language.

Why did Neil Blomkamp reboot "Short Circuit" and make it not fun?

I find it amazing that in Elysium, I was actually rooting for the people they considered villains. Like, was I supposed to feel bad for the slummy third worlders overcrowding the place?

I was definitely rooting for Kruger and I'm pretty sure him being the only sympathetic character in the movie wasn't intentional.

I was disappointed the movie ended without Elysium being obliterated though.

Most everyone I saw was white though. Colony babies I guess.

That whole movie was a horrorshow. The entire planet Earth was one big Mexican ghetto slum. And they went into space and made it into another ghetto.

I hope those medical beds can cure starvation.

Elysium had a huge hamfisted messaged about healthcare right during the time the Affordable Care Act was a big hot topic in America.

The thing was, in the movie, it was nonsensical.

All the rich people in the world fled a shithole Earth, and also had magical healing pods that could literally raise them from the dead, and repair faces getting blown off.

Not a single one of these exist outside of Elysium, not even for people willing to pay (which we are shown, as folks spend their life savings trying to get illegally transported to the station just to use them).

The end of the film even displays that these things aren't rooted to Elysium in anyway. They can be transported, and put on small individual spacecrafts, which themselves hold dozens of the pods at a time.

This basically leaves the impression that the only reason normal people can't have access to them, is because Elysium is full of mustache twirling villains, and not smart ones at that, since a huge chunk of their illegal immigration problem is rooted in folks just wanting the pods.

And don't try and say it's because Elysium was hoping to curb overpopulation on Earth, because, while not an implausible theory, nothing about it is brought up in the film itself.

You are overthinking it. Step back and remember that the flaws you see in systems such as that are put there by the writers either by design or because they are morons.

>nothing about it is brought up in the film itself.

But, it is.

please don't let this guy direct and write for alien 5

The film mentions that the Earth is overpopulated. It does not mention that Elysians are trying to depopulate the Earth.

I am not the type of person to try and dig through concepts and themes in a movie too hard, but this is service level shit. The entire plot of the movie is "rich people have better access to healthcare, and we fight them to get it".

surface*

Short Circuit is neither good or a classic.
Lets stop pretending it is.

He made a shitty movie because he's surrounded himself with yes men. District 9 was good because it had Peter Jackson telling him when to not do stupid shit. He got too big too fast and now the studio gives him way too much control. He needs a good executive producer to guide him in the right direction, but that's never gonna happen cause he won't want to give up the control.

This happens IRL, though. The elite are trying their best to price people out of health care. A brief visit to the hospital, even with okay insurance, can cost you thousands. God forbid you actually get sick or something that would require long term care. You're just fucked.

The rich who can afford the actually good insurance waltz in and get fucking 5 star hotel treatment. The only fucking reason that health care (with supplies being probably the biggest contributor), is because people want it that way. I'd much rather have affordable health care than social health care. I'm willing to pay, but I got charged $2000 for a one hour visit to my local allergist last year. That's after insurance took off $1000.

$2000 for a brief consultation, a breath test, and the needle test. What the fuck. I can only assume that the powers that be want people dying and in debt.

I can't figure out whether Blomkamp is a poor writer who can't get across his messages, or if he legitimately just has really horrible messages.

Every movie feels like the bad guys are the ones to agree with, and any seemingly 'good' message is shown to be a bad thing.

District 9 is about racism/apartheid but then shows that the Prawns not being ghetto'd would be a bad thing, also that blacks/Nigerians are fucking savages.

Elysium is some shit about the elite making healthcare unaffordable but the sociopathic merc is the only guy you can get behind, and healthcare for all is ultimately bad in that setting.

In Chappie a bunch of white trash teach a truly intelligent being to be a nigger, also now immortality exists? Was Hugh really wrong?

>A brief visit to the hospital, even with okay insurance, can cost you thousands

Here's the thing though, they don't even try and sell the healing pods to people on Earth. It's stated that they're only on Elysium.

If the movie had said they exist, but cost an astronomical amount of money, and those who use them, typically end up with a lifetime amount of debt, then that would make sense.

But it would also likely result in them not having to go to Elysium, since, why go there if Earth has them?

Could have covered that too, if they said the pods were specifically charged by some super science power core that only the space station had, but nope. The end of the movie had countless small space ships flying down from Earth, with each of them carrying dozens of health pods.

He needs to be banned from directing his own scripts until he makes multiple actual good movies other people have written first

Fucking hate this movie. One of the worst I've ever seen. Jupiter Ascending came out that same year and even that was better.

>I can't figure out whether Blomkamp is a poor writer who can't get across his messages, or if he legitimately just has really horrible messages.
His message is usually that there is no "good" solution to things. He's spent enough time among the human trash to know that even though they are still human beings and deserve to be treated better than they are, they are still savages, and will ruin whatever they can get their hands on.

That may not have been his intent, but that is pretty much the message of all of his movies.

It would have been nice if he at least gave a single line having someone say something to the extent of "every time we have attempted to put those machines on Earth, they are shortly destroyed in one way or another"

Remember people on Earth weren't left alone by Elysium, but there was actual exploitation in factories with inhuman conditions

I think that's what bugs me about the movie. You can think up the explanations for a lot of the stupid plot stuff, but the movie doesn't even try.

It's not like people weren't even willing to put themselves into debt, like there is with real healthcare. It's shown right in the movie that people are willing to pay out their ass to go to Elysium just for the /chance/ to use one of the healing machines, and what's worse, is that this is resulting in a chunk of the illegal immigration that is clearly shown in the film.

Plop one pod down in each country, and charge them. It's a win-win scenario, since even if the pods keep getting broken, or stolen, that still results in less people trying to get into Elysium.