Let's all be honest here. Is this a good film?

No.

The Australian is pretty though, I never recognised her from Mad Max.

No really. At least OGF was pretty to look at, ND was just tryhard and obnoxiously unoriginal

very lackluster in almost everything
5/10

downloading it now. will report in a few days

Cast Keanu Reeves as a literal cameo crazed pedo motel manager

Not give the audience a smoking hot lesbo sex scene

The ridicilous built up 'I'M A BAD GIRL' scene followed by being pushed into a fucking empty pool literally made me howl with laughter in an empty cinema at how absurd it all was.

At least OGF had redeeming parts tied into the meta commentary of Thailand. Neon Demon was a pile of shit.

Yeah, it's ok, 7/10.

>Caring about story in a Refn film

Anyone else feel like they disrespected based Keanu with this role?

I watched it twice yesterday. Really nice movie

Yes, it's a good film. Nice visuals, appropriate acting and dialogue, simple structure. A good simple film, with a unique theme. I really like this film, wasn't impressed while watching it in the cinema the first time though. Took me some weeks to really think about it, now one of my favourite horror films this year.
Most people here who complain about it being too obvious or "in your face" seem to interpret it as a standard film like Black Swan or commentary on the fashion industry, which is a rather shallow analysis. In reality the film is more as a case study of what it means to be a beautiful woman, the isolation and the dangers that come with it. Jesse is the perfect archetype for this because she has no agency, no character, nothing of value to say, nothing she wants and nothing she feels, she just is beautiful. Her beauty is all that guides her relationships, people start to assume things about her (Dean assuming that she has qualities outside of her beauty, the models assuming that she fucks important men, Ruby assuming that she has feelings for her), she has no control over these assumptions or her relationships, people want to be with her simply because they feel drawn to her beauty (Dean and Ruby obviously, falling in love with her even, or the clerk in a purely sexual way) and become frustrated and angry at her when they cannot (Dean or the clerk venting off their frustration by raping/killing the girl in room 214, Ruby partaking in the murder of Jesse). Just look at her dialogue, all she ever really says are those vapid nothings about the moon watching her as a child whilst parading in front of Dean. I agree that the transitional scenes like her kissing her reflection symbolizing her embracing the role she's given by the others are quite on-the-nose (the bondage demon on the other hand I thought was pretty clever) but that doesn't make it a bad film, just a flawed film.

I thought he was going to be the surgeon they were talking about.

Then to see him reduced to a 10 min cameo rambling sex addict hotel manager was quite a shock.

No

>The ridicilous built up 'I'M A BAD GIRL' scene followed by being pushed into a fucking empty pool literally made me howl with laughter in an empty cinema at how absurd it all was.
>missing the point that badly

It was good one of the better film so far this year, but I didn't like it as much as most of Refn's stuff. You can call me a B8r or whatever, but I don't think Elle was the kind of beauty described in all those scenes or even that good looking in general. Symbolism felt a bit more hamfisted than earlier Refn.

no

amazing soundtrack, the rest was awful, the ending is so predictable, you're waiting for it the whole movie

Let's be honest, it doesn't really matter how good she looks as long as she can play the character.

For what it's worth, I think Elle was pretty decent despite her flawed appearance.

got to be seen

What point

That she was an edgy teenager than thought she was hardcore until she ran into some real hardcore people.

We waited a whole movie for that.

Refn will never even come close to something like the Pusher trilogy ever again and I guess its just time to accept that.

>boyfriend side plot goes nowhere, no payoff
>main girl just turns into a snotty smug bitch for no reason
>keanu reeves is a pedo rapist for some reason

And what was with that bobcat? This movie made no sense. Why did the model in that bathroom wanted to suck her blood?

Only God Forgives is the best film of the decade so far actually.

I really hope you're baiting

>Why did the model in that bathroom wanted to suck her blood?
Are you dumb?

It ties in to the end of the movie when they ate her, they wanted her perfect genes or something.

You say that like anyone actually shares your contrarian opinion

It was objectively shit. Refn was completely up his own ass on that one

I could somewhat agree but then I imagine other young actresses in the part and I see it turning out better. She just also isn't really my type, so I'll admit that the film might generally work better for some people than it did for me.

At least it wasn't a David O. Russel film, we would have to hear all that dialogue being said about Jennifer Lawrence and having her ass kissed even more than it was in Joy just might make me vomit repeatedly in theaters.

The point is that she is a "dangerous girl" in that her beauty drives people insane. She makes people obsess over her, treat others like shit, molest, rape, and finally kill and cannibalize her, not by acting in a certain way or desiring certain things, but by simply existing the way she is. At hat point in the story you have witnessed almost a full movie of her being a "dangerous girl" before she rubs it in your face with that line, leading up to the murder and cannibalization and yet, you still didn't get it?

>It was objectively shit.
No it wasn't

Stop letting garbage tier critics brainwash your taste.

the visuals came off boring after a wile. Too many post imposed lens-flares and flashy colors for the sake of it. OGF is a great visual-experience, this one is boring

>dangerous girl

What does that even mean? Why would people go nuts and psychotic around her? Was she really that pretty? She was a qt grill alright, but c'mon now.

Kill yourself

How could she see in the future? Why didn't she see the future where she got cannibalized?

This, I just couldnt buy it

How are you this retarded? She turns narcissistic because people praise her all the time.

no but i don't really like refn

the themes couldn't be more in your face if he tried

what

But she didn't act narcissistic all the time. Se sometimes was smug, and sometimes not.

Why is that a bad thing? Dostoyevsky's themes are directly in your face too.

>the themes couldn't be more in your face if he tried
Which is evident by the number of people on this board who totally get it, I guess...

I knew this movie was supposed to be Refn doing Suspiria, but I wasn't expecting it to actually have witches

>she sleeps in her motel room
>sees a dream/vision where rapist keanu comes to her room with a knife and rapes her
>she wakes up, locks the door
>rapist keanu tries to enter her room like in her dream, but now the door is locked so he can't get in
>rapist keanu moves on to the runaway girl's room and rapes her instead

That was in the movie. She also had a vision earlier in the movie about one of the modeling shows.

The runway scene is where the narcissism overtakes her. It could not be more obvious.

I'm a Refn fan and didn't liked it. If you want to see a good visual-movie with a similar approach try Lost river. Story is shit, but the cinematography is better than everything ever filmed by Refn. Benoit Debie is terrific

that whole scene was underexposed and boring

who gives a shit about "story"

I don't know what that means and I think you should kill yourself.

Really dumb like they painted Elle Fanning as a 10/10 beauty. It's like Tarantino and Uma Thurman all over again.

1. You don't know if it was a dream, her waking up in a different spot and grabbing her throat like it hurts imply that he really did throatrape her.
2. We never see the person on the other side of the door. Given that Keanu just had his share of rape it could very well be Dean trying to get to Jesse and subsequently raping girl 214.

It's intentionally ambiguous whether it was a dream or not. Also, doesn't everyone have those "prophetic" dreams?

>story dun matter hurfgdrhrdhdr
Why do you even watch movies then? Just go to wallpapers.com and enjoy the pretty pictures

this is why I'm comparing very visual movies. I don't care about story too, but I know it's not a widely common opinion

It means they fucked up

That's so crazy its going to home video in only 3 months

>visual movies
Name a movie that isn't visual

Why the fuck do you watch films? I watch them to be emotionally affected by the audiovisual experience.

glib facsimile

Why do you think 2001 is recognized as one of the greatest films ever made?

Refn has officially jumped the shark

I'm probably using the wrong terms, English is not my first language. I'm talking about films that gave much more importance to their cinematography than maybe their writhing

Threads like this make me wonder why I even come here. I get really excited when there'`s a thread about a film that I like and then, slowly, I get more and more depressed as no one really wants to talk about the film, it's just shitposting and opinions, no arguments, no analysis, no humour, nothing, just shitposting. Maybe I should join reddit.

Yes, in fact it's a great film.

what an awful film

bye

I really don't understand people like you who think Cred Forums should be the only website you visit. Go read imdb for in depth analysis

pretty boring

Present an argument or shut the fuck up. You are whining like a woman, not achieving anything.

2deep4u

not enough models for ya?

>Present an argument or shut the fuck up
I did, beforehand.

>You are whining like a woman
>not achieving anything
I fit right in.

People used to compare Kubrick's later films unfavorably with The Killing. It's hard to believe now, and one day, wishing he could make stuff like the Pusher movies rather than working on his current level will seem equally absurd.

>implying I liked that other pile of shit

Such a cool title and cover art wasted on such a shit film

> on-the-nose

I don't understand why you think obviousness is a problem in a film so few people understood. Surely he was right to anticipate the need for some explicit pointers? They're beautiful images, too.

>I did, beforehand.

where

what makes it shit?

you one of those fags butthurt about the ending?

lol @ actually comparing Refn to Kubrick

wow youre a pretentious faggot

The Pusher films are adequate, but not even nearly his best. He only did them for the money. There is no passion.

>12:56:06
>12:57:07

So salty you hit it twice.

giving bigger role to him than that cameo in this warm pile of shit would be more disrepect

I read somewhere that the inspiration for this movie came to the author while he was thinking about horror/sci-fi movie's covers he saw at the video store while i was a child and couldnt watch them

while HE was ._.

>I don't understand why you think obviousness is a problem in a film so few people understood
Well, people don't seem to have such a big problem understanding that particular scene, as it is rather obvious. Not saying it's bad, it's a beautiful scene that serves its narrative purpose well. People seem to have more trouble finding an overarching message, which obviously isn't as on the nose.

Elle is a good actress... she played it she is pretty. I almost believed it.

'I'm a dangerous girl.'

Do you remember the moment in OGF where Crystal describes Julian as 'a very dangerous boy'?

>taken seriously as an actor

He's been in the industry for decades and he's still terrible

He's not terrible, he just picks a lot of low-hanging fruit.

Knock Knock is his magnum opus, and yet, Nicolas Cage would have done it better.

Kek, what a faggot

Well seeing as she's butt ugly I'd politely disagree with you pinhead

this
and not this also Bronson, Valhalla Rising. Things started to get ugly for Refn when he made Drive

>she's butt ugly
ololololol

you're right, many butts are more aesthetically pleasing than that redneck bitch

I see you're a humourous patrician just like myself. Very well, but this nonsense has gone on long enough.