Pride

alpha male

correct

wrong

He was Irish.

he a good boy

this movie is so fucking funny

Satisfaction

yeah when I watched it I was prepared for a boring but beautiful looking movie. I was surprised how funny it was.

yep this guy became alpha s fuck in this movie.

her starts off being kind of beta, but then mans up when he challenges that british fagot to a duel. his journey to dublin and his life in europe take all the beta out of him. by the time he marries the countess he is alpha chad status.

Barry was at his best when trying to achieve his aspirations but his motivation came from a lack of contentment with what he had not any principles or virtues. When he rose to the aristocracy and had everything he couldn't take his mother's advice and change his ways to secure the enormous piece of fortune he received, becoming self-indulgent.

Would you rather be known as a cuckold or a fool?

He was already a cuck

Vain. Everything he did had to be about him.
That said, he mellowed and became much more likeable towards the end, which sadly was his downfall. He should've shot that fucking brat. God damn, Barry Lyndon has the most infuriating ending I've ever seen.

agreed

he abused him since he was a kid and he was already a sissy, barrys mistake was his hubris of an "honorable man" which led him to being shot by the little shit

I liked the ending it felt like a good summation of a crazy life

Bullshit. Alpha males are generally in control. Barry was never in control.

Yeah, nothing about the ending didn't make sense. I didn't feel like there was any grave injustice done. Still, I really felt for the guy, he had a real rags to riches story (though a deceitful one) and it all blew up in his face because after a lifetime of being a cutthroat for his own needs, his one slip crashed it all down.

>Irish

This x 1000

Fool. It's useful to be underestimated, even outside the bedroom.

Is this the most underrated film of all time?

It's probably one of the few films you can actually have a shit-free discussion about on here.

Hell I even took my namefag off that's how good it is

Every single frame in this film is a work of art

If there's one film where "every frame a painting" applies it's clearly this one

I thought he was a narcissistic, opportunistic sociopath.

Also, I find this movie comfy af.
>go back home for Christmas
>eat leftovers and Christmas candy in the middle of the night watching Barry Lyndon in my childhood room under a warm blanket

oh fuck me

Lost a leg

>We never got a proper resolution on his arc with his cousin

JUST

his wife was top tier qt

indeed

can someone post the centre for ants .webm?

saving pictures for ants apparantly

shit lighting in this scene

>113x80

fight me you fucking faggot
barry lyndon should be a mandatory course for anyone who wants to know anything about lighting up a film

it's shit though. you blind?

>sun coming from the outside of the barn, gently lighting up and warming the room
>the little crosses on the wall make a nice frame around Lord Bullington or whatever his name was
No idea what you're on about. It's perfect. Would you have preferred more blue & orange or something like that?

the fact that it is literally unrealistic lighting. they've set up stage lights behind the windows. sunlight doesn't flood from two angles 90 degrees apart

You're retarded. Go open up a door to the outside along literally any wall of your choosing, regardless of how it faces the sun. Light pours in.

But user, when the sun comes in from one direction, there's still light at the other ends. Notice that it's in a different colour to the one flooding from the door to the barn.
This is actually much more realistic than what you would usually see in a scene like this.
And that fucking shitty low-res thumbnail you got is no example, it exaggerates the lighting completely.

my bedroom has windows on two walls and sunlight's flooding in from both of them right now so...

Daddy issues, which caused him to be an insufferable manchild right up until his stepson shoots him.

I thought video games had overcome this problem.

>unrealistic lighting
user, I...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Lyndon#Cinematography

It literally says that scene is an example of shit lighting though.

Also,
>developed by Zeiss for use by NASA in the Apollo moon landings, which Kubrick had discovered

Kubrick discovered the moonlanding, Wikipedia comfirms it

>a 'what was his fucking problem' shitpost actually leads to some decent film discussion

Huh..

What did he mean by this?

>It literally says that scene is an example of shit lighting though.
No it doesn't

>A sign of this method occurs in the scene where Barry duels Lord Bullingdon. Though it appears to be lit entirely with natural light, one can see that the light coming in through the cross-shaped windows in the tithe barn appears blue in color, while the main lighting of the scene coming in from the side is not. This is because the light through the cross-shaped windows is daylight from the sun, which when recorded on the film stock used by Kubrick showed up as blue-tinted compared to the incandescent electric light coming in from the side.
Literally critiques the unrealistic-looking lighting

It usually does.

>Though it appears to be lit entirely with natural light
it literally says the opposite

>realistic lighting

its telling you the difference between natural and unnatural lighting used in the film. specifically that scene. its not critiquing anything.

>it's "user watched Barry Lyndon for the first time yesterday and can't stop spamming that shit all day" episode

I agree that up to that point he was really turning into Upstanding Manly Dude but by the time he got to the countess he left his greed and pride take the better of him, his last Upstanding Dude move was to not kill the Rightful Heir but alas it was too late for him to go back and died in less than agreeable terms, I mean taking money from your ex when she did nothing wrong is something kinda Beta imo

>be Irish
>get shot

DIE

His family dishonered him, and denied his feelings in the pursuit of money.

This destroyed his concept of honor and trust, and he was a strong and capable enough man to make his own living and take what he wanted with great success.
If his own honor could be so lightly tossed away, why should he honor the wealth of others if it gets in the way of what he personally wanted.

This was the lesson he taught himself.

He was desperately searching for a replacement father figure.

So why is this film so overlooked compared to Kubrick's other stuff? I hadn't even heard of it until a few years ago.

because the mass usually finds it long and boring

>Everyone talks up pic related for using all-natural lighting
>Had to use digital instead of film because of it
>Meanwhile, Barry Lyndon came out 40 years earlier, has all-natural lighting, and is actually shot on film.

Why is based still Kubrick so far ahead of everyone else in Hollywood?

Autism rarely strikes genius, but it when it hits, it hits hard.

>has all-natural lighting
Except it doesn't, read the thread.

Never noticed the Triforce in this scene

Cuckoldry

Why the FUCK didn't he hit it?

he was just a boy

BARRY LYNDON MORE LIKE BARRY KUCKDON

Incest

>Kubrick is dead and no one else has reached his level

He was Irish

Hi.

The duel scene at the end was dumb, how the fuck is it fair that they take turns firing at each other?

Bravo Hackbrick

He was ambitious. He married for wealth and for children. Thats why he chote on his wife and hated his step son.

Hi.