Is this a masterpiece?

Is this a masterpiece?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7M8m4LyFSkE&index=3&list=RD5KnlEuOqF0o
youtube.com/watch?v=oWQ6DuW3Brs&index=4&list=RD5KnlEuOqF0o
youtube.com/watch?v=tVPlDG7RKjg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I saw this for the first time last night and fucking bawled my eyes out. Great film.

I just know this song is

youtube.com/watch?v=7M8m4LyFSkE&index=3&list=RD5KnlEuOqF0o

yes

It's a great SOL. Perfect setting in 60s New York with the budding folk music scene. Ending ties the mood of the movie all together

outer

space

you posted the wrong link

youtube.com/watch?v=oWQ6DuW3Brs&index=4&list=RD5KnlEuOqF0o

i tried watching that twice and both times turned it off after 10 minutes. haven't had that happen to me since Tree of Life or the Fountain.

oh fuck. i'll give it another try. what am I supposed to focus on to connect with this movie? what's the hook?

if you don't like the music or can connect with a struggling young adult, you won't enjoy it I guess

youtube.com/watch?v=tVPlDG7RKjg

Fred Neil did it better tbqh

Far from it I'm afraid.
Kill yourself you weakling.

>dude I'm a cool poet who feels things and wears baggy clothes but I can't have a short JUST haircut that exposes my bare head too much because then I wouldn't look coooooooooooool

Absolutley probably my favorite film of the 2010's besides Tree of Life. I love that whole film is pretty much an endless loop.

This.

What the fuck are you talking about?

I hate fucking beatnik scum

*can't

i dunno about that.

but i did like the movie

The soundtrack is better than the movie, but the movie is pretty good.

He's an asshole and you're hoping he will fail

Yes, and it was easily the best film of 2013, and one of the Coen's best. It's kind of a shame it came out during a year full of Oscar bait, so it didn't get the recognition it deserved.

>He's an asshole and you're hoping he will fail
he did nothing wrong tho.
What do you mean he's an asshole?

>it didn't get the recognition it deserved.

it got exactly the recognition it deserved

Still think pic related is best Coen

This one is rising up in director based charts. Yep, it's a masterpiece

what movie did you watch, friendo?
>treats everyone like garbage
>acts like the world owes him something
>is a complete asshole to other performers
>hugely jealous of other performers
>is an asshole to his father and sister
>didn't care that he had a kid
>the women obviously kept the kid from him for a reason
Yeah he's an asshole. That's the point of the movie.

Eh most normies don't really know about this movie.

Coen movies aren't exactly indie. this one is pretentious and boring so it flew under the radar.v

>He's an asshole and you're hoping he will fail
i can work with that

downloading

I don't get it. Was he supposed to be bob dylan?

What? No, Bob Dylan is at the end.

it's an okay movie, everyone's trying to disguise it as a masterpiece of the human spirit when really its just a depressing period piece for the 60s folk music/beatnik lmao shit for hipsters that wished they lived in that time

If hes poor why does he have expensive, nice looking clothes?

the coen brothers know how to make minor characters seem more impressive than the main characters, however the minor characters in this movie are aware of that and turn it into shit

because hipsters today pay lots of money to look like a low life bum from 1963

I don't see any money here.

It was boring. It goes no where. It builds to a flat climax. John Goodman is the best part of the movie.

Eh, coming from someone who likes the Coen brothers, it was a little dry for me. They aren't really that good at character studies because they don't really like anything about their own characters. They prefer caricatures, and like to sadistically torture their protagonists, like Barton Fink and A Serious Man, both of which, while demonstrating essentially the same basic outline stolen from the Book of Job (easily the most Jewish book of the Old Testament), are superior to this film.

Not to say this is a bad film by any means. I mean technically, it's brilliant. The music is perfect, the visuals are phenomenal. But no ACTUAL PEOPLE actually act they way he does.

Pic related, their best work to date, by far.

He is supposed to be Dave Van Ronk, whoever that is.

Agree with you about them not being Indie obviously just saying a lot of people don't know about this one same with A serious man.

Completely disagree about it being pretentious and boring but, to each his own I guess.

Top 10 film of the century so far.

miller's crossing is solid but it's no intolerable cruelty

Bob Dylan at the end signaled the folk scene was just about to hit mainstream. If Llewyn was born just a decade later, maybe everything would have worked out for him, though it's arguable forgotten artists like him inspired Dylan/others in the first place. Just another cosmic sense of bad luck for our "hero".

you suck at watching movies

Nice post bud :^)

This movie is fucking amazing. Llewyn Davis is good AF but this, Fargo, No Country are all better

Jesus. What an asshole

Because it was the 50/60s and what you see as expensive clothes are what low-class musician greenwich village types were wearing. They were the cheap ass shit tier clothes of that time period. Part of the whole movie is that he didn't even have a winter coat

The more I think about it the more it's my favorite Coen.

>They aren't really that good at character studies because they don't really like anything about their own characters. They prefer caricatures, and like to sadistically torture their protagonists

But that's the thing about ILD, he's just as eternally beaten down as all their other protagonists but they sincerely pity him this time. They aren't looking at him with detached irony like always, you see inside him

I agree with everything in this post except for one point, which is that I have known many actual people to act almost EXACTLY the way he does, in real life. Always sacrificing success in the name of artistry, always refusing to grow. This is coming from a place, admittedly, of knowing many actors and musicians

Clothes were made to last back then. People saved up money for a while to be able to afford a coat.

See Gimme Shelter, even dirty hippies in 1969 look dapper as fuck compared to normal people today

I've loved it since the first time I saw it and honestly every time I think about it I love it even more. It's such a tragic story/character and there's so many understated themes throughout the entire film that I really think you have to ponder it for a while to really enjoy it.