What is the deal with this movie?

What is the deal with this movie?
I just started it and got halfway and stopped, is this supposed to be a comedy? I get an action movie having some light comedy but this feels way too much.
>I'm going to science the shit out of this
Fucking really? Sounds like they're just asking for people to put that on T-shirts and sell it.

When Kristen Wiig showed up on screen I started snickering.
When Benedict Wong showed up I burst out laughing. Every time he spoke I just heard I AM YOUR GREAT KAHN.

Convince me to finish this piece of shit

No, quit while you're ahead. It just gets worse. Excessive and uneccesary dramatic sequences really start to steal screentime and I would also like to point on le quirky black science kid and the space program cooperation with China as huge negativities.

It's just a light-hearted survival flick

I guess Ridley Scott wanted something a bit safer after Prometheus

This pretty much sums it up OP
Although the last third is really good

After every """""funny""""" line I can practically hear the audience laughing their heads off.
thank god I didn't see this in theaters

>is this supposed to be a comedy?
Yes. I won golden globe for best comedy.
I think it was shilled as a comedy just so it would win awards.

>I'm going to reddit the shit out of this movie

This movie is made for plebs.

>Its a crazy young slacker scientist saves the day episode

Holy fuck I tried to give it a chance but as soon as I saw Donald Glover I instantly closed the video.
Don't know how this got so much praise on RT

It's a movie for families, genius

>I don't know if I should like this movie
>I better shit post on Cred Forums to find out

Man you people are all irredeemable faggots. It was what this guy said , a light-hearted survival movie with a couple of laughs, a few tense moments, and no real villains, just a race against time and a battle against Mars itself. It was nice to see a movie that put space exploration in a positive light that also had a height dose of humanity and cooperation. All my co-workers at my aerospace firm liked it, and I really enjoyed it. Fuck off, you knuckle-drawing arm-chair-critic wannabe cunts

I work for SpaceX and we fucking hated it. No fucking institution would spend billions of dollars to send actual retards on a Mars mission.

>I work for SpaceX
Care to give us even a tiny preview of what's to come at the IAC?

Building your mother's vibrator

>I work for SpaceX
Lel whatever you fucking say, nerd

"I'm going to science the shit out of this" might be said by someone as a throwaway, silly remark who doesn't realize that they're under the microscope of obese neckbeards in the midst of a forum war, who associate the comment with "Reddit." Using "science" as a verb was something commonly done on Cred Forums until it became too popular and asshurt manchildren decided it wasn't cool anymore.

If you form your entire perception of the world based on this shitty site, you should at least have the awareness to recognize that not everyone else does.

Thus of course ignores the fact that SpaceEx's entire fucking reason for existing is manned Mars missions.

>SpaceX's Elon Musk to unveil Mars colonization plan
>USA TODAY - 6 hours ago

>I'm gonna science tha shit outta dis :^)

I fucking hate Matt Damon so goddamn much

what are some good scifi movies on netflix
my favorites are moon and interstellar

>No fucking institution would spend billions of dollars to send actual retards on a Mars mission.
What is the entire purpose of your fucking company?

I love how "I'm going to science the shit out of this" is a line casually said and people chuckled and kept watching but Cred Forums started going apeshit with "REDDIT!" like it's the end of the world or at least makes the movie shit

100% this. People on Cred Forums denigrate as some shit that only a normie would say, but they seem to have completely fucking forgotten that only normies become astronauts

>All my co-workers at my aerospace firm liked it
so people who work at aerospace firms can have shit taste too? No offence but I wouldn't want to fly in anything you guys built

It's pretty common. I know it's TV rather than film, but Orange is the New Black and Transparent both do the same thing.

This was such an engineering flick. You just rely on your rational mind, and can overcome any obstacle that comes in your way. I haven't read the book, but what I've heard it's similar.

In reality you would get severe psychological issues if living in solitude for so long and probably even physiological problems because of that. Skipping the mental side of survival made it totally implausible of me.

>fun
>light hearted
>well-received
>not pretentious
>people of various races and nationalities work together

Well of course Cred Forums hates it.

Man I truly liked this movie, was really
surprised to find out how much it is hated here.
Sure, the iron man scene was very stupid
but the rest I loved

There's a new genre of film out there, and I don't think it has a name yet. So let's just call it the "Last Week Tonight segment film." It's like some kind of info-tainment, but leaning heavily on the comedy. Take 'The Martian' and 'The Big Short' for example, because they're probably the two best examples of this genre, they take big, hefty high-brow topics like space travel and the econimic crisis, and they pack in a bunch of low-brow humor, and in the end the audience leaves having enjoyed themselves, but also thinking they learned something too.

Anyone got any other examples of this kind of movie?

I'm coining it.

"Explainatainment"

I liked it a lot the first time I saw it, after reading the book I was pretty excited. On a second view I found it a bit drab like it was missing something. What it was missing was all of the stuff that made the book special, also unfortunately not translatable to film.

So you're left with a slightly hollow but generally good film.

It gets WAY worse after half way. It just descends into retardation.

Kill yourself retard. The world would honestly be better off without you.

The martian? more like the cucktian, lmao

>generally good

>that one super nerd who thinks he needs to explain how slingshotting rockets works to the director of NASA and feels he needs to simulate the sounds with his mouth.

Right there was when they dropped all pretense and showed the audience exactly what they thought of them: literal fucking retards.

shit. excrement! OK?

Both of these movies were adapted from books that were 100x more intelligent and entertaining
Coincidence?

Europa Report is actually good. It's low budget but worth watching imo.

Apollo 13, not sure if it's on netflix and it's more sci than fi but still one of my favorite movies.

Its supposed to be MacGyver in Space so yeah, it supposed to be amusing and not serious.
Its also supposed to be science for plebs, and I take nothing away from it, someone's gotta try to make space relevant and understandable for normies

Astronomy is the most runtish science out there. Only braindead morons impressed by big flames and rocks actually think its interesting.

Ayyy. What's the deal with airline food? Kys.

I second this. And I wouldn't even call it 'low budget' - just not Hollywood high profile.

Low risk high production quality space survival flick.

Woulda been a lot more interesting if NASA didn't learn he was alive until much later so you get to witness him spiraling out of control a lot further due to crippling loneliness and isolation, but oh well we already have MOON for that

The actual bit that bothers me the most about this entire movie?

Not these supposed 'Astronauts' filling the airways with random high-school tier chatter, or the histrionic way they convey information when shit starts to go wrong (NASA etc don't do that, ever, when Neil Armstrong was running low on fuel trying to land the Apollo 11 Eagle Lander they didn't tell him anything apart from '40 seconds'. Not ''OMG Neil Land, you've only got 40 seconds worth of fuel or you're gonna crash!' just '40 seconds' and that was enough) Ironically enough NASA's low key coded communications is partially what led to public interest declining from the space race after they landed on the moon the first time, so you can see why it's not in the movies realistically.

All that I can forgive cos you've gotta cater to the audience, what I can't forgive is that supposedly the entire world is caught up in saving Mark Watney, with even the Chinese of all people helping out and eventually saving the day (gotta dip into those Asian audiences amirite) while the actual kings of space, the Russians don't even get mentioned a single time or weigh in on this 'global' effort.

You guys know it's based on a book, right? It has the same jokes, too.

Oh fuck I can't breathe

The book was better, as in most cases. The movie lost most of the charm in the light moments, and all of the tension in the dark moments. Also the movie cuts out huge chunks of his trip to save time, so the pacing is fucked and it feels a bit rushed.

You can say it had problems tonally but it proved to me that Scott still got it when it comes to Sci-fi movies and his set design is fucking amazing. With good writing, he can give us another few GREAT Alien movies which is a franchise that desperately needs a reboot. Just look at that brilliant Alien Isolation game. Fucking great setting and great lore.

Say what you want about Star Wars but the foundation of the gritty Sci-fi we know today was the original Alien movie. It is to Sci-fi what LOTR was to D&D.

Alien introduced the whole concept of sinister space corporations, evil robots and all those other tropes that show up in every thriller or horror no matter if movie or game.

It's bad. It only gets a slap on the wrist around here because it's a Ridley Scott flick and there are quite a few Ridley Scott shills around here.

It's a the director of NASA dont know what a slingshot manouvre is episode

>Woulda been a lot more interesting if NASA didn't learn he was alive until much later so you get to witness him spiraling out of control a lot further due to crippling loneliness and isolation

Except he wouldn't. Believe it or not not everyone reacts to crisis the same way. Especially people for high risk missions like this, they need to be the types who thrive under pressure and don't collapse. Combine that with how they setup early that he's the type to deal with stress by using humor and his mental state seems perfectly believable.