Woman with no formal military training

>woman with no formal military training
>cuts off the head of the fucking dragon thing first thing without even trying

>image.jpg

have you seen the movies dude? we saw her practicing with a sword in théoden's hall in 'the two towers'.

did you miss her line about being the former Head Dragonslayer at Hogwarts

Felt more believable than that dude dual wielding swords riding a horse under the megaphant cutting it's ankles (?) causing it to fall and die.

Yea I also demand extreme realism in my fantasy movies about magic and shit

It's not realism so much as consistency. If the monster is established as a massive hard-to-kill beast, then it shouldn't be killed so easily by a woman, who, in the LOTR universe, haven't been established as particularly stronger than IRL women.
Details are important. I don't know why I'm defending OP's shitpost, though.

#justSJWthings

Shes not slaying a dragon, shes not hunting the beast through the wilderness, shes not fucking dueling the thing for 6 hours.

She seized an opportunity to cut its head while it was distracted.

Typical woman.

If it wasn't for pippin the witch king would have killed her

*Merry

I remember the movie vaguely showed her practicing with the sword which is enough the movie is already long, I think the book may have more back story for her combat skills

This isn't some shit with power levels where you need to be a level 100 knight to slice off the head of an epic boss mount.

Swords were established to cut things, she swung the sword, she cut his head off.
It's not like she was having an easy time of it.

I'm pretty sure she's described as a shieldmaiden, even before the battle.

yeah it was her too, such a strong woman.
>slays orcs like butter killing them in one hit
truly a masterpiece

>no formal military training

She's a Shieldmaiden of Rohan and niece of the king, she probably had more training than most men.

>noble woman that have never seen battle before and romaticizes war like a child
>literally steps aside and slices through flying lizard head like its nothing then proceeds to 1 hit a nazgul
>"I'm no man"
literally anime tier

>hating SJWs so much that you have to start making shit up to complain about
You're as bad as them user.

You literally just swing it

don't ever post here or at my wife's son's nepalese fingerpainting drum circles ever again.

It started getting pretty stupid by the third movie. Hackson was coming into the world, sputtering and coughing up his new Hackavision dream of barrel rides and fairy acrobatics.

The bigger issue is how the heroes would narrowly avoid being killed a dozen times in 1 minute . It was pretty shit.

>you need training to realise how a sword works
>she has never used a knife

You are a fucking retard, son.

All the princesses of Rohan trained to defend they homes, what are you talking about. Rohirrim are a mix of Scythians/Sarmatans and Anglo saxons, so some aspects like noble warrior ladies aren't far fetched.

Forgetting the part where Merry saved her life? Dweeb

But was the fell beast established as a powerful monster? It could fly and was used for fast attacks but it was shown in The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers™ that a single arrow losened by Faramir harmed it enough for the Nazgül to flee.

That was far from a fucking dragon you dumb nigger, it was barely even a wyvern

Alan Lee

In the fellowship of the ring book Legolas kills one with a single arrow

>it's a neckbeard gets triggered by a woman doing anything episode

I think I've seen this one before.

>Shieldmaiden

kys senpai

I zoom in and wonder how the fuck can someone draw like this. So many layers just using pencils

Eowyn was scared shitless but stepped up because her father figure was dying. It's a heroic saga, and that the weakest will fight is the entire point of LOTR

Just practice getting depth in the dark parts. The linework are whats hard and impressive

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

READ THE FUCKING BOOKS

This, dumbasses don't understand that Hobbits and women in LOTR represent the young 17-25 year old soldiers in WW1, fighting the most grueling war in history and showing unimaginable bravery despite being super young and naive.

but remember she btfo aragorn, and he's a good fighter.

>READ THE FUCKING BOOKS

or just pay attention to the movies, she has a sword and says to aragorn "the women of this country learned long ago, those without swords can still die upon them"

WHAT DID SHE MEAN BY THIS?

>>woman with no formal military training

Source?

Weren't rohirrim kinda open minded with their women? Men and women even noble people knew about horses and shit.

I wish they would have established Merry's Barrow-blade, would have explained a little more why Eowyn was able to defeat the Witch-king.

What part of GoT was this? Sophie looks really different here.

This is my biggest problem with LOTR, almost every time the characters face death they are miraculously saved. Hardly anything happens out of their own agency.

WW1 was mostly luck anyway, it's a war where luck is the only difference between bravery and death, that's how Tolkien viewed battles.

Gandalf fell in moria
Borromir dies
Theoden's son killed by uruks
Saruman killed by wormtongue (in film)

It's not like nobody dies
I suppose you would prefer it if every character died every hour, a la game of thrones, in order to keep you entertained

have you ever tried to cut a steak through in one go, let alone a living mythical beast?

She hacked the beast's head off with one swing in the books too.

Which is why Faramir and Eowyn hook up in the end, something I'm glad they added into the extended cut.

Faramir represented the common man walking below giants (the fellowship) while Eowyn was the thrill-seeker who realizes war leaves a bitter taste in your mouth. Both of them settling down to "be healers and watch things grow" is something Tolkien probably experienced on a deeply personal level after World War 1.

I have slain many a steak!

why am I not surprised you like stranger shit
shit tier bait, shit tier taste, get the fuck out

Rohan was a fusion of Anglo-Saxon and Sarmatian culture, the Sarmatians were pretty open about the whole "warrior-women" thing while the Anglo-Saxons gave her the hyper-blonde, Valkyrie-esque appearance of a shield-maiden.

my anger is squelched for now

provided that the nu-males and queens acknowledge she's *emotionally* strong and *strong-willed* *despite* her naivete and tiny frame

which they won't
because they don't understand this narrative

fascinating!

Tolkien was a devout Catholic who believed strongly in divine providence; things did not just "happen," luck was a sign of God (or gods) nudging you in a direction.

And in the case of Gollum, providence LITERALLY nudged him off the ledge, aided by the ring's self-destructive tendencies when it promised to "destroy" Gollum if he laid a finger on it again.

>I suppose you would prefer it if every character died every hour

whatever babby nice exaggeration

LOTR is myth. In folk stories the hero always cuts the bad guys head off in a single swing, they aren't concerned with how unrealistic it is.

This is a big thing people always forget/miss about Tolkien's work. It's myth.

>Éowyn: Be gone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!
>Nazgûl: Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shriveled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.
>Éowyn: Do what you will, but I will hinder it, if I may.
>Nazgûl: Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!
>Éowyn: But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Be gone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

>As he towered over her, preparing to deliver the final blow, Merry snuck up behind him and plunged his sword into the back of Witch-king's knee. The sword, made in Westernesse centuries ago, broke the magic of Sauron that kept the Witch-king anchored to this world. While the Witch-King was distracted, Éowyn drove her sword where the head of the wraith would have been, slaying him.

The Witch-king died because he believed a misunderstood prophecy.

TheHobbits should've died when the orcs/goblins went in Balins tomb in FotR. They didn't even showed them swordfighting at all but the 4 of them did pull out their swords. I can only assume they didn't actually slash anything, at least not Frodo. I can forgive Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli surviving impossible odds because they are the best of the best (or at least I assume they are) in terms of battling skills

One man's god is another's luck. Thematically it's the same regardless: physically weak people being brave and being favored by luck/god and conquering insurmountable odds through willpower. As a christian, Tolkien believed in fundamental weakness and powerlessness in men, and so it's not surprising that weak characters that reject their pride and leave their lives to fate are rewarded for their faith. Conquering through sheer greatness has never been the Christian way, they always gave credit to God for success.

Using a sword isn't that hard though.

No it took her a few hits to cut the head off. Also it's not a dragon it's a fell beast.

why did Aragog pick that elvish uggo over this shieldmaiden qt?

>TheHobbits should've died when the orcs/goblins went in Balins tomb in FotR

yeah but that would have been a really short movie.

>hollywood will never get their filthy hands on the silmarillion

it's going to be a 90 episode 'mini'series on netflix.

no

christopher will never let them have it

Eventually he'll die and his kids will see $$$ in their eyes.

It wasn't a dragon it was just a big bat thing. THIS is a dragon.

adam, who'll be in charge after christopher dies, already said he has no intention of selling the rights

>only 2 legs

Cool wyvern faggot

She had Merry holding the reins at that point.

>If the monster is established as a massive hard-to-kill beast
But it wasn't. Your argument fell apart in the first second. The beasts were only "hard to kill" because everyone was afraid of them, and the only reason why Èowyn stands her ground is that she has to protect Theoden.

Thank god
>there will NEVER be a "modern" adaptation of a Tolkien story with forced "diversity"

>Saruman killed by wormtongue (in film)
In the books as well. Just not at Orthanc.

>Eowyn defeats the witch king
>implying
I like it how you all specists just skip the fact that she got rekt and would have inevitably died if not for one brave hobbit

you should all be ashamed of yourselves

ITT: Plebs who don't know merry'sbarrow blade hitting the witchking's leg is what weakened him and allowed him to be killed.

"Doubtless the Orcs despoiled them, but feared to keep the knives, knowing them for what they are: work of Westernesse, wound about with spells for the bane of Mordor." - Aragorn