In this thread; what were your thoughts of Melancholia?

in this thread; what were your thoughts of Melancholia?

and what did you think of the way the movie was divided into different sections?

and were claire's and justine's parts meant to be different realities of each other?

LvT films are unpenetrable to me. I get nothing out of them

did you watch Melancholia as well? did you feel nothing at all?

yup. they do nothing for me. absolutely nothing. i don't even feel enough to dislke them .

but it is such an emotional movie. maybe you are not an emotional type of person or look for something different in movies?
are there any of movies or directors that have the opposite effect for you?

I felt like I was born anew when I watched the latest three Malick films (Tree of Life > To the Wonder > Knight of Cups) in 2 days.

>I felt like I was born anew
i think that goes without saying after watching malick movies

to the wonder is fucking awful m8
wtf is wrong with you

i thought it was one of the better depictions of crippling depression, especially one that didn't resort to fuckloads of onscreen alcohol/drug use.

I thought it was pretty good tbqh, definitely his best since Dogville

Quite an improvement over the french-horror rip-off shitshow dedicated to andrei tarkovsky (stfu trier) that was antichrist

I felt like a good portion of the things he did were to meaninglessly masturbate his intellect a little ex. rearranging the painting books, but at the same time a good portion of it was really powerful. I really like how well he juxtaposed the family dissolving to the planet crashing

Malick is super hit and miss and i think its due to his camera style
With the distant voice overs and the floating camera style with lots of cuts, nothing ever happens in his shots, but something is always happening
We get insight into the souls (deeper parts) of the characters but at the same time, don't really know them at all because we never see them do anything

To the Wonder was a very good film about love and faith tho.
Could have been amazing if he had edited more of the Priest in there. So beautiful.

To the Wonder's character is love and its facets and there's lot of (autobiographical) insight to it (and faith).

Plus technically his directing is amazing, it's like a memory stream, so powerful in what it does. Amazing.

but this thread was about Melancholia.

agreed. they do absolutely nothing for me. the only people I know who like his stuff are all women. not exaggerating. all my ex's loved them as well as their friends.

perhaps von Trier is one of the rare "only women will understand this" directors.

interesting

>vlcsnap.
why

poore

mpc sound doesn't go beyond 100%

uhh, so? digital amplification only ruins the sound.

Either they are shit or I'm retarded. Most likely both.

mostly the latter

i think the closer you are to the autism spectrum, the less likely you are to enjoy or understand lvt's films. i don't mean this as an insult either.

>i don't mean this as an insult either.

I love this meme

welp

>to the wonder is fucking awful m8
>wtf is wrong with you
t. rotten tomatoes fan

Charlotte Gainsbourg is a horrible actress.

i find her fantastic

i thought she was really good in it

>>Charlotte Gainsbourg is a horrible actress.

leave charlotte alone you piece of shit