ITT: oddities in director's filmographies

ITT: oddities in director's filmographies
I can't believe that Dusan Makavejev, the same person who made avant-garde weirdness like Sweet Movie and WR, made an Eric Roberts comedy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5MXLDvQHct4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This movie has my favorite rendition of Waltzing Matilda.

youtube.com/watch?v=5MXLDvQHct4

>Dusan Makavejev

>ywn get kicked out of a communist country for being too much of a degenerate leftist

Wasn't hard, in most Eastern Bloc countries rock was scrutinized as being too Western/American (i.e. degenerate in their eyes)

I saw port of call bad lientenant when I was like 16 and didn't know much of film then but I really loved it even though I dislike nicohlas cage and only after getting into herzog realized he made it. It's such a departure from say enigma of kaspar hauser but you can't compare them because herzog is insane and can pull off doing entirely polarizing film and switching up his style for whatever he's currently interested in doing.

>went to film school with Tarkovsky
>scripted Ivan's Childhood and Andrei Rublev with Tark
>made fucking Tango and Cash
>now is back making Russian arthouse
Also apparently a stud having fucked models, Shirley MacLaine and Nastassja Kinski and his current wife is something like 40 years younger than him

This piece of shit.

Even The Touch wasn't this bad.

>The Day the Clown Cried

The footage that's floating around is really hard to give accurate reaction to because it's been butchered and lacks a proper sound remix, and it's been re-dubbed into German.

But in spite of all of that like there's something decidedly off about the rushes. The children are all well fed, the way they surround Lewis like he's the messiah or they're a flock of lambs.
Oh and the sentimentalism... gee whizz!

>Prince directs...
>...Prince
>Melodrama
>Art Deco
>Saint Tropez

Wait, I didn't know the Russian Foreign Minister makes mooooovies!?

I always knew Bela Lugosi was immortal

Great actors never die... they just move on to different roles.

At least we got a nice special edition Sega Game Gear out of it.

wasn't this his first color film too?

He wasn't kicked out, Yugoslavia financed most of his career with state funds, what are you on about?

He just wanted to be a dissident and get even more money from the west.

To the best of my recollection YES.
He didn't' shoot with color again until En Passion.
Good thing too because I love the cinematography in that film.

>He maaaay have done a commercial or something in color, but I don't remember.

>Yugoslavia
>Eastern Bloc
Retard.

you seem to know your shit
drop down and gimme your top 5 bergmans

Michael Moore made a John Candy comedy.

In no particular order
>En Passion
>Persona
>Autumn Sonata
>Scenes from a Marriage
>Through a Glass Darkly

Although if you want visuals and maybe have a begrudging fondness of Wes Anderson, then do Cries and Whispers.

cool
i'm doing him chronologically and right now i'm up to winter light

You're about to hit his golden years then.

Winter Light is fucking beautifully shot. But I think around that time is when he found a real groove, he made so many films with impeccable execution and it's not just down to the crew, he was just writing amazing scripts.

The SIlence is really the moment that he got the whole distillation of drama thing down pat.

But yeah, all the films I mentioned, especially things like Persona or Scenes from a Marriage it isn't even about the form, it's just about the characters, the psychology which draws me in.