What are the essential Tarkovsky films? Just watched stalker

What are the essential Tarkovsky films? Just watched stalker

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q8f80zhpYF4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Sacrifice, Andrei Rublev and Zerkalo

All of them, he made 7 not counting Steamroller and the Violin

Everything he made, even his student films.

all of them

Literally all of them, you can't go wrong if you have the patience and mood for one.

Ivan's Childhood and Solaris are the more accessible ones.

whatever one is the shortest, you see everything you need to with one

fucking watch all of the movies they are just about 6 or 7. And when youre done with this you can start with akira kurosawa you fucking cunt

I always find it funny how people say you need patience for arthouse films like Tarkovsky's. They're breathtakingly beautiful, they're not even that long in runtime and he has so much to say yet people say they need patience as if 'nothing happens', maybe these are visually illiterate people talking to other visually illiterate people, but it still weirds me out.

If anything you need patience to watch any of the modern Hollywood crap since they're so calculated, so predictable and so damn safe while also not being visually striking, let alone contributing to cinema as visual language.

but yeah /ramblings.

I think Sacrifice is the only one that's little less accessible, maybe due to the nature of him making the film while being aware that cancer would kill him.

Stalker and Solaris are the best. The rest is fully visionary with no good script. If you like his style, you should check them, but there's just nice picture and really nothing more.

Mighty ignorant of you to be frank. He was clearly a very visual director and if you only watch films from the point of view of a written script you lose a lot out of them since he tells his stories and narratives with images and sounds rather than scripts

Just watch it on 1.5x speed. Or if your a fast reader 2x speed.

Am I the only one who thinks that The Sacrifice is Tark's ode to Bergman?
>It's in Swedish
>Erland Josephson and other stock Bergman Actors
>Location looks like Rohr island where I.B. shot many of his films
>Hysterical female suffering scene directly inspired by Cries and Whispers
>Tark said in his book he admrired I.B.

Like Malick he only made kino and you should watch all

*Faro

The Bergman influence in Stalker and Nostalghia is a very common point to make about his late career.

Bergman's cinematographer worked int he Sacrifice (actually released in OFFRET like you said) too.

Kurosawa wasn't even close to the best Japanese director and they aren't even as good as the big three: Tarkovsky, Bergman, and Brendon.

Solaris is the worst one though

>Stalker
Fucking meant Offret oh god I've drank too much fucking coffee.

I've liked Mizoguchi and Kobayashi way way more than Kurosawa or Ozu. Ozu's good, but Kurosawa does nothing for me.

I think Solaris has way too much dialogue in general for a film (IIRC) and when it's played by really bad actors it makes it even worse, but the first 40 minutes of Solaris are 10/10 every minute.

Kurosawa is mostly influencial for being the first japanese director to break into the mainstream with Rashomon. It was a hit all over the world, not just japan and helped japan's movie industry become better known.

Mizoguchi and Kobayashi are both great directors

Can't overlook Shohei Immamura either. He has some great New Wave pictures worth seeing. Some great postwar on location shooting in Pigs and Battleships. The Japanese Germany Year Zero with more Yakuza.

Thanks for the rec, I'll check some of his films later.

Some of the dialogue parts drag and don't add a whole lot to it. But it makes up for it with the incredible cinematography of the rest of the film.

I think kurosawa is the best. I maybe prefer him even over Bergman. All of his movies gives me a certain feeling of true humanity. Derzu Uzala is one of his way underrated movie.

I only know Woman in the Dunes by Hiroshi Teshigahara which was quite impressive. Can you recommend any other movies by him?

Face of Another obviously. Haven't seen his others besides those two though.

Pitfall
youtube.com/watch?v=q8f80zhpYF4

Don't feel any of that from Kurosawa.
I've seen most of his filmography down to the short films and I highly recommend just going chronologically,

buym