Ghost in the shell

What the fuck did i just watch?

Ghost in the shell?

Virginal weebs trying and failing to be deep to attract potential mates.

According to the title of your thread and that screenshot, you just watched Ghost in the Shell.

A low IQ version of Neuromancer

cool chink cartoon

this desu

The fucking internet spawned sentient life.

Reminder that GITS:SAC 2nd Gig is what happens when your country decides to take in millions of refugees. And those were actual refugees too.

RIP Europe

>le im addicted to drugs novel so innovative wooow

Fuck off

>DUDE SINGULARITY LMAO

Its a try-hard film with pretty good animation about AI sentience. It spends 2hrs trying to explain something that isnt particularly deep to begin with, and does it with such pompousness, I couldnt get through it on my first watch. It is pretty though

this

neuromancer and gibson are fucking garbage, wish i could get back the time i wasted reading that schlock written by some fag who STILL barely knows shit about computers, let alone hacking, even though he's been making shit up about it for years now

people only think neuromancer is good cyberpunk because they're lacking in experience with ACTUAL cyberpunk that's built on reality, rather than cyberpunk that's built on some serious fantasy shit by someone who's barely competent with a modern day computer, so they just make shit up that sounds cool and throw around a bunch of bullshit jargon to seem authentic, book is fucking offensive to anyone with even the most basic of knowledge about anything that ''''''''story'''''''' revolved around

it sickens me that people think gibson and/or that book were some kind of pioneering masterpiece for the genre, when it really set shit back by making fan-fiction-tier stories acceptable because MUH HACK MUH ONO SENDAI MUH POORLY FUCKING RESEARCHED PORTRAIT OF THE MOST BASIC THINGS

fuck gibson and his shitty, garbage fire style fiction, i've never read a novel and gotten second hand cringe from the author until i happened upon that dogshit

fuckin right i'm mad too, cry at me faggots, i don't care

kino of the highest order

it's only importance is that they invented a bunch of words like matrix or cyberspace

wtf I hate dejima now

A movie about sex.

Chloe?

>Its a try-hard film with pretty good animation about AI sentience
>about AI sentience

should have cast chloe instead of scarlett

i'm from germany
watched SAC 2nd Gig for the first time recently
didn't feel good, i can tell ya

Good luck, my kraut friend. Hopefully Europe's situation can be resolved somehow without it actually going nuclear like it did in 2nd Gig.

i'm prepared to go full holocaust on those muslim shits

>with ACTUAL cyberpunk that's built on reality
neuromancer is like, one of the origins of cyberpunk, user. Barring asimov I can't think of anything else that popularized the subculture/genre.

Please don't be mad with me.

>yfw you realize Section 9 and the Tachikomas were actually the bad guys in 2nd Gig
Fuck... I wouldn't say Goda was the good guy but damn.

>It's a Scarjo won't get naked in the new movie but it will still be called a faithful adaptation episode

i wouldnt put it past them to give her a GCI body double.

>neuromancer is like, one of the origins of cyberpunk

maybe if you're unaware of say, idk, something as fucking mainstream as blade runner (1982, two years before that hack sat down and had the bowel movement that is neuromancer, or it's source material which is also pretty entry level, and released in 19fucking68 to boot)

but it's okay, i won't get mad with you, it's not your fault so many people latched on to that pile of shit and decided it was some seminal work of art within the genre because as i stated before, it was likely their introduction to the genre in the first place, and a piss poor one at that when they had so many other opportunities prior to engage with that sort of material but didn't bother because some people just like junkfood fiction, and it just happens to fit the bill

everything i said before still stands, though, cyberpunk was around and well long before gibson's tripe and was being done better, too, so you can reference him as an "origin" if you like, but it's not so, or rather, only applies to people who don't know any better

I'd call you pedantic but I guess you're right. I could go further back than you stated with some other examples. though they could be slotted into general dystopian sci-fi or something.

fun fact: i WAS going to go back further, like you said was possible, but then it wouldn't have been anything quite so prolific in comparison, insofar as being an "origin" of the genre is concerned

hell, the last image i posted technically falls into the category and it's incredibly old as fuck

blade runner/android just made sense because it's actually technically speaking far more popular than neuromancer, and captured that lightning in a bottle that gibson flailed around after long before he was even relevant to the genre or scene

thing is, if you knew you could go further back too, why try to paint that trash as "origin" material in the first place? it seems you already knew better, less childish interpretations came well before it

also, you can call me whatever you want, was just stating facts in response to your claim, user-kun ;^) it's nice to have a decent dicusssion for once at least

>google first cyberpunk novel
>William Gibson with his novel Neuromancer (1984) is likely [according to whom?] the most famous writer connected with the term cyberpunk
>[according to whom?]
toppest of keks

neuromancer is the most awarded science fiction book in history, maybe you just don't get it

tbf blade runner and android are about robots and neuromancer is about the internet

there are a lot of books and films about robots but before neuromancer there wasn't much (if any) fiction about the net
and it was written a good few years before most people even knew the net existed

Ok, saw Blade Runner. Haven't read Neuromancer (One of these days, I will, I swear)

How about Snow Crash, user? I know it's a meme sci-fi novel on cocaine that never takes itself seriously, but I really liked it. What's your opinion on that one?

Awarded with scifi accolades, so in other words garbage. No academic recognition. No awards that any cultured person would give a fuck about.

Am I pleb if I liked akira more?

no, Akria is objectively better

>muh awards
also seecool, pretty sure they were given to him by people who also knew fuckall about computers, or the internet, and in all likelihood thought what he had written had some semblance of reality at the time, when he was really just coing generic jargon and making shit up as he went along, because even he admits, he knows jackshit about actual hacking, or the internet

he's basically the "i thought neon genesis sounded cool" of shitty fiction writers, but you can hang off of his dick on the basis of awards if you want, i won't stop you
and we were talking about the origin of cyberpunk, not the subject of the material itself, which i why i said it was possible to go back to works dated even farther back than blade runner & it's original counterpart

if you're going to somehow try to argue that blade runner and android aren't cyberpunk because they don't inherently make the internet the main allure of their fiction, you don't know what the fuck cyberpunk means and should eject yourself from the discussion right away
it's okay if for you, and all of these other plebs to enjoy these kinds of shitty novels, like i said before, some people just like junk fiction and it can't be helped

my opinion is that it's also shit, but for the reasons you've already noted: it's memetastic in it's portrayal and while that was almost certainly stephenson's intent, it was a turn off for me in much the same way gibson's garble about childish shit like OMG ono sendai and being really tryhard with environmental settings, slang, etc. none of it feels authentic, but again, with stephenson it was very much (or seemed that way, pretty sad if otherwise) on purpose at least

you're also quite at liberty to challenge oo disagree with my opinion, but i'll forever consider these novels simple-minded, convenient takes on a sub-culture the authors themselves have little to no experience with, both then, and now

also, since that last post was too long, i wasn't able to say i'm done here

my apologies to plebs whose entry-level sensibilities were triggered, that was not my intent, but rather to explain exactly why gibson and his shitty book don't deserve the acclaim they've been afforded among people who ''''''think'''''' that shit is top-tier cyberpunk, simply because they don't know any better, are out of touch with other works, whatever

made my point quite clearly, and can see that the only direction any further posting will take what could have been a decent discussion is down, down, down

it's been fun chaps, & remember, gibson is shit, you're allowed to think otherwise, and by no means have to defend him from some overly rabid anonymous hater on a korean child labor protest board, have a nice day/evening/morning, whatever, you fucking faggots

Not if you're talking about the manga. Akira books>GitS movie>Akira movie

Have yourself a nice day as well, user

What's some good cyberpunk to read?

I've already read Do Androids dream of electric sheep.

Some dope ass shit

KAITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>BLAH BLAH BLAH
shit is genious everything is thinly veiled prose
love the hinted snuff

>everything is thinly veiled prose
Doesn't even make any sense.

>What the fuck did i just watch?

The internet became self-aware and literally mind-fucked a cyborg.

>i've never read a novel and gotten second hand cringe from the author until i happened upon that dogshit

you should read ready player one. Someone post the pages. you know them

>falling for bait

it's one of those "essential" cyberpunk novels that everyone's read

This looks like kino....

i liked how 2 had batou and togusa as the main characters more tbqh

you know, all this ranting about a single book is only making more interested in reading it. I think your intent is backfiring on you.

akira is definitely more fleshed out in the manga, but the movie is an intense sensory experience.

I agree. The Major is really shit tbph.

Spoiler alert: chloe is the stunt double for that scene

I just finished reading Neuromancer the other day. I found it terrible. I couldn't read it in one sitting, I had to put it down for months at a time before I could muster up enough interest to continue reading it.

What bothered me about it was the prose. I didn't like his style. His fragmented, disjointed sentences are weird, as is his overuse of strange metaphors.

I read Snow Crash and liked that a whole lot more. Same goes for Altered Carbon.

that is kino, some of the best parts of Akira are the glimpses of Neo Tokyo like that, there's another one of the city while going down one of the highways and its similar to that

i dunno if i'd go that far, but i really don't think she's very compelling as a lead

A friend of mine said to watch this a while back. Wonder if there's a decent download on nyaa or something...

God anime quality has gone down the shitter thanks to 3D models and CGI.

Yeah the Japs can shit out more anime at a faster pace and we get more stuff now but the old stuff looks so superior to stuff made today...

I'm fine with shit talking Neuromancer all day but the people in here claiming Snow Crash is better are fucking delusion.

Reddit gets thrown around a lot as a buzzword, but it's a pretty good example of a meme book.

Comparing the most expensive 2D animated movie ever produced in Japan to cheap glorified advertising billboards for the latest fad manga or fad LN isn't really fair.

I guess, but even still... I miss pure 2D animation. The original GITS looked excellent as well (to stay on topic). Now it's all about making as many shows you can as fast as you can for the most profit you can.

Which is pretty much true for almost all industries the past few decades. That's why I gave up on the video game industry years and years ago. They just kept producing shit left and right so I stopped caring. Same with the Television and Film industries.

Now I made myself sad.

>if I refuse to acknowledge anything that isn't a AAA production that means everything is the same
You deserve to be sad.

Name me 3 animated kino, 2 video games, and 2 and a half movies that have excellent production quality and tell gripping tales and are all around amazing pieces of work released in the past 10 years.

hehe I'll lash out at him and tell him to deliver examples in an argumentative way. He'll never catch on that I need some new anime and movies to watch and won't see it as a rec post

nigga an abundance of cheap toy/manga/ln commercial shows is like the one thing that's remained the same for the past 40 years of anime

Shes a big cyborg.

You have to respect that the genre originated with Neuromancer. However, you are right on the other points. GitS far surpasses Neuromancer both in universe depth, technical depth and philosophical depth.

I thought Neuromancer was a great read. That dude can go on a crusade all day about how it's not the best OG example of cyberpunks true roots, but regardless of his opinion it's still the most influential and root point work alongside Blade Runner. And you can see all the DNA they dispersed in the last 30 years.

Snow Crash is third in the Sprawl Trilogy right? I've started Count Zero a couple times, I just get distracted.

GITS is an imaginative and philosophical concept of what it means to be human in a futuristic world where the line between human and machine has become blurred by cybernetic technology, deeply integrated into just about every aspect of society. GITS proposes that in this world, 'consciousness' might take on a whole new meaning and it is Motoko, who is willing to take any step necessary to explore and understand this.

count Zero and then mona lisa overdrive. snow crash is an entirely different novel by a different writer.

So...what's your probability of this Scarjo led GITS not just carrying the names and iconic style, but actually getting into the sociopolitics and philosophy?

I think it's gonna be super surface level action and imagery, very little substance. Which may be obvious but I dunno, you think they might actually try?

Have you ever read When gravity fails? I quite liked it, but I also liked Neuromancer, so maybe thats not saying much. Do you have any recommended reading?

what chloe?

Stop spaceposting.
Cred Forums post formatting is typing your post right under the post number with no space.
You, like all the other newfags who can't be bothered to assimilate by lurking are a menace to the site and I will not rest until you either assimilate or everyone knows you're a cunt.
This is the part where you think to yourself 'Gee everyone already knows i'm a cunt and user here already knows i'm a cunt for sure so maybe he'll stop'
Well you're wrong.
Gonna keep going until you hang yourself because I fucking hate people like you
You're honestly a tasteless pleb btw

That urban montage sequence tho

>I think it's gonna be super surface level action and imagery, very little substance.

it's based on SAC and not any of the oshii flicks so yeah, it'll be exactly as you think it'll be.

No

You

Faggot

so what the fuck happened to the major at the end? where the fuck does she go after she leaves batous place?

There is second movie, not as good, but a decent watch

My main gripe with GitS is that it just feels unfinished. It feels like the set-up first act of a complete story that it simply wasn't. I wasn't "satisfied" after watching it, if that makes sense. It felt like the pilot of a TV series that never got the network's stamp of approval.

Also, the sequel sucked. Muh CGI dolls.

she goes into a loli body and has some more adventures. watch innocence.

SAC may have gotten a little cop drama + character arc'ed, but that stuff was often more good then bad.

And they did get meaningful; just more about memetics and identity than anything else. The over bureaucratic dialogue dumps though, gun damn.

The Shockwave Rider by John Brunner, published in 1975, was pretty muchcyberpunk but the term wasn't invented yet. The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester (1956) has cyber implants and the world is run by multinational corporations. The protagonist talks to an AI in the end. The only unique thing that makes cyberpunk different from previous fiction is the name and mohawks and mirrorshades.

The term cyberpunk was coined to describe stories about high tech low-lifes. Cyber. Punk.

Guliver Foil from the stars my destination only qualifies as such for a very small section of the book.

I already did. but still where the fuck did she go? what did the ai did to her? did they fuse?