So who is to blame for the Young Adult Novel adaption film craze? Is it Harry Potter, Twilight or Hunger games?

So who is to blame for the Young Adult Novel adaption film craze? Is it Harry Potter, Twilight or Hunger games?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_adult_fiction
theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/2015/feb/24/why-are-so-many-adults-reading-ya-teen-fiction?0p19G=c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

People like you.

The masses of idiots who pay to go see them

The Jew

Harry Potter you fucktard

Twilight was literally a Harry Potter cash-in, all the way down to "the main character is the hot guy Voldemort killed in Harry Potter 4"

And The Hunger Games came out later than either of them

HP was the first one

Harry Potter, obviously. It was released about 5 years before the other two series.

No one series did, but demographics. PG-13 type flicks are the sweet spot to get the most butts in seats, so comic and YA novel adaptations are the most reliable sources for "new" releases.

how fucking hard is it to figure, just think which was both first and the most successful

It's pretty much agreed that Harry Potter was easily one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises, weekend tumblr. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

me

That pic is fucking absurd for so many reasons. You're right that Harry Potter is shit tier lit, but come on, Ulysses in mid tier? Notes From the Underground in low tier? Huck Finn and To Kill a Mockingbird in shit tier?

Harry Potter is for children. It's not YA.

>All that High School lit entry level shit in God Tier
>1984 in any tier besides shit tier

10/10 made me reply

Harry Potter was a kids movie at first, Twilight was the first real YA movie but Hunger Games is when they realky got big and the clones started appearing. Say what you want about Hp and Twilight but they were somewhat original. Maze runner, divergent, giver are all pretty much the same movie as Hunger games.

literally kill yourselves

>not liking
>seale
>pratt
>sesserin
>idziak
>delbonnel
>serra

>getting so defensive over fantasy

you have to go back

Maybe you could try to have some standards unlike one of the dullest shitposts in the history of movie shitposts. Each shitpost following /lit/ wizards and their pals from /r9k/ as they fight assorted kinographers has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the lack of film analysis the shitposts only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of images and pasta?all to make fantasy unfantastical to make witchcraft seem kiddie.

Perhaps the die was cast when Quentin vetoed the idea of shitposting on /lit/ directing the shitposts at Cred Forums, he made sure the shitposts would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-posting for his (You). The shitposts might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-atmospherical anaylsis in its refusal of critique and watching for the plot. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the shitposts are g-g-good though
"No!"

The writing is dreadful; the books were terrible and the films were much better. As I read, I noticed that everytime he shitposts, Quentin wrote instead that Brave New World "was a low tier form of art."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that shitpost was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. The shitposters mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that he has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of shitpost by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are shitposting at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you shitpost you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Twilight. Harry Potter was, despite how anyone denies it, a kids series. It lacked a lot of the elements of what makes YA novels. The MC was the "chosen one" but Harry actually gets shit on a lot. Mostly because it's a kid's series and Harry needs to learn that life beats you down, power of friendship, all that sweet crap. Twilight however was the first real YA franchise.
>MC is a special snowflake
>Center of attention, everyone loves him/her for nor reason whatsoever
>Plot literally revolves around the MC
>Brooding teenage angst
>Romantic plot boils down to "nobody understands our love"
Harry Potter is a kids series. A kids series that adults can (and obviously did) enjoy just as much, but a kids series. It teaches kids lessons, romance isn't a big deal (which some people bitched about for no reason. Did shippers really expect solid romance in a book that gets assigned in elementary schools?), there's brooding but in a way that is usually to advance the plot in some (even if it's stupid or generic) way. It doesn't largely deal with any "I'm 15 and the world revolves around me, nobody understands me, and I am so great but nobody sees it" teenage, young adult melodrama. Twilight was the first big YA franchise that had all that shit front and center. They are completely different types of franchises that led to different potential successors.

this this board is retarded

HP has some strong films, I really liked azkaban, half blood prince and deathly hallows, those are my top three in no order

Harry Potter was a fucking kids series you pedofaggots.

The Giver was written in 1993, before Hunger Games even existed. Unless you just mean the movie

>pratt
Mm tasty

>pegofaggot
was unironically being a faggot part of your plan

the cinematographer, he did brazil etc

well it's twilight since harry potter isn't young adult. but i don't think twilight would have existed without harry potter. so it's harry potter.

Where's The Giver and Flowers for Algernon

Oh cool okay, he is Gilliam's guy. Neat that he did two of the Potters.

yea i never realized it (funny too how rowling originally wanted gilliam to direct) and I think its pretty neat the guy they picked for ootp did three colors blue..also john seale came out of retirement to do mad max fury road, he did philosophers stone.

i enjoyed delbonells work, the french gothic look added to the atmosphere in hbp and blended perfectly

You are genuinely the biggest faggot in the world

It started out as a kids movie series and got darker, moving into young adult territory as they got older, so as to let the audience grow up with them. It's both kids and young adults. No amount of you complaining about story elements changes who the target audience is, and if you think HP wasn't aimed at 12-18 year olds, you're just a fucking retard. You're wrong, stop posting.

Kys nothing comes close to potter so stop crying over nothing

?

It was aimed at 10 year olds and maybe dumb mid teens. If you were reading HP over the age of 15 then shame on your parents for failing you.

Fangirl detected.

true

also this shit triggers everyone

>and maybe dumb mid teens

Then it's young adult, case closed. See how easy that was?

if you're talking about shit like the cancer girl novel #45 being a movie then twilight for sure

but that's retarded. i'm the same age as the actors in harry potter.

You do know The Giver was written in like 1986?

Newfags I swear...

Children of all ages* much like capeshit

Obviously, agreed

quit using hp as a scapegoat, until marvel finally had 20 films it was the highest grossing series. sure its easy to blame, but blame hollywood. lotr and hp are great fantasy, and there a huge power gap after them

But not all mid teens are dumb, it is important to make the distinction. HP are kids books that some dumb teens may read in their retard reading groups at school to feel like they're not morons. Si yes, you are correct in saying it is a kiddies series as well as a dumb mid teens series, but it is not a young adult or mid teens series.

>Si yes, you are correct in saying it is a kiddies series as well as a dumb mid teens series, but it is not a young adult or mid teens series.

"Some examples of young adult novels and novel series include the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling"

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_adult_fiction

Why did you keep arguing? Why didn't you think before you posted? Why do you do this to yourself?

I've got to look after my neighbours kids this evening, I downloaded all the kids movies I could think of:

Harry potter (all of them)
Star Wars (all)
Toy Story
Wall-E

Are there any more that are strictly children's flicks? Nothing for teens or adults please.

I know you're in here kid
> But I don't know what to do with those tossed salad and scrambled eggs...they're callin again
Why are you such scum?

the latter hps can be a little intense. i wouldnt recommend letting them watch if they arent 12 or 13

lord of the rings

>Wikipedia as a source

Ah, spotted the millennial. Judging by how defensive you're getting over a silly childrens series, I would assume you are indeed one if the members of said retard reading group?

That's really all I need to know lmao. Have the last message to help you sleep later dumb-dumb.

Holy fuck this is getting sad. You got blown the fuck out. Just take the loss.

>first Hunger Games movie comes out
>sister says we should go see it
>tell her YA movies are lame and I have no interest
>"I know, YA movies are pretty stupid but this one is barely like that, it's so good!"
>mfw after watching it
I genuinely respected her opinions on tv/movies before that too

LoTR
Dreamworks in general

Shut up dumb pleb

>people shit on harry potter b-because its c-cool
reddit doesnt appreciate them because their difference makes them uncomfortable, being a different medium, you act just like reddit

This

The Prisoner of Azkaban is a legitimately good movie

Why don't you stay there? Or better yet kill yourself
Your victim complex is one of the funniest things I've seen on this board though

>wikipedia
back to www.reddit.com

wow now this exemplifies why this board is garbage. SHIT TASTE

I heard that 'I kill giants' is getting the movie treatment next year
I'm feelin the hype

so are yates, books 5-7 sucked

Harry Potter is shit full of fucking plot holes. Do you want me to write a list of them?

This

Commit suicide you are pathetic

>one passable movie in a sea of shit
great find mate

t. cinematically bankrupt videogame player that doesn't understand classic propaganda films

Who cares? It's pretty much dead anyway.

Not him but no i dont want to hear you sperg about not understanding time travel dynamics of potter or even fully understanding that its all british self deprecation and batshit

If you watch YA movie adaptations, I'm pretty sure you're the one who is cinematically bankrupt.

jesus christ.......................................................kid

ITT its another harry potter ensues losers and autists to complain episode

>W-Wikipedia

Top Kek here have some more sources then

"It can potentially be argued that Harry Potter is the cause of YA’s popularity now"

"Never forgetting perhaps the most essential part of the secret appeal of YA books: their universal applicability... The Harry Potter series is one of the most obvious examples of this standard of writing."

theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/2015/feb/24/why-are-so-many-adults-reading-ya-teen-fiction?0p19G=c

I can do this until you admit you're wrong

Great opinion mate go back to watching whatever shitfest you enjoy, this board is a testament to that m8

>Brothers Karamazov
>Les Miserables
>Don Quixonte
>The Stranger
>Count of Monte Cristo
>High school lit
Okay, sure buddy. Fucking pseudo intellectual shithead probably never read any of them.
I'll give you Gatsby, but that doesn't make it bad, just easy to read. I haven't read Swan Song so that may be high school lit tier, but the rest, you might as well say fucking Ulysses is high school lit tier if you think Don Quixonte or Les Miserables is.

>being so contrarian I can smell the skid marks
if anything youre good for a laugh

the brothers karamazov is junior year HS tier, thats when I read it

Harry Potter 1 and 2 were kids movies. 3 and onward were YA shit.

Are you guys pretending to be retarded or do you honestly not understand words

the comedy in the hp movies besides most of goblet is perfectly fine, its all tongue in cheek and extremely british in nature

Are you Russian?

by all means, please list them all. I can correct everything you list. it will be fun.

no im american actually

AHAHAHAH
why would you admit that?
lolololol

I wouldnt bother with the idiots on this board but by all means

because you asked?

>Ironically shit posting because it is the highest you can possibly reach mentally

Hue

:^) you know it

but thats a different user, im the one you were talking to

the hurr durr american shitpost was my first post in the thread, broski, I dont even have an opinion

Please stop posting this anti-semitic Nazi symbol, it triggers me.

ok

can we go back to arguing about Harry Potter again pls

you mean when people cry about not liking something? yea I love that

I think you mean when people cry about people not liking the normie-core YA novels.

no I mean exactly people like you who are assmad when on Cred Forums where 90% of the things posted or more are fodder

>waah he doesn't like the things I like!!!

is it irony?

Not that guy but sure.
>Voldemort is not a threat
>Elder Wand doesn't give any benefits
>Harry parents should of been their own secret keepers
>Ron's brothers map should of picked up pettigrew
>Its bullshit that wizards have trouble feeding themselves even if a magic rule is not creating food
>Not being able to create food with magic period
I can go on. HP will never be as good as Star Wars of The Lord of the Rings.

Im not expert on the series but this is a prety bad list

>what do you mean by this? Hes pretty much Wizard hitler

>the elder wand lets the owner win any duel

>?

>If I remember correctly it did but the name was different

I dont understand what the last two have to do with the plot

wow someone is retarded.....star wars lmao this is hilarious

>voldemort is not a threat
the ministry is orwellian before voldemort even takes over, the ministry and wizards parallel british politics

Voldemort doesn't seem all that tough. What's to stop my dad and his hunting buddies from headshotting Voldemort 7 times in a row. The elder wand didnt seem to give Volde any new tricks or abilities. I didn't see his killing curse have new homing capabilities or spread shot or anything cool. Infact magic period is weak shit in Harry Potter.
Weak bait kid. Nobody cares about shitty britbong politics or its kid's books.

>bait
>calling someone else a kid when you cnt have a conversation
so you truly have zero ability to think, go watch star wars

>the guardian

Twilight. Harry Potter is a different beast than all the angsty, edgy, rebellious young adult movies aimed at pre teen girls. Twilight started that.

You can argue that all you want, you'd be wrong, but you're free to argue it all you want. Everyone raves about how dark and adult Harry Potter got and how that means it wasn't a children's series but seems to forget even Disney movies get just as "dark". Harry Potter wasn't darker than most of it's children series counterparts, it just played its shit a little more straight by not including singing. More so the fact that it wasn't a cartoon led people to pretend it was so super serious and mature. Tarzan, Lion King, Bambi, Little Mermaid, and tons of other blatantly children aimed series have dark elements and nobody would argue they are "adult territory". It doesn't mean they are aimed at a more adult audience. I swear it's like how /m/ is with Super Sentai. Just because some shit gets serious and can be enjoyed by an older audience doesn't mean it isn't a kids series.

This is true but you don't really connect to the entire brazilian oppressive nature of the ministry or the orwellian themes in deathly hallows if you are a little kid. Sure its a fantasy story but it has elements that are mature