Is the real problem with Marvel films just uninteresting heroes?

Is the real problem with Marvel films just uninteresting heroes?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt0848228/quotes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

compared to Superfixeverythingman?

fuck off

Compared to batman, x-men, watchmen and hulk mainly. and, yes, even superman is easily more interesting than any Marvel hero.

Nah it's the villains Aside from Loki they all suck. The heroes are mostly pretty gangster.

The films. The tentpoles at least. Visually the Russos are really lacking to the point of absolute boredom. Their films look like commercials.

However, Gunn and Reed are actually capable and seem to deliver great looking films for ahem, smaller characters.

>Calling any capeshit interesting

No; the Marvel characters SHOULD be interesting movie material, and I'd argue that there have been moments and individual films in the MCU that actually met their potential (Iron Man 1 and Winter Soldier, specifically).

The problem arises when all the characters are turned into one character. That's really what most people are complaining about when they complain about "quips", even if they can't articulate it correctly. The default "house style" of the MCU dictates every single character has to be a snarky smug semi-asshole who's prone to stopping mid-battle to make a sarcastic comment. The issue there is obvious: if every character acts the same, then there's no more real character interaction since it sounds like an echo chamber, and therefore no drama because it all ends up feeling same-y.

Even when they introduce new characters now they're instantly turned into "stock MCU hero" with all the same character traits and anachronistic tendencies. Look at the Doctor Strange trailer: he's just Tony Stark, again, but with magic. It gets so fucking tedious and nothing ever feels like it develops or goes anywhere.

If the writers would work harder to better differentiate the distinct characters, and make them feel like fully separate individuals, it would make the whole thing feel much more alive and engaging.

But they don't really mean anything, they're just random superheroes. DC and X-Men are hamfisted as fuck but at least the heroes represent something or in the case of Batman have something that really separates them from other superheroes

ITT: Things Plebs Say

>nothing happens
>boring action
>dumb characters
>boring script
>bad cgi
>couldn't decide which storylines to follow
>predictable plot
>lackluster acting
>no emotions
>forgettable premise
>lazy plot devices
>stolen ideas
>overstuffed plot
>dumb audience
>confusing editing
>laughed at how terrible the music was
>sound effects were cheap
>scenes were fake looking
>shower was broken at theater.
>10/10 would meme again

Hulk is in the marvel universe
Also hulk is fucking boring what are you talking about

>no one likes hulk/iron-man/thor/ant-man

Now i'll admit no one liked ant-man before this, but a lot of the target audience (people that watch cartoons) wanted to see these heros.

Also the Actors are good.

As for Black Widow we know you hate her because you only like cock, you can join the rest of the girls that like Thor, because you're obviously not a fanboi that like iron-man or spider-man or the new ant-man.

Hulk is barely in the Marvel films for some reason

But in Ang Lee's Hulk for example his power is only a burden which makes him much different to other "heroes" (and the backstory actually works as commentary and not just a plot necessity)

which hulk

Are you referring to literary themes, because that's all marvel characters are. Some babby theme given flesh.

>Hulking
>(She) Hulk
>Thunderbolt/Red Hulk
>Amadeus Chulk

wtf I hate gamma rays now

I barely see any outside of captain america

No, the real problem with Marvel films is that they make too much money and audiences respond to well to them; which is somehow seem as a weakness to retards such as yourselves.

Well that, and the villians suck.

They just serve their purpose which is to make cash but are forgettable.

>No, the real problem with Marvel films is that they make too much money and audiences respond to well to them; which is somehow seem as a weakness to retards such as yourselves.
Referring to anything specific or just strawmanning?

Forgettable to who? Not the legions of fans who can quote them endlessly and consider them some of the most re-watchable movies in the genre.

>who can quote them endlessly

Name some of these famous quotes pls

fuck off dcuck

Don't be stupid, one of the most lauded criticisms of Marvel on this board is all the quips and repeated lines throughout the movies.

I'm not a particularly big fan of the two DCU movies I've seen

That doesn't mean people remember them. Something can be obvious/expected and still forgettable. In fact, quips and one-liners are actually a great example of that

>Don't be stupid

I'm genuinely asking. All I really recall w/ any legs is "We have a Hulk" or "Puny God." For all the quips, i'm not sure they're memorable or iconic.

>That doesn't mean people remember them.

You get a room full of normies together, and they can pull out at least twenty quotes from the Avengers. Do you speak to people?

Why are you being so rude and defensive man?

Also have yet to list any quotes, hmm

>every single character has to be a snarky smug semi-asshole who's prone to stopping mid-battle to make a sarcastic comment.

This is factually untrue, though. Joss Whedon is the only one that makes the main characters excessively sarcastic, and even then he manages to differentiate their voices a bit.

Tony Stark is an autistic douche with daddy issues and a drinking problem.

Rodgers is the product of a WWII experiment.

Black Widow is an assassin with trust issues.

Falcon is a dick who pretends to be badass.

Hawkeye is mostly useless but fights because he has a family.

Vision is a fucking robot AI with an Infinity Gem.

Bruce Banner is a scientist who got zapped by gamma rays that turns him into a monster when he stubs his toe.

etc. They're all pretty interesting individually.

>Ant Man is a cucked ex-thief looking for redemption.

The heroes are not the problem, it's the villains.

>Why are you being so rude and defensive man?

This is Cred Forums, I am behaving in a manner appropropriate for the boards. I'm not sure what film subreddit you crawled out of, but I am under no obligation to treat you with respect during this discussion about children's movies.

>Also have yet to list any quotes, hmm

Just pull any of the jokes off of the IMDB quotes page. I honestly do not see what point you're trying to drive at here.

Damn bro you're tanking.

>I'm being a dick bc Cred Forums, I'm not defensive! Also I can't backup my point 8 posts later!

Poor showing today, really.

You can keep repeating yourself, but you still haven't said but one quote. Projecting isn't helping your case either

I'll give you Hulk and Captain America. The rest are just OK. Random people with powers and vague backstories but with no conceptual or thematic backbone to them. Honestly I'd rather have "le Superman is Jesus" or "X-men represent minorities" shouted at me for two hours than go into the "dick who pretends to be badass" or "autistic douche with daddy issues and a drinking problem." The creators seem to feel the same way

You're the one claiming Marvel movies have many memorable lines so the burden lies with you to prove us wrong.

How haven't I backed my point?

>You can keep repeating yourself, but you still haven't said but one quote. Projecting isn't helping your case either

Because I don't see what the point of providing a quote is. I already told you the lines I'm referring to from the film.

"That man is playing Galaga!" is a line from the film. Now what possible use does pointing that out have for the discussion? There are dozens of lines like it, and they are instantly recognizable to casual audiences.

>Because I don't see what the point of providing a quote is.

Just abort this thread in shame dude

>and they are instantly recognizable to casual audiences.
If you say so pal. It's a nice argument because I can't respond to it without you claiming I don't talk to people, despite the fact there isn't a single person I know who could tell me what "That man is playing Galaga!" is from or who said it, myself included

No, that's retarded.

Me posting random lines from the movie wouldn't proof that they are memorable one way or the other. I would just be posting random lines from the movie. What determines whether or not something is memorable depends on the individual person watching the film.

And I also didn't claim that Marvel movies have many memorable lines to me, I said they do to normies. Try to keep up, idiot.

>That man is playing Galaga!

*crickets*

That's not an answer.

>It's a nice argument because I can't respond to it without you claiming I don't talk to people

You can claim whatever you want.

I'm just pointing out a fact. Normies consider the movies quotable and memorable. The idea that they aren't is a minority opinion held mostly by contrarians with no actual merit behind the sentiment.

I'm not trying to win an argument here, what you think couldn't matter less to me. I'm just offering a fact.

>Me posting random lines from the movie wouldn't proof that they are memorable one way or the other. I would just be posting random lines from the movie. What determines whether or not something is memorable depends on the individual person watching the film.
So you admit it's not possible to prove that something is memorable to anyone other than yourself, and yet you still argue that these lines are memorable to people other than yourself? Masses of people, at that

>What determines whether or not something is memorable depends on the individual person

No, it doesnt. It depends on its impact on the lexicon and popular culture.

And then another insult.

Thanks for proving my point.

>I'm just pointing out a fact.
Facts are provable, moron. Your only evidence so far is both anecdotal and hypothetical (i.e. non-existent)

>Thanks for proving my point.

What did he mean by this?

>So you admit it's not possible to prove that something is memorable to anyone other than yourself

No, I admit that posting individual lines from the movie would not prove that they are memorable to you. The fact that they are memorable at all is easily provable. You would have to leave your house in order to do so though.

My facts are provable. It's not my fault crippling social anxiety prevents you from talking to people.

This.
>watch Cap 1 & 2
>Steve is always serious and focused on the mission, with few exceptional one-liners that capture the essence of the character

>watch AoU & Cap 3
>Cap is a quipping machine

>You would have to leave your house
>It's not my fault crippling social anxiety prevents you from talking to people.

Right, right. Any examples yet?

No it's the TV show aesthetic, quips etc. etc.

The only redeeming part is that laughing gif, you can tell he plays everything sarcastically

Any examples of what, shut-in?

>quips

Agreed, jokes and levity are bad. I prefer my brightly-colored men in spandex to take everything they are doing on screen very, very seriously.

Even if Marvel has "memorable" lines that's nothing. Their villians are complete shit.

>inb4 Loki

Please he got turned into a fucking Tumblr baiting villian.

They do, just because a line was not memorable to you does not make it unmemorable to somebody else.

Ah, so you are going to do exactly what I said. We may as well just end the argument there because we both know you've lost.

I've literally been dragged to see the Avengers with friends who would not be able to tell me who said the line you posted.

That's besides the point, though. The Avengers was seen by millions of people. Neither you nor I (nor anyone for that matter) has spoken to enough people individually about these films to get an idea for how popular certain quotes may be across the entire audience. Try again.

It's too much, I've only seen the Avengers but it was literally like a Gilmore Girls episode on steroids

>Ah, so you are going to do exactly what I said. We may as well just end the argument there because we both know you've lost.

I've lost nothing. If you want to turn tail and run, that's fine with me. But don't try to pass your intellectual cowardice off as a victory.

>I've literally been dragged to see the Avengers with friends who would not be able to tell me who said the line you posted.

No one "drags" you anywhere. You're not popular. You're not likable. No one cares about your existence.

The amount of jokes in the Avengers movies are unique to the series though. There's not a lot of quips in The Winter Soldier or Thor. Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man are funny movies, but different from the way The Avengers films are written.

Still projecting are we? And ignoring the entirely anecdotal nature of what you've suggested would pass as evidence?

Iron Monger, Abomination, Loki, Red Skull, Alexander Pierce and Zemo were all solid. I'm partial to Yellowjacket, too, but I acknowledge he was thinly-written.

Their villains don't often stand out, but they're functional and they compensate by having charismatic heroes.

My anecdotal evidence is easily verifiable, I've given you the means to find out for yourself.

I mean, what else do you want? We're talking about what your average person finds memorable. There's no way to quantify that other than anecdotal evidence.

I don't think Abomination counts.

I think the best MCU villians are Loki, Zemo, Wilson Fisk, and Zebediah Kilgrave. The rest really are forgettable.

Not that an user, but i've got a great idea. Now bear with me. What if you post some examples of memorable quotes? Just a few. That should settle this whole thing. Shouldnt be a problem, so go 'head.

Marvel films have uninteresting villains. This shit has been going for almost 10 years now and their only good antagonist has been Loki.

Oh okay sure.

imdb.com/title/tt0848228/quotes

It is verifiable as anecdotal evidence. If I were to talk to five random friends about the movie right now, and even if by some magic all of them had seen the movie and remembered that one quote, that evidence would still be anecdotal.

>There's no way to quantify that other than anecdotal evidence.
There is, actually. The internet makes it very convenient. Any hugely popular quote would be around somewhere as a YouTube clip and you would be able to compare its views to that of another popular quote from another movie. The numbers would be much more useful than what you are suggesting.

>If it's all the same to you, I'll have that drink now.

I can't tell you how often me and my friends use this line. There's a lot of em too, my friends I mean, and they just can't stop repeating this one. I'm like, guys you're gonna wear it out lol.

Actually, even this link you posted provides much better means of seeing a quote's popularity

Compare the number of people who have "found quotes interesting" from the Avengers to other movies. There you go, a nice way to get your evidence (good luck with that) without relying on anecdotes or projection. I'll wait

I think you're being willfully ignorant.

Tony Stark represents american war profiteering and can only deal with it by drinking himself retarded and pretending to be a hero.

You forgot the gay one

So I avoided all Marvel movies because they looked bad to me and I decided to watch Iron Man since it was on Netflix and had one of the highest ratings.

I found it to be bland. I would give it 6/10.

The cinematography is completely unremarkable. Like you would find it hard to make a cinegrid out of it. Burton's Batman was a good watch just for the cinematography and set design.

There is no tension because the main hero is a supergenius who can build highly advanced technology on his own in a matter of days. In most movies you know the hero will win but you want to see how. Here I didn't really care because I knew he would just pull something out of his ass. I didn't have a clear concept of the capabilities of the suit or villain so the battles were just boring action. In Batman you knew that Bane was super strong and you knew which gadgets Batman had. He didn't just pull some gadget out of his ass to defeat Bane, instead he got his ass kicked.

I assume the other Marvel movies are even worse because there the heroes have magic powers.

That's Hulkling though.

>Red (She) Hulk

Damn, I felt like I just watched all the MCU flicks.

the problem with Marvel films is that they're capeshit and capeshit is made for children

>made for children
>problem
movies made for children can be good, pleb. that's what we in the business call "not an argument"

except capeshit isn't good because it appeals to the sensibilities of children so it's mindless and boring to anyone with remotely complex thoughts/emotions
>inb4 just turn your brain off have fun bro
if you really thought this you wouldn't be making actual serious posts about it on an anime image board

They're for children

The best Marvel Movies were "Winter Soldier" and "Civil War", because they at least tried something more than the generic Marvel Formula. I mean, Winter Soldier transformed fucking Captain America from a boring "USA! USA!" Hillbilly Guy to a great Protagonist and most of the Scenes in Civil War and Winter Soldier are pretty hard for PG 13 (Winter Soldier Soldier is everything besides a Children Movie).

But the Problem is: the REALLY interesting Characters from the Marvel Universe are not fit for a PG13 Rating. It's almost impossible to make a PG13 Punisher, so Marvel took his most interesting Characters to Netflix and his boring ones, but who can reach a bigger Audience, in the Cinema.

PS: Because everyone criticize that on every Cred Forums board I am - sorry for my writing, I'm German.

This.
Netflix has all the good ones.
I cant imaigne how the MCU would have made a Daredevil movie without turning it into a quipfest.

There is no 'real problem' with marvel films. They succeed in every possible metric, other than appealing the autist contrarians on Cred Forums (which is usually regarded as a further sign of success)

the problem is there are no super heros when everyone's a super hero

watching the winter soldier was like watching a cumshot compilation for 2 hours.

The real problem with Marvel films is that they're fucking garbage.

But Tony Stark is one of the most interesting heroes in capeshit.

His attempts to do the right thing, fueled by his guilty complex and PTSD, as well as hiding his low self-esteem and borderline self-loathing behind the persona of a witty and cocky badass, is pure kino. As is his eventual descent into borderline suicidal depression as his attempts to be a hero either blow up in his face or lead to his friends, superiors, and the people he saves treating him like shit regardless of what he does.

The best and most tragic part is that a lot of issues in the MCU really could have been solved if he had some good, genuine friends besides War Machine. Instead his girlfriend throws him out of his own room when he has a PTSD attack in his sleep and eventually leaves him even after he saves her life, his 'best friend' Banner literally falls asleep when he tries to confide in him, Captain America yells at him and calls him a spoiled little asshole repeatedly, Hawkeye does the same (even though Tony only brought him in because otherwise a black ops team would've shot everyone) and blames him for getting War Machine crippled, his mentor and friend from Afghanistan dies to save him, his business partner and surrogate father figure in the first movie tries to murder him, etc. Black Widow seems to be the only one who even cares enough to ask if he's okay. So he goes insane and tries to create a robot army to protect the world, then tries to atone when that robot army goes out of control and murders people, and then finally flies just snaps at the conclusion of Civil War.

If he still doesn't have any friends by Infinity War, he'll probably face palm with a repulsor by the end of it.

You mean civil war?

their cinematography is equal to that of a tv show

>complain when Superman is a happy boyscout who can save everyone
>complain when he isn't