Since the Criterion collection is leaving Hulu sometime this fall, what are some of the best movies available on it?

Since the Criterion collection is leaving Hulu sometime this fall, what are some of the best movies available on it?
I'm trying to watch Solaris but it's pretty rough. I just got done watching the scene where they show a lot of shots of some shitty 1970s Japanese city while the sounds of hell play in the background, really not sure what the purpose of it was. Still have like over 2 hours to go, does it get better?

It does get better, but it's Tarkovsky's weakest work, he even said so himself. Still pretty great and has fantastic moments.

Alright, I'll give it a second try.

>watching movies in multiple sittings

It's almost three hours long.

Solaris starts off pretty rough but it gets interesting if you give it a chance. As far as other criterion movies go, Kurosawa and Bergman films are pretty easy to get into. Check out The Seven Samurai and The Seventh Seal if you get a chance.

Also, you should really listen to the other guy. Solaris in particular is a little slow largely because it's trying to develop an atmosphere, and watching it over more than one sitting will make it hard for the atmosphere to sink in.

lol and? piss beforehand. multiple sittings destroys pacing and atmosphere. three hours isn't even that long for a movie.

I'm a pleb but loved Solaris. Tried Stalker and it did nothing for me.

Watch it from the beginning, all through, without stopping.

Other way around for me. Liked Stalker much more than Solaris. Stalker was a 10/10, while Solaris was an 8.

Hate to say it user but this, you think it's more boring than it is because you're watching it badly.

Imagine eating a meal one bite every hour over the course of a 24 day. You wouldn't even really be able to call it a meal as such.

It's a weirdly paced movie. Parts are really brilliant and interesting, some incredible visuals. But other parts are so fucking dull and stretch on too long, making it painful to sit through.

Check out World on a Wire if it's on there.

Alright fine, I'll start over.

The Seven Samurai and The Seventh Seal are on my watch list. Also thinking of watching The House, The Brood, and Man Bites Dog.
Gonna be a pretty big blow to Hulu with all these movies gone, there are a ton of them on here.

Just get FilmStruck when it comes out. They'll all be on there and it will likely be better than Hulu.

I will if it gets a PS4 app.

Yeah, it's on there. A two parter even, how fancy.
Also added Stagecoach, The Most Dangerous Game, and Cronos. The Machine that Kills Bad People and The Cars that Ate Paris look interesting, not sure if I'll be able to watch them. Already plan on watching more movies than usual to try and get through this lot.
I wish Criterion blurays weren't so expensive.

>I wish Criterion blurays weren't so expensive.
i feel you bro

My nigga

>I'll start over.
trolled

i wish i watched movies for free by torrenting them instead of being a cuckold who pays $30 a disc

It doesn't get better. It's unnecessarily complicated, and the themes have been portrayed in other movies before, so there's nothing innovative about it. Tarkovsky just makes movies to watch them alone on his winter cabin and furiously masturbate to the thought of other people not understanding them.

tldr: the greatest example of why Tarkovsky is a hack

>The fact that so many critics and newspapers still call the tree of life on of the best moving pictures ever made tells you how ...

>Why doesn't this movie have a simple cliche' plot that any 8 year old on earth can understand. I hate thinking!

correction, not complicated, but just makes it strenuously long and boring on purpose. Tark may say that some of his takes are not meant have a meaning, and that that's the reason why they're so uneventful, but every other filmmaker knows he just puts them in his films to fuck with people

well, the plot is actually not that complicated, see correction on the thing that bothers me about Solaris is how most of the film's scenes could be easily taken away and contribute nothing to the plot. Of course, except if tark put them in with the purpose of making the viewer feel as exasperated and vacant as the main character.

Personally I don't try so hard to figure out what the plot is in arthouse films, I don't enjoy something less if I don't understand it, they're more of a visual experience then a story driven narrative.

But Solaris had a lot of flaws though so I see what you're saying. The Mirror is his best film imo.

Hey

Branded to Kill
Badlands
Being John Malkovich
Man Bites Dog
Videodrome
Breathless

Watch these

>Parts are really brilliant
indeed they have a Cuck Club several years before BLACKED!!

what a pleb

Unfortunately no Badlands, Being John Malkovich, or Videodrome.

What can I say, I like buying movies.

What a handsome Patrician lad desu

kys

senpai try these
>400 blows
>12 angry men
really enjoyable and haven't aged at all

Do we know when they're taking them off? My ass has gotta watch like a art house film a day

Sometime this fall. So it could be tomorrow or it could be in November, who knows?