Do you think that since physical forms of media like dvds, blu rays, etc...

Do you think that since physical forms of media like dvds, blu rays, etc, are pretty much obsolete that movie companies would make more money if they put their films in things people might actually want?

They could put a movie with extras on microsd, place it in a limited edition figurine or replica and sell it for 20-35 dollars. People are more likely to by dumb shit they can put on their desk than a plastic frisbee that costs 20x its actual value.

Why haven't they tried this?

Other urls found in this thread:

myfigurecollection.net/item/166955
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nope, everything will just be VOD.

I can tell this is going to be a great thread by that image, OP

I bet that figurine costs something like $500 right?
wtf do all the good ones have to be so ridiculously expensive?

Hey, at least i didn't choose one of the extremely girly barbie-esque figurines all the weirdos collect

>microsd
>not just making a figurine with near field chip that grants owner access to the relevant content

Detail, size, and materials used are usually the reasons why some are more expensive.

some also have pretty detailed painting

Because this would only interest the same market that already buys overpriced limited editions. There is no reason to change that sort of product. It will never be interesting for the general market, it will always be a niche thing. Very few people "want" these things. More and more people have a hard time paying for any form of media, they don't "want" that, they just want the movie on their computer or phone and don't give a shit about anything else.

No
They already bundle little knick-knacks with "collector's editions" of movies and TV shows for those who want dumb shit.

myfigurecollection.net/item/166955
8000 yen, so you're not even close
Those are the best ones, pic related.

If you did that you would be fucked when the internet was down. Also, a microsd would allow a purchaser to transfer the movie to a computer.

Also, it's made by Brave Act so don't even bother. If you want a good Levi go for Good Smile's 1/8

i'm instantly regretting using a anime figurine as the pic

21st century, everyone wants to stream, no one wants to own.

in the near future my children will be able to 3D print toys with pirated schematics

But that's my point. Most people don't want physical anymore. The only people that will eventually want a physical copy is collectors and people who want to throw their money around.

That's not the way it's going to work out. I'm not even accusing you of being a weeb but the average person just doesn't fucking give a shit about things like that. The sooner normies can press a button to put a movie on just to fucking talk over it the better for them.

Then why go for the worst format in history?
>no dedicated port on any computer ever
>requires converter
>fragile support
>so damn small you can't even "just be careful" when manipulating the card
microSD is the shittiest format there has ever been

Cool figurine. I want one of Armin being the new Colossal titan now that he ate Bert and took his powers.

Fuckin this. A pleb will just put on the hot thing with their dudebros and air headed sluts, none of them care about watching it and they sure as shit don't care to ever review it once it's over.

The way I thought of it is that the sd would be connected to a port at the base of the figurine

i wanna fuck that frenchman

Imagine I work at a tool store and drill sales are sagging while lawnmowers are surging. The obviously solution is not to bundle drills with lawnmowers.

The film industry wants most people to think like this guy:
So they can get you to eternally rent something you already own, they want to phase out physical media for good and make you pay for a service. This is also true for video games and music.

Fuck that, a bluray will almost always look better than a stream

This guy understands exactly what it's about now.

Nippon figures aren't expensive.

So you plug the figuring in your computer if you want to watch the movie.
Two possibilities then I suppose
>SD is part of the figurine
>you can't watch the movie if you have a desktop comuter and not a laptop
>you can ONLY watch from a laptop infact
>if the figurine takes some dust, so does the SD chip

>SD has its own slot on the base of the figurine and you take it out of it to watch the movie than put it back in its place
>grab the figurine
>microSD card falls
>movie I hardly knew ye
are you starting to see why it's not as good an idea as you thought?
At one point, making storage smaller and smaller becomes unpractical for the common user because not everybody knosw how to handle something the size of an electronic chip

Yeah, I know, that's what scares me

Every media company is turning into EA

Pay us each month, then pay us for extra content, then pay us for having a movie on your device, then pay us to go see a new movie, then pay us for the gold version of your monthly subscription, then pay us for early release content, then pay us for special editions, then pay us, then pay us, then pay us

>50 bucks isn't expensive
It really is for a movie, that's why nobody is buying them anymore.

It's like the CD boom all over again except this time it won't come to a stagnation point.

It's fine for phones, etc where the very reason of scaling down SDXC was to fit it in a small device and not take it in and out all the time.

I already stated you would be able to transfer the movie onto a computer. If you wanted to take out your special figurine ever time you wanted to watch the movie you could, but I just want the figurine to be the physical thing that the movie comes in. Not the actual format for watching movies. You'd be swimming in figurines trying to find the right one to watch a movie.

I'm pretty sure I typed 'figure' not 'movie'.

Exactly, it fits a purpose and you're trying to apply it to another purpose it would not serve well.
They tried selling music on SD and microSD cards at one point, and the fact that you may not even be aware of it should be enough to tell you about how well it went.

We're talking about selling the movie along the figure, that's the first point of this thread, isn't it?
or am I actually retarded?

>I already stated you would be able to transfer the movie onto a computer
You can already do that with DVD. And nobody does that because again, the average viewer wants to see the movie immediatly, not wait one hour for the extraction to the computer to end then watch the whole thing.

The post I replied to didn't mention any movie, or any daydream movie-figure. You were being a bit retarded.

>swimming in figurines

...and there's the problem why would normies want some plastic figure that now serves no purpose after transferring the movie? It makes no business sense at all to take a perfectly serviceable product and gut it to make it niche appeal.

99.9% of these would go in a box in the garage and never come out again.

no, you're right

The better idea would be to have the sd card in the figurine, and have a usb port that can be covered when not in use.

I don't remember that. I do remember preloaded mp3 players or sticks... Which was only slightly less retarded.

rly made me think

I don't think so. Some movies aren't easy to download illegally or stream legally. At home taping is still necessary.

It isn't for "normies"

The whole point is that physical is dying, which means the only people you would be selling these to would be people that actually wanted to collect something from a movie.

You're not seeing beyond the fact that physical formats are dying. That doesn't mean a niche consumer group wouldn't want it.

There were a couple attempts (as well as some retards, which IIRC included Sony trying to shove proprietary formats) but none of it worked. At one point you also hit another wall which is how far you can go until the customer feels like he is not buying anything interesting. If yo uwant to keep selling some form of physical medium, you have to make it sort of interesting or compelling otherwise there won't be any reason to not just buy the files from itunes or something like that.
But that's the thing, the physical supports are creating their own niche and blending it so radically would make it lose interest. if you take the example of music, the niche that buys vinyl records will not be interested in a figurine of Jack White or Michael Gira, or any other form of collectible. The same thing is happening with movies in a way, you have people who like DVD and Bluray and things like that for what they are. If you change the product, you will lose that market.

Still never happen, even in your niche group 60% of people aren't going to display all the figures and there comes a time when a box of shit just becomes of box of shit with no resale value.

I collect Pops! so I get the whole figure thing but I think the interest crossover for your idea is a lot less than you think.