Shilling movies and Astroturf

Give me all your conspiracy theories, is it true that the whole Chloe Mortez fad of the last few years was started by an astroturf campaign?

What about the whole racist controversy about The Force Awakens was actually outsourced to some PR company that can never be linked back to Disney

What about this whole Max Landis thing?

How much of this is genuine outrage or obsession and how much of it is people who aren't doing it for free?

I want to know everything about shilling movies, I want the truth damnit!

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/technology/2011/mar/17/us-spy-operation-social-networks
tgdaily.com/security-features/54733-us-military-says-metal-gear-sock-puppets-are-real
theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/feb/08/what-is-astroturfing
theguardian.com/environment/georgemonbiot/2011/feb/23/need-to-protect-internet-from-astroturfing
presstv.ir/detail/2014/04/19/359181/ukraine-jew-registration-hoax-traced/
bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15869683
yro.slashdot.org/story/14/02/25/0359246/nsa-and-ghcq-employing-shills-to-poison-web-forum-discourse
investmentwatchblog.com/reddit-censors-story-about-government-manipulation-and-disruption-of-the-internet/
middleeastmonitor.com/articles/inquiry/19781-israeli-spy-admits-we-encouraged-anti-semitic-conspiracy-theories
techdirt.com/articles/20140224/17054826340/new-snowden-doc-reveals-how-gchqnsa-use-internet-to-manipulate-deceive-destroy-reputations.shtml
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/71885399/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What about this whole Max Landis thing?
That was just Max Landis.

It does exist in places like Reddit where there's more mainstream media, but why do you think anybody would resort to Cred Forums to shill? You level 99 wizards don't even leave your houses.

I feel like there's/was a halt and catch fire shill, am I being paranoid

>astroturfing
this is why we need shitposting the most

when civil war came out, 2 things seemed odd. Young aunt may and lack luster spiderman. It was so over played on the board, but the movie panned it. it's like when you've got some obvious flaw, and to avoid being bullied, you make fun of it first.

>That was just Max Landis.
Hahahahaha!
The mental image of him sitting on his laptop pushing his hipster fringe out of his face as he angrily responds to some minor slur against him made my day

That's what makes it so vexxing.
Maybe they count on them blowing all their money buying DVDs of their wizardly obsession.

Maybe these are the people who maintain those autistic level wikias?

Hiro sold out to studios

what about ghostbusters

Interesting theory

That's an interesting and almost too obvious one.
Considering how inept Sony is, I wouldn't put it past them that the whole controversy was manufactured and then just backfired horribly.

On the other hand, it just seems too stupid to be true.

Ribbit mods confirmed r movies, pics, and video have shills

Cred Forums has it over here

Sony was literally charged with that before...

You mean the fake reviewer guy like 10 years ago, the fictional journalist who would even give Adam Sandler films 5 stars?

Or are there other Sony Shill Scandals I'm unaware of?

nobody gives a shit about chloe

The Corey Feldman threads here recently are shill threads no one gives two fucks about.

If there were actually shills here one of them would have spilled the beans by now. Even if only by accident.

no no, that's the one, you just get the rumour started now of sexism, and it becomes viral.

Check out Harlem Shake started. It was a corporate ploy. Corporations know what they're doing with YouTube since then.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the top plebbits have been bought off

Then why did there use to be a Chloe thread every fucking day over on Cred Forums?

I believe this

Apparently there have been. But of course anyone can just say "Yo, I'm a shill"
And I suppose it's different on Cred Forums to Cred Forums to Cred Forums

Yep I see your logic there.

Kindling to start a bonfire of publicity.

Test

buzzfeed writers shill here.

Cred Forumstard here.

For anyone who wants to do a little reading before making an opinion, here's some information.

Revealed: US spy operation that manipulates social media
theguardian.com/technology/2011/mar/17/us-spy-operation-social-networks
tgdaily.com/security-features/54733-us-military-says-metal-gear-sock-puppets-are-real

The guardian Astroturfing
theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/feb/08/what-is-astroturfing

theguardian.com/environment/georgemonbiot/2011/feb/23/need-to-protect-internet-from-astroturfing

Anti Semitic Hoax in Ukraine traced (to the ADL)
presstv.ir/detail/2014/04/19/359181/ukraine-jew-registration-hoax-traced/

BBC article on shills
bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15869683

NSA and GHCQ Employing Shills To Poison Web Forum Discourse
yro.slashdot.org/story/14/02/25/0359246/nsa-and-ghcq-employing-shills-to-poison-web-forum-discourse

Reddit Censored
investmentwatchblog.com/reddit-censors-story-about-government-manipulation-and-disruption-of-the-internet/

Israeli Spy: “We encouraged anti-semitic conspiracy theories”
middleeastmonitor.com/articles/inquiry/19781-israeli-spy-admits-we-encouraged-anti-semitic-conspiracy-theories

New Snowden Doc Reveals How GCHQ/NSA Use The Internet To 'Manipulate, Deceive And Destroy Reputations'
techdirt.com/articles/20140224/17054826340/new-snowden-doc-reveals-how-gchqnsa-use-internet-to-manipulate-deceive-destroy-reputations.shtml

Disney and WB shill here

Think about it
>batman vs superman and sw7 both got spoiler stickies
>before each movie came out things were being spoiled left and right for other movies
>during the release things for other movies were being spoiled left and right
>after the movies came out spoilers things for other movies were being spoiled left and right

The only time spoilers were deleted for other movies was if you called them out on this

Then there are the "channel awesome" shills. I can't find the archive link but its some otherkin shit chick.

Then there is also "clickbait" writers here (picture related)

Game of Thrones spoilers also put this board on the map for HBO so I don't doubt they're here too

>why do you think anybody would resort to Cred Forums to shill?

Most of the shilling on Cred Forums is here to keep Cred Forums, and those who may sympathize with their political goals, distracted and stupid.

At some point, the white working class of the first world is going to realize we have common interests that aren't being upheld by our societies, governments, or the floods of immigrants being shipped in. When that starts happening, they want places like Cred Forums to be nice and dumb, nice and distracted with retarded bullshit. It takes work to keep Cred Forums as bad as it is. We wouldn't be quite THAT dumb on our own.

ITT: paranoid schizophrenics

>Then why did there use to be a Chloe thread every fucking day over on Cred Forums?

It's not just that. There's threads on Cred Forums, /r9k/, and Cred Forums that are pretty clearly coming from the same group of people, and are being forced in a systematic way. They come out of nowhere with the same kind of off board images, the same kind of pasta, and they stay there for a long time. There is no way one person posts all of that stuff for months, every day, just for some individual joke. It's gotta be some kind of social engineering or psyop test

>Then there are the "channel awesome" shills. I can't find the archive link but its some otherkin shit chick.

found it :^)

archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/71885399/

cracked.com, efukt.com, and anita skarenian (or whatever her name is) shill on Cred Forums and its been quite lucrative for them.

though the idea that specific media groups are built specifically around shilling is silly. Its just the interns at the talent agency.

If anything, it's the opposite. They're creating the alt-right Cred Forums culture and pushing stories to trigger and mold your opinions into this retarded white supremacy sentiment.

If you can objectively think about it without blatantly shitposting because your mind is already poisoned, give it some thought. The alt-right is a perfect counter-weight to the SJWs, another invention of theirs. Cred Forums and the SJWs are incredibly predictable. They know exactly how you will react, what will make you react this way, and that your never-ending battle with political correctness will prove a perfect distraction from real issues.

You guys have played right into their fucking hands (if you want to acknowledge that groups like this actually exist).

>though the idea that specific media groups are built specifically around shilling

That exact thing already been going on for years, and not only that, but there is visible evidence of it. See

>They're creating the alt-right Cred Forums culture and pushing stories to trigger and mold your opinions into this retarded white supremacy sentiment.

This is precisely what I'm suggesting is taking place.

Yes, the Leslie Jones 'racism' controversy on Twitter was partially or wholly manufactured.
There are probably thousands of sockpuppet Twitter accounts being kept alive by Pajeets ready to be banned for racism/sexism as the need arises.
Pic very much related.

and I don't buy that at all. Why would a conglomerate hire a third party with whom they have limited transparency when they can just put some interns in a closest with a few laptops and do the same thing?

Fuck, I've got a lot of reading

That's exactly what a shill would say isn't it?

That sounds downright orwellian

You reckon that's how Anita got her first big swell of publicity?

I think it's both there are people that pathetic with that much time on their hands, and shills like your pic related.

But that's one hell of a smoking gun there.

KEK at that pic.

That's exactly how anita got her first swell of publicity. She, herself, got Cred Forums pointed at her, and used Cred Forums's attention to curry sympathy.

>put some interns in a closest with a few laptops and do the same thing?
They're doing something bigger than that, though

#BoycottStarWarsVII
2 random accounts and then it was picked up by bots
both Cred Forums and Cred Forums didn't do it and asked if we did

So I guess the people running The Guardian and the BBC are all paranoid schizophrenics .

At this point it's the people who just flat out deny the existence of shills (such as you) who are disconnected from reality.

>the Leslie Jones 'racism' controversy on Twitter was partially or wholly manufactured

#BoycottStarWarsVII

for what purpose?

You have no clue. It's all shills, all of it.

Because they want the job to be done competently? There's no point in shilling if you're going to give away the fact you're a shill because you're bad at it, that defeats the entire purpose of the exercise.

There was some site during the fappening run by the PR company that does shit for HeForShe claiming it was gonna leak Emma Watson nudes if she didn't stop talking about feminism or some shit just so she could use it to publicly boast in interviews how she wasn't going to back down.

nah, Orwellian would be rearranging the public school curriculum in such a way that is specifically designed to make people think there is only one answer to any problem, so as to prevent the next generations from creating any upstart geniuses that find new solutions to old problems that industries were built around.

This is the internet, dog. You don't need a large organization to do large things anymore.

... mang what is this, plug media shilling itself to shills from other companies?

To stir up the SJWs, radfems etc... Controversy is publicity.

It's just amusing that people like Feig publically denounce racism, sexism etc but are all too willing to use it when it suits them- as long as those awful 4chung hackers get the blame.

She's a Genius!

In fairness a lot of those articles are just talking about specific targeting of individuals whom are seemed dangerous and it takes on a political dimension.

This thread is more about movies and TV, and occums razor makes me wonder why studios and networks would got to all the effort of reverse-psychology viral marketing when they already have a vast army of publicists with connections to traditional media and bloggers, and also the money to simply buy advertising on whatever medium they want.

The only counterargument I can think of is it's to amplify their traditional campaigns.
Like if you introduce a racist or sexist element, it causes a moral duty with audiences to see a film. Guilting them.

I think that was just one willy guy un-associated with anything. I'm pretty sure Gawker tracked him down or something. Fascinating though that one man could game Cred Forums so hard you just have to imagine what organisations with resource like could do.

Put it this way. No one trust trailers anymore. No one trusts critics anymore. People trusted aggregates for about a minute, then they got flooded with bullshit reviews from bullshit sources. The only thing people trust is word of mouth. But you can't personally "word of mouth" to millions of people.

This is basically people fleeing marketing and marketing giving chase.

>whole Chloe Mortez fad
The whole fridge shooping and Pablo? I take part in that voluntarily.

>This thread is more about movies and TV, and occums razor makes me wonder why studios and networks would got to all the effort of reverse-psychology viral marketing when they already have a vast army of publicists with connections to traditional media and bloggers, and also the money to simply buy advertising on whatever medium they want.
People are far more willing to trust anonymous strangers on the internet who they assume are much like them then they are any advertising bullshit or endorsements from people in the media who they have nothing in common with. It's the same reason why some companies will write fake reviews for their products even though they have plenty of money for advertising, it's a completely different way of trying to influence people and probably a much more effective one too.

Also consider this point; adblock doesn't work on shills.

Hes talking about the astro-turfing that made her an "it girl" in the first place.

I mean, she was cute and all, but nothing warranted the level of exposure she was getting.

Ah yeah I forgot about that.
The illusion of an unbiased opion

>adblock doesn't work on shills.
Very true

I love Pablo posting but this guy is right, if anything I saw fridge shooping as a backlash against that astroturffing

Not to mention the people calling literally every actress a fridge to make it look silly.

She was a cute little girl with dick sucking lips saying motherfucker and shit of course she'd be popular on Cred Forums at that time.

This shit is common place in Cred Forums and Cred Forums and has been so for a while
I mean it should only be expected, Cred Forums made it to be news and was everything but mentioned by Hillary

To be fair, all this shit started with the scientology raids. As that is a multi-billion dollar cult who's done crazier shit.

Not a gamer or a comix guy so never go on those boards, but makes sense especially with what the user said earlier about Saarkesian.

I fully support this thread.

Are you Rebel 1

>people are actually starting to see the reality of the Cred Forums spam threads
I dont understand how is this thread still up,I mean these companies pay money to Hiro to advertise here,thats why mods are allowing them in the first place.

Quick... definative list of every movie we know for sure has had paid shill on Cred Forums

Probably Chloe's agency back in the day

Almost certainly GhostBusters

?

?

And Max Landis hungover after speed binges.

I think the Fury Road feminism "controversy" was 90% fake.

I agree with this.

Nobody gave a fuck except for ROK and some faggots here.

Twitter was a mistake.

It was literally one man on a website who said we should boycott Feminist Road. That was it. And the femishits and media spinned it into MRAs and misogynists all over the internet losing their minds.

I'm 50% sure that "God's Not Dead" movie and its sequel were shilled here, or just some autistic religionfag/atheistfag kept making bait.

Way too many threads for some C level literally who movies.

>Get banned for posting a pic of Han Solo getting turned into a kebab on release day of EP 7

>All the major leakers mysteriously not having cam copies in the first two weeks of the biggest movie this decade

Yeah Disney was 100% handing out brown envelopes to people to protect TFA.

Dude, Huffington Post is based almost directly on shilling.

I'm still convinced that it was just underage kids butthurt that the theater wouldn't let them see an R rated movie. The amount of underage b& on the whole site has exploded in the past few years. I was listening to local talk radio during my lunch break today and there was a 14 year old Trump supporter who called in who I'm sure posts on Cred Forums

And that one guy has never claimed to be an MRA in his entire life, but everyone just ignored that.

Most ridiculous controversy I've ever seen.

That's a fake picture you fucking idiot

Its funny because companies like that have existed although in obscurity as far back as 95, hell i remember my uncle stealth spamming forums to promote his own furry webforum although their favorite weapon was forum drama

Every Purge movie is shilled nonstop around its release date

Prove it.

I'm sorry you were molested

You know what the best part of shilling in a anonymous website is? shill it long and hard enough and people will post it on their own and even make it a meme

>Why does everyone on the internet find a need to talk out of their ass about stuff?
>Cred Forums has 70+ boards

its pavlovian in the way people are conditioned here

That's surprising... because I didn't even see the film as feminist.
>unless it's that very vague, non-militant interpretation of feminism that as long as there's equality, it's feminist

> i remember my uncle stealth spamming forums to promote his own furry webforum although their favorite weapon was forum drama

That's my favourite sentence in this whole thread

Can't be sure I've even heard of those films.
So shilling has it's flaws.

Shilling must also be pretty cheap compared to tv ads etc. What do you even have to pay to Indian or Chinese Pro shiller with 100/h post count? 200$/month? Add in managerial and USA side contact costs it must add to something like 20k for month of non-stop shitting.

>spam and commercial ads exists

wow no way

>Get banned for posting a pic of Han Solo getting turned into a kebab on release day of EP 7

Rightfully so, that's a fucking dick move.

Cred Forums has truly taken over