Great Debate

Choose one. Prove you're patrician.

Like them both for different reasons. I saw The Matrix in theatres recently and it is still such a great ride. The only issue is the CGI in some places, the fashion and the techno

I love Dark City, but The Matrix is a better film, no question about it.

Dark City is like a slightly stylistic mediocre Stargate SG-1 episode

The Matrix is a competently made sci-fi blockbuster that has real staying power

Neither of them is a film for patricians but I'd say The Matrix is better

They're both great.

But if only one of the two existed, and you got to choose which one? The matrix.

Dark City but I like both.

Dark City has the best waifu.

>has a problem with the techno
I could insult your taste, your intellect, and/or your mother.
But I won't.

I like both, but I prefer Dark City

Techno is the plebbiest music there is. And I am from Berlin.

Dark City was better filmed.

Matrix is the more entertaining movie

>the fashion

Dark City is my favourite movie, so obviously that.

this, she is so amazing

/thread

the fedoras fit the settings tho, matrix fashion is the ultimate edge

HOLY SHIT GUYS WATCH OUT HE IS FROM BERLIN

tip das fedora

I don't even have to read the thread to figure out which one is considered "patrician." I know already that the more obscure one is Cred Forums's taste.

Fuck you.

>Dark City
is this movie cyberpunk?
i read the plot thingy on gooble and if there's some cyberpunkness too it it might be neat

It's cybernoir. Or noirpunk. Or something. Whatever, it's good.

is there a twist? i don't wanna know what it is just if there is

yeah kill yourself faggot. Dark City isn't obscure. It just isn't a blockbuster but it isn't some Art lowbudget thing either.
Yeah, pretty big one but watch the director's cut because the cinematic kond of spoils it right away, but is still suprising.

I like Dark city more but I have to admit te whole twist is better in Matrix or more relatable. Dark City doesn't make you question you reality because you don't think aliens kidnapped your whole city and changes your whole life over night and implements fake memories

what if we add this to the competition?

I didn't realise that the twist was spoiled straight away in the theatrical cut, seriously though who would have thought it was a good idea?

>the fashion and the techno

There's literally nothing wrong with these you spaz, and please remember that it's a borderline parody of cyberpunk, so the clothes are semi-ironic

why were the late 90s so GOAT for existentialist sci-fi? and why 15 years later is everything so much worse?

Dark City naturally but The Matrix is a good action movie.

It's kinda depressing that these two movies are literally better than any sci-fi film that has come after them, maybe excluding The Prestige, by a very long distance. Why doesn't Hollywood produce genuine classics any more?

The inferior original one or the superior unoriginal one.

Whatever you chose you are wrong, OP.

gentle reminder that Prometheus will unironically be considered one of the sci-fi greats in about 20 years time

>Moon
>Upstream Color
>Under the Skin

All better films than either of these

The Matrix actually reuses a set made for Dark City.
The rooftop I believe.

Dark City is a good concept that was ruined by that hack Goyer

>A challenger appears!

>Prove you're patrician.

The Matrix.

>it's a borderline parody of cyberpunk, so the clothes are semi-ironic
Drop the sauce whre the Wachowski siblings state that, pl0x.

As a fellow Berlinfag, I have to say that it really depends on the subgenre. Acid certainly isn't, Minimial & House definitely is. Hard DnB, Breakcore & Industrial ftw!

matrix isnt techno you drop kick
fucking pards

>breakcore
you mean jungle for fedoras right?

>Equilibrium
/thread

In terms of original breakcore, I would say that you're right.

>techno
I can guarantee you didn't watch this movie in 1999

well I'm not sure how much was it spoiled but definitely spoke about alien race changing the whole city every night in search of the soul. I think the director said something that he wanted everyone to understand what they're on to but holy shit is it a wrong idea.
In director's cut you're on the same page as john and all these scenes with those weird as people was mysterious after that it has no essence. Really the worst idea ever, I am suprised people don't talk about it more, when talking about Dark City. The only twist left then are John's alien abilities and that is kind of lame

so much this, Thirteenth Floor is criminally underrated. It's riddled with plot holes, but that doesn't stop it from being a really good movie

also prime Gretchen Mol

The Matrix is flawless.

It's one of those kino's you think you'll be embarrassed you were so into, then you see it again and it's still perfect.

>It's one of those kino's you think you'll be embarrassed you were so into, then you see it again and it's still perfect.
that was exactly my experience revisiting it

It's perfect aside from having a completely asinine concept (the matrix exists so humans can be D batteries yeah sure okay whatever you say) and starring one of the most wooden actors who ever lived