Did anyone else see this? Did you like it?

Did anyone else see this? Did you like it?

It just wasn't intelligent enough and didn't spend enough time developing the good characters that it should have - I wish it had been about half an hour longer with a bit more music.

Beetle should have been less quippy and self referential. Additionally the twist doesn't have much emotional impact since it lasts about 5 onscreen seconds before Spoilerspoilerspoiler happens rendering that reveal to be a bit of a "Huh OK." moment. It would have meant more if there had been a build up.

The villains, and all the characters really, were good and so were the visuals. The beginning is the best bit.
The end is very nice but doesn't really hit as hard as it should because /spoilers/ the villagers lie at the end /spoilers/ and we don't even really relate or care about the villain.

Worse than Inside Out (the best film ever) - probably worse than Zootropolis/topia too.
But I liked it nonetheless.

When does this thing open in China and Japan? I'm interested to see how well it does over there.

Watched it with my cousins a few weeks ago, we enjoyed it a lot. I mostly wanted to see it for technical reasons (Laika's gotten so good you often forget it's stop-motion animation) and was impressed by it. Great visuals too.

>doesn't really hit as hard as it should because the villagers lie at the end
I loved it. spoiler]The movie was about finding love and creating your own path, what good would it do to banish and hate an old senile man that doesn't even remember what he did? They gave him the option to start over and finally "see" the world with Kubo's eye.

>Worse than Inside Out (the best film ever) - probably worse than Zootropolis/topia too.

I was kind of agreeing with you, but then you went and threw this in there and now reading back I'm not completely sure if this is a bait post or not.

Good work.

I agree with you - they should not banish and hate an old senile man.
I guess it didn't hard hard because he wasn't really the same character, he didn't learn anything because Cred Forums he forgot everything and wasn't really himself Cred Forums It could have been a tragic realisation for him rather than a kind-of redemption kind-of not, that says more about the villagers than it does the villain

It's not bait

I liked that it didn't overstay it's welcome. The twist and the resulting actions act as more of a gut punch IMO, finding out the truth only to have it snatched away in a second is quite effective. Plus the film makes a point of suggesting you to live in the moment and enjoy what's around you, hence why the scene where Kubo has dinner between the beetle and the monkey carries more weight later on.

Think of it this way, the villian was "hate" itself
He was blind to love, and was finally able to see again with new eyes

I agree that making him forget everything is kind of a cop-out, but that's partly what he's been trying to do to those around him (making his daugther forget her husband, making the husband forget who he is, trying to break them apart, etc) Kubo "hit" him with his own trick.

But the film was also about holding onto memories (the two strings) - I would have thought it would have been more poetic to have him remember his past misdeeds. Imagine how impactful it would have been for him to see his Kubo for the first time with real eyes having lived an eternity in the crystalline purity of the unchanging. Instead there is no bond like that, he is rendered simply another person who has learned or will remember nothing of the past.
It's this little things that are actually really big things that turn a good film into a great film, in my opinion.

The evil aunts were great

Otherwise the movie was dull

>It's this little things that are actually really big things that turn a good film into a great film, in my opinion.
Yeah, agreed. I think the movie had some pacing problems, because they were trying to fit too much in such a short time (in a way I feel that about many other animated films lately, first thing that comes to mind is HTTYD2 with the father death scene that lasted for a minute or so, and an "epic" final battle that was barely even a battle), some of it felt rushed and undeveloped as you previously mentioned.

All I can say is that I'm looking forward to their next project, which will (hopefully) be more refined.

I actually teared up when they started lying
Like something about the kindness in their words

>The evil aunts were great
Wished their fight scenes lasted longer but I guess it's hard to do that with the way they film things

Was really disappointed with HTTYD2 after loving the first one

Best villains, but it feels like the adventure didn't last long enough.

The script needed work because the dialogue was very bad. It looked good but the story and characters fell flat. Coraline remains his best work.

One of the better one of this year imo, not perfect but certainly is better than anything Disney put out unlike this guy said

The first 2/3 of the movie was comfy but needs maybe another 20 minutes of the journey segment to develop Kubo and his growing power, Kubo-Monkey-Beetle relationship, the sisters and just the overall comfiness.

The last third was rather weak. I really like the twist and it sets up for something more powerful but the death of Beetle feels quite weightless. Even something cliche like sacrifice with be better due to it completing the cycle and Kubo's mom story about Hanzo.

Also the parents did not appear along the villagers wtf? I get that Kubo didn't make any of the light things for them but he still has the two strings and his parents' instument and armors. Idk, work it in somehow.

>tfw nobody stood up even "While my guitar gently weeps" played

oh shit it's for the OP

>Did anyone else see this?
Yes
>Did you like it?
You tell me

Was spectacular, one of the best kids films in years.

Could have used a bit more adventure but it was really solid

I'm pretty sure this movie was already out in JP. It was #1 over Suicide Sqwa I think I member reading

Yeah it was great, especially the fight on the boat.

I loved it, one of my favorites of the year, but holy shit I didn't like the ending much at all. Everything leading up to him creating the spirit bubble gave me chills but I didn't like them bringing the Grandpa back and lying. I get that He technically did nothing wrong but it felt like such a cop-out.

Still, the animation is un-fucking-paralleled and all the death talk helped me try to get over a friend who overdosed on heroin recently.

Also good to see Ralph Fiennes in full Voldemort Mode again.

>I get that Kubo didn't make any of the light things for them
Did you miss one of the final scenes of Kubo talking with both of his parents?

The showing I went to was filled with college aged hipsters.

fun movie

I mean way before that when all the villagers' loved ones got summoned and stood with them opposing Kubo's grandfather