Memes aside, what does Cred Forums think of Watchmen?

Memes aside, what does Cred Forums think of Watchmen?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5oltd-Jsi2I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The book is fine. The movie is trash.

the book is amazing. the film is good.

decent movie with stunning visuals and a hit or miss cast, but a horrible overall adaptation of the source material

Some studio needs to pick up other Moore properties. A providence film might be the only true Lovecraftian movie ever made.

>directed by Hack Snyder
what do you think?

>shoehorn in music video sequences and unneeded fight scenes
>good
Imp fucking plying

Perfect adaptation. Literally couldn't have done better

Is Providence worth getting? I'm not a comic reader at all but I've read both V for Vendetta and Watchmen and enjoyed them a lot. I guess they're not really "comics" as such either but graphical novels - whatever the actual diffrence is.

Who was a miss? I thought the casting was perfect

The book is a masterpiece you fucking pleb.

Snyder truly is the Kubrick of our generation.

I liked the intro

It's forgettable ecept for the comic having a retarded ending

It's a lot more tame than any of his other work. You could call it boring but it hits the right notes that make lovecraft great. It has a lot of tidbits of actual lovecraft short stories but if I had to recommend you something beforehand, I would say read Lovecraft's 'The Unnamable', and see if you like it.

If so then yeah, Providence should be good for you.

Watchmen is a perfectly structured comic that is deep and nuanced. People mostly talk about it in terms of "superhero deconstruction" but those people are capeshit retards who don't realize just how intelligent it really is. It's definitely flawed but I think it's a genuine comics masterpiece.

Zack Snyder is one of those capeshit retards. The movie feels like your dumbass friend who liked The Dark Knight and plays those Arkham games quickly read Watchmen, but skipped the boring parts, and then decided to tell you the plot.

laurie, laurie's mum and veidt were the standout miscasts imo

>Le watch le men le comic le is le a master le piece le meme

Le fuck le off le back le to le leddit

>You could call it boring but it hits the right notes that make lovecraft great.

I've read plenty Lovecraft before, so that shouldn't really stop me.

I'll definitely check it out, thanks.

You fuck off, you tasteless faggot.

faget

I say fine because I read it having never grown up reading comic books. So the tropes it was commenting on were somewhat lost on me and I feel that's where the vast majority of the priase for it comes from - it's ability to comment on comic history. No need to get upset

The film and book are great. Shame they made Veidt a numale. Of course like every adaptation it will piss you off. Even """good""" ones like The Shining make me want to pull my teeth out.

What the fuck was the glowing blue doctor guy's problem?

A film can be good and still have flaws. I enjoy watching it but I'd never claim it to be better than the book.

unfortunately it was Snyder's last watchable film

Read the Novel

>The book is great. The movie is the best capeshit ever made.

FTFY

Literally the definition of a glib facsimile.

The comic is great. The film is shit.

>I guess they're not really "comics" as such either but graphical novels - whatever the actual diffrence is.
There's literally no difference, graphic novels is a marketing term (that ironically started getting popular when DC knew they had a hit with Watchmen and started pushing the 'they're graphic novels now, not just for kids lol' angle). Use whichever one you want.

>all but Doc are normal humans
>the can still punch through walls and jump 10 feet high

Directors Cut is kino

>movie/book with the central theme of deconstructing the supe archetype
>lol why is it so over the top??? makes me cry!!

Do you have autism or just very pleb?

God complex. Since he was the most powerful person in the world, he feels he should be in charge. He has no empathy for humans either, seeing as they would all kill each other than progress.

laurie and her mum are almost exact clones of the comic book characters. Veidt is a twink compared to the original but still well cast

>horrible overall adaptatio
it's almost a shot-for-shot adaptation besides the ending. You don't get more faithful than that

Comic makes fun of cape shit. Movie glorifies cape shit. Snyder probably didn't even read the original.

They are all great and veidt especially so, he pulls off the messianic complex arrogant millionare better than the comic veidt

>Comic makes fun of cape shit. Movie glorifies cape shit
neither of those statements are true

>deconstructing the super archetype
Exactly.
They were not superhuman. Their reaction to Ozy claiming he could catch a bullet shows how realistic their world and their abilities were (other than Doc Manhattan).
That point was made several times in the comics, Snyder just wanted super cool action scenes which the comic didn't have.

Men go to prison, memes get put down

who are all these tards who like the comic but shit on the move? other than the ending it's the exact same fucking thing

>Comic makes fun of cape shit. Movie glorifies cape shit

Stick with Marvel boi, this is too much for you

Grpahic novel is an edgy way of saying picture book

motion comic is top kino

yeah their abilities are super realistic including the way they fight crime in their underpants for years and only a few of them ever get hurt

>B-but muh pirates
>B-but muh alien

Movie ending > comic ending btw

he sees people irrelevant 2bqh

>Their reaction to Ozy claiming he could catch a bullet shows how realistic their world and their abilities were (other than Doc Manhattan)

Exactly like the comic then. Ozy's ability to catch bullets is about deconstruction (or mock) the "self improvement until you're God" theme of some comic books (especially batman but many others).

Once again, it's better done in the film than in the comic

Greatest superhero movie of all time.

No one cares about the comics you fuckin spergs

hurr durr muh comics n anime n vidya

The Watchmen themselves had Batman tier plot armor, I'll give you that but the Minutemen managed to get themselves killed in hilariously stupid ways.

The movie beats you on the head with its tediously dark message.

But then again, that's snyder for you. No subtlety.

i think i broke you

kino.

The comic is a great read. The movie was really good as well.

Remember to always ignore contrarian fucks. They can't like something that other people enjoy, and have to say it's shit in an attempt to come across as special snowflakes.

This

Is this what Tourettes looks like?

the people who think the movie is on the same level as the comic most likely didn't really understand what the comic was about, just like snyder didn't understand

the comic is good, the movie is a try hard fan boy version of the comic where the guy reading it clearly missed the entire fucking point of it and just saw a bunch of costumes and c00l stuff

Pure kino.

Try From Hell too.

Reminds me of LotR
Not perfect
Missing a lot of stuff
Kind of misses the point of the source material

But basically is the best adaptation we could have gotten and solidly entertaining film

This is a fair point and very accurate, too bad you had to post it along with that stupid, drumpfag meme frog.

Graphic novels also imply that it's a miniseries. A beginning and end, none of that comic book nonsense where shit goes on forever or rebooted.

>not enjoying antisemitic Pepe Frogs

>Trump
>anti-semitic
didn't his children all marry Jews or Mischlings?

The only problem with Laurie is that Malin Akerman is a horrible actress

Pepe is antisemitic not Trump.

Pepe is whatever the author wants it to be, newfig.

one of the best modern novels, graphic or not.
Movie butchered the story and ending + made the characters walking stereotypes and gave them superpowers totally missing the point of the source material. Classic Snyder

Who watches the Watchmen?

none of them really had superpowers. The only example is Veidt being Sonic fast with that bullet. Also the characters had pretty much the exact same lines as the comic

visual style =/= superpowers
dumbfuck

it's like saying he made Spartans superheroes in 300 because they can perform tasks than no other human can

>Who was a miss? I thought the casting was perfect

I thought Veidt/Ozymandias was a big miss. At first he seemed fine (I saw the movie, then read the book/comic), but in the book he's supposed to be Captain America, not Draco Malfoy's Norwegian uncle.

he's german, GERMAN!

>supposed to be Captain America
>ruthless capitalist with no morals
>fag
>not patriotic at all
>prepared to murder millions to achieve his goals

he's America but not Captain America

He's the son of German immigrants but was born in America in the 1930s.

No, I meant he's supposed to look like Captain America.

Why do people keep saying it's a shit adaptation? There are multiple scenes in the film that are literal scene-for-scene recreations from the comic. No other comic book movie has ever done that.

The movie is great, don't listen to these cows

all the other Watchmen are buff, I'm ok with one twink in there

>There are multiple scenes in the film that are literal scene-for-scene recreations from the comic
That doesn't mean it's a good adaption though.

>all the other Watchmen are buff

Isn't Rorschach a scrawny manlet?

oh that's true. I don't really consider him a Watchman though, he's almost always acted alone

>Isn't Rorschach a scrawny manlet?
He eats nothing but uncooked beans and wears elevator shoes, so yes.

No Pepe is a symbol of hate reeeeeeee

>uncooked beans
I can tell you live with mommy if you really don't know what uncooked beans look like.

>The movie was really good as well.

The movie wasn't good. It was just memorable.

It's hard to explain. I thought that movie was tedious, but there are scenes that stick in my head.

Was it Synder or the book that did this?

Don't put a great movie like Watchmen next to that other garbage

damn, I never noticed the eye in the pyramid before

I need to read this, again...

The Birth Caul was pretty cool.
The Courtyard was pretty dark (Lovecraftian rituals).
From Hell was great (the book) and I loved how the appendix notes where every frame was sourced from and is just as long as the book, itself.

The movie took a lot of great scenes from the comic and put them in motion, and, what can only be described as purely by accident, made them as good as the scenes in the comic were.

Vietnam not being an example of this, of course. That scene was fucking horrible.

KINO

youtube.com/watch?v=5oltd-Jsi2I

I think the movie is fucking amazing.

I think it wouldn't interest me, so I've never watched it or read the source material.

The """""""""""book"""""""""" is top tier
The soundtrack is fine in the movie, but its still not great

>drumpf
Kill yourself tumblr, you're not welcome here anymore than Cred Forums is.

This is Cred Forums, son. No one is welcome here.

The movie could have been a lot worse but there's still a lot wrong with it.

if you really like lovecraft, catching obscure literary references and a slow burn trip across the occult underside of 1900 america where every encounter raises the creep factor in subtle ways then yeah, go nuts with providence

Stale acting but, all things considered, very faithful to the source material and an OK movie overall.

Respectful as it could get and synthesize in a few hours, a transposition (because with Gesamtkunstwerks you can't do adaptations) that really bridges the gap on what adapting the unadaptable entails.
Comic books expand indefinitely, movies synthesize in 24 pictures per second, both Watchmen know this.
Snyder has my eternal respect even if all his movies are of lowering quality.

The book is good. The flick is worse.

I wanted to give a chance to capeshit and watched this movie because it was supposed to be the best capeshit ever, but it turns out to be one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever seen. I'm now convinced that capeshit is unredeemable and I can in good consciousness ignore all of them.

He sits in Dan's apartment and eats 2 cans of uncooked pork and beans right out of the can, dipshit.

>Movie butchered the story and ending

The story is almost identical up to the ending and the ending makes a lot more sense than the original.

>made the characters walking stereotypes

They were already that? That's the point. They're archetypal of comic book characters at the time.

>gave them superpowers

Debatable.

You don't happen to know where one might grab a pdf of that stuff? I don't exactly live close to any store that stocks anything but daily newspapers and gossip.

Have you really never seen uncooked beans?