Martin Scorsese's Essential Foreign Films List

is he Patrician?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt0113932/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>writes all film titles in english except the italian ones
>"muh heritage!"

That list is criterion-core.

But it looks more like a starter pack, not a list of films he thinks are the best or his favorites.

>HIGH & LOW
>no STRAY DOG

dropped the proverbial kurosawa ball pretty fuckin hard there, marty

>HASPAR HAUSER
typo? is marty retarded?

>Haspar Hauser

>The Bicycle Thief

Which Beauty and the Beast there are like 6 of them

>no Bee Movie

>patrician
imdb.com/title/tt0113932/

Rocco and his Brothers is Alain Delon core.

Go watch Purple Noon and Le Samourai, plebs

I don't even know what the English crap language names are for L'Avventura or Il Sorpasso.

There isn't any use for a list like this. For one there are too many movies from 1920-60s. As a result, if someone went straight from a Scorsese movie or any contemporary movie to any of those listed they will likely find them boring due to their age and the style of the time. A true "introduction to foreign film" list is ever evolving because it will present movies that are most equatable to the novices' tastes, that is to say, it wouldn't feature 3 hour long epics from 1954 but rather acclaimed modern foreign language movies that are similar to the movies the novice usually watches.

Movies like La Haine or Amour or The Hunt will actually get people into watching foreign movies because they're similar to the contemporary Hollywood style. Bicycle Thieves is one of my favourite movies but I couldn't see a modern audience appreciating it as their very first foreign language movie, stylistically it is so alien to what is the norm today it is arguably like a different art-form entirely.

Also if someone is going into a formal education in film and have not already seen all of these movies they will likely do shit

>Movies like La Haine or Amour or The Hunt will actually get people into watching foreign movies because they're similar to the contemporary Hollywood style.

>Le Samourai
reddit tier garbage

All those are pretty entry level

When I found out he loved Cure, it instantly cemented him as patrician in my eyes. His review:
>This is one of the very best films by the extremely talented Kiyoshi Kurosawa— for those of you who don't know the name or the work, he's no relation to Akira Kurosawa. He's an absolute master of light, framing and pacing, and he has so much control over all three that there are moments in his movies when the slightest gesture in the corner of the frame will send a shiver down your spine. Kurosawa doesn't exactly work in the horror genre. Rather, his films are filled with a strange dread. In many of them, something has arrived, no one knows exactly what or how or for what purpose: Reality is untouched except for a small, unsettling detail or two, which mutates into violence and irrationality. I can recommend every Kurosawa movie I've seen: Séance, Charisma, Doppelgänger, Bright Future and the more recent Retribution. Along with Pulse, which is about ghosts on the Internet, Cure is his most terrifying movie. The excellent Kôji Yakusho (he and Kurosawa have worked together many times) is a detective confronted with a seemingly inexplicable phenomenon: a series of murders in which the perpetrators are standing by unaware of how or why they did it, with red X's carved on the necks of the victims. There are startling images and moments in this picture that will haunt you for a long time to come, and I suppose I should say that it's not for the faint of heart. But be brave, because it's worth it. Kurosawa is a major filmmaker.

>Ali
>Maria Braun
what a cuck

Of course he is
And because he's an accomplished filmmaker himself he has no issue loving popular movies; he's got nothing to prove

I watched Cure once and fell asleep 30 minutes in.
Should I try to watch it again or am I just too pleb?

I don't know if you're too pleb to enjoy it, try to watch it again. It starts really slow, that's very true. You gotta be in the right mood, though. Watch it alone and with a good sound system or headphones. It's been my favorite movie for years.

Pleb shit

>reddit posting

REEEEE

how do you know that this image is from reddit? :^)

Because it was posted here years ago

>scorcesse suggests two Herzog movies
>including one with a mistyped title
pretty patrician desu

That's why it says those films will help whoever is the reciever of the letter to start their film education.

If you are not a pleb you should already know which one.

If they can't sit through any of this movies then maybe they don't deserve to start any film education. These are merely pleb filters. Fuck off, nobody cares about your ADHD ridden faggots.

>hey guys, Scorsese made a list of movies for normies to get into foreign language movies

>but it wouldn't help normies

>REEEEEEEEEE FUUUUCCCKKKIINNNNGGG NORRRRMMMIIEEEES

you rn

His best movie is Mr. Klein though

>Beauty and the Beast

But Cred Forums told me Lion King was better

>Scorsese made a list of movies for normies to get into foreign language movies

besides how fucking autistic that labelling is, how is my description wrong? Scorsese is spoonfeeding some pleb a bunch of foreign language movies?

THIS FILM IS SO FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOD

You're pretty dumb senpai

Do you take me for a lowly person? Of course I know which one. What else could it be but the critically acclaimed Disney movie baka

I thought Scorsese was a big Bergman fan.
Or am I thinking of Woody?

You are thinking of Tarkovsky :-D

By Breathless does he mean the Korean one or is there another movie of the same name he's talking about?

I love the Korean one.

This is bait!

>Maria Braun
>no Petra von Kant

>casts himself as a nigger killer in Taxi Driver
>recommends German cuckino
What's wrong with Marty?

KiYoshi is so good. Saw Daguerrotype at TIFF and it was easily the best of the festival other than the Salesman

Where's Fallen Angels?