Why is he so revered? Is it because of Star Wars?

Why is he so revered? Is it because of Star Wars?
Every movie is:
>MUH DRUMS
>MUH ANCIENT JAPAN
>MUH TOSHIRO MIFUNE
>MUH 60 FPS

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=doaQC-S8de8
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

if you can't understand why Kurosawa is good you should probably give up on films

I really fucking hate Cred Forumseddit.

sage

this desu

is that the best you can do

>>MUH DRUMS
>>MUH 60 FPS

the fuck

Every movie is:
>MUH ACOUSTIC GUITAR
>MUH WILD WEST
>MUH JOHN WAYNE
>MUH 24 FPS

His movies are boring visually, musically, and writing-wise.

not even funny op

>boring
Fucking pleb

Don't forget square dancing.

Get the fuck out of this board

I seriously want to know, no bullshit

His films are extremely well-made, especially considering their budget. When it came to the technical aspect, he was a master at it.

Hidden Fortress itself, is one of the most perfectly-paced movies ever made. There isn't a single scene wasted.

lol

It has nothing to do with Star Wars, you pleb. Kurosawa was revered before Star Wars came out.

His camera movement, his sense of pace, his visual storytelling are all top-tier. When you weigh his ability against his budget constraints, against the narrow expectations of his audience, he emerges as a master simply put.

Kurosawa and Ozu are both so great that they're beyond this kind of shitposted criticism. Seriously, fuck off to another board with your terrible taste.

you already baited a reply from me. here's my last one.

>tfw you realize Seven Samurai is a 3 hour long movie with no fat to trim off
The more you learn about film the more you grow to appreciate Kurosawa. He's like the Bach of movies. The alpha and the omega.

>MUH ANCIENT JAPAN
>ancient

Japan was the way it was in his films, for 800 years. And not 800 years in the middle ages, they were like that until 1867. Kurosawa's grandfather was alive when there were still samurai around. This is such a cornerstone of his nation's pre-restoration culture that it was something everyone in the theaters in Japan could identify with.

One of the more correct statements I've encountered on this shithole.

>MUH ANCIENT JAPAN

maybe you should have watched more than seven samurai & hidden fortress you uneducated nigger

I didn't expect you all you to get so angry.

this thread has actually given me faith in Cred Forums again holy shit

Every movie is:
>MUH ZIMMER
>MUH MODERN WORLD
>MUH TOM HARDY
>MUH IMAX

Not OP but there's also The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail, Rashomon, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood (Macbeth in feudal japan), Sanjuro, Kagemusha, and Ran (King Lear in feudal japan).

He had basically 2 settings: feudal japanese period pieces, or films set in the last 40 years from when he was making them.

>He had basically 2 settings: feudal japanese period pieces, or films set in the last 40 years from when he was making them.
The fuck did you expect him to make? The Rise and Fall of the Roman Republic on a Japanese budget for a Japanese audience with Japanese actors?

Christ.

you say that like it's a bad thing

the man went from Rashomon to Ran without a single hiccup. each film feels unique and masterfully made.

>films set in the last 40 years from when he was making them.
what point are you even trying to make here?

Not everything you disagree with is bait.

I've only watched Yojimbo and Sanjuro, they were very good

preferred throne of blood though even though it's a differeetn directato

"""hating""" kurosawa because >muh drums is bait

I never said it was a bad thing. I'm just saying that it's not wrong to see him as a filmmaker with an emphasis on feudal japan when that's like half his films.

Kurosawa is entry tier but that doesn't mean he isn't excellent, faggot. Stop reading this overly-long spoiler and go watch something

if you can't understand why /put here any classic director/ is good you should probably give up on films (c) retarded pretentious piece of shit

OP why are you so salty that you're wrong?

Every movie is:
>SLEEP
>CONSUME
>MARRY AND REPRODUCE
>WATCH TV

There is some interesting concepts you could do with the very turn of the 20th century in Japan, which honestly he really only set one film in. It was a very transformative time.

Like how the Teito Monogatari novels are all about the history of modern tokyo from like 1903 to now, but from an occultist perspective, saying that the city's turbulent history came from good and evil onmyoji trying to destroy each other and disturb the slumber of Taira no Masakado.

Take your sunglasses off.

No that's They Live.

Every movie is:
>MUH WATER DRIPPING
>MUH NATURE
>MUH SOLONITSYN
>MUH DOLLY SHOTS

Just trying to incite conversation, I really am serious though.

if you're serious, go look up Noh theatre which was a huge influence on kurosawa's music.

ancient japan is fucking cool and he treated it with respect.

toshiro mifune basically changed acting. there would be no anti hero without mifune and I truly believe that

last point is fucking stupid

>muh ancient Japan

Its a fact that his best film is set in the modern era

damn u got him there

>there would be no anti hero without mifune

Not true, Lord Byron essentially codified the concept in literature in the early 19th century.

Is it bad if I really want to murder op?

I know about Noh, somewhat, I still don't like it.
>toshiro mifune basically changed acting.
In what way?

>in literature

MUH HORSES

OP is right, superior Kurosawa coming through

Kurosawa is the literal definition of mediocrity. His best works are 5/10 at best.
There are dozens of other Japanese directors from his time that take a hot steaming turd on him in terms of skill and movie output and yet he was chosen as that one single meme director to represent Japan.

What about that Hamlet movie?

bait or retard?

op is stupid, but atitudes like the blind fanboyism displayed in this thread are way more cancerous. Ikiru is a shitty movie, btw

find me a good director that ISN'T a fanboy of kurosawa

he defined so much of cinema. I honestly can't believe the stupidity of this website sometimes.

What an introduction.

hipster post of the year

>Literature didn't inspire film

godard. nice fallacy, btw

Mizoguchi, Kobayashi, Teshigahara & Imamura all better in my experience but what do I know about film.

Directors that predate him.

God you are fucking stupid

>tfw East Asian Civ professor keep playing clips from Kurosawa films in class
feels good man

Of course it did. But its not film. Mifune is noted for having actually ACTED as an anti-hero, not coming up with the concept.

denial:the post

Kobayashi
Imamura
Mizoguchi
Ozu
Seijun Suzuki
Teshigahara
Naruse
Oshima
Ichikawa

Even the worst movie of any of those directors is still worlds better than Kurosawa's best work.
The only mediocre hack director who got praised undeservedly that much I can think of is Alfred Hitchcock.

>there are people on Cred Forums that genuinely dislike kurosawa

don't you guys claim to be better than reddit?

idolatry is a reddit-esque attribute
even the best of directors should be criticized

>lack of argument: the post

Give me one of these directors' worst movie and tell me how its worlds better than Kurosawa's best

7483163X
remember to not give (You) to a 0 effort shitpost
7483168X
theres no critique ITT

this

all the points are "hurr kurosawa is bad because he is boring and bad"

I do not genuinely enjoy any of his work

t.

>degeneracy printed with the star of david
What did he mean by this?

first post is once again best post, as is tradition

>muh violence
>muh pop culture
>muh trunk shot

okay. why?

give me actual reasons without using memes

Because I enjoy the other directors way more?

If you dislike a director, then please give reasons why. Not explaining is as bad as heaping praise on a director without giving reasons for why they are praise-worthy.

you don't enjoy his work... because of other directors' work?

are you stupid?

>start a thread discussing Kurosawa's films
>no one replies

>start a thread saying he sucks
>instantly because the longest thread on Cred Forums

This is the reason this board is shit, not because trolls like OP, because people take the bait.

That's a common thing on all of the internet, though.

In the same way you'll also get the right answer to a question much faster by first giving your own, made up answer. People will be much more eager to correct you and give you the information you actually wanted than if you had just asked for it

What if Kurosawa just isn't his cup of tea?
Maybe he just likes movies about old prostitutes drinking tea and sharing stories instead of big samurai epics?

I like mizoguchi but that doesn't mean I hate kurosawa.

Nigga, you said "created the anti-hero"

Where did we go wrong?

OH NO, A NIGGER.

I said I do not enjoy his work. Not that I hate them. I never got a feel of an epic from Kurosawa's work. Ikiru's probably my favorite of his films, but I can't connect with any of them emotionally. Just something about how he shoots scenes makes me unable to feel with them. I loved Kwaidan, Harakiri, other Samurai films but his are so detached in some way that I can't enjoy them

detached? do you think it's the acting?

I never felt like I was getting the characters' psyche in Kurosawa films other than Ikiru really (and even then I didn't really like it), some of is probably the melodramatical/theatrical acting

GOOD MEME

I get what you're saying, it's the same with Kubrick, I don't know why.

Does that mean Denzel is bald?

I don't get how you can praise Mizoguchi, but then turn around and call Kurosawa melodramatic.

tfw there are people who don't think 2001 is a masterpiece

Oh yeah, Kubrick (really only EWS like Ikiru with Akira Kurosawa) is the same, and for me third director like this is Leone.

Maybe I misuse the word but Mifune in pajamas doing barrel rolls is just 2 much

I can respect that.

>"muh" instead of arguments

Do us all a favour and never post again.

Every movie is:
>MUH FUCK IT, ONE TAKE IS GOOD ENOUGH.
>MUH COMMUNICATION DISRUPTIONS
>MUH SPIELBERG'S COATTAILS
>MUH VENTILATION SHAFTS

It's funny that they all have similar faces.

2001 is complete shit.

there we go
they exist
surreal

part of me hopes this is all bait and I'm an idiot, but if it's not:
I think you should give kurosawa a second chance. His stuff really opens up on repeated viewings. the psychology of the characters is very much there, but he reveals it through their movement, the camera angles, the environment (think the fire in Ran).

However, I can understand if you think the acting is theatrical.
meh a lot of Kubrick's stuff is supposed be detached though as he uses a lot of satirical elements.

What makes them like that though? I want to avoid that when I make my own films.

>the psychology of the characters is very much there, but he reveals it through their movement
youtube.com/watch?v=doaQC-S8de8

yeah he hits the nail on the head in this video.

if you want to make films you need to study those three directors. You may not like their films but the techniques they used are extremely useful.

you got me.

Why would I be studying them if I DON'T want to be like them?

I can connect visual motifs, themes to characters and their mind but the way Kurosawa usually does it does nothing for me.

I've seen his samurai films several times, in fact I rewatch 7 Samurai from time to time to check out if I'd like it but after like 10 times it's still a nope. Feels so weird

To (samefag) add: I have a suspicion that it'd do a LOT to the films of Kurosawa if I saw them in silver screen (I have a 77" but I fear its too small for these films)

I'm not sure what you mean by psychology, but I'm watching Seven Samurai and a lot of character bits are unsubtle/obvious.

They're not supposed to be obfuscated though. JHe is not trying to hide his characters.

you have to think of it like textbooks in a class. they may be dense but you need to know the information that's in there.

OR maybe I'm getting old, closed-minded and bitter, and it saddens me to think that there are aspiring directors out there who don't like kurosawa and kubrick.

possibly, but if you have watched seven samurai that many times and still dislike it then I guess you just dislike it

this thread has genuinely depressed me. i should care less

I do enjoy other japanese directors tho, it's just that I can't get touch with this one

There's a difference between being unclear and being ridiculously obvious.

>Is it because of Star Wars?
Stopped reading right here

I didn't say I didn't like Kurosawa or Kubrick, I just said that I don't want to be like them. I don't want to make detached movies.
I liked A Clockwork Orange a lot, A Clockwork Orange has a very clear lead, but it still somehow manages to feel detached and impersonal.

if you don't try to make detached movies you won't make them. if you ever 'accidentally' make a detached movie people will just think the writing is bad.

if you want to avoid it then make your characters relatable and realistic. don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean they have to be good people. see: The Sopranos

I still recommend you study people like kubrick, even more so if you specifically want to avoid being like them. If you understand WHY they feel detached, and the reason the director may have chosen to do it that way, then you will be able to avoid it in your films. Think about why all the humans in the future of 2001 are scarily detached? Didn't we just watch apes jumping around and expressing themselves openly for the last 15 minutes?

You're fine user, ignore him. He's grasping for a non-existent canon.

Bergman, Tarkovsky, and Kurosawa are all essential since they basically have no films that has no ambition.

Whoo boy you got a rise out of me for a second

Can we all at least agree that Throne of Blood is shit?

It's worse than many of his other movies but still worth watching. It's a good movie about paranoia.

I could't finish Ran, it was so fucking boring

>boring
There's that word again

I'll never understand the point of these bait threads beyond MUH CLICKS

Like, they rarely engender discussion beyond people shouting angrily at an OP who disappears after the first post, so you basically get a choir all shouting in one direction

>about paranoia

Dude its just Macbeth

Seven Samurai is way too long.

what a monkey face

>leave fpbpkino to me

kurosawa was a genius and one of my favorite directors, but am i alone in thinking that kagemusha is not only overrated but not even really a good movie?

it felt extremely overstylized and just not cohesive at all, and the whole thing seemed to me like an ambitious dry run for ran; which also has some issues but to me feels like a legitimately great (albeit slightly overdone and overambitious) movie.

idk

Like this dick. You will still take it and love it, bitch.

It is, I agree, except for the ending--best ending ever.

I can't opinion on Kurosawa because I've never seen his stuff. I'm running to Zia right now to buy some; where should I start? What are a few of his best movies?

No irony. No bait. No bs. Hookup some honest recs please.

>buy
sheeple spotted

okay.

No wi-fi. No computer. Better off calling me bum trash hipster, mr obv.

well, start with the basics
>seven samurai
>Rashomon
and for something that will really get ya hooked
>high and low

These all look interesting. Thanks.

Now the rest of the kiddies can get back to seeing who can drink the most piss.

>His films are extremely well-made, especially considering their budget.

>At the time Seven Samurai entered production, most major Japanese films cost around $70,000. Because Kurosawa demanded the authenticity of things like a fully constructed outdoor village location, and because of frequent production challenges, the shoot dragged on and eventually took a year to complete.
>As a result, the budget ballooned to nearly $500,000—a massive sum at the time.

this was me niggu

Comment doesn't make any sense. How could the audience in the fucking 50s identify with something that ended in the late 1860s?

ikiru and ran are better than seven samurai

fight me

Asians live long.

High and Low is one of THE BEST films ever.