"DOCTOR STRANGE" INFORMATION ROUND-UP

From the set reports.

>Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) is a brilliant, but arrogant neurosurgeon whose hands are severely injured in a car accident, ruining his career. After squandering his fortune in pursuit of a conventional cure, he learns of the Kamar-Taj, a secluded monastery in Nepal where miraculous recoveries are said to take place. He journeys there, only to learn that it houses a secret society of sorcerers that protect Earth from extradimensional threats, and is offered the chance to join them.

>The Ancient One (Tilda Swinton) is the leader of the Kamar-Taj and the last of a long lineage of Sorcerers Supreme, who must lead in the battle against the otherwordly forces. She accepts Strange as his apprentice.

>Karl Mordo (Chiwetel Ejiofor) is the Ancient One's former apprentice and right-hand man. Mordo is the first to see potential in Strange and becomes a mentor for him as he learns more about the mystic arts.

>Wong (Benedict Wong) is one of the oldest mystics in Kamar-Taj and the guardian of its library. He is skeptical of Strange's worth at first, but is ultimately convinced that Strange is a worthy warrior.

>Christine Palmer (Rachel McAdams) is Strange's old friend, fellow doctor and potential love interest with whom he reunites once he returns to New York City and sets up a base of operations in the Sanctum Sanctorum, a penthouse office in Greenwich Village.

>Kaecilius (Mads Mikkelsen) is a former member of the Kamar-Taj who has broken off into his own sect alongside his followers, the Zealots. Kaecilius has come into contact with a powerful entity that resides in the Dark Dimension and learned that there are greater powers that the Ancient One refuses to harness, as it could lead to the destruction of the world. He then vows to master these powers himself and unveil the secrets of the Multiverse at any cost necessary.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/8S_R13jV11Q
twitter.com/salemzorro/status/781261882846052353
collider.com/doctor-strange-reshoots-dan-harmon/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sounds good

> She accepts Strange as his apprentice.

A more perfect summary of Swinton's androgyny in a single sentence there never was.

I hope they don't waste Mads.

Literally Bat-Magic-man Begins

>le master turns
>le discovered chink monastery
>le guide
>love interest who is the only person who knows about him and the kind of person he was before the accident
>edgy member of sect who turns
>hero is still testing his powers
>quirky sidekick like alfred
>with 1000% more memes
>and 10000% less quality
>Marvel studios presents
>A [insert minorty director here] film
>Doctor Strange

This will probably be the first Marvel movie I've seen in cinemas in ages. I'm rolling out for this one because the effects look cool and the Avengers aren't cringing up the joint with their bad jokes.

Also I warmed to the director when he praised Zack Snyder's adaptation of Watchmen.

So basically Ep VII

>his own sect, the Zealots

That is not a good name for recruiting purposes, man.

wtf i take back everything bad I said about this film now

Don't forget Stan lee

jesus fuckhe could play the comedian

>tfw they didn't cast Keannu as Strange

>cringing up the joint with their bad jokes.

"Mr..."
"Doctor."
"Mr. Doctor?"
"It's Strange."
"Maybe but who am I to judge?"

When are they going to introduce Dormammu and Shuma-Gorath?

it certainly wasn't funny but it definitely wasn't cringe

the fact that it's in the trailer probably means its own of the "best quips" they have to offer

if that's the worst it will get then the movie is fine in the quip department, although I could be wrong and it could turn out to be a meme-fest

>Kevin Feige says that Strange and Tony Stark have similar origins and that, like Stark, Strange's childhood shaped his arrogant personality, but unlike Stark, who found a better outlet for his creativity but retained his carefree sarcastic personality, Strange's life completely unravels and he emerges from the ordeal a changed man.

>Scott Derrickson says Strange is an inherently lonely character, but is not without a sense of humor and wonder at what he's experiencing.

>Benedict Cumberbatch was always their main choice for the role, but he initially declined due to scheduling conflicts, and there were discussions with Joaquin Phoenix, Ryan Gosling and Jared Leto before it was decided they'd delay shooting to accomodate Benedict Cumberbatch's schedule.

>Derrickson wanted the movie to be rooted in real magic, and although there are brief rationalizations between magic and science, the mysticism retains an air of mystery, so much that a prologue set at CERN and explaining the concept of alternate dimensions through a scientific standpoint was deleted from the movie.

>Derrickson's main inspirations were Stan Lee and Steve Ditko's 1960's run, "Into Shamballa" and "The Oath", which informed the movie's tone. Feige and Derrickson already have plans for the sequels.

>Feige believes the movie could be as important to dictate the future of the MCU as 2008's IRON MAN.

>There are four main action scenes in the movie.

>The Eye of Agamotto holds one of the Infinity Stones.

>Kaecilius has come into contact with a powerful entity that resides in the Dark Dimension

inb4 dorm only appears in the after credits scene

who would be a good voice actor for him?

See that didn't seem cringe to me. Maybe because Strange isn't making a joke. In The Avengers everyone is always cracking wise, it's lame.

>Christine Palmer was chosen as Strange's love interest in part because she was someone that could interact with him both before and after his character development and evidence how much he changed; and in part because he backstory is less convoluted than Strange's most notable love interest, half-demon sorceress Clea.

Why must it be an origin story yet again jesus fucking christ just get on with it.

>Joaquin Phoenix, Ryan Gosling and Jared Leto

suddenly I'm a lot more glad that they got cumberbatch

can't imagine any of those faggots as strange

>Mordo was made into an ally of Strange because Feige felt that the concept of Mordo was too outdated and obvious for modern audiences. Although the storyline could evolve, Mordo is solely a friend and supporter of Strange throughout the movie.

Hoping this is a floperoonie. Ideally Marvel will burn out at the same time as DC shits itself, and adults will be able to go to the movies again, the age of spandex finally over.

>>Benedict Cumberbatch was always their main choice for the role, but he initially declined due to scheduling conflicts, and there were discussions with Joaquin Phoenix, Ryan Gosling and Jared Leto before it was decided they'd delay shooting to accomodate Benedict Cumberbatch's schedule.
those are some fucking awful back up choices

beneficial cucumber does actually look good in comparison

>Kaecilius was chosen as the villain over more notable threats like Dormammu and Shuma Gorath because he is human and his backstory could be rooted into Strange to prevent the storyline from becoming too convoluted. Kaecilius neverthless serves as a gateway into these characters and concepts.

>Derrickson noted that Kaecilius is an "argumentative" villain, someone who has a particular philosophy and viewpoint about the world and debates Strange over the validity of his views. Derrickson's main inspirations were Kevin Spacey's John Doe and Heath Ledger's Joker.

Whenever I see the trailer for Doctor Strange, I think this song would be perfect for it. youtu.be/8S_R13jV11Q

Why haven't people gotten burned out on capeshit yet? I only like Iron Man,Guardians and Winter Soldier otherwise I could give a fuck what happens. I only want to see Punisher and Guardians 2 atm.

>The Ancient One's ethnicity was changed due to racial implications of the "Wise Asian Old Man" stereotype. They decided to make her into a woman of Celt descent and the latest of a long line of Ancient Ones, one of which was the classic Ancient One featured in the comics.

>Tilda Swinton was chosen for the role due to her ethereal quality. Morgan Freeman, Bill Nighy and Ken Watanabe were also reportedly considered for the role.

>Brother Voodu and Minuro make cameos in the movie as members of the Ancient One's team of mystic warriors from Kamar-Taj.

Both valid choices because comic book lore is convoluted bullshit

>Derrickson's main inspirations were Kevin Spacey's John Doe and Heath Ledger's Joker.

Haha, this'll be shite.

>Wong was absent from numerous drafts due to representing the "loyal Asian manservant" stereotype, according to Scott Derrickson. Once the Ancient One, who was still Asian in early drafts, was made into a Celtic woman, they felt comfortable enough to include Wong, but changed him from the Ancient One's servant to one of her most trusted lieutenants and the guardian of the ancient tomes of sorcery, in addition to making him one of Strange's teachers at Kamar-Taj.

>Strange and Wong's relationship is one of the cornerstones of the movie, as they slowly earn each other's respect and become fire-forged comrades.

I've always had a weird thing for Tilda. She seems like she'd be fun in bed.

>Benedict Cuminhersnatch

why

Sounds perfect to me

>According to Kevin Feige, mystics harness energies from alternate dimensions to warp reality. He basically confirmed that the Scarlet Witch possesses some amount of magic power, but due to her lack of training and control, they manifest themselves in a more chaotic manner, while Strange's are slowly refined during his training.

>The action scenes were carefully planned out to avoid the magic fight cliches of simply being throwing energy balls at each other. In addition to his mystic abilities, Strange is also an accomplish martial artist in the movie, and Feige and Derrickson have described the movie as being a "supernatural kung-fu movie" at heart.

>Feige acknowledges that several Marvel movies have presented villains with the same powerset and origin as the hero and claimed they'll be branching out into more unique antagonists, but that connecting hero and villain is an efficient way to streamline the narrative, allowing the mythology to be explored without making it too scattershot.

>There'll be no direct references to the Avengers or the other MCU movies as a whole. Feige views CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR as the only movie you need background knowledge to fully appreciate and reiterated that this and future solo movies will be as efficient as standalone pictures as they will be as part of the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe.

>The mystics of Kamar-Taj never intervened on the crises handled by the Avengers because they were simply too busy protecting the world from supernatural threats and figured the Avengers could handle the aliens and killer robots.

>Strange was not yet a sorcerer when he was mentioned in CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER. Zola's algorithm identified him as a potential threat to Hydra because he was a rich, world-famous, respected and opinated physician who would likely have opposed their regime and could become a subversive figure to the population.

>According to Feige, the movie's parallel dimensions aren't mirrored versions of Earth, but otherwordly places that human minds can barely comprehend, like the Dark Dimension and the Astral Plane.

>The Cloak of Levitation is one of the most important weapons in Strange's magic arsenal and possesses a mind of its own and has to be tamed.

>Marvel was reluctant to go forward with the vast amound of mystical concepts and objects introduced in the movie, but Derrickson used the "Harry Potter" franchise as an example of people being receptive to discovering the groundwork, the rules and the inner working of magical worlds.

>Feige played coy on the Eye of Agamotto holding one of the Infinity Stones, although it was later confirmed by the production designer. Either way, he said that it won't receive much focus on the movie and won't drive the plot.

>doctor strange
>has strange powers
POTTERY

That's actual banter though

Will there be singing?

twitter.com/salemzorro/status/781261882846052353

>Strange was not yet a sorcerer when he was mentioned in CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER. Zola's algorithm identified him as a potential threat to Hydra because he was a rich, world-famous, respected and opinated physician who would likely have opposed their regime and could become a subversive figure to the population.

That brings up an interesting point. Classic Strange's villains are so far above and beyond what most of the Marvel universe works again, they make Thanos look like a little bitch.

You think they'll depower those other dimension gods, or just never introduce them?

It won't.

They'll probably bring them in once Thanos is dealt with

Yay more capeshit

90% of all film characters are severely underpowered compared to their comic origins. Why would this be any different?

Things like this are why I don't really like Doctor Strange, you can't really fight that without a shitload of exposition and a battle of will which looks boring on screen. Maybe if they throw in some awesome art like the comics but it'll probably play out like a doctor who episode where he gives an impassioned speech at the last second and saves the day

This is flat out wrong though and if whoever is leaking this stuff is legit then they know it is too.

Mordo isn't a villain because he also hates Kaecilius but he's definitely an antagonist with his own agenda who is obviously going to break off from Strange and the sorcerers soon. This was very obvious in the early cut I saw anyway.

Why do you jaded faggots keep holding out for this? There's been multiple capeflops already and they're still the biggest box office draw and have been for approaching a decade now. They're the perfect popcorn flicks in the age of advanced computer generated imaging

>"I'm too grown up for fun, as I piss into an empty water bottle in my mom's basement"
>"when will other normies stop having fun so I feel vindicated???"

Literally kys

>Because the main character is white, supporting characters can't be
It's so sad when liberal doublethink infiltrates the mind of writers so hard that they think it's racist to have Asian characters in a movie set in Asia

>I only like Iron Man,Guardians and Winter Soldier

LMAO >>>/reddit/

Those are the only decent cape movies to come out recently though

>inb4 BvS is kino memes

faggot

problem is.... tumblr hates Cumberbatch now

This isn't a joke, it's someone mocking a noob and it was funny.

I hope this movie doesn't have any weak spots in the CGI. I've been waiting for a movie that doesn't have a few scenes that look like shit. The trailers have been looking good.

Rip off of Inception. Those poster where the were like kinda standing on a building and in the inception poster they were also kinda like standing on building. Yeah it's a rip off.

Nolan pls

You're jealous I created an Incredible and original idea from scratch with no inspiration and changed the landscape of blockbusters. This is just a cheap imitation.

>4u's
Noln it is you, I'm sorry.

Honestly, I hope this movie does well, not because I care about capeshit but because I want Mads to break out, the man deserves it.

This

You mean the film that ripped off an old ass duck tales comic?

So I guess you missed the part where they reshot the movie with Dan Harmon to add quips and RDJ cameos?

>collider.com/doctor-strange-reshoots-dan-harmon/

Script doctoring and focus grouping are the reasons why their movies are better than DC's which are reliant only on Zac Snyder's singular vision.

so in the grand scheme of things.

Thanos chose the wrong planet to fuck shit up?

>morgan freeman

Come on, be original for one time ...

....except Suicide Squad was not directed by Zack Snyder at all and focus group script doctoring is what caused all its problems.

Doctor Strange is doing the exact same thing SS did.

They changed the character because China will not, under any circumstances, release a movie that features a Tibetan character.

>Derrickson wanted the movie to be rooted in real magic, and although there are brief rationalizations between magic and science, the mysticism retains an air of mystery, so much that a prologue set at CERN and explaining the concept of alternate dimensions through a scientific standpoint was deleted from the movie.

FUCKING PRAISE

Will we one day get a DOOM movie?

That's not a quip, that's a fucking dad joke
I laughed