Were old adventure-action films the equivalent of modern blockbusters quality-wise?

Were old adventure-action films the equivalent of modern blockbusters quality-wise?

bump bump bump

Pic related?
Fucking no, it's a classic by Huston.
Schlocky shit like Cleopatra, John Wayne films not directed by Ford or Hawks maybe so.
The budgets aren't really comparable though. The old studios didn't need to be as risk averse, lots of eggs in lots of baskets as opposed to one big tent pole movie that HAS to make money

No. Sword and Sandal was.

You can't really compare, high budget films now are literally what would have been B-movies before the success of Jaws.

Why don't you watch that film so you can fucking tell yourself?

Faggot retard

What, you mean form a original opinion based on personal resonance witha work rather than just following the latest meme? You must be shrooming maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang

>hey anons I just finished this
>what did I think?

Back to your capememes kids

Kill yourself stupid fuck

This is not an action adventure film by any stretch of the imagination.

This is not an action adventure film.

Absolutely not, in the Golden Age they understood pacing, and the characters weren't a bunch of smug, quiptastic faggots like they are today.

On top of that the lack of sophisticated special effects means they had to rely on strong performances to keep the audience glued to their seats, instead of just distracting them with mindless spectacle that doesn't hold up on repeat viewings.

Even the mediocre adventure films of yesteryear are more impressive than most of the best modern blockbusters

There is a decline on film score quality as well. I agree with your post: the focus has shifted from the story/characters to the spectacle
Plus the faggot studios dont even take risks. We will be stuck on the same page for decades

Spectacle was always a focus, for example JAWS, but they were directed by good directors like Spielberg..

For example the Russos are TV directors and you can fucking tell by their lack of imagination in directing

Spectacle was not always the focus, not at all. In the Golden Age spectacle existed, sure, but it was there to further the story and even character arcs. Spectacle today is mostly purposeless drivel that exists to appease the lowest common denominator

It was during the 80's that we started to drift in that direction, and it has only gotten worse.

Most movies were made for adults back then.

>There is a decline on film score quality as well
Absolutely. Instead of classic, sweeping scores we have either generic forgettable tripe or this "pop soundtrack" bullshit that became popular in the seventies/eighties.

A lot of commodities by many different industries have followed a similar path. Cheaply made low quality products that have a limited life span

>Tfw i've been conditioned to like the super smooth computed enhanced picture quality of today and have a hard time settling into older films visually

I was the same way, I got over it by watching nothing but classic movies for a month. After that I was completely used to it and it was actually weird watching newer films

It also works for old video games

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is an A-picture drama with a major star not an action-adventure film. It's the equivalent of a modern day Oscar bait like Captain Phillips.

Modern capeshit/blockbusters are high budget versions of the B movies of the classic era. Universal horror movies, Tarzan flicks, mid-range film noir. The schlock that actually made money.

Sierra-Madre was and can be considered action-adventure. The only reason anyone thinks otherwise is because the definition of "action-adventure" has changed significantly over the years.

There were plenty of A-pictures from that time that indisputably belong in the action-adventure genre. Pic Related

>Spectacle was always a focus, for example JAWS
But Jaws is not the "always" you're talking. On the contrary it marks the beginning of the spectacular films we have today: mainstream high concept exploitation shit.

Maybe so, but the old time spectacle films by Spielberg were much better than current shit..