Film Noir, Neo Noir, whatever noir

Recommend me noir

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ninth_Gate
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Angles with filthy souls

Bound (1996)
Where the Truth Lies
The Usual Suspects (it's a good movie with or without the twist ending)
Devil in a Blue Dress (for a Google Keanu-Noir)
Johnny Handsome (Mickey Rourke is great)
Angel Heart (supernatural neo-noir, but it's fucking awesome)
Shattered (with Tom Berenger. Really good amnesia story)
The Hot Spot (one of my favorite neo noir. Not just because of the fine women, but the story, mood, imagery, etc, is great)

The Third Man

Also for Neo Noir check out Body Heat it's GOAT.

I think L.A. Confidential deserves a mention.

Watched Payback a few weeks ago, it was fucking fantastic. Based Mel Gibson.

My favorite classic noirs:
The Big Sleep
Laura
Kiss Me Deadly
Sunset Boulevard
Ace in the Hole

Favorite neo-noirs:
LA Confidential
The Ninth Gate
Blade Runner
Angel Heart
Basic Instinct

Point Blank >>>> Pay Back
I love Gibson as much as the next fag on Cred Forums but Point Blank is the supperior adaptation of the same material.

Whatever you do DO NOT watch The Two Jakes. Absolute travesty of a film bordering on a parody.

Favorites:
In a lonely place
Maltese falcon
Touch of Evil
Sunset Boulevard

Is the ninth gate really neonoir?? Seemed more like a myster/thriller to me.

Have you seen the director's cut of Payback? It's leagues ahead of the theatrical version

Agreed. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is the superior Chinatown 2

It's definitely neo-noir. Same director as Chinatown even

>Seemed more like a myster/thriller to me
Most noir overlaps with mystery or thriller

This, i was so underwhelmed by it and it more or less ruin the ending of the first one.

Really that bad, huh. I downloaded it a while ago but still haven't seen it. wat do

Delete it and watch Pic Related instead, it was actually going to be a Chinatown sequel before changing hands and adding ideas from the book "Who Censored Roger Rabbit?"

Pro tip: The toons were originally niggers in an older version of the script

Blue Velvet
Brick
Collateral
LA Confidential
Mulholland Drive

>LA Confidential
Seconding this.

>it was actually going to be a Chinatown sequel
Oh shit I remember reading about that after I watched Chinatown, it was also supposed to be about water rights or something right?

kekd @ spoiler

>The Ninth Gate is a 1999 French-Spanish-American mystery thriller film directed, produced, and co-written by Roman Polanski.

>Visually, in the neo-noir genre style, rare-book dealer Dean Corso's disheveled grooming derives from Philip Marlowe, Raymond Chandler's quintessential literary private investigator.[

>In the San Francisco Chronicle, Bob Graham said that "Depp is the best reason to see Polanski's satanic thriller" and "Polanski's sly sense of film-noir conventions pokes fun at the genre, while, at the same time, honoring it".

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ninth_Gate

I guess we're both sorta right.

But anyways, I was pretty impressed by the Ninth Gate. Had a good sense of doom surrounding the protag. The elements of supernatural were just few enough to keep the plot grounded. Although Depp's underacting contrasted quite a bit with everyone else's overacting, the characters of the world seemed believable to me.

The Maltese Falcon is the cats pajamas

Heat
Fargo
Red Rock West

I DON"T WORK FOR COONS!

This, which was actually made by an american director

Blood and Black Lace by Mario Bava

Make sure you pick up the director's cut, theatrical is a bit of a mess

I love that movie and he is my favorite director of all time, didn't really get any serious noir vibes from it though. Mario Bava is pretty much his own genre

mind is blown

Three mentions actually.
Also:

- Black Dahlia
- Dark City
- Ghost Writter
- Ninth Gate
- Sunset Blvd.
- Mulholland falls
- Touch of Evil
- Basic Instinct
- North by Northwest
- Secret window
- Rear window
- La dama de la muerte (a little unrated gem)
- Maltese Falcon
- Murder my sweet
- Blade Runner
- The 13th floor
- Mob city (TV mini series)
- Vertigo
- La muerte camina en la lluvia (another gem)
- The lady from Shanghai
- Chinatown
- Lost Highway
- Le Samurai
- Mullholland Drive
- La parte del leon (great movie)
- Barton Fink
- Night moves
- The Aura
- Hollywoodland
- Violent cop

Pic related is pretty great

>Laura

I'll second this, if only for the obvious influence on Twin Peaks

What does a film need to have in order to be noir?

You can really tell that Lynch loves classic movies, even down to the way he directs his actors and insistence on them using classical technique and none of that method acting bullshit.

based Lynch

Payback is an adaptation?

these are some good descriptors:

>shadowy
>mysterious
>obfuscating
>morally ambiguous
>dangerous women
>Urban setting

I think Alien 3 counts as scifi noir. And it's 10/10 desu sempai

In a Lonely Place is excellent. Definitely add this one to your list, OP.

>noir thread
>posts Chinatown
Noir =/= Mystery

>Black Dahlia
How is this? I know when it was first released it was critically derided. But from what I understand it's had a bit of a renaissance of late. I'm a big De Palma fan, but I've been putting off seeing this one for some time.

Does Assault on Precinct 13 coubt as noir? It sports some of the trappings of the genre.

Also Talented Mr. Ripley. Matt Damon is 10/10 in that one

It ia good just not great. Best late de Palma tebehe.

Everyone agrees that Chinatown is noir except you apparently, assuming you aren't just trolling

Recently bought a TIME magazine special on Film Noir. I'm going to dump some of the pages.

Sequel is better

Does anybody know how to rotate images on windows? I right-click the image and 'rotate left', which does rotate it, but when i upload to Cred Forums it stays in it's original

Cool, I'll be monitoring.
I would personally do it in MS Paint. Right click image file > open with... > Paint. Then rotate it and save it. It's a pain and I don't even know it would work, but there you go. Good luck.

LIME?

Brick is an all-time favorite, but it's more a subversive parody than anything and a little pleb-bait.

Can't stop loving it though.

It worked, cheers

show the pic of Robert Mitchum, man was so boss. He would smoke weed and pig out on munchie food on set, did not give a fuck

Alright and here's the table of contents. If you guys want something that I didn't post please tell me and i'll upload it.

Sure, give me a few minutes.

It is pretty good and gets lot's of element right.
It's not on the level of L.A confidential though.

The academics blur the line quite a bit about what a movie needs to be considered noir because most accept noir is not exactly a genre.

While some forms and archetypes are kind of defined some are not present on most films.
We all think about the hard detectives when thinking on noir films when in truth some times it's about boxers, some times about writers and so on.

Most of the time it is agreed that this elements are present:

- The city as a living and corrupt thing. A character on itself. Bbut again, not always. Sleepy hollow while not technically noir presents many noir like elements including the murders, the virgin and the evil women, the detective, the culprit and even the corruption but it is a town, not a city. It is a technicality but many would argue that Sleepy Hollow is a noir film. Something similar happens on Touch of evil. It's a town on the border but no one would ever tell you Touch of evil is not a noir.

The lighting is usually hard lighting inherited from the expressionism on older noir and good neo noir but it's not present on all noir.

What is usually present despise characters being writers, boxers, cops, whatever, is murder... at least one murder and lot of human darkness.

That and dangerous women. Usually contrasted with a virginal one but the good one is not always present.

Usually there is also a pyrrhic ending of some sort where the main character kind of gets his objective but it costs too much or it's been twisted to bring him unhappiness or plain simply changes nothing despise of all the sacrifices.

oh fuck off

I will make a Noir film sometime the next 10 years. I hope you will like it

I will be dead in 5.

That's too bad

If LA confidential came out this year you fags would discard it as reddit

Also it's not even very good

>that expression
He is literally the coolest actor who ever lived, being a badass rebel just came naturally to him. James Dean is a little wuss by comparison

(You)

It's obvious Michael Madsen spent his entire career trying to ape Mitchum.

WHO WATCHES THE WATCHMEN
H
O

W
A
T
C
H
E
S

T
H
E

W
A
T
C
H
M
E
N

That magazine's a pretty cool find user.

I'm an /x/-phile and a few years ago found almost a hundred issues of "X Factor" magazine (a fortnightly mag about the paranormal, govt. cover ups, futurology etc) for about £3 at a charity shop. I've considered doing for /x/ what you did for us and dumping some screencaps but I don't really have the camera for it yet, and worry about copyright infringement.

One 1998 issue has an article on memetics, written just after Richard Dawkins had coined the term "meme." It even touches on computer memes, but only with regards to viruses.

Also what are people's thoughts on Coen brother's noir: "The Man Who Wasn't There" and "Blood Simple" and "No Country"? It's been a while but here are my thoughts.

I remember that TMWWT didn't quite do it for me. It some good character development but it felt empty or somthing.

I think I watched Blood Simple before i got seriously into 50s noir, so maybe I didn't fully 'get' it, but I remember really loving the.
how will we know it was you user?

Thanks for your post.

The Big Lebowski is a hilarious parody of noir conventions

I don't think you'll run into any problems posting stuff on 4chins. Especially from what seems to be an obscure magazine.

If you dont want to use a phone camera, try and find a library or friend that has a scanner you can use for free. You should do it, feels good to contribute to a board for once instead of just posting my shitty opinion.

Also this stuff about memetics is interesting

"The meme, analogous to a gene, was conceived as a "unit of culture" (an idea, belief, pattern of behaviour, etc.) which is "hosted" in the minds of one or more individuals, and which can reproduce itself, thereby jumping from mind to mind. Thus what would otherwise be regarded as one individual influencing another to adopt a belief is seen as an idea-replicator reproducing itself in a new host. As with genetics, particularly under a Dawkinsian interpretation, a meme's success may be due to its contribution to the effectiveness of its host."

Damn how could I have forgotten about Lebowski... The one noir convention it did really well was leaving you completly confused with what actually happened, who did what, what everybodies motives were and did the hero actually accomplish anything.

>how will we know it was you user?

I'll sneak in a subtle "big guy for you" or a power stance. So watch out