I just finished Star Trek Beyond

I just finished Star Trek Beyond

did they just give up on the plot and the characters half way through or what was up with that
the plot didn't make all that much sense, neither did the villain as a character and the aspects of him that actually did where severely underdeveloped

and the fucking beastie boys, again? really?

Why did this happen to Star Trek. I watched the Darmok episode again today for the 25th anniversary and it still holds up as one of the best storylines in all of sci-fi even though the monster sfx is kinda dumb.

What happened to making good shit full of substance that doesn't treat the audience like children?

baddies should've been klingons desu
as it is the stakes felt too low
I dug the marooned-on-a-strange-planet-and-split-up-in-small-groups angle though

they did loose their trillion dollar spaceship

no profit to be aquired there human

>did they just give up on the plot and the characters
The movie tried to give time to everyone and as a result of doing that while introducing a few new characters that needed screen time it just became too bloated.

>the plot didn't make all that much sense, neither did the villain as a character and the aspects of him that actually did where severely underdeveloped

I disagree that he didn't make sense. He was supposed to be the antithesis of what Starfleet is. A man who believes violence and war are the natural order and that by going against that Starfleet is just dooming every race that joins them. I do agree that this wasn't explored enough though.

>and the fucking beastie boys, again? really?

I kinda liked it, how it was in the scene and how it was set up and I kinda hate that I do.

facepalmed when they used the awsome power of the beastie boys to defeat the swam... it was just cheese especially when the big space station took over and it kicked in like some sort of music video

it reminded me of "kiss save santa" but it was real

I just watched this shit. Its not fucking star trek, its every hollywood cliche line with aliens.

who /supteevee/ here

It was FUN. CLASSIC CAMPY. great action. Some heart and reverence. Very good.

Would have been much better movie if:
>Bones: "Is this classical music?"
>Spock: "Yes, doctor, I believe these are the Beastie Boys"

I watched it today too. My complain is that it's like a Fast &Furious in space. Too fucking many action while in the shows are barely any.

I'm so surprised that those of you who watched it on a computer monitor didn't enjoy it, whereas most of us who saw it in theaters did. Weird.

I'm still marathoning the torrent download.

No spoilers please.

Fuck you, Sabotage is a great fucking song.
Movie was shit though. Nice looking explosions but shit everything else.

I enjoyed it, it was fun but fun is taboo around here

you must be easily impressed by these sick visuals... you are the target market senpai

ADHD numales needing explosions. I'm still waiting for a West Wing style scifi drama, and I don't think it's ever going to happen.

>that gay scene with Zulu

I fucking keked, was a pretty bland movie to be honest with you

if you can only watch star trek in the theatre then you know that it's not star trek anymore

It's kinda the whole film industry bro

>not a red scum back communist

but when executives of a company try to grasp on to shit that people like and emulate it, this happens.

Same thing thats happening to the video game.
Exactly the reason why every game that comes out is Cod Lite

Its capitalism pure and simple.
Its a business exactly the same as the company that owns the trucks whom vacuum shit out of portapotty's.

Everyone is in it to make money, and when one thing developes popularity the rest of the industry tries to suck at the teet of the cash cow, until someone elses innovation creates new popularity

repeat ad infitum

McCoy: Sabotage?
Kirk: I say "sabotaege"

I never saw a single Star Trek Episode only the JJ Abhrams one. I cannot compare it to any of the series or movies, but I still found them interesting... and bland. Both are a 6/10 (Altough I liked the first one a bit better)

I only saw the third one in theater because I really like the Director. The Fast and Furious series went from Guilty pleasure to straight up fun because of him.

I liked Star Trek Beyond, and what I heard it feels like a long Star Trek Episode. I may check out the new series.

What else can you expect for JJ.
Just like the last two movies, purely made to sell tickets. Severely lacking in content. At least I can still watch all the old series on netflix.

JJ didn't direct this

It's a fun movie but it's kinda depressing Star Trek in spirit is basically dead, though Enterprise already started that. I have the absolute lowest hopes for the new series too.

Really rolled my eyes at the Sabotage bit, even though I love that song.

I know I sound like a huge dick for saying it, but the Universe killed that russian dude with a freak accident for being a total waste of space on the big screen didn't it? Jesus fucking Christ he was insufferable.

>It's him
Idris fucking Elba, lol really?

Oh lmao, from OP's description it sounded like he did. I had no interest in this one after the last two.

I actually enjoyed Chris Pine and Anton Yelchin together, their on screen chemistry was nice.

But I agree, Idris played the same character he always plays: the low talking always serious mumbler. Heimdall from Thor, his character in Luther, I can't think of a role where he's really acted much. I would've preferred the black guy from Blood Diamond, The Island, and Guardians, if they just HAD to have a nigger villain

It's the director of the Fast and Furious movies, so the quality that we got was actually surprising. It at least had various references to TOS and ENT. Could've been much worse.

Agreed, I torrented it on a whim and still paid too much. The lack of plot, character development, and the wasted casting of Idris Elba all came together to make this a shit movie.

Why did the Yorktown base have suicide booths?

I rated it 1 star on letterboxd, that'l teach the fuckers to not mess up star trek ever again.

Did you soil the theatre with discarded popcorn and spilt coke too?

Theatre? You really think i would pay for this shit?

Wrath of Khan had explosions and space battles but still managed to have a reasonable story. JJ is simply lazy.

>enterprise is the main ship
>gets its ass raped in every movie
>entire the franklin

I actually liked that ship. the designe both inside and outside where nice.