Pacific Rim

Why is this film so good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uQrj2M-2Uiw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because it looks 9/10

godzilla looks like shit

Because Del Toro

It shouldn't have been. I watched it with my niece and liked it in spite of being in a state of pre-hating it.

Where can I watch Pacific Rim online?

> Sword engaged

10/10

It's the perfect mix of stupid and awesome to sell it's daft premise

Because there are memorable momentsbfrom it

Such as?

That one scene.

You know the one.

>spend most of movie fighting toe to toe with kaiju
>"oh hey, know that sword we have that totally cuts these fuckers in half? maybe we should use it"
>suddenly can just cut'em all in half

Kaiju blood is super toxic - they only start cutting them as a last resort...

nvm found it ;)

The main robot using the tanker as a weapon. The sword reveal. The russian mech's weird hodgepodge design. The weird intestinal quality of the portal.

Lots of little great moments that made it stick out.

A lot better than gayreth edwads white knight faggot lizard movie

MEW was so racist in that movie

It isn't
it was ok

What I wouldn't give to see MEW in yellowface

It's not.

The bit when the big robo steps over the bride instead of walking straight through it is a nice touch too

1. The design of both the robots and the kaijus is really well done, every jager has a very special look and weapons, making more distinguishable and have more character. Such as the Japanese jager having a smooth design and advanced technology, but the Russian jager using a simpler form, and brute force instead of tech advantages.

2. The human parts are okay. But more importantly, they are not very memorable. In this case, it's a good thing, because if they were really bad, or really unrealistic, the movie would be remembered mostly because of that. The only thing i remember from transformers 2 is how unspeakably shit the parts were that featured shia and... about every other human actor.

3. The sound design is fucking top tier.

4. Leatherback is my kaijufu

I really like the design of the fast (australian?) robot design.

Also, Idris Elba was a bad ass.

are you a chink?

I've never considered myself to have yellow fever but Mako did some miraculous things for my dick

Because it's rad as FWUARK
>Boatsword
>Music
>Varied looks for Jaegers, with Cherno looking like a giant lego robot and Striker Eureka looking legit like something I built in Armoured Core when I was in high school
>the right amount of human drama, giant robot battles and over-the-top mixed in with seriousness and humourous moments

It's essentially the closest to a great mecha anime we'll ever likely to get.

Seconded and I'm worse than you, I flat-out do not find 99% of asians attractive.

solid movie with great action brought down by shitty boring main actors. ron perlman should've been the main character. should've ended with charlie day screaming and going wildcard as he sacrifices himself to close the portal or whatever

>why is it so good?
It's not. It's only half good. The fight scenes between the giant fucking robots and giant monsters were for the most part fantastic. Everything else was shit.

Because it was made by people who actually know what they were doing and out of love.

>no cynicism
>no shaky cam
>made by an actually talented director

These 3 things alone raise it far above nearly all other blockbusters

Had a great soundtrack

Do you think there's a lot of cynicism in recent block busters? Why would that make a film worse?

>no shaky cam

Holy shit, thank you. I understand how ever since Bourne people have wanted to shake up the view to make things seem "visceral" (and to cover shoddy choreography) but the simple fact that the movie SHOWS you the monsters and robots made such a refreshing difference. Well-done action speaks for itself; it does not require absurd camera movement.

Good music
Good effects and visuals
Memes aren't forced
Film doesn't take itself too seriously
Self-referential tropes
Eva homage
Kaiju were cool
Stupid but fun stuff like ELBOW ROCKET and STROIKA YUREEKA

Also

>China and Russia to the rescue!!!
>die instantly
>white Americans/Australians with Japanese sidekick save everyone.

This movie is Cred Forums's ultimate wish.

fuckin this

>oh shit flying kaiju
>you know what would be cool, a giant sw....
>SWORD ENGAGE

It isn't and del Toro has only made one even slightly good movie, that being Blade 2 which still pretty much sucks

The kaiju adapted to whatever the humans used. It's like in video games when people only pull out the big gun when they really need it, except instead of limited ammo it just won't be as useful next time.

Can any of you remember any dialogue that wasn't in a fight scene?

easy question OP, its not

can remember the dialogue in the beginning

>China and Russia
>not utterly incompetent

Why is it whenever some industrial equipment cripples someone or they falldown an escalater shaft it's always Russia or China?

Ron Perlman gets eaten by a giant monster

>WE ARE CANCELLING THE APOCALYPSE!

There was some good dialog, 7/10

My only gripe is setting two of the major fights in black, featureless ocean. I understand the in-universe reason they fight them outside of population centers, but the fact that they don't have anything to protect really drives the stakes down and removes a lot of the tension.

Also the different Jaeger designs would be cool if they actually had any screentime spent doing anything but the same punches AmeriJaeger does

>Wondering why two of the largest population centers with a history of despotic and genocidal leaders wouldn't value human life much

Which makes it realistic and not just a wet dream

It firmly believes robots punching monsters is awesome.

Or this.

Otachi had no limbs free when they used the sword

Rinko a cute

Loved this.

it has a pre-2000 spirit

''DUDE TURN YOUR BRAINF OFF LMAO'' The movie

I wish I could enjoy flicks like that but unfortunately I have a good taste.

>tfw this film would have been perfect if Mako was the main character
>tfw that scene with her as a child running from the kaiju wouldn't've been the most kino opening

Dude, all four main jaegers had clearly unique fighting styles.
>Striker being super fast and agile
>Crimson going all judo on kaiju ass
>Cherno smashing through overwhelming force

>working on a pacific rim animated series and more comic books you guys just wait

fuck you del toro ;_;

>movie only makes bank because of China
>lol black lead for the sequel

Well they fucked up

Boyega is producing the sequel

The guy from Attack the Block?

the guy from S-T-A-R W-A-R-S

YOU AND I ARE DRIFT COMPATIBLE

Also
CRAP! EVEN THE CRAP!

Do you have the Striker Eureka gif? You know the one

it had a large number of cast members, and left each character to do what they were good at.

charlie day was comedic relief
perlman was spooky
elba was dramatic
hunnam was a likable hero

a lot of directors would have cut a character or too, and forced their plot elements on another

>When Gypsy Danger punches right through a skyscraper, only to lightly tap a desk to set off the metal ball thing

>When the Aussie's were about to get their shit pushed in and Gypsy Danger comes drops in from from being carried by helicopters. "KICK HIS ARSE"

>Chernobyl Alpha's piston punch, getting pumped up, even when the Russians died

>The MC provoking Iris Elba to let him wood sword fight the Jap chick

>The list goes on.

I haven't seen this movie since it was in theaters. I really need to buy it.

>hunnam was a likable hero
>likable hero
Fuck no, the protag was the weak link and he came across as an asshole even if he wasn't a cocky cunt like the Straya dude

>When Gypsy Danger punches right through a skyscraper, only to lightly tap a desk to set off the metal ball thing
They did something similar when Gypsy was firing plasmas at the big kaiju in Hong Kong and got pushed over the dock until they bumped against a post at the very edge

I agree. I like the actor, he was good in Sons of Anarchy, but he felt so miscast in Pacific Rim, not to mention unnecessary.

why do they need two people?
why don't they nuke the things?
why didn't the ayy lmaos send the big guys first?
why did they think a wall could stop giant ass godzillas?
why didn't they use the sword earlier?

>why do they need two people?
Because it's cool and allows for a physical representation of an emotional ting
>why don't they nuke the things?
Kaiju Blue
>why didn't the ayy lmaos send the big guys first?
They didn't think they'd need to, when they figured out what the humans were doing they went all out. Dude, watch the movie again, that's what Charlie Day's plotline was all about.
>why did they think a wall could stop giant ass godzillas?
Politicians are dumb dumbs
>why didn't they use the sword earlier?
Kaiju Blue

I tried to be so hype for this movie and ultimately my expectations were set way too high by hype from the Internet Hype Train. I remember sitting in the cinema very consciously becoming aware that I wasn't feeling the excitement I was hoping.

I'm not terribly fond of any of the Jaeger or Kaiju designs, they're perfectly functional and that's about it. Characters were fine, MC was horribly boring, Strayans annoyed me, Idris Elba was for once not a meme and the Mako chick was a qt.

I honestly think it's del Toro's weakest film. I can see why people love it, but it just seems so out there from his other stuff. Elements are there, just seem out of place.

watch the movie. one person controlling a giant robot was too much physically for someone to handle
watch the movie, they did and failed
watch the movie, they were just the scouts
because they are retarded
watch the movie, Kaiju Blue

it's the closest thing we'll ever get to a live action EVA movie.

Right/Left dichotomy like the brain

They nuke the portal, but I assume they worried about fallout

Maybe the portal wasn't big enough?

Bureaucrats

Dramatic effect

One person can't take the strain of piloting the robot.

If you nuke a kaiju attacking a city, you destroy the city.

They're fighting an attritional war.

No kaiju had attacked a wall before.

It's a coup de grace weapon.

>Elba
>Meme
>ever

Wew lad.

He's a meme, but really good in Pacific Rim.

It's a fucking live action mecha movie, with a hollywood budget behind it.
I'm actually surprised this was made only now.

>I'm actually surprised this was made only now.
Considering it had one of the best fantasy directors alive behind it and only barely made money should make you not very surprised it took this long.

Because del taco cared about the material he drew inspiration from

Companies make flops all the time, are you saying a genderbent ghostbusters idea sounds more appealing/profitable to you than a live action mecha movie

No I'm not saying that at all. Both sound pretty risky - not Monster Trucks risky though.

Jesus christ.

Don't worry, they can't possibly top John Carter

Del Taco is a true patrician nerd

makes sense when he makes a love letter to Kaiju genre it is good

anyone got that pic of the shit he keeps in his home?

RIP Cherno

Gone too soon

Monster Trucks is expected to lose at minimum $120 million bro.

youtube.com/watch?v=uQrj2M-2Uiw

>Film doesn't take itself too seriously
Someone forgot to warn the leads and elba. Also, the scientists that it wasn't a fucking sunday morning cartoon.

>youtube.com/watch?v=uQrj2M-2Uiw
wat
Who thought this was worth making? Someone at Paramount is hitting the crazy juice hard.

>wat
>Who thought this was worth making? Someone at Paramount is hitting the crazy juice hard.

The ceo's kid.
He's also stepping down over it.
Vice ceo is stepping down for unrelated reasons.

Basically, they came up with the idea in development, and threw some money at it, whatever? it's in research mode. something good might come of it.
And then it picked up momentum until basically.

This shit had over 100 million dollars in budget and everyone chose to ignore the fact it was being made because it literally got too big to stop the train.

It was supposed to be an animated movie and then it was live action because...???

When Godzilla finally got around to the fighting it also avoided shaky cam

This did not need spoiler tags

Kaiju blue, established in the opening setup. Their blood leaking into the environment is like an oil spill x10. So they usually use blunt force. Cutting it with the sword was absolute last resort

Also it was sick so who fuckin cares pussy

Watch the movie

Only the action scenes were mint. But even then they still fucked it.

>Two of the remaining jaegers are the most interesting visually and unqiue pilots.
>both proceed to get fucked within a few minutes of combat

So disappointed.

I have it.

Thatwas awesome, love this movie

their blood is acid

We need more mechakino desu

Only saw it when it came out on bluray. Wish I saw it in the cinemas, might watch it again.

>Leatherback is my kaijufu
Mutavore or gtfo

They use the sword in space and underwater where the toxic kaiju blood spreading across the city wouldn't be an issue.

Gipsy didn't have a sword until it was rebuilt by the chinks, Raleigh didn't know Gipsy had a sword because he was grounded after the first failed calibration exercise and never fully briefed on its capabilities, he didn't learn about it from Mako until the very end of the fight because she was deferring to his judgement since he has real combat experience.

It's the first weapon they use in the following battle.

Only flaw with this movie is the Russian and Chinese mechs needed to do more.

I would have had the battle against the Gorilla and Bat Kaijus done almost entirely by them, but the suits get too wrecked in the fight so to close the portal they need Mako and mr. abs jager