How a Ugandan director is making great action movies on $200 budgets

washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2016/09/28/how-a-ugandan-director-is-making-great-action-movies-on-200-budgets/

Anybody seen one of these all the way through? The trailers are always entertaining, but I wonder how that translates to actually sitting through an hour long movie.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=64m58R9F7eY
youtube.com/watch?v=iXYmFqEkCGQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Most Nollywood/Ugandan/low-budget Arian movies are quite shit, with a lot of really dull stretches to get through. There's one that's supposed to be a sci-fi action horror that opens with a 10 minute long scene with a woman arguing with her daughter about taking out the trash. The trailers highlight the most entertaining parts of the film, when the bulk of it is just filler. Who Killed Captain Alex? is pretty good though.

>There's one that's supposed to be a sci-fi action horror that opens with a 10 minute long scene with a woman arguing with her daughter about taking out the trash.
Hah, fucking hell.

Thanks for the reply. That's kind of what I suspected.

>The trailers highlight the most entertaining parts of the film, when the bulk of it is just filler.

How dare they copy hollywood like that!

That sounds unironically superb. I hate the cookie-cutter three act bullshit of modern Hollywood.

To be fair they improved quite a lot from Who killed Captain Alex and tebatsasula or something like that.

Its incredible. The production values skyrocketed and the direction is much better.

>There's one that's supposed to be a sci-fi action horror that opens with a 10 minute long scene with a woman arguing with her daughter about taking out the trash.
That's pure kino you pleb

They're not meeting diversity quotas. I demand to see white and jewish actors or i will deem them all racists.

WHO KILL CAPTAIN ALEX???! WAYAYAYAYA ACTION

TW-TW-TW-TWANTY SIXTEEN

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""great"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

PAHTZ WUN TOO AND TREEEEEEEEEE

assume there is a curve of production value of their movies, how soon will they reach the plateau?

WERE IT NOT FOR THE LAWS OF THIS LAND

You just had to hadnt you?

>great action movies

Are people really pretending this, or are they just trying to be nice and encouraging?

What's their endgame?

I had more fun watching the 8 minutes trailer of Bad Black than any other Hollywood action shit this year.

Including heavy weights like Civil War and Suicide Squad.

Dollar per dollar, pound per pound, the nigger does a better job with 200 bucks than Disney with 200 millions.

Not seeing the point of this article, how is he different than the million other youtube fags out there?

I think they want to achieve at least the level quality of cheap 80's movies like Seagal's,van damme's and other class b actors. And I see them reaching that point in 10 years.

I guess I see your point, but other foreign action movies still blow them out of the water. Raid and Ong Bak are still miles above it.

But that stuff is purely imitative of the Hollywood model, this is distinctively its Own Thing.

Uniqueness in my book is not inherently positive. These movies just aren't fun to watch, there is good cheese and bad cheese out there and I think it falls into the latter category. I can appreciate the effort and dedication, but that's all.

>Uniqueness in my book is not inherently positive.

You forgot the developing African states bonus

>From director of Blood Diamond

>From victims of Blood Diamond

Anyone have the SISTER YOUR BREASTS ARE VERY BIG webm?

Most film people couldn't make one of these trailers for $200.

youtube.com/watch?v=64m58R9F7eY

how many actions in this one?

>and tebatsasula or something like that.
>To be fair they improved quite a lot from Who killed Captain Alex and tebatsasula or something like that.
Shit. I watched the trailer for Bad Black and you are right. It's actually bearable. I couldn't stand Captain Alex. But I can stand this trailer.

I will say that I didn't expect the narrator in each of them, shit he talks pretty much the entire movie instead of the characters

$200? Hmm, I'm guessing not everyone is getting paid. But if they are, probably just a couple cents a day.

They have one jew yorker in their movies. You can also go and be in them.

>What's their endgame?

I expect the income per capita of the region to rise, and people's living standard and education and taste to improve. They begin to find Captain Alex too shitty for their newly acquired taste.

With their better theater and home equipment and better connection to the outside world, foreign movies become accessible to people of the region.
Wakaliwood Studios then has to face competitions from the top by Hollywood and from affordable section by Bollywood.

As they are forced to upgrade their production values, they find the minimum wage and the cost of everything in the country too high for them to make movies.

Basically the middle income trap of cinema

It helps as I despise their original dialogue. Or languages. Or voices.

Why do these poor africans have such nice cars?

He's awesome, would like to have him narrate capeshit.

heh

Nigger kino general?
youtube.com/watch?v=iXYmFqEkCGQ

I don't get it. Anyone who has access to YouTube must also has access to latest capeshits, Bollywood, Chinese, Hong Kong, Latin American, South African...

How can they even compete?

By being silly and fun

I wonder how many AIDS deaths the African casting couch has racked up.

Then they also have to compete with USA Youtubers, European Youtubers, Black Youtubers...

>youtubers
>ever producing anything good or interesting

Star>Stunt guys>crew>post production
50 50 50 50

Language barrier.
Not even South African movies speak their dialect

ye but they'll never be able to make something that looks like this for that little

>inb4 they hire some big guy from the village and rub mud and rocks on him
>The Batman vs The Superman-Morning of Jury!

This reminds me of these ninja movies I had a brief obsession with. They were like Mexican crime dramas or something and they just edited in random scenes of white guys in ninja suits having ridiculous duels.