Why?

Why?

Why was everything thats supposed to be old brand spanking new? Wasn't the empire completely dissolved at this point? The 'remnants' of the empire should have been a smaller group of many different alien species, all brandishing the imp flag but wearing their own custom armor, some incorporating stormtrooper armor, others not so much.

The rebels, er.. I mean 'resistance' should have looked completely different than the old rebels, as they are backed by the Repiblic and no longer the rag tag underdogs they were in the OT.

The only x-wing should have been Poe flying his dad's old one or something.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=71wFYKrIm2g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>The 'remnants' of the empire should have been a smaller group of many different alien species
>The only x-wing should have been Poe flying his dad's old one or something.

>alien species

The Empire was racist as hell against aliens. You didn't notice how there were no aliens in the imperial military in the OT?

Because in order to invoke Nazi imagery you have to have everything be clean, tidy and orderly.

>be part of the ruling government
>call yourself the resistance
Bravo JJ

>as they are backed by the Repiblic

Nope. They're not supported by the new republic.

because nostalgia dumb ass

This movie confused the shit out of me. I don't understand why it's still empire vs rebels with different names given what happened at the end of ROTJ.

A little explanation for what's going on in the galaxy would have been nice. The "boring space politics" in the prequels didn't confuse 10 year old me.

Also, "i need that map, get the droid!"

>see the droid

"Call in the airstrike!"

I seriously want to beat up anyone who thinks this was a good movie

Yes they are. Did Leia just turn her back on the republic or what?

She did. Han also turned his back on his family and Luke and everyorne and became a smuggler again for no reason.

Fuck the old EU was masterfully written compared to this shit.

>JJ gave us a lame rehash of ANH instead of the New Republic doing space counter-terrorism against an Imperial/Sith insurgency

>Ywn fight for a natsoc empire in space

Why even carry on with anything famalamborghinis?

They did.

>Republic BTFO Empire, doesn't consider it a threat
>Empire slinks away and rebuilds
>Resistance is formed of those who believe Empire will recover

I hate how poorly the whole political situation was explained. I blame the people who cried so much over the political scenes in the prequels. Now to satisfy them we get a movie that aggressively avoids the kind kind of exposition that would really be useful.

This is never explained in the movie.

I have had to piece this together myself, but from what I understand the original Empire collapse. Considering this covered thousands of planets, it was never going to transition until a single new power structure. Instead, it splintered into different factions, much like Alexander the Great's empire. The hardcore loyalists to the Emperor managed to consolidate their forces and maintain control of a smaller section. Many of the liberal planets formed the New Republic. Many of them probably just went independent. The New Republic had its own freedom and wasn't really interested in entering a new war against the First Order. However some of its members felt sympathetic to the cause and fund the Rebels unofficially. The First Order is trying to wipe out the New Republic and regain all of its former territory. Thus we have the situation where the Rebels, not the New Republic, are at war with the First Order.
I agree that the film doesn't do a very good job at actually explaining the existing power dynamics. It would have been easier if they just went with the Republic vs Empire, and throw in a brief line about how the old Empire split in half.

>Why did the Empire need to find Luke?
>Why did the rebels? It's not like they needed him to blow up death star part 3
>How did pic related gradually become more threatening and creepy while Kylo became more of a joke?

Jj just couldnt get it through his fat nose and head, nobody wants to see the old movies again. We want to see a new movie that goes forward from the OT and builds off them. Not hard to do.

This isn't true. Overwhelming majority of the audiences loved the film and how it was a retelling of ANH.

Cred Forums and the REALLY hardcore nerds were the ones who hated it.

Member berries

Leia says she got tired of all the politics of the Republic so she formed the Resistance to move with actions. This implies the Republic isn't actively pursuing TFO.

TFO's new weapon is built in secrecy, and their first use of it is to cut off the head of the snake, implying they are operating under the radar.

You can infer all of this pretty easily.

The fact you have to piece it together from vague info shows how badly written the movie is.

Overwhelming majority of normie cattle liked it.

C'mon, give me another rehash of ANH. I'll like it if it isn't written like the viewer has down's syndrome

I had the same problem. Before TFA, I've only been lost by the plots of 3 other movies:

1.) End of Evangelion (I watched it before the anime...)

2.) Primer (still confusing)

3.) One of the Resident Evil movies I saw in theaters without seeing any of the others so I had no idea who anyone was.

Stop eating up all disney's bullshit, there's no way anyone could build a starkiller in secret.

I was pissed that they made all these new fucking aliens. It didn't feel like SW, it felt like guardians of the galaxy.

There was like two recognizable aliens in seven; one was some obscure creature that didn't get screen time that belonged to a race from the cartoon (Zuvio), and the other was Chewbacca. That's it.

Star Wars would have been stronger if it had a more familiar alien presence. They're doing this thing where they have a character with a personality and they create a race to compliment it, i.e. old Asian fortune-telling lady with beady eyes and a really tiny frame.

And for fuck's sake, show a Mandalorian somewhere in the cantina scene getting a drink or flirting with a twiliek or something. Hell, even make that stupid tentacle monster tear a mando to pieces on the ship. I think the only mention of mandos is the hidden flag as the crew walk into Asian lady's compound. It worries me that an organization as extensive of the mandos still are nowhere to be found. Did they exist for over 5000 years only to die out at that time frame - right after a moment of peace?

It was made to appeal to the lowest common denominator and reused the most famous imagery from the classic trilogy, who cares if none of it made sense? Then they all forgot about it a week later and the nerds that kept this shit going all all these years were left hating it.

>I was pissed that they made all these new fucking aliens.

This. For all the time they spent trying to make it look like the old movies they populated it with shit that looked like it belonged in dr who

Yes there is, galaxies are immense.

If you don't have coordinates and no information leaks it's just another star in the sky.

Shouldn't the galaxy being going through a massive as fuck depression with the destruction of the 2 deathstars and the not deathstar?

All that equipment and people had to come from somewhere and it would have cost a lot but no one noticed or cared

Secrecy isn't so much an issue due to the size of the galaxy.

The real issue is the resources. EU made it clear that the first and second death stars were massive logistical undertakings that required a significant part of the empire's massive resources.

"First Order" builds something like 50 times bigger without problem.

>galaxies are immense

Well yeah, i was taught this in kindergarten too.

I was also taught that our galaxy is probably not heavily populated. The star wars one is.

If we can see planets far as fuck away, someone on star wars would notice a planet with a big glowing hole in it.

Because the Republic didn't give a shit about them.

The manpower is stolen from planets in raids like you see at the beginning of the film. They brainwash the troops so they certainly wouldn't tell anyone. Guiding all of it behind the curtains they have a Sith lord who has a degree of prescience like all of them seem to.

As a huge fan of Star Wars and someone who really loved this movie, I do agree it was a terrible choice on their part not giving any context to the politics and factions. It has been explained a bit in some of the books at this point though, particularly Bloodline, Lost Stars, and Aftermath. Basically, the Empire got their dicks kicked in once and for all at Jakku one year after Endor, then the remaining fleet and Generals/Admirals/Moffs who were still fanatical left in secret to hide out in the unknown regions. They spent 30 years trying to secretly rebuild their forces while the New Republic took over the galaxy. Leia ended up discovering they were out there while investigating crime syndicates and tried to get the Senate to muster a military force to counter them but no one would listen so she gathered what friends and allies she could to set up the Resistance to fight them.

I think TFA really dropped the ball by going even more nazi. The OT Empire wasn't 100% nazis, it was an amalgam of various imperialist societies taking cues from not just the nazis but colonial Britain and Japan as well. I mean, it's an american movie. Yanks never pass up on the chance to shit on failed empires.

We can't really see planets farther than our solar system, just their effects on star light.

In Star Wars you wouldn't travel to a system unless you had a reason to go there, and it's reasonable to assume there are systems that have been explored and forgotten for their uselessness. One such system is Dantooine.

Why was there still a rebellion?

Except it'd take thousands of years for the light from that giant glowing hole to reach other planets...

*Dagoba, not Dantooine

Yoda's hideout.

they only brainwashed kids and it's stupid to think that anyone who came in contact with the first order with joined up or were killed. lots of people would have alerted the republic.

When did you become a fan of star wars user?

Pretty much the minute I was born. I've loved it my entire life.

Why?

Why was everything thats supposed to be old brand spanking new? Wasn't Germany completely dissolved at this point? The 'remnants' of Germany should have been a smaller group of many different European races, all brandishing the old German flag but wearing their own custom uniforms, some incorporating the old German uniforms, others not so much.

the most famous Nazi iconography in the OT was from the rebellion, not the Empire

youtube.com/watch?v=71wFYKrIm2g

>the greatest and most influential woman director of all time, Leni Riefenstahl, was a nazi

>Star Wars creator George Lucas sought to make the Galactic Empire aesthetically and thematically similar to Nazi Germany and to appear to be fascist.[2]

It's not stupid, because it's a fantasy film, and bad guys can get away to fight another day.

Even if the odd story arose about The Order pillaging worlds there's no reason the Republic would launch a galaxy wide hunt for them when they're sitting pretty on the ruins of the Empire. Again, Leia points out it's too choked up in politics to do anything about it.

How old are you?

But they didn't build it it secret. When they are getting ready to attack Death Star 10.0 Leia just pulls up a complete schematic of the entire planet weapon.

While i disliked the movie, they made it a plot point that the Republic didn't support the ""Resistance"" and were actively trying to absorb the 'Imperial Remnants' into the Republic through diplomacy.

It's stupid though because they wiped out any interesting conflict that would come from it and just made it Original Trilogy 2.0, it's as if in the Phantom Menace they immediately wiped out the republic and installed the Empire. Fuck Star Wars man.

>they made it a plot point that the Republic didn't support the ""Resistance"" and were actively trying to absorb the 'Imperial Remnants' into the Republic through diplomacy.

When was that in the movie?

>They made it a plot point that the Republic didn't support the ""Resistance"" and were actively trying to absorb the 'Imperial Remnants' into the Republic through diplomacy.
What the fuck are you talking about? There's absolutely no mention to any of this. Even my retarded ass friend was laughing at the fact that they call themselves the resistance.

How did you manage to love this shit when it doesn't fit with the previous 6?

which is definitely there, you also have WW1 german helmet design on the uniforms of the stormtroopers, the management of the first death star is entirely british and functions in a very bureaucratic way. It's not just nazi iconography, like TFA is. Officers don't wear SS jackets and uniforms like Hux does. You don't see red banners flying everywhere, Vader never yells at a legion of his troops flapping his arms about, the troops never roman salute, etc.

>JJ made Lucas look subtle

So invoke post-Appomattox Confederate holdout imagery instead. I'm sick of every bad guy being a not-zi.

Why?

Why was everything thats supposed to be old brand spanking new? Wasn't the Roman Empire completely dissolved at this point? The 'remnants' of the Roman Empire should have been a smaller group of many different European races, all brandishing the old Roman flag but wearing their own custom uniforms, some incorporating the old Roman uniforms, others not so much.

G-guys I loved this movie but now I'm not so sure anymore....
Is this what getting enlightened feels like?

At the same time the Empire speaks english with a british accent, develops a fantasy nuke and uses it to blow up a civilian target and has a robe-wearing emperor.

Miss me yet faggots?

Come back George!

We mad fun of both you and JEB but the two of you are the only ones who can save the world. Please forgive us.

Once you know it's complete shit you've found the truth. The truth hurts but it is what it is.

I loved the original trilogy and was super excited to see the new stuff in theaters. I walked out mad.

You can be a fan of a series and think most of it is shit.

I am used to it, I am a Trek fan and most movies were more miss than hit.

The Empire was still a huge force after Sheev's death, the First Order signed an armistice with the New Republic and developed their forces in secret. It makes sense that they're soldiers would be shiny and new.

Also, for all the people complaining that this was vague, isn't the entire point of Star Wars that nothing gets spoon-fed to the audience? It's meant to feel like a window into an organic world, not a defined and signposted plot.

I think that as shitty as tfa was, you don't really have any point and are using what I call "nerd logic" which is not logic at all.... I mean how the fuck would you know how many resources the new order has, and why even it should have few resources... maybe they hoarded all the "nazi gold" of the emperor or something.... why aliens should be part of the empire? Why would the republic be more efficient than what was shown in the movie, why are x-wing supposed to be inferior?

PLease nobody makes the mistake of thinking I enjoyed tfa, but I hate this sort of pointless nit piucking that doesn't even make any sense.

>should have been a smaller group of many different alien species
>different alien species
are you stupid?

Hey that would have made a pretty good movie. Perhaps the first in a trilogy of movies. One which allowed the story to transition from the older characters to the new characters seamlessly.

90% of people who make any kind of statement about "this is what TFA was about" are just spewing headcanon that more or less makes sense with what we saw.

Don't blame the guy. It's human nature for the brain to start making shit up on its own when it gets absolutely nothing besides nice visuals.

You've swallowed a prequel pill.

Fags think it's exusable that shit will never get explained. I hate them. This movie ruins the OT

Nah, Force Awakens is good. They did a good job.

I wish they could just admit it was a piece of shit.

What was good about it?

I never liked the stromtrooper armor design. It was a budget limitation bakc in the 80s, but there's no excuse to why didn't they redesign it to not look like plastic shit.

it was just disney cashing it, fucking garbage.

The visuals. Han. Kylo. Kanjiklub.

>nice visuals
it had the most boring cinematography ever

I was mostly talking about the pretty colours and all the pew pew going on in the screen, but you're not wrong.

what about the giant planetary cannon they built?

I love the identity politics on Cred Forums. Only when you find out that the guy isn't 18 do you actually ask the initial question you should have asked.

I can understand how kids who grew up with the clones wars and had this as their first star wars cinema experience would like it but I can't understand how older fans can't see the massive flaws in it.

It looked worse than revenge of the sith. Han regressed 30 years then went out like a bitch. meme.

this

This. They made an unoriginal story in an original setting, when they should have done it vice versa

This movie made much less sense than any of the prequels.
Where did everything go so wrong?

tatooine 2
hoth 2
death star 3

>Did they exist for over 5000 years only to die out at that time frame - right after a moment of peace?
I'm fairly certain that according to (at least part of) the old canon, that's quite literally the case.
Jango Fett was something like the "last true Mandalorian" but then there were other sources that said he wasn't.

It was weird.

Hell, even Kreia referenced Jango as the last Mandalorian while talking with Mandalore, how his entire race is going to get reduced to one man, and I think she even said something alluding to the clone army.

>tatooine 2
This pisses me off the most.
It would've been so simple to make Jakku Tatooine, and even throw in a few references that give an idea of how the galaxy evolved after the events of the OT.

>Resistance old guy goes to Tatooine, both because not many outside of those who were part of the Rebel Alliance knew exactly what it represents to them
>Great hiding place because not only is it in the ass end of nowhere, but after Jabba's death, the underworld is in chaos and there's no real way to find anyone there, except if you know exactly where to look

Could've established this with side comments in 30 seconds, and connect the movie to the previous films, but no, we're going to be "original".

star wars is fucking capeshit shlock from the 70s

>Because in order to invoke Nazi imagery you have to have everything be clean, tidy and orderly.

You could explain it as political branding. The new ruling class still wants to paint themselves as a relatable grassroots organization. Branding themselves as the "Resistance" is smart politics because it inherently means they're constantly struggling against some nebulous evil.

It's like rebranding yourself from being a static "Liberal" to being a dynamic "Progressive."

Something like this would have been much better.

But literally the only thing we learn about the Republic is that they're doing their best to make everyone think they have nothing to do with the Resistance.
Which may or may not be true, since the only evidence to the contrary is that an angry First Order guy shouts a bit about how he thinks they're lying and then shoops da woop.

Welcome to jewlywood.

I remember watching TFA with my dad, and we both rolled our eyes at the ginger nazi speech. It was a nice moment of bonding

Much like modern leftists :)

Space is vast and its resource almost infinite.

With the technology available in the SW universe I'm just surprised that both sides are not able to built fleets of hundreds of thousands of ships.

Build a robot that builds ships, one thqt mines resources and one that build robots. You'll flood the galaxy in no time.

you were watching your dad's face while watching a movie? weird

I feel like the Eu empire after sheev died was better than this one. Also, I thought the way the empire eventually allied with the republic due to a marriage was great as well. This just makes every single person in the empire look like bad guys, which is highly improbable.

if that's your dream you should unironically consider necking yourself m80

>The 'remnants' of the empire should have been a smaller group of many different alien species
>remnants of the empire
>empire
>alien species
WEW

Another thing wrong with it. Even Germany used blacks in their forces when push came to shove. Making the empire racist until the end is stupid. Why not have the leader twirl his mustache while he's at it.

Because it is a Disney movie in the vein of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Be prepared for no fewer than one bland, 6.5/10 but extremely polished Star Wars movie every year for the rest of your life.

Lucas certainly had his lows, but he had his highs too. I'd take the highs and lows over the mediocrity factory.

Still though, I suppose the Mediocrity factory is better than nothing.

See y'all in December for Rogue One :P

Nobody cares about autistic space politics and trade negotiations.

because fuck everyone

>I suppose the Mediocrity factory is better than nothing.
You suppose wrong.

Frankly, it mirrored our real world politics too closely and made some people uncomfortable(Jews). So good goyim, don't focus on politics. Instead, watch the bright colors and big explosions.

No it fucking didn't. They were unrealistic and dull to watch. There was nothing compelling about them. Nobody is watching an action space opera like Star Wars for shitty politics. You want space politics done right? Look at Mass Effect or Star Trek.

>Making the empire racist until the end is stupid

Being racist is a pretty good indicator of being a scumbag though, do you really expect a children's movie to be steeped in nuance?

Here's how kids (the intended audience of TFA) see it:
>Hey these guys are like the nazi's you learned about in history class
>k I don't like them

I see this complaint a lot, can't help but think it's from rotten garbage people mad their shitheel ideologies are rightfully associated with the concepts of the "Bad Guys"

Yes, good goyim. It IS unrealistic for a huge power to attack their own people in order to gain military power. Yes. That is surely only possible in the realms of fiction.

>Being racist is a pretty good indicator of being a scumbag
hello underage

But if this was a children's movie series, then why do so many people have problems with Jar Jar and kid Anakin?

idk you can always... not see the movie right?

Oh here we go with the 12 year old Cred Forumsshitposting
If you knew anything about politics you would see those movies make great leaps and bounds even for SciFi to justify political ramifications. Go watch Plinkett break it down.

Why do innocuous posts about right leaning shit get answered with insults and petty shit like this?

This is the reason theres a flame war in every fucking thread now.
Also
>implying nazis have a monopoly on the political ideology of national socialism

>git a load of dis cunt

Go back and suck his dick if that's your only argument. I'm tired of fuckers getting their opinions form some dude on the internet.

*le tip

>it took the genocide of five planets worth of people to spur the nigger into action

Bravo.

>The underage actually believes people didn't already hate the prequels before Plinkett

Yeah for all the dumb stuff in the eu, and even dumb stuff involving the imperial remnant, overall they handled it pretty well. plus admiral pellaeon was based as fuck

I don't care if you hate it, dipshit. Fact is you're to dumb to put into words why you do.

I already did. Why waste my time explaining it to you in-depth when I can direct you to someone who can do it far better than I. The politics in the prequels made no sense and weren't compelling at all.

That means every alien needs a name and history for its race.

>a struggling remnant of the empire led by an edgy manchild manages to build an even bigger and better deathstar

EVERYTHING HAS TO BE BIGGER AND FLARIER - Jar Jar Abrams

Hey you guys here is a question I don't see people ask. Why did they even need the new robot's half of the map, if R2's had the specific location? Couldn't they just compare it to patterns of existing maps of the galaxy to pinpoint it?

I mean I GET that they didn't know R2 had part of the map, but I mean what was even the point of splitting in two?

As bad as the movie was, i think it was intentional to make kylo look more like a faggot by the end