LotR Theatrical vs Extended?

LotR Theatrical vs Extended?

I'm a big fan of the series but my girlfriend hasn't seen it. So which trilogy (theatrical or extended) do you think would leave the best impression?

I personally love the extended cuts - but I'm a fan of the movies, characters, and world. I appreciate the added content, even if at times it diminishes the pacing or tone of some scenes.

What do you guys think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_CsRPqIyR-E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>theatrica

No normie is gonna wanna sit through 4 hours of Return of the king

Where'd you dig up the troll to watch Lotr with?

Theatrical for sure

She knows they're long and is down to watch them. So length isn't an issue. It's more a case of which cut is more entertaining. Which is the better film.

Theatrical. I'm a fantasy nerd and I wouldn't want to sit through the extended cuts again. Parts of these movies have aged terribly.
Still miles ahead of the hobbit movies.

I like Bill Burr's take on these movies

youtube.com/watch?v=_CsRPqIyR-E

if shes not interested in them then dont make her sit through it. If shes mildly interested then the theatrical. If she is super into it and you bring up how theres extended cuts and she wants to watch those then do that.

I'm scared to watch the extended incase it ruins LOTR for me.

Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Theatrical, always.

I've only watched them through once and thought it was neat. The only characters who benefit from more screen time is Faramir and Boromir.

Extended Return of the King ruins the gag about the Ghost Pirates.

OP here. You convinced me. End thread.

Theatrical. Extendeds are way too long for a first timer, and the editing for them is a little sloppy imo. If length isn't an issue for her then the theatricals are still more entertaining, as all the extra padding in the extendeds can bog down the films.

Extended Fellowship, but treat each disk as a separate movie. This will stop her from getting too overwhelmed. Then just watch the theatrical Two Towers and Return of the King.

The extended for two towers is all nice stuff to have but it was cut out of the theatrical for a reason so its good to skip for a first time viewer.

Same with Return of the King because its long enough as it is without all the extra shit.

Is there a 90 minute version of the whole trilogy?

85% of the LOTR movies were boring filler that should have been excised.

>Return of the King because its long enough as it is without all the extra shit.
>missing Saruman's scene
disgusting

some of the extra is stupid filler while some is absolutely necessary, for example gandalf vs witch king

For someone who hasn't seen them at all, theatrical.

Extended editions are mostly (MOSTLY) nerd fodder. Once you watch the EEs, assuming you like LotR, there's no reason to go back to theatrical. But the theatrical are better cut and paced movies in general. EEs are for the people who like getting lost in Middle-Earth.

I love my EEs but as others have said, definitely start someone on theatrical. Worst case scenario they don't have to watch any more than they don't want to. And if they do like it there can pick up the EEs and get more.

Saruman's death scene is terrible and anticlimatic as fuck, nothing like the books.

i don't remember anything about the extended versions other than merry and pippin finding the room full of food and the guy with the weird mouth at the gate

Extended you fucking nigger. You don't want to miss the based mouth of Sauron and countless other dank scenes.

Important/cool scenes in the EEs only:

Extended Shire in the beginning
Aragorn singing and hunting between Bree and Weathertop
Shards of Narsil scene between Aragorn and Boromir
More talk about Moria leading up to it
Extended introduction to Lothlorien
Extended gifts of Galadriel scene
More scenes between Wormtongue and Eomer
Elven rope scene with Sam and Frodo
>>>Boromir and Faramir in Osgiliath scene

Extended version of Fellowship and Two Towers (For the Boromir and Faramir scene) and Theatrical for Return of the King.

Extended Fellowship is fucking GOAT.

i like the extended versions more, but there's a bunch of stuff in return of the king that was better left out

that skull scene in the cave was really dumb

What gag are you talking about?

Extended every time. I don't think I've watched the theatrical cut in over a fucking decade. Go big or GTFO.

Where Aragorn rushes the orcs or whatever and they laugh because he's alone and then the Ghosts appear behind him.

Exactly this

this. when you're more familiar with the theatrical cuts, the extended cuts are a frustrating mix of redundant or extraneous scenes that feel like they throw off the theatrical's pacing put right alongside essential scenes that should never have been cut, like saruman and wormtongue's deaths.

Extended if your a true fan