The Cinephile Club™ Official #1

This is a thread for those of us who have been watching cinema seriously for 10+ years and have seen over 250 films. Don't be offended; some of us have just moved past imdb-core, capeshit and indie flicks. Do not derail the thread with trolling or off-topic discussion.

A warm welcome to my fellow cinephiles. Here are some topics to get us started:
>What are your views on the current state of cinema?
>What have you been watching lately?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KvBcfYlooas
youtube.com/watch?v=HYQAcHsgIwY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fincher is honestly better than all the directors listed on that picture.

What's your favorite from him? :)

I've been trying to get into brakhage lately, but hes completely inscrutable. Are his films meant to be taken as visual experiences alone? I can completely appreciate his beautiful short films, but something like dog star man is impossible. Are we really expected to sit through the blur of colors for hours on end?

Will you stop spamming you fucking faggot

>Only 250

>dog star man
I recently watched the prelude to Dog Star Man at 1/4 speed. Did you know there's a cat in that film? You may have noticed that images of Brakhage, his wife, and his dog are in there, too, but when you watch it at 1/4 speed, you realize how many clear shots of those subjects there actually are. There are a lot of other things in there that you can only see this way. So any way you look at it, the film is frustrating. Running it at normal speed, everything is claustrophobic and goes by too fast. If you watch it at 1/4 speed, it's visually coherent but horribly long. At 1/2 speed, neither problem is solved.

Ultimately, I have to curse Brakhage for his messed-up eyes. He could probably see all the images he put together. The rest of us have something impenetrable. It blurs the line between a movie and a slide show.

>Michael Bay is easily accessible
>Derek Jarman is unlisted
>the entire Japanese cyberpunk movement is unlisted
>Gaspar Noe is hard to understand
How is it possible to put this much effort into something and still be so shit?

I can't say I noticed the cat before. I might give slowed down viewing a try, but that does exacerbate his terrible long windedness. Its nice to know that I'm not just some pleb for finding him challenging. He really does produce some strikingly otherworldly images at times, I just wish he stuck more to short form cinema. It's hard to believe that this guy once taught the south park guys film.

Can any of you shoot me some surrealistic films? I want to get into films from music and am a huge fan of the weird and the abstract. Maybe a bit of a pleb choice but my favorite kino is Eraserhead, I'm looking for more stuff like that mostly.
Also if this is a bait thread then pretend I posted a meme

Shut up dumb fuck.

The rest of Lynch's work would probably be a good place to start. He doesn't give a fuck about representing the world as it literally is but you don't need to be a 500-kinos absorbed kinophile to appreciate him either.

Blue Velvet, Wild At Heart and then Mulholland Drive might be a good progression from Eraserhead.

>tfw your favourite director is too obscure even for that list

I've heard good things about Inland Empire, should I watch that too? I don't speak polish and don't have a million hours to watch all the time so was just wondering if it's too kino for me or not

it is what it is. maybe you don't know how to process the diversity of film

first you must read up on surrealism as a movement in literature

>should I watch that too?

no. it's garbage.

Probably because it's intention is to troll at worst, cause discussion at best.

From music? And you like surrealism...
>200 Motels
Other mainstays of Surrealism
>The Holy Mountain
>Fando y Lis
>Valarie's Week of Wonders
>Daisies
>Black Moon

For something more abstract
>Inauguration of the Pleasuredome
>Invocation of my Demon Brother
>Lucifer Rising

I haven't seen much, but you might also want to check out Brunuel and Harmony Korine's films he made after Gummo.

Isn't surrealism in film more closely related to surrealism in visual art? Hell, Salvador Dali was a surrealist filmmakers, and many of the dada surrealists went on to be inspire the filmmakers

Why?
Why not just watch the films and see if they resonate.
Isn't surrealism meant to be a collective unconsciousness thing anyway?

Pssssshhhhhhhh.

>he self identifies as a cinephile

Top wew

Yup
>Don't be offended;

This is 8/10 trolling, seems autistic enough that it's genuine. Arrogant enough to still trigger.

WHERE MY FUCKING MICHAELANGELO BROTHERS AT!?!?!?!

NIGGA PAINTED WHOLE STREET GREY!

YO' BOURGEOIS ANXIETY, DIS NIGGA GETS IT

l'avventura trilogy sucks though

What Yoshishige Yoshida work should I watch first?

>kubrick below keaton
wtf

hey man La Notte was all right

BlowUp is GOAT though

Little kids can get laugh at Keaton. It's non verbal comedy. Just like how Mr. Bean is accessible to literally everyone.

accessible =/= bad

jarman's films were little more than home movies or adaptations from the stage. like the poor british warhol with less talent.

he's wonderful and eloquent in interviews but his films didn't age well and would be trashy youtube clickbait if he was active today.

>This is a thread for those of us who have been watching cinema seriously for 10+ years
>have been watching cinema
>watching

only true cinephiles live cinema not watch it

I'd be very happy if Blue was never released and he simply cut coil's music to 90 minutes of bluescreen.

he was a really great guy and must have been the most amazing host. his interviews are beyond comforting.

youtube.com/watch?v=KvBcfYlooas

ok kemosabe. i'll bite with the preface that im unsure if your statement is akin to chefs and people who can play 3 chords calling themselves rockstars in the same sense that you're talking about cinema

how do you live cinema? is it a lifestyle of cruising theaters watching every release and eking into every film festival to bombard filmmakers with inanity? is it the vain hoarding of
film ephemera in the hope of absorbing the craft of film making through osmosis? is it making films with a script that is little more than a pathetic treasure map to the cinematic gold contained in the cosmic mind?

>watching film in theaters alone
>watching the same film with a group in a theater
>rewatching multiple times at home
>reading the script
>watching directory commentary and multiple interviews with the director/actors/actresses about the film and characters
>getting into the mind and opening emotionally to absorb the characters feelings throughout the film
>living the film in person by portraying the characters in real life

so a piecemeal gestalt envisioned by a myopic

or are you making a joke about method acting

i honestly can't tell.

naw this is method watching. You're not a true cinephile till you experience what you see

Mom gonna freak xD

OP, how frequently will you be posting these threads? It's a great idea and would be neat if you could keep numbering them.
>current state of cinema
I think that cinema is in a great place really, and it's only going up with the easier access to cameras and such. Sure, Hollywood is a bit dull with the wave of superhero stuff, but look at the staggering amount of indie films. Digital is also very exciting: Miami vice and Blackhat are two of my favourite action films.
The last movie I watched was cache, it was great.

why is possession so popular in certain circles but then those same circles don't watch his other movies? some zulawskis have barely 200 views on letterbox, blue note has 50; silver glove has 800 while possession has almost 7 thousand
and no it's not bc it's his only good film, I've never been disappointed

Fucking this. I watch that in a year.

and don't even get me started on akerman that isn't on criterion, she's praised so much it's a meme and yet? she made dozens of movies and only 1.5 get discussed or apparently seen

I used to watch a lot of films per year until I realized it was sort of enabling really toxic habits of mine and started to scare me in the end.

Now it's like 1-3 films a week. I just find sitting motionless in front of a screen to be really depressive act overall, and any justification for it is lousy at best.

I know this is a troll thread, but there's no where else to post this. Which of these should I watch?

Hotel Du Nord - Carne
The Earrings of Madame de...- Ophuls
It Happened One Night - Capra
The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum - Mizoguchi
or any Rosellini film that isn't General Della Rovere or The Flowers of St. Francis.

All of them

I'd suggest you go for Capra, they're all worth checking out though.

I have no idea how long I have been watching cinema seriously, but don't you mean over 2500 films? Everyone and their mother has seen at least 250 films.

>What are your views on the current state of cinema?
It's hard to find the truly good stuff, since we mainly get to hear about big Hollywood blockbusters. However, I visited a film festival a week ago and saw some good stuff.

Nothing in particular. Watched Ben-Hur (50s) for the first time two days ago. Also been meaning to catch up on Hitchcock's filmography.

>It Happened One Night

You get that he's on the picture, right

kek, every normie has seen more than 300 films
2500 is a more reasonable number for someone who's been a hardcore cinephile for 10+ years

>250 films
How young do you have to be to have only seen 250 films?
I mean I've seen a film every day since I was 15, and I was well past 1000 by 18

Best motion picture of all time

youtube.com/watch?v=HYQAcHsgIwY

Not even trolling.

>not posting the patrician chart

I like this chart more.

No.

surrealism is a whole deal. It loosely based on Freud theory. It is an attempt to represent artistically your own subconscient.

it's pretty shitty desu. Un chien andalou sucked big fat hairy dicks but it's arthouse so fake patrician like it

I tried watching Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine but had to stop when it went overboard with the strobelike effect. It felt like I was going to at least end up with a crazy headache.

Looks like a bunch of shite