Mandela Effect

Does anyone else remember Mission: Impossible being critically panned when it came out? II remember reading somewhere that Mission Impossible tanked at the box office and was trashed by critics. Now it seems I've entered a universe where it was a massive success.

Other urls found in this thread:

rottentomatoes.com/m/mission_impossible/reviews/?type=top_critics
youtube.com/watch?v=XAYhNHhxN0A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No, that never happened.

Universe B sucks

I've always remembered it being a massive success

MI1 wasn't panned but was criticized for being to much about the explosions and action, which was new at the time, because that's not what it was about originally, even though it was praised for doing the action well.

MI2 sucks, still sucks, it will always sucks, it never did unsuck, it was just that MI1 was John Woo orientated, but with good plot, and the second was LITERALLY john woo action without that great plot line.

They since fixed it with Ghost Protocol, but even MI3 was suffering.

It's been hotly debated here before but the consensus is 1=4>5>2>3 you can even argue and 2 and 3 are just as bad, one more for story the other for just being poor quality, but the rest are a solid.

no i don't remember that. to be honest i don't remember how it was received at all.

i do remember "mirror mirror, on the wall" though, and i've only seen the movie.

Nope that never happened. Mission Impossible was a big hit when it first came out and the critics weren't too harsh either. Not sure where you heard that.

This was pre-internet review, so people didn't really pay much heed to the pro-critics, but you can read it here.

>This movie isn't a disaster, but, all things considered, there's little reason to make it a high priority for theatrical viewing.

>Every effect is so calculated that only the conscious minds of filmmakers and viewers are engaged--and not by very much or for very long.

>Humorless, charmless and flat.

>The most dour, sexless piece of escapism in memory.

>It's the worst kind of convoluted thriller -- it can never unravel satisfactorily because there's nothing simple at its center, just more confusion.

>An infinite trailer that is all effects, no affect.

The critics were actually CONFUSED by the movie

OR

The said it was all action and no plot. I mean calling it 'sexless' that would NEVER have come out now. Little did they know, this was the future of action movies and pretty much the Citizen Kane of movies since The Matrix and Jason Bourne movies.

It's not that critics didn't hate it, it just there was a low caliber of critics when the style of movies were changing fundamentally. This was coming out JUST before The Matrix.

People were not expecting engaging plots mixed with high octane action. This was like damn good story mixed with rocket fuel.

>Fans of the TV series expecting a faithful translation may be disappointed. Except for a few nods to its small-screen predecessor, this Mission: Impossible is a vastly different, autonomous entity. Nine years ago, director Brian DePalma used a similar approach for a superior version of The Untouchables, but lightning hasn't struck twice. Teetering on an uncertain edge between action flick and thriller, Mission: Impossible doesn't succeed well as either. There are some high-energy moments, but none offers more than a moment's edge-of-the-seat excitement. Too much of what happens in Mission: Impossible comes across as fait accompli.

>MI1 wasn't panned but was criticized for being to much about the explosions and action

Which is funny since the first Mission Impossible movie is more of a cloak and dagger thriller. The only real action scene is the setpiece with the train and helicopter at the end. It was pretty cerebral by Hollywood blockbuster standards.

It's the sequels that made them more 'action packed'.

So this si where you see the Critics at the time go "IT'S JUST ACTION NO PLOT" or "IT'S JUST CONFUSING AND BORING" and now I bet they're all out of work and left in the dust.

It wasn't until The Matrix hit that critics realized these 'thinking man action' movies as they called it, was a thing that was here to stay.

Got to give kudo's to hollywood for making this a thing, but MI was what started it, not Matrix. There was never any denying that MI was gold.

I still remember duke nukem parodying it, amazingly.

Me and a friend were both convinced for years that Bruce Campbell in Evil Dead II says "Hey, who's that guy?" when he sees the prophecy scroll with the figure that is obviously him. It was one of our favorite little jokes.

Then we rewatched it for the first time in awhile and it wasn't there. What could we be confusing this with?

that's not in the movie????

"And your fucking point is? What are you some kind of fucking wiseguy huh? Are you trying to be funny, some kind of a fucking clown. Well that's right dipshit you are. A Clown. Now fuck off and take your newspaper cutting with you. You fuck."

As someone who wasn't a fetus when MI was released, I can tell you it was received well but was criticized for being convoluted plot wise and somewhat dull. It got flack for killing off Ethans team early on. This is why MI2 is Dumber, more action oriented and Ethan has a team to quip with.

even the fucking THEME song was a success! I remember it having heavy playlist rotation on radio stations here, dont know if anything comparable ever happened i mean it was really just the fucking theme! Not even a real song!

Yes it is. That guy and his buddy are just retarded.

Axel F maybe

The theme song never got radio time. The theme song from MI2 did because Limp Bizkit adapted it to full length. It was awful.

Millennials have the worst fucking memories.

Yes it did, they fucking blared the "Theme from mission impossible" on radio stations here in germany 24/7

>germany
>first world countryu

>just making shit up thats not even up to debate

No, but I'm positive that it's Berenstein Bears.

It was critically panned. It was widely considered to have a confusing/convoluted plot, and I think there was just a general sense of people wondering why it was so different from the TV show (which people actually still remembered at the time because it sort of lingered in reruns). All the attention was on the Chunnel/CIA break in scenes, while the plot was discarded.

I just rewatched that scene right now. Ash doesn't say "Hey, who's that guy?", he just asks "What's that picture."

>The theme song from MI2 did because Limp Bizkit adapted it to full length. It was awful.

only the one with vocals, instrumental is the best

I'm in my late twenties and I remember it being one of THE movies of 1998, Hyped to no end.

The action movie was both 'too smart' and 'too boring'.

Not really though, it's just movie critics back then were use to Batman: Forever or Judge Dredd.

It wasn't until 1996 that movies got better with shit like Scream and Mission: Impossible that took entire genre tropes and turned them upside down.

No longer were movies just dumbed down and unrealistic. I mean Independence Day kinda pushed the practical effects possible to the limits. Blowing up fucking everything.

Then MiB came out and people were like "shit them CGI are cool" and Fifth Element where the practical Effects were actually the most campy part of the movie.

Even still MI set up the world for Matrix.

As a kid the one thing I remembered about MI1 when it came out was the gum, the face changer masks, and Emilio Estevez getting anally fucked by an elevator.

>Mandela Effect

What is that?

My school use to play the theme song before classes... It was chemical brothers teir song during their Exit Planet Dust and Dig Your Own Hole (1995–98) era.

Trust me this shit was popular as fuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=XAYhNHhxN0A

but yeah the second song was even more popular because of the first and it was around the chocolate star fish era, which even outsold fucking backstreet boys.

it was good times back then.

Example of how everyone has Amnesia. There's several factors, but the fundamental causes is Amnesia. A lot of people have a worse memory than you think.

It's when someone asks other people on an anonymous image board to explain something to him instead of copy-pasting a single word into Google

It got a ton of shit from critics for being "confusing" but it was a massive box office success.

>Implying MI2 intro isn't GOAT
>Implying Woo doves in MI isn't GOAT
>Implying the motorcycle scene wasn't GOAT

I'm surmounted by plebs.