The great debate

The great debate.

No really, i know that the general consensus is that BoB is the better one, however i haven't seen The Pacific but i'm about to tonight. What am i in for?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tm6ckUwTSZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=VcMk85ZsBh0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The high points of the Pacific (everything with Sledge, specifically the episodes in Peleliu and Okinawa) are even better than the highs of Band of Brothers and is some seriously fantastic shit, but it has more noticeable lows and isn't as consistent. For how little Basilone was in the show, he honestly could have been cut entirely and Leckie just wasn't that interesting for the most part. People justifiably bitch about the third episode too since it's just boring, unnecessary doomed-romance during wartime shit for an hour that really wasn't needed.

That being said, it's still a fantastic show and I honestly still prefer it to Band of Brothers based off the quality of Slege's storyline and how well it conveyed how visceral and brutal the combat was in comparison to what Easy company went through. Also the intro completely kicks the shit out of BoB's.

A less interesting BoB. The Aussie segment in particular doesn't add anything and takes up an entire episode

most pacific characters are totally forgettable and I don't really care for the story arcs in the US and australia

Superior series coming through

you are in for a bunch of japs running in to machine guns

The only remarkable character in The Pacif was Snafu

Sledge's PTSD breakdown during the dove hunt at the end really hit me in the feels because I had a friend who went through Iraq do the same thing when we flushed some pheasants and I took a shot.

They highlight different aspects of war. BoB is obviously camaraderie. TP, I feel, highlights the hellish conditions they had to face both during the war, and the resulting mental effects from the war. They're both good in their own right.

BoB is obviously superior though.

Band of brothers is more about the comradery and, of course, the brotherhood between men who is in war together. The trust they have for each other and the willingness to sacrifice oneself for his fellow men.

The Pacific is more about what war does to you mentally, both on an indvidual level, but also how society must deal with the ones who have been out there.

I think the Pacific is better

the better characters of Pacific white the fucking floor with Band of Brothers. I thought BoB really suffered by taking entire episodes to flesh out specific characters and not characterizing each character progressively with each episode. It was more like the characters existed and had a kind of rough character sheet, then got their episode and had their arc and then were finished

I also thought the Pacific did a much better job showing how fucking hellish war really is, with Band of Brothers it took them like half the series to make me actually believe the main cast could get hurt. Until then it didn't feel like the stakes were high in a fucking WW2 show.

t. I just watched both back to back

you cry, you lose

youtube.com/watch?v=Tm6ckUwTSZ8

>tfw you will never live through and fight in a world war

I don't know if this gets discussed much, but I feel like the biggest difference between the shows has to do with when they were made and what the nation was going through.

BoB had the message of "war is hell, therefore we must respect and honor the people who had to endure." Which isn't really a surprise, considering it was made after the success of Saving Private Ryan and aired right after 9/11.

Meanwhile The Pacific had a message of "war is hell for everyone involved, and we must try to never let it happen again.Which again isn't surprising considering it aired after a decade of US involvement in Afghanistan and almost as much in Iraq.

I don't know if this is an intentional difference or just how I perceive it.

The Pacific has two completely boring shit episodes - the one in Australia, and the one back at Camp Pendleton.

The idea of how hellish the war in the Pacific was is an interesting topic, and I think it's explored pretty well, but other than that, I don't think the series is that interesting. The characters are way less memorable than BoB.

that's a good point

>Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?
>No, but I served in a company of heroes
;_;

Seriously. The pacific would have been GOAT if it just focused on Sledge.

Based

bump

>the better characters of Pacific

who? grumpy up his own ass writer? the salty sgt we saw for 2 minutes and where expected to care when he broke down? slit from fury road who had two lines? the winters analogue who died 2 minutes after being introduced and we where once again expected to care about him? basilone who spent the vast majority of the series not even in the fucking pacific and doing fuck all?

the series had snafu and that's about it.

Post your favorite BoB moments
youtube.com/watch?v=VcMk85ZsBh0

>doesn't add anything

bump

Leibgot > Winters > Roe > Toy > Spiers > Buck > Bull > Guarneir > Luz >>>>>>>> everyone else

>Snafu never said goodbye to sledge

>No Lipton
being this wrong

Fuck yes, thought I was the only one who prefers this over pacific/BoB

The white man will not be denied bro

> no shifty

ftfy