Is it true that Mike Stoklasa pioneered and revolutionized the way movies are reviewed on youtube?

Is it true that Mike Stoklasa pioneered and revolutionized the way movies are reviewed on youtube?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YlYTvjUR1jg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

to an extent yes

ehh, sort of

he was the first i can think of that made a long multi part dissection of a movie, on youtube at least. there were reviews and stuff before him, but i can't think of anyone that did elaborate videos like he did

not only movies but other things like music and especially video games

yes 2bh

Actually, yes. He probably had a big influence on how TFA was made as well.

About to watch the new Plinkett. How high should my expectations be?

Very low.

This desu. His Phantom Menace review was viewed and talked about by a lot of people in Hollywood, most if not all of which agreed with his criticisms.

Its not that great.
No actual talk about TFA for the first hour almost

well, he influenced YMS

That came off pathetically self important to me too, it also bothered me that he spend most of the video annoyed that he didn't had the final work on the whole prequel thing.

the 20 minutes on some random internet bozo's dumb ring theory was so pointless and inexplicable. he didn't even connect it to force awakens and it could have easily been folded into the prequel revisionism segment. you can tell that something about that level of autism got under mike's skin, but it should have been a separate video, not part of the force awakens review.

>Mike Stoklasa

>Doing anything of cultural, humanitarian, or technological value or significance.

Yes, but probably not to the extent that he thinks.

YMS and Super Bunny Hop are two in particular that shamelessly copied both his format and even his voice "styling"

They've sense adopted their own style much to their betterment.

He still has the final word on the prequel situation, all that reddit-originated crap like the ring theory and "rethinking the prequels" is nothing but wishy thinking bullshit and hugbox masturbation.

Not everyone can be as culturally impactful as you are, Doug. I mean, who can forget about Kickassia or the the supervillain shuffle? Those videos defined a generation.

WHAT
NEW PLINKETT IS OUT

WHY HASN'T ANYONE TOLD ME

He influenced YMS and Regular Car Reviews, so not as influential as James Rolfe but still.

>reviewing and criticizing movies

Is there anything more pathetic than this? It's talentless fucks telling other people what to think about something that someone put hard work into

yeah instead he should post here, amirite supreme sir

Yes, it was fucking huge at the time.

I didn't say that. I just said that critics are colossal faggots.

I'm sure you haven't got enough brain cells to see the irony of what I said but

he can't be more pathetic than an asshole who complains about the movie on an american anime imageboard

Criticism of film is the ultimate hindsight argument.

Try taking the wheel, Mike.

Oh wait...

>Mike will never ejaculates inside you

Thank fucking god.

Doggie Style

>telling other people what to think

No, that's just your bullshit defensive interpretation. They're giving their opinion.

He just copied what Angry Video Game Nerd was doing and made it about movies.

how are you so sure?
...mike?

yep.
it's foolish to think that hollywood cocksuckers don't scan and screen independant reviewers that get more than 100k views on their content.

it's almost like JJ Abrams followed his classic prequel Plinkett reviews step-by-step.

Not really. Funny reviews had been a thing long before.

Because they didn't get as popular. But they were around. All Mike did was popularize nitpicking.

don't you dare even put YMS in the same category as RLM

yes, in that he applies advanced cinematic techniques to the movie reviews of youtube.

also he represents something: a common man creator. this is significant technologically for youtube and our generation, because the difficulty in distribution would have been prohibitive for his ideas before now. mike represents a watershed moment.

Inb4 dog fucker derail

i loved it. it's more cerebral and nuanced than his previous plinkett reviews.

>he applies advanced cinematic techniques to the movie reviews of youtube.

1) no he doesn't.
2) That's not as novel as you think.

Mike knows some film school trivia, but he's not that deep.

>also he represents something: a common man creator. this is significant technologically for youtube and our generation, because the difficulty in distribution would have been prohibitive for his ideas before now. mike represents a watershed moment.

Woah there, Ayn Rand. There were plenty of successful youtubers long before Mike. if anything, AVGN was more significant.

Simon Pegg has said he watched the Plinkett reviews and enjoyed them. Hes also a friend of JJ. I'm willing to bet he sat him down at some point and they watched all three of the reviews before making TFA

> 1) no he doesn't.

Special effects, montage, creative cuts, visual gags based on slowdown of the footage, font selection for comedic effect, special effects (the poop joke), michael moore style editing of interviews.

Hey Mike. Its like 2 am on a Sunday where you're at right now. Go to bed dude.

And all of those were already in use before the first review.

>not wanting to bear Mike's children

>prequels
>hard work

Giving a fuck about meme.s

I liked it. People are mad he spent a lot of time talking about things involving Star Wars besides the movie, but he literally spells out that is what he is going to do in the first 5 minutes.

Pretty sure the point of a lot of that was pointing out that Disney seemed to be astroturfing blog sites to redeem the prequels reputation a little bit.

That's what I took away from it, with a little tongue-in-cheek narcissism that is obligatory.

Show me a review from before the first plinkett that does these things

>Pretty sure the point of a lot of that was pointing out that Disney seemed to be astroturfing blog sites to redeem the prequels reputation a little bit.
>That's what I took away from it, with a little tongue-in-cheek narcissism that is obligatory.
I got the same sense.

It was more about the implication of astroturfing than him being awesome.

Damon Lindelof is a fan of them as well. It's highly likely that JJ has seen them

Nope, his style of review is too complex and takes too much effort. Douge was much more influential, because you just have to summarize the movie, make occasional nitpicks, and do unfunny skits to top it off.

A ton of people aped Plinkett in all sorts of ways, some of them not even related to movies at all.
Fitzthislewitz for example branched off into his own thing but it was completely derived from Plinkett.

>did people rip off plinkett

yes and plinkett shits on them in his new review

>shits on them

You mean, says their names in funny voices?

theres a segment of his review where he pretends to do cinemasins bullshit, so no.

AVGN and Nostalgia Critic laid far more of the groundwork for the channels he mentioned.

Except ring theory has nothing to do with astroturfing. The segment was literally just included for time reasons.

Doing a bit on it implies it has any kind of grounding in reality. It's like spending 20 minutes carefully explaining why magnetic wrist straps won't cure cancer to a crowd of people who aren't morons.

>shits on them
ha ha it was more of a "shout out" to his yotube compadres in fighting the hollywood system

>It's like spending 20 minutes carefully explaining why magnetic wrist straps won't cure cancer to a crowd of people who aren't morons.
It's like you've never been here to Cred Forums before.

He popularized it. I remember after the Plinkett reviews suddenly everyone was overblowing every little problem with movies like they were the worst thing ever and adamant that everything is awful.

When he made his review he wasn't airing any controversial opinions, he was just quantifying it and breaking it down and easier to understand.

Now SUDDENLY everyone is tripping over themselves to talk about how deep and good and art the prequel movies actually are.

>adamant that everything is awful

He invented Cred Forums!

Yeah but Fitz was at least open about it.

Plinkett TFA is not very good

like the prequels

Not just movies, games and anime reviewers too.

Just fucking look at Mechagamezilla, Thegamingbrit or Douchebagchocolat.

All very similar styles of humor and editing.

>Mike literally saved Star Wars and made it worse

A worse curse than being Lucas himself.

Except those two retards never reviewed movies, they just pretended to be angry and yelled at the camera. It bothers me that the neglected kids that watch that shit visit this board now.

It sucked balls desu

Fitz was probably one of the best "Plinkett emulators" ever, but I think it was right for him to quit before his humor got stale.

Even the Regular Car Reviews guy copies Plinkett's style.

Will Mike be admitted to the hall of fame of kinegraphy?

Forgot muh link.

youtube.com/watch?v=YlYTvjUR1jg

The Nostalgia Critic is 10x more influential.

Just like nobody really talks about TFA after a year of its release. Meta as fuck.

Is Mike autistic?

No seriously, who has the time to create a character to make a fucking 1 and a half hour long review about a movie he doesn't like?

Plinkett's reviews were actually FUNNY and really well written though, no one likes NC's cringe humor.

The only thing he did was whine about fair use on YouTube which didn't do anything

Yeah if you want to influence vomiting.

His autism paid off in the end. He got recognition and generated decent enough revenue from his side project to keep it going and maybe expand it.

>1:00
>Corolla provided by:Jay

How deep does the poetry go.

Rich Evan's uncle works at Nintendo. The Japanese conglomerate that makes Corolla.

It's not - I like him therefore he's influential/I dislike him there he isn't. It's a fact. The Nostalgia Critic was one of the first. RedditLetterMedia are a bunch of johnny come latelys.

This is absolutely impossible, (save something in the production admitting to it), to confirm or deny, so there's no point in even saying.

The biggest influence behind TFA's design is, "Safe remake/reboots seems to work," which was established surely independently from what Mike did.

>Now SUDDENLY everyone is tripping over themselves to talk about how deep and good and art the prequel movies actually are.
Contrarian clickbait bullshit more than anything. People are perfectly aware that they aren't going to change their opinion over a list or article, just point out petty things like the lightsaber fights being "cooler," or something about imaginary depth.

>self important to me too,
It was indulgent, but Mike doesn't come across as self-important to me. He's admitted he's made these reviews to created popularity for his indie films.

What an honor.

>Its not that great.
True. The jokes were fairly flat, as if he didn't seem that inspired to write this review.

He liked the movie, you fucking retard.

It's not that the Jokes were flat, it's that they weren't really edgy enough.

Does anyone remember the cat gag in his Cop Dog review?
Or the urban market segment in the AOTC review?

He's too afraid to offend his audience now, it's fucking sad.

Yes, Generalfeldmarschall Stoklasa is a living youtube legend.

Although in the first YMS he says he is going to rip off plinkett

This review was the Phantom Menace of Plinkett reviews.

>No actual talk about TFA for the first hour almost

Maybe because the "review" was mostly about Star Wars in general and not just about the latest movie. Read the title.

>It's not that the Jokes were flat, it's that they weren't really edgy enough.
No, they just weren't funny.

>Or the urban market segment in the AOTC review?
Do you remember the part where he said it was science fiction that a black man wouldn't fire a gun? That was easily the funniest joke.

>He's too afraid to offend his audience now, it's fucking sad.
No, I just don't think he came to this review with the insight of his other reviews. A lot of it is recycled from earlier reviews. It doesn't help that he didn't really have much new to say about this film in particular.

The purpose of the Plinkett reviews was never to be edgy or offensive, ya retard.

>its a plinkett disavows everything that his reviews have created episode

>we didn't get a new BOTW this week for this

YMS basically started off as a carbon copy of plinkett but changed into his own super autismo form of criticism which is arguably worse

Eh, even the worst Plinkett is better than the best HITB or BOTW.

Not really. For an especially "cerebral" review, watch the Titanic review.

Douge has only influensed autistic literally whos who nobody watches. Actual big youtubers like Stuckmann and YMS and other video essay youtubers have been directly influenced by RLM

I think that was his sarcastic point.

He created Plinkett because he knows that if he recorded these reviews just as himself they would be tedious and boring. There's also the self irony of Plinkett being a loser who nitpicks about movies.

If anything it's the perfect way to create a review. And he liked the movie in the way that it was a safe movie but disliked how it doesn't offer anything else.

10/10

He's the first one people actually cared about. There was probably some 13 year old who did it before, but Mike's revolutionized it. Ebert even talked about it.

I still think this guy pioneered the whole bad stuff reviewing thing.

Here we have a website existing since 2000 about reviewing "so bad they're good" movies, more than 700 now. It's in text , but they use a lot of images and videos to do so.
AVGN was the first to do the whole "angry" shtick in video though, we also have a ripoff in our country.

It's not like the plinkett reviews said much more than what you could have found around any fan forum, sure it was aggregated into a few videos, but by the time they got around to writing ep7 the general consensus was we wanted a closer to the og trilogy film in just about every aspect of the process. And thats what they did. Also that one user earlier in the thread that said soft reboots were already a thing and were working.

yeah but plinkett's whole gist was he was never 'angry' so much as he was crotchety, old and a murderer.

Nostalgia Critic wasn't really influential and nobody really apes his style outside of other channel awesome people, and that group is ded as fuck these days.

>soft reboots were already a thing
I can't name any off the top of my head aside from Star Trek (2009)

It bothers me Cred Forums talks about youtube videos. I thought this board was Television and Film, not internet videos and vine compilations...

I liked the review

I didn't like that he was sat in a fucking chair for the entire thing, why bother cutting back to plinkett world if most of the time it just shows him sitting there doing nothing.

Didnt they collaborate once though for a video

Creating the Plinkett character and storyline was a clever way to avoid sounding like another boring asshole on the internet reading an essay for eighty minutes.

>why bother cutting back to plinkett world if most of the time it just shows him sitting there doing nothing.

Just keep sitting there and drinking your coffee. It's okay, don't get up. Just sit there and drink your coffee.

because the strong narrative of the plinkett reviews make them 100x easier to sit through than the average droning autist youtube nitpicker video

He's doing it as a visual gag referencing "armchair directors /critics"

Mike's not into fur, that's entirely YMS don't go around saying such things asshat

no, his Plinkett reviews were just a meme spread on sites like Something Awful as a cult following at first that exploded. His opinions about the prequels have been largely debunked and his latest review shows he's butthurt about it.

>making movies
>hard work

He believed Hollywood directors that say it's hard work!

>amateurs ought to be held to the same standard as million dollar studios

Is it true that Mike Stoklasa has managed to trigger the fuck out of both SJW's and Cred Forumstards?

yes

and its GLORIOUS

now people will see just how retarded both sides are

yes

>mfw Mike gets credited for longform video criticism on the internet