Is he actually smart and just faking being stupid?

Is he actually smart and just faking being stupid?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zz0DKtWl-Eo
youtube.com/watch?v=F4RbTy5cqbc
dailymail.co.uk/news/peoplesdaily/article-3796730/Stop-monkey-driving-taxi-Moment-animal-thrown-cab-snatched-steering-wheel.html
m.youtube.com/watch?v=qpJpzCBJPVc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

obviously

He's an intelligent enough audio engineer who wasn't as exposed to the outside world as Ricky and Steve were.

He's not clever, but he's not as dumb as he's made out to be

who cares, all the actors and actresses are faking everything from acting to interviews. why do you question this one particular limey fuck ?

yeh

Pierre Woodman?

Yes. Ricky claims they wouldn't waste a character like Karl on a radio show but that's exactly what he'd say to throw people off the trail.

He's a comedian and that's his shtick. Look at me looking at everything and it's so average and nothing is exceptional. I wouldn't even go as far as call it acting stupid.

I've only ever seen the Moaning of Life and maybe a few other things he's been in but he's not stupid.
He makes a lot of clever observations and points yet he just doesn't put them together eloquently.

>Is he actually smart and just faking being stupid?

Yes, he's a completely scripted character.

He's not a retard like Ricky "The hyena" Gervais would lead you to believe, but he's not articulate at all.

I think it's fair to say that he's just playing an exaggerated version of himself.

LIKE A FUCKING ORANGE. Just look at it.

One could argue he plays it up, but I'm not so sure.
There are some even that say he's just a character created by ricky and steven, but I really hope that isn't true. I wanna believe

BACK AROUND

COME BACK AROUND

were you tall baby?

I don't get why people think it's so unbelievable that he is how he is. Maybe it's because I'm from a working class Northern family, but I've known a lot of people like Karl in my life.

people that think he is "faking" are legit dumber than Karl is

I think hes faking

he moved to London to get a job he wanted

most people in Manchester are actually thick and don't leave and wallow in their own filth

I think Manchester is where the bad teeth meme must have originated from, Its like they chewed on rocks as children

people who say its fake have never met a northerner

He's never been stupid, just says funny shit because he likes being funny.

youtube.com/watch?v=zz0DKtWl-Eo

People who worked under him, know it isn't an act

There's loads of guys in Manchester with that weird way of expressing their thoughts. Noel Gallagher's another.

Fuck off, Scouse twat. Go rob a car.

>white people are stupid meme
>glorious multicultural south strikes again

>poorthern """""banter"""""

He can't be that stupid if he was the producer of the show. To get that sort of job on a station that big requires a certain degree of intelligence and ability to do. I think he's just a bit slow in other faculties.

lots of thick people are good at their jobs

faggot

stop with your liberal beat downs

you will be reminding me of the steel mines next for votes

How can people claim Karl is an idiot after stuff like this?

DEVILISH
E
V
I
L
I
S
H

KARL will never leave steven alone, so fucking amazing

Based

you can always suprise positively when you pretend to be simpler than you actually are

He's very uneducated but he absolutely plays up his stupidity. He knows what's funny. He is not a "scripted" character written by Gervais though, anyone who thinks this is legitimately retarded.

Turns out, little monkey prostitute

How many times have you listened throught the XFM shows Cred Forums?
I'm at my third

MERCHANT ON SUICIDE WATCH
KARLBANTZ CANNOT BE TOPPED, CANNOT BE STOPPED

Correct. He plays up his thoughts more and more but initially he was really bashful about it. So it's really him, but he understands not filtering it as much is funny.

As somebody who has listend to litterally hundreds of hours of all the old xfm shows, all the new shit, every fucking thing out there, I can almost gurantee you Karl just, as everybody is saying, plays it up just a little. He knows exactly how to be 'karl' through years of just talking with rick/steve, he knows exactly what to say, and when they're setting him up. it's like a hidden agreement between the two, you just keep doing that, and i'll keep the money coming in, it just works. I suppose to some degree then he is faking it, but not really

At least 5 or 6. It's actually gotten me through some really horrible times and is my go to when i want to feel comfy or forget the put in my stomach guilt/anxiety

All I've ever wanted was to see Karl pilk in the street and just shout

HEAD LIKE A FUCKING ORANGE.

I know everybody shouts it and its just annoying, but he really is the LUCKIEST manc TWAT to ever walk this fucking land

HE'S DONE YOU AGAIN

He's faking in as much as he understands what he says is hilarious and his views on he world are ignorant but funny, so instead of hiding them he allows himself to go in unfiltered. Early early xfm when he started shows him very quiet with glimpses and he just keeps opening up. I bet Susanne would say that how he is is how he was in private before getting "famous"

fav season? SEASON 3 = MAGNUM OPUS, DEBATE ME. It's when they all find there flow and just perfectly blend

its crazy that i could have walked past karl in the street without knowing it. even in his xfm days

I'm sure he is genuinely an odd man with an idiosyncratic way of looking at things but he's not a div.

I know people who are socially inept but are wicked smah't as well.

Karl was certainly able to do his job well enough and preferred living the simple life until he got a taste of the money. Now he's more or less retired living in a comfy sea side house with millions to his name, no marriage to fuck it up and living easy as he prefers.

He hammed it up at times for sure but other times he couldn't be botherd like that spat of 'I don't want to do this anymore' shows in season 2 of xfm.

He's odd, has a weird - though not strictly stupid - outlook but he's not a retard.

youtube.com/watch?v=F4RbTy5cqbc

That's the second season though

I saw him in person once and was surprised how tall he was. He's about my height and I'm 6'2".

I always thought he'd be small.

theres this shadow right

go on

pushing people off bikes

OH FOR-- KARL, ARE-- KARL. ARE YOU A MORON--KARL.

If you actually listen to what he's saying and not what Ricky is screaming at him you can see that he's actually an intelligent guy who makes some good points but does a piss poor job of getting those points across and wording things properly.

Name me a luckier Manc then Karl Pilkers. I'll wait.

Listen to its at half speed, it's hilarious. Like they're all hammered. It's on YouTube somewhere.

karl should of been toad so badly

HEAD LIKE A FUCKING MUSHROOM

I'm honestly surprised no one has ever made an Ed Edd N Eddy edit of the three.

I can't draw for shit though so I cannot do it.

The second season is literally the worst. Karl didn't anything at all, and the team seethed hatred at one another.

It was also unfunny according to the Sony awards.

Aright, Steve....

Don't. Talk. SHIT.

theres nothing he really says that makes him stupid its more just his extremely pessimistic attitude and his statements which make him funny,.. and hes just one of those people that are funny. 'an idiot abroad' isnt a very fitting name. hes narrowminded yes but does he come out with stupid comments? not that ive seen

yes he obviously knows what hes doing, he knows his statements are funny. i dont think he acts dumb

>Steven says in nazi times he would be the prime example of the perfect Aryan race
>Karl inmediately cuts him off

REKT

KARL, IF THE MONKEY DRIVES TO SPAIN, WE'RE NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN

YOU'LL NEVER TALK ON RADIO AGAI-- KARL.

>do you ever think that, when you're older... That you'll be alone?

SAVAGE

he's DONE HIM AGAIN, HES DONE HIM AGAIN, HES DONE YOU STEVE

he's done ya

>Is there anyone else that you look like, Steve, or would you say you're a bit of a one-off?

kek

MAN MOTH?

On it

Are you me?

>It's a Ricky and Steve laugh at Karl for pronouncing bulb with a U episode

>Babalonians
>foodage

4:15 kek

he's a pretty strange guy who understands comedy so he puts everything on the edge for a laugh

does he believe his monkey stories? no. he obviously learned after the first few times that you have to fact check shit you see on the internet, but for comedy's sake he ran with it on the show.

does he believe and do most of the other retarded shit he raves about? yes

Binge listen about 4 times a year

>it's a monkey news turns out to be true episode

>it's a 'the parasite being baited with bacon' is true episode

Yes, England has an incredibly thick underclass. 1 in 3 people here believe in ghosts.

I still look out for stories that would make a good monkey news...

dailymail.co.uk/news/peoplesdaily/article-3796730/Stop-monkey-driving-taxi-Moment-animal-thrown-cab-snatched-steering-wheel.html

This would've been awesome!

Liam Gallagher

Lost count.

I got into them and listened to the podcasts about a year after they first came out, then after those 3 special ones I found that website where you could listen to all the Xfm shows, so I started listening to them. Then I just kept repeating every few weeks or months, from first Xfm to the most recent podcast.

At one point I downloaded all the Xfm ones (individually if I remember rightly) and put them into iTunes so I could listen to each 'series' of them as audiobooks from start to finish then move over to the podcasts. At some point I also got their last series of podcasts (which was pretty shit) and for a good few years I just used to start at Xfm and go right through over the course of days/weeks while studying or playing WoW or some other shit where I didn't need to listen to something.

I don't have iTunes anymore or the folders, so I sadly can't check but at a guess over the years (I haven't done it in a couple, mind) I listened to them start to finish over 20 times. It was just binge listening and somehow it never got old.

I know loads of people like Karl. Obviously not to the same extent but there's plenty of people like him around Britain, I'm a bit dopey myself

Also, when I listen to it I'll remember what I did while listening to it in the past like playing vidya or long journeys or studying for tests. If I think of games I played around the time I'll remember listening to it, too. I distinctly remember listening to it while playing WoW almost all the time for a while, EU3, even CoD: WaW - all sorts of shit.

It's almost hypnotic and I really doubt it'll ever be surpassed. The podcasts were good enough but all of that extra content from the Xfm shows blew my mind and the whole thing is just such an autistically comforting thing to listen to that I can still laugh at.

What is it about these three cunts that make there xfm show so comfy? Nothing, and i mean nothing comfier then leveling on Nost WoW and listening to these three. you'd think ricky with his fucking hyene laugh would ruin it but it honestly is almost soothing I don't fucking know all three of them are black magic

>1 in 3 people here believe in ghosts.

Just last week my brother randomly called me up and asked if I wanted to tag along to a medium-reading that he and my sister were going to, prefacing it by saying "I know you don't really believe in this stuff but I thought maybe you'd like to tag along...". For years I've just been assuming they weren't fools willing to throw their money to leeches.

Really makes you wonder how well you really know your family.

God knows, I found them about 8 years ago and listen to them randomly sometimes when I'm on a long drive or working. There'll never be a more entertaining comedy podcast or radioshow.

Where would karl be now if he never met ricky and steve? It seemed like he couldnt stomach his career towards the end of the series

Xfm was a tiny tiny tiny station

BTFO
T
F
O

I listen to them on rotation pretty much constantly. Either in rush hour on the way to work or at the gym or just on in the background

Feels pretty good

Is that Joe Rogan?

I like that the Dr Fox criticism has hit you quite hard

>Literally and unironically accuses flower companies of murdering princess diana to see bump up business live on radio to the nation
>Not an idiot

KARL, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, WHAT SORT OF TV SHOW WAS IT

I think it was a chat show

He didn't, though, he said his dad said that to him (and we don't even know if it was as a joke).

>Suggests chopping up the Queen Mother so there'll be shorter queues at her funeral
lmao

That's because he was being forced to talk on air when he wasn't comfortable with it and being literally harassed by Gervais both at and outside of work

I'd probably be willing to move back to Manchester and live in a shopping trolley in a flooded car park too

jake?

>Makes you think though dunnit
>All im saying is, it's a bit suspicious

Dr Pavel, Im...I can't be doin with this.

you're a bald guy

Anybody got a mega link to all the radio stuff?

I just got done listening to all of Chris Morris's shows.

That's not accusing flower companies of murder.

I could name any batshit conspiracy theory that has a coincidental factor involved and say that it makes you think, it doesn't mean I'm saying it's true or that I believe it to be true.

No but my name starts with a J, ends with an E and has an A in it! My god, you were so close! This is amazing! Can you ask my father where he left the keys to the safe?

How many fingers am I holding up?

from the latest Moaning of Life book

HE'S DONE HIM AGAIN

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MY GOD! I was actually holding up five fingers, BUT THREE HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY LUCKY NUMBER! HOW COULD YOU KNOW THAT?! Ask him where the key to the safe is, please!

Steve cops it again. xD

it's in his sock drawer in a single loose sock at the bottom

All I found was a dildo. Dad obviously hasn't lost his sense of humour after death!

ricky gervais blew it when he was constantly insulting him.

a stupid person would react accordingly.

He's not an actor you fuckwit.

>ricky getting absolutely btfo on the lighthouse lateral thinking problem

amazing

I feel sorry for Karl, it must be insufferable now, everytime he has to do any press and goes on the TV chat shows they always have this attitude that "haha he's going to say something stupid"

For a guy with 1 GCSE he still worked hard and got himself a career in producing radio. He's smart enough at doing what he likes and works hard but gets no credit due to Rickys portrayal of him to the world.

Karl definitely plays up in the later seasons (s3 XFM and later)

It's kind of like that Simpsons episode where everyone links Homer to the character of the same name on Police Cops.

After listening to the xfm show and ricky gervais podcasts and watching all things with karl, i'd say he's about average, you can notice he tends to exaggerate his ''dumbness'' as the xfm show/podcasts go on. Still hilarious though. Who doesn't exaggerate themselves around others?..

where can you listen to them, havent listened to them before

He pretends, well, I mean play up to his dumbness. I do it sometimes to make friends laugh.

No mega links but I know you can download the old shows/podcasts on pilkapedia, but google pilkapedia xfm shows or something and find them.

5E52FE7CA87FF0C3E7822745A24403D298D043FA

or youtube

Look, I agree, Karl isn't a complete fucking braindead retard.

BUT FUCK RIGHT OFF if you're trying to tell me he's actually smart. Not everything he says is "well, he's a got a point but he's articulating it poorly", some of the things he says are REALLY FUCKING DUMB

For gods sake, I've heard him talking about injecting old people with stuff so that when they die, you get a brand new baby. That isn't getting the point across poorly, that's being borderline mentally deranged!

>squoze

We can all agree that Steven is the true hero of the show, right?

He's literally the only one who can joke about himself, barring Ricky when Merchant ribs him. Karl can't take banter to save his fucking life, he's too stubborn. Sure, Steve is pretty cheap and small-minded, but he takes way more abuse than any one else on the show.

I'll admit that Steve knows how to tell a good story and has shown several times he's aware how to go along with a good joke.
Ricky is just there for the infectious laughter and funding.

The only thing Ricky's laughter infects me with is RAGE!

Steve's anecdotes are underrated.

He just operates on a different wavelength.

>that five-minute thing about seeing a girl on the train

Fucking brilliant, like /r9k/ stream-of-conciousness.

This.

I remember watching some outtakes from a show he did, and there was a whole bunch of the outtakes where they had to start over because he started laughing his stupid laugh. Actors laughing when doing a funny scene is usually funny, right? Except he wasn't in the scene. He was watching the actors from off the set. And they were doing HIS script. He was laughing like a fucking madman, ruining take after take, at his OWN FUCKING JOKES.

Steves one liners are underrated and hilarious, always just adding to karls nonsense stories and making ricky do that stupid trying not to laugh out loud but holding it back sound

"Oh, troubles brewing" merchant throws them in perfectly to karls stories

>upright lizard being given electro-shock treatment

Sometimes his laugh works.

This is the best outtake I've ever seen. Cheers me up all the time.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=qpJpzCBJPVc

>He's literally the only one who can joke about himself
Wrong. When Karl starts having a go at him, he always acts surprised, gets stiff and formal and if the situation gives in, he starts mocking Karl in a bit of rage. In some clips he just acts defeated.

Karl's the one who always gets mocked but still carries on with his stories.

He just can't communicate.

Like I say, the first time I saw Steve I was never havin' a go, it was just, 'oh that's different' but you know, Steve, I was never havin' a go, it's just that thing, 'oh right interesting'

Is he the smartest stupid person or is he the most stupid smart one?

The difference is that Karl, for one, often means exactly what he says - most of his "jokes" are just calling Steve straight-up ugly. Oftentimes he's straight up insulting - he knows he can't get back at Ricky, so he goes for Steve instead.

Now, Karl does get interrupted, but the thing is that he NEVER, EVER admits to being even in the wrong slightly.

The entirety of Karl's diary is just fucking genius.

I'm going through the XFM show right now, season 1 right now.
It's taking me a really long time, with each part being an hour long and there's like 60+ episodes each season.
Right now it seems like no rhyme or reason to it, they're just yelling about random stuff, at some points I'm having trouble hearing what they're even talking about.
Does it get better and more coherent on the later seasons?

Yeah it gets more 'structured' over time. By S2 they know what they're doing a bit more. Still, the chaos of the show is why i like it.

The first season only has 24 episodes though, season two has over 5o, season 3 has about 12 and season 4 has 8 eps.

He's a genius. "The Donald Trump of the UK"

nobody's smart enough to act that imbecilic - he'd need to be a flippin genius like einsteing or sumfin

i mean, how do you think stephen hawking has been able to fool us with that wheelchair act for years?

Except he is.

It was a local radio show from 2001 mate, where half the show was music and the other half was just meant to be topical chat between Ricky and Steve.

Karl was never even meant to be on the air, but over the 1st series into the 2nd, grows into the centrepiece of the whole show.

The XFM shows are widely regarded as the purest and funniest stuff they ever did, and I would agree.

>Wo fund deUgh8 in lho boouoy and happlnoss oj children lbaL makos thw hooA loo blg foor Jo body

i think ricky also misinterprets what he says on purpose
karl always talks about having simple desires being a positive (being fine staying home and watching tv, not needing to take expensive vacations) and ricky will talk about how much of an uncultured bafoon he is because of this

these are amazing. got any more?

Steve keeps the show together. If it was just Ricky and Karl, the conversations would go almost nowhere.

He's very intelligent but poorly educated, socially maladjusted and incredibly inarticulate.

I don't think Ricky has the subtlety to write a character like Karl

We find delight in the beauty and happiness of children that makes the heart too big for the body.

Cheers m8. I can't be the only one that struggled with reading that text though.

This. Lumping everything into "smart" and "stupid" is reductive.

Yeah, they're better in the book, looks like these have been vectorised to make them bigger.

..and that's them all.

HE'S DONE YOU AGAIN STEVE

piratebay should have a compilation of the XFM shows, podcast, and specials

>It's the Karl travels to Japan and climbs Mount Fuji episode.

Pure idiotkino

He's Stepin Fetchit. His job is to confirm Ricky's ugly attitudes towards people a half-step lower in social class than he is. He knows this and plays up to it, and Ricky and Steven know that. You're listening to three people patronising you, not two people patronising one.

It's quoting something said as sarcasm between two working-class people.

>no marriage to fuck it up and living easy as he prefers

Thought he had a girlfriend?

>It's Karl says something perfectly reasonable and Ricky tries so hard to make it sound stupid that he sounds literally retarded himself

Ricky genuinely tried to argue that you can't get bored of a single piece of art even if you look at it every day