Grimy LA movies?

So after years of wanting to see it, I finally watched Repo Man and loved it. One if my favorite things about it is that dirty LA setting, which got me thinking about some of my other big favorites, like They Live, Falling Down, and Lethal Weapon. Anyone got any other recommendations along these lines? Simply being set in LA isn't enough, I need it to feel dirty and hopeless too.

To Live and Die in L.A.

>asks the girl if she wants to fuck
>she says no
>he reeees at her
>she says OK then
>they fuck

Im mad as fuck. Do Americans really give up the v that easy?

Predator 2
LA confidential
Battle for Los Angeles.

They do for Emilio estevez

Vice Squad

This is good, thanks user. Despite being one of the few who likes P2 as much as the first, I don't think I considered it if only because how much of it takes place at night. Something about the way the sun just washes out the city has always stuck out to me in the movies I mentioned above. Could also be that general point in time, because I don't really get that feel from more recent movies in that setting.

I wonder if I'd feel differently about the setting if I had any first hand experience there rather than living on the other side of the country.

No Man's Land
Trancers
The Hidden (1987)
Modern Girls

These movies are 80's core, but they show parts of L.A. - Hollywood in particular - that were run down and shitty until they got Disneyfied in the late 1990's.

Mah nigga. Wings Hauser is the fucking MAN in that movie. He even sings that cheesy/awesome "Neon Slime" theme song.

Training Day, Chinatown, Boyz n the Hood, The Limey

It's because he was young and hot, bro.

Terminator, 8MM, Bladerunner, Strange Days

Cobra

>Bladerunner

Probably opening a big can of worms here, but which version? I've never seen it because ice always been unsure of which cut to watch.

Never watch the theatrical.

I don't know that feel.

I think it's such a good movie that you should really watch all the different versions to get a sense of it's artistic possibilities. Many people had the theatrical release because Ford has a noir voice over that he hated doing, but I actually appreciate it because it added context and content to one of my favorite movies. Explore all the versions, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

"had" - hate*

Fuck, don't know how I forgot that one

This movie had a god-tier soundtrack

Training Day

Training Day, Rampart, Heat, and Chinatown. also, while not LA movies, I'd say Boogie Nights and Big Trouble in Little China have that dirty feeling in their settings that I think you would appreciate

Never did catch that one. I'll have to check it out now. 187's pretty grimy.

Colors, blood in blood out, american me

>I'd say Boogie Nights and Big Trouble in Little China have that dirty feeling in their settings that I think you would appreciate

I definitely do

def Nightcrawler
LA is a character in itself

ESCAPE FROM L.A.!
How has nobody posted this?

187 fits the bill senpai.

You want to watch the final cut. It has the Ridley Scott approved ending and all the violence.

You definitely should, it's great.

Seconding the 187 rec

Collateral

Trancers
Valley Girl
Blue Thunder
Night of The Comet

Airheads
Valley Girl
Fast times at Ridgemont High

People are just giving you generic recommendations of movies that take place in LA, but based on your OP, I think you're looking for a very specific kind of "feel" of LA. For me, They Live would be the prime example of what you're looking for. It's gotta be something from like 1980 (when urban areas were fully turned into shit) to 1992ish around the time of the LA Riots. LA started changing and getting safer in the late 90s.

Cobra - I agree with this suggestion. Ridiculous movie, but captures the vibe
Terminator
White Men Can't Jump - I assume you aren't looking for comedies, but it captures the dirty Venice Beach vibe
To Live and Die in LA

>I think you're looking for a very specific kind of "feel" of LA

Exactly. Good call on Cobra and Terminator. Adding the other two to my watch list.

I love Airheads but it's definitely not what I'm looking for.

Miracle Mile (1988) is a great example from a slightly later time period. Goose from Topgun and Tasha Yar running around glitzy late-80s Downtown LA in the early morning hours leading up to a Nuclear War. lots of interesting characters and period setpieces that just scream the 80s.

Nightcrawler has a different feel than most of what has been posted here, but I think you could make the argument that it fits.

Falling down

Strange Days would be my #1 pick for OP. One my favorite movies of all time.

Vice Squad, 1982. It has Wings Hauser as a pimp named Ramrod. Need I say more. Essential viewing.