Modern Horror Movies?

I really like modern movies that have been releasing lately. I particularly loved Neon Demon although I love movies that are more gore based. Does anyone have any recommendations for movies past 2005?

Pandorum is pretty alright.

This looks good, thanks. I feel like fans of this movie might like the game, SOMA

Midnight Meat Train

Modern horror sucks. Why are kids so obsessed with only watching movies made in the past ten/fifteen years?

Man, get outta here with your old man bullshit. Some of these movies have cool effects

old movies are for old people

I guess. Lucky for me that I get all the good horror movies.

Under the Skin

This

Thank you, friend.
Yo, I'm not saying you don't have good movies, I'm just saying that sometimes those old effects kill me inside even if the movies are dope

Downloading it now! This looks really good!

Holy shit this is a great list!

This picture was made before Witch etc. came out.

Thank you for the list!

Witch was kinda weird man, hahaa

Oh shit, I gotta mention that American Mary (while not horror really) is an amazing movie. I love the concept behind it and I'm kinda bummed that it didn't go further in depth on stuff.

I am actually watching this right now

I'm enjoying it so far. I honestly thought the concept was gonna be kinda lame but this isn't too bad.

All these mediocre movies.
Effects, like other things in films, follow trends and fall out of fashion. The grimey over designed gore effects of today will look silly and cliche to your kids.

How is that horror?

Same way They Live was.

It's not really at all.

This one was a pleasant surprise

This is new, what's this about?

Does it fall under a different genre other than horror to you guys?

>Does it fall under a different genre other than horror to you guys?
It's thriller / mystery, with hints of horror. Mainly thriller. Some action.

Oohhh, okay. Either way, I'm intrigued. Gracias

I recommend this movie like crazy. I haven't seen the second part yet but the first part was absolutely disgusting and I loved the filth

If you like John Carpenter, you'll probably enjoy the movie.

The only good thing about that movie was liam cunningham , i wouldnt recomend it just because of him

Then I am definitely interested. The Thing was pretty good

We Are Still Here was a good Fulci pastiche.

IYO, what was wrong with it?

This motherfucker right here. Best damn splatter since Evil Dead II. Didn't even try too hard like some shit (Dead Snow...), it will become naturally a cult hit.

>Best damn splatter since Evil Dead II
*since Braindead

Correcting myself. Dumbass.

Very good lovecraftian madness.

why i never heard of this? the cast is strong too

if you liked semeon demon you'd probably like starry eyes

I've seen this title floating around. I don't want to ruin the movie for myself but is there a particular reason you liked it?

because it's a slasher only with guns

It's ok. It kind of came and went.

>Pros
- Nice 90s-esque atmosphere (think Candyman)

>Cons
- Shitty fucking slow-mo close-up CGI splatter

>I don't want to ruin the movie for myself but is there a particular reason you liked it?

It was good. Captured perfectly the paranoia, and "character going mad" of some Lovecraft and Poe stories.

Thanks haha

This looks intense, any reason why you liked it?

Ooohhhh. It sounds good, downloading now

i've heard a lot of it but people say it's pretty mediocre

>This looks intense, any reason why you liked it?
It's really great psychological horror. Reminded me kind of Polanski and Cronenberg.

Goodnight Mommy has a great trailer

I didn't like the film that much though.
The twist was too easy to see coming which ruined it a bit for me

Oohh, well, I downloaded it so hopefully I like it at least a little

I'll have to check out the trailer!

Green Room was fucking INTENSE!

What was this about? I heard a lot of mixed reviews telling me to either stay away from it or it was absolutely amazing.

Blue ruin is better

>even if the movies are dope
>dope
cringe

Not the same poster, but I thought it was really good. It's better if you don't spoil the plot for yourself. It's a solid gory action thriller, almost a horror movie though it's not supernatural at all

Only reason it's getting any attention is because Yelchin is dead. Still a 7/10 movie. Nothing amazing, but worth the hour and a half.

Western Hills Have Eyes

Don't read anything of the plot. Simply watch it.

>almost a horror movie though it's not supernatural at all
Are you implying horror needs to be supernatural in order to be horror? What a moronic ideology.

>OP "loved" Neon Shit
>Also is enjoying Shit Follows
who would have thought

It was getting attention way before Yelchin died. IE when it came out.

Are the two movies similar somehow? The names just seem like it to me.

Hush you, don't be a weenie

Thanks! Guess I'll go in blank haha

Oohh, that makes sense

I will, thanks!

yeah, amongst people who liked Blue Ruin. Didn't gain much mainstream traction until he died.

Just finished It Follows.

A monster that fucks to death, ahah

>Are the two movies similar somehow? The names just seem like it to me.
Same director.

Drag me to Hell is more comedy than horror desu senpai.

Hahaha why do you say that? I think I started it but never finished due to something or other interrupting me

This. Also, actress is major qt

So parts are so outrageous, and the special effects so corny that the end result comes across as funny. I always thought it was purposefully done to get a laugh... kinda like Peter Jackson's Braindead. Perhaps 'thriller' would be a better term.

But some of them old horror movies are fucking garbage. After a certain point in life, you start to appreciate both old and new movies, as long as they're good.

op is reddit

Solid list. No Audition though?

pix plz

I actually do but why is this relevant? Is this cuz I'm nice? Haha

I also felt let down by this movie. Not terrible, but not too surprising and well executed. I wouldn't remember much of it if it wasn't for Liam.

I'd say it's as much horror as Army of Darkness. Comedy horror, or perhaps supernatural comedy if we want to get kinda precise.

I guess you're right if we consider "modern" at 2000.

What, like Tucker and Dale vs Evil?

>wider

what did he mean by this?

also anyone else get the feeling keanu is a pedophile? his movie choices lately have been centering on sex with young girls. and themes of rape

Drag Me To Hell = comedic horror
Tucker & Dale = horror comedy

I don't recall anything supernatural about this flick. Comedy thriller is the closest I could think of.

Not exactly horror, but Blue Ruin and Murder Party by the same director are bretty gud

Do you think movies are real?

Starry Eyes was pretty good.

I could see how Green Room could be considered horror by some. Not as appropriate for Halloweentime as Murder Party (which is perfect for this time of the year), but I'd give it a pass.

Cred Forumsirgins GET OFF MY BOARD

>No 'Darkness Falls' or 'Jeepers Creepers'.
>Drag Me To Hell

what a a shit list.

Yep I agree. Plot was so so, but it was very nicely made. Location was gorgeous.

Evil Dead 2013 in 4K is beautiful.

I felt it cribbed heavily from Rosemary's Baby, in mood and tone; and (obviously) paled in comparison. That being said, if I hadn't seen Rosemary's Baby when I saw Starry Eyes, I'd think that Starry Eyes was very good. It was solid.

Has some of the best, and most jarring gore effects I've seen in a long, long time. I think that the boys who made it knew something that I've only recently just managed to put into words: violence is more effective when you have some conception of it. Think of it like this: there are very, very few people alive who have been, say, sawn in half, and lived. There's more who are quad-amputees. Even more who've been shot. But almost everyone's had their hand jammed in a door. Violence whose pain you can imagine, I think, is significantly more successful in provoking a reaction than violence that you can't imagine. The closer it is to something that everyone's experienced- but sufficiently apart- the more wince-inducing it is.

Despite all the memes that the Witch (or VVitch, whateverthefuck) gets here, it was delicious

detention
cabin in the woods
tucker and dale
you are next
evil dead
black swan
paranorman

optionally
attack the block
babadook
John Dies at the End

rest can be safely skipped, also the fact i watched almost all of this is kinda depressing, since i guess i got nothing horror related more to watch

>Trick 'R Treat
the worst bullshit ive ever seen

I disagree. Maniac, Kill List and Antiviral, while not all Excellent films, each floated interesting ideas and successfully executed them. However, I really enjoyed each of them. Maniac, for once, makes good use of the 1st person perspective, neither motion-sickness inducing or jarring. While the ending wasn't for some people, I thought Kill List was Excellent. The premise of Antiviral was a little silly, but that it stuck with it, bared its teeth and went all in, was admirable. I liked how it did body horror. I'm looking forward to what Little Cronenburg does next.

Funny, since i actually hated kill list with passion.
Still im not saying rest is unwatchable, but that at best its below mediocre.
Ether being so low budget it actually ruins the viewing experience, or completely failing in the realization.

The ones i mentioned are better and should be watched first if anything.

Oh, why did you hate it?
Re the ones you chose- I'm not disagreeing with you, they're all good picks (with the exception of John Dies at the End, which I felt was aimless, unfunny, dull and not remotely scary- like a meandering pop-culture cash grab with sock-puppet characters and sock-puppet motivations- and Detention, which I've not seen). Different strokes, is all.

Cant remember honestly since i watched it a while back, but i remember i hated the editing and camera work and i gave it a 3/10 in imdb.

Neon Demon is not a horror movie though. Even if it has a gory scene.

>the worst bullshit ive ever seen

That would be your post.

>black swan

Ya blew it

>such weak bait
wat, people arent trying anymore are they

>Neon Demon
>Horror

pick one , just because Refn saw a slasher movie and wanted to autistically replicate it doesn't make it horror.

Tell me how Black Swan is horror, you autistic numbnuts faggot.

its not, its more of a thriller/drama movie, still it was on the list and it keeps more tension than most of those other movies

By that convention Wicker Park should also be on that list.

>Shadow of the Vampire
>mediocre

Nigga pls.

Just finished Resolution 2012
pretty good

Actually after think on it a bit definitely most unique and well done horror movie i saw in ages.
Im surprised it flew so under the radar,