youtube.com/watch?v=L9Mf5UBFvH4
youtu.be/Vkfks9hwNO4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causal_loop
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

DUDE JUST TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF

>i dont get it

because you're male and not a bawwww-woman who loves bawwww dramas

the colony that brand started on edmund's planet evolved into the 5th dimensional beings that saved cooper to save themselves.

any questions?

Kill yourself.

Interstellar is one of the best "hard sci-fis" ever made.

youtube.com/watch?v=L9Mf5UBFvH4

That is not it at all.

You should watch the film again.

Don't worry about it OP - The same people that rave about Interstellar are the same idiots that rave about Inception. Namely, because they'd lick the shit out of Nolan's arse.

Was it a good film? Sure, it was ok.

...Tell me user, what other films do you regard to be "hard sci fi"? Star Trek 09 perhaps?

you've convinced me

>that guy

>interstellar hard sci-fi

gawd you twilight bsg fangirls are the cancer of civilization

Wow, this is the most spot on answer ever to interstellar.... Its actually pretty simple now that I think about.... Fuck

If the 5th dimensional beings are humans evolved: Why alter the past?

If the 5th dimensional beings are another species: Are they helping humans just for the hell of it?

This guy is obviously insecure about something, who knows what exactly. The science in the film was well researched. Derivative? Derivative of what exactly?

Did this guy even fucking watch the film? The formula that was handed down by McCunnyhey allowed humans to find the answers to a theory of quantum gravity. This guy sounds like he has his head so far up his own ass that he doesn't even remember why he dislikes the film.

Actually, it is.... 10/10 movie btw so rewatching it is always a pleasure

>why alter the past?

They didnt alter anything... Is your feeble mind able to understand time paradoxes?

Ummm never seen twilight, never been a fan of star shit, still think interstellar is top 5 space sci-fi films

He probably hates the film because he's a failure himself who lacks the creativity or ingenuity to create anything of meaning. Failure breeds contempt. That's basic human psychology.

They didnt change the past, they were a part of it, the two timelines (present and future) coexisted at that moment..... Read up some time paradox theories

Dont know if you watch GOT, but its the same thing that happened with bran, in the future, and hodor, in the past. The events in the future are what created past events

>hard scifi

Kek. user it's pretty straightforward if your autism did not manifest at such an early age

ok
why did they burn the crops?
why did Mann try to kill Cooper?
who was Anne Hathaway's love interest? I don't remember anything about it being brought up until she mentions his name and something about missing him
in the colony on Saturn at the end, why did it curve up and over at the sides? not sure how else to describe this one, but an example would be the baseball hitting the house's window from below
how did Cooper make it from the tesseract to the colony on Saturn?
why was TARS such a qt?

DUDE LOVE LMAO

>If the 5th dimensional beings are humans evolved: Why alter the past?
You can't change the past because you already have.

ie; the future humans were not altering the past; they were initiating the events that would lead to solving the gravity problem to save humanity. it had already happened, but they still had to go through with it at some point.

why create tesseract to get another person to talk to someone on earth and risk said person not realizing what tesseract is for instead of directly communicating to earth?

WHY NOT COMMUNICATE DIRECTLY TO EARTH INSTEAD OF GOING THROUGH ALL THAT ROUNDABOUT MUSH?

because that's not how love works

>why did they burn the crops?
Who's "they"? Farmers burn crops that are compromised by viruses or fungi to save the rest of their crop. Murphy burned the crops to create a diversion for her brother.

>why did Mann try to kill Cooper?
Because he wanted to escape the planet and return to Earth, but witnesses would kind of fuck up his plan. I'm sure he didn't want to return to Earth as a prisoner.

>who was Anne Hathaway's love interest? I don't remember anything about it being brought up until she mentions his name and something about missing him
Her love interest was the astronaut Edmund, who's planet they passed over in favor of Mann's.

>in the colony on Saturn at the end, why did it curve up and over at the sides? not sure how else to describe this one, but an example would be the baseball hitting the house's window from below
The structure is in space, presumably LEO (Low-Earth Orbit, I guess it would be LSO) around Saturn. There's not much gravity there, so, they "make" gravity by rotating the structure. It's a centrifuge, everything inside feels a gravitational force away from the axis of rotation (the center). Same concept is used for ringworlds.

>how did Cooper make it from the tesseract to the colony on Saturn?
Magic

>why was TARS such a qt?
idk but I would love to hang out with TARS

>Who's "they"? Farmers burn crops that are compromised by viruses or fungi to save the rest of their crop. Murphy burned the crops to create a diversion for her brother.
oh shit, I probably should have mentioned Murphy and the doctor
but what did her brother need a diversion for?

Her brother wanted her out of the house because he friend, the doctor, was saying they couldn't stay there. The farm was the last thing Affleck's character (forgot name) had in the world. After losing his daughter he probably had some mental issues too.

Murphy needed to be in the room to idk, sort her thoughts or some shit. And of course to be there to receive the data on the gravity problem.

I mean it all kinds of falls apart there, fucking Nolan can't end a movie well to save his life. Except Memento. Nailed that on.

Realism is for boys.
Formalism is for men.

youtu.be/Vkfks9hwNO4

Time is a flat circle

WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO GOT TO DO WITH IT?

answer this question

>it had already happened, but they still had to go through with it at some point.

If time is infinite, why would they have to go through with it at some point?

Wait I guess I forget something. Cooper goes after Brand at the end. Is that necessary for the Edmund humans to survive? Or can they just evolve on their own and become the 5th dimensional beings?

Maybe a Tesseract is the only way to send a message back in time? They establish (about halfway through the film with some expositional dialogue) that you can't travel back in time; relativity allows time to move at different speeds but there's no reversing the clock. So they needed the Tesseract, and Cooper falling into it, to get the info to them. They knew from history that Cooper and TARS descend into the black hole during that fateful mission, so they build it there.

If it was a easy as sending a dude back in time to Earth, I'm sure they would have done that instead.

To expound on this, it's worth noting that the future humans never "send" any info back. The solution to the gravity problem is in the information TARS gets during his descent into the black hole/ tesseract. So in reality it was the one, ONLY way to get them the data they needed.

Who said time is infinite? I mean, as far as we know time "started" with the big bang so it's definitely not infinite.

Humans are always evolving, and in 100,000 years we will probably be unrecognizable to whatever humans evolve into by then.

I'm just gonna repost this every time someone talks shit about this movie. Great answers.

then you are a woman

Gravity is love.

Jesus. Stop, please

He broke the space time continuum and told himself from the future to the past how to spy on his qt daughter

I thought the movie would be better if they just used the science plan to make a new space colony

sex with men

>not just the wrong thread, but the wrong board
fuck

>does not send info about gravity propulsion directly to earth because they do not have the data even though they know enough about gravity to create a tesseract

prat whore is still pottery

Thanks user. I'm not immune to flattery.

I honestly thought interstellar was a great movie, personally in my top 10. The cinematography was done very well and the acting was fantastic! I genuinely enjoyed this film.

As I just pointed out they can't "send info" anywhere. Their only hope is to get a computer and a human into a situation with special gravity; ie, a black hole, so that THEY can solve it.

How Cooper and TARS get out of the tesseract is a big fucking mystery though, I would have been satisfied with them dying. I mean, that's a lot more probable than magically teleporting them out of the collapsing tesseract.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract

Fun reading if you weren't a total fucking shut-in in highschool in which case you already know this.

Why were there floating upside down mountains on that ice planet?

Supposedly all the gasses (clouds) had frozen or some shit.

it was pretty nuts, but fun. I don't think the ice planet had a lot of grounding in real science.

Frozen gas clouds you dumb mother fucker. This movie wasn't hard to understand.

nerd shit

It was you fucking nerd.

So those solid frozen masses of gas are just not affected by the planet's gravity or what?

>not being completely turn to pieces when approaching the blackhole

Interstellar is a bad heavy handed poorly written movie.

If you watch the movie you dense mother fucker, you'll notice that many of the fozen gas clouds are connected to the mountains/ice. Come on man, the movie really wasn't hard to understand.

Is incomplete user, they didn't show the best part of the plot, you are supposed to just believe their "explanation".

Is this Chris's bro's bit? Can you post it please.

You'd think it'd be easier to make a greenhouse or a fungus resistant species than evacuating earth.

The dust bowl was a real thing. Trying to feed a planet with greenhouses is ridiculous.

Bottom line is, in the movie the Earth was fucked. They never explain why but I think it's pretty obvious: climate change.

The power of love, and I'm sure if you guys send some love we can all succeed and be happy :3

>Interstellar
>hard sci-fi

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>So those solid frozen masses of gas are just not affected by the planet's gravity or what?
Who the hell ever said frozen gasses can't be lighter than air?

>If the 5th dimensional beings are humans evolved: Why alter the past?
Because predestination causality paradox. Cooper figured out it was evolved future humans that created the tesseract and the worm hole so now evolved future humans MUST make the tesseract and worm hole

The Interstellar shuttle is nothing but typical. It's pretty interesting. The shape particularly suggests it's designed for multiple re-entries.

meant to say anything but...

you realize that's a situation where something that didn't exist (because humanity died out) altered the past to create the circumstances for it's eventual existence, right?

There's also that whole problem that if it can SSTO multiple times without much concern for fuel, why bother with any other type of space craft?

Nobodies answering the real question as to why 5th dimensional beings would give a fuck about humans

hence why it's called "A PARADOX"

What came first the chicken or the egg?

Top baitpost.

There was never a situation where anything else happened. It was a causal loop.

Because they were evolved humans, who were setting their own existence into motion

It was refueling on the big ship each time. And the kind of propulsion that is efficient getting a small payload into orbit might not work as well for large payloads in space

From our perspective, cooper almost died like 5 times, but from the perspective of the future humans, he already succeeded and the universe just needed a couple bits of adjustment to make it happen

>Hard science fiction is a category of science fiction characterized by an emphasis on scientific accuracy or technical detail or both.
Interstellar is definitely hard sci fi.

>There was never a situation where anything else happened. It was a causal loop.
Did you even watch the movie you fucking ape?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causal_loop
Inserting alternate universes into things where there is no suggestion that they exist, including real life, is pure fucking autism.

>Interstellar is definitely hard sci fi.

But that's wrong.

>It was refueling on the big ship each time. And the kind of propulsion that is efficient getting a small payload into orbit might not work as well for large payloads in space

Nah man sorry but that small spaceship was absolutely retarded. It just left the planet with crew on board like no biggie. Pls. With what kind of fuel and no large visible tank is that possible? Anti-matter? 90% of a space shuttle is fuel and it's stored in this huge tank that's much larger than the shuttle because that's what you need to leave a planet.

It's laughable to call it hard sci-fi.

It's like, advanced technology, fag

Stop being such a shitter.

Hard sci fi has nothing to do with the technology being close to our own, it has to do with the technology not violating laws of the universe. You can have a rocket that's 50% more efficient than the ones we have now, but you can't have warp drive. Star war for instance is soft sci fi because the technology presented makes absolutely no sense (space ships with wings flying around like they are in air with pew pew lazers). Something like 2001 is hard sci fi because the technology presented is consistent with our understanding of science (centrifugal ships to generate gravity)

It must crush you to realize that your master Nolan isn't perfect.

>This is a movie made to makes stupid people think they're watching an intelligent movie, because an actual intelligent movie would go over their head.

>I have run out of actual arguments
>I will just say something completely irrelevant, surely that will convince them

>It's like, advanced technology, fag
You can say the same thing about anything we see in Star Wars

>Hard sci fi has nothing to do with the technology being close to our own, it has to do with the technology not violating laws of the universe
"Oh it's sooo advanced and distant from our own tech that we can't possibly understand it but it's totally not violating the laws of physics I promise."

Sure friendo.

>It operates in the exact same way as current launch vehicles do, except it's more weight efficient
>OH MY GOD I CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT PLEASE HELP ME

>handheld laser weapons in sci-fi movies operate the exact same way as current, large vehicle mounted laser weapons, except they are more energy efficient

Glad we all understand now what you consider hard sci-fi

>it has to do with the technology not violating laws of the universe.
The "tesseract" bullshit is already violating laws of this universe, so I have no idea what you're blabbering about.

No they do not. Most of the time, laser weapons in movies act like conventional projectiles that travel slower than bullets for some reason.

Have you ever considered the possibility that you are retarded?

2001 is widely considered to be hard sci fi despite the ending being entirely fictional, why is interstellar different?

I think you should try to learn more about things before you talk about them.

>laswer weapons don't operate like laser weapons

I'm not talking about plasma blasters nigga. Stop injecting your retardation into my posts.