Will we ever have a new big sci-fi franchise?

Will we ever have a new big sci-fi franchise?

Nope. With Stah Wars becoming a yearly thing, and Avatar on the way, people won't even try. Unless I suppose you count Avatar as the new big sci-fi franchise.

Tetris trilogy will be GOAT.

I think once people stop watching sequels and give hollywood the hint to try being creative again

hope in Dune by Denis Villeneuve?

i dont want a fucking franchise
there's enough franchises already

Is it too much to ask for a decent original stand alone sci fi movie?

I'd really enjoy a franchise based on The Culture series but I doubt this will ever happen.

The Expanse is pretty good and it's popular enough to have gotten a second season.

>a fucking tv show

kys

Don't you think you're acting a little dramatic. Regardless, some of the most popular sci-fiction franchises in existence started out as tv shows.

but they try that too, every year, but then they fuck up with PC, romance, clichés and shit

>Detective show in space

Hey, neat. Thanks for the tip-off.

Does the Dark Tower count?

It's got a few different plot threads with different focuses that work together fairly well when it comes to world building and giving it some verisimilitude.

>5th element will be a franchise some day

screenshot this

You would need something deemed 'safe' to utterly fail like starwars to get a massive market change.

That show is very bland.

Future haircuts and fashion->hipster haircuts and fashion
Future smartphonescurrent smartphones+made of glass
Ship design->take any "realistic" design of a future ship from deviant art and paint over it
Alien threat->replicating virus

And a very very badly done attempt to copy the atmosphere of Blade Runner with the Mars setting and that main detective with the "I'm-a-broken-man-with-a-troublesome-past-as-evidenced-by-my-broken-smartphone-and-my-metal-core-haircut" routine.

Also the main guy has a geek-meets-john-snow face, works and lives in space/mars but is built like a professional athlete and of course lives a shitty life while still taking the time and effort to go to a depilation.

The show is really nothing special.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is Luc Bessons new sci-fi joint.
Given how passionate reports made it seem he was about the movie plus the early footage shown at Comic-Con, I think it might end up being alright.

Maybe I'm just desperate user. I'm aware it's not perfect but I enjoy the world-building and involving the politician character the most, the rest of the stuff is interesting enough. I'm biased towards the genre so I'm happy to see anything this watchable.

Someone with moxie could give the Hyperion series a go.

Or maybe the Night Land by William Hope Hodgson, that's public domain I think, so it's cheap and the setting is cool besides.

Even if it did happen they'd fuck it up
I'll stick to re-reading