What went wrong, Cred Forums?

What went wrong, Cred Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=592&pid=1677831
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I dont know. Ive never seen it.

I can tell you right now though that because its popular, chances are that it will be described as 'reddit' at some point in the thread.

reddit

I haven't watched it but it's fucking terrible

Heard how amazing it was, though I had my doubts. Sat down and binged it and... I want to fucking stab someone.

I would adopt Eleven and feed her Eggo's and let her hair grow out and take her to the school dance, but the rest of the show can get fucked.

>seems legit

>Eleven
>Still pretty...

Nothing.

children on a mongolian cat herding social network learned that average people liked it, so they hated it.

their go to slam is that it is "too nostalgic", even though they were born in the 90s.

It sucked and you are wrong.

not enough frugguh

Just nothing OP, it's the best show ever

pretty

I thought it was pretty good. I was worried that it would become too much of a nostalgia circle jerk at first, but it seemed more concerned with the characters and plot than that, so it worked. It was surprising to me to see characters who would act like actual humans would in situations. Also liked how the teenagers went on the offensive against the monster, don't get to see that awesome.

It was.

Biggest disappointment was Nancy ending up with Steve.

>table_flip.gif

There was absolutely nothing original put in it. My shitstained panties have more originality than this tripe.

Cred Forums liked it and reddit liked it. Cred Forums is contrarian to anything popular, so now Cred Forums doesn't like it.

kill yourself pedo

it had really good camera work for a netflix show. there is some really good shots in ST that i didnt expect

Froggo McPumpkin is a cool guy

Not enough pedo fanservice.

Reddit: The Show

Season 2 on the way :)

Kill yourselves pedo fucks.

You're a stupid faggot. The show was fine but nothing special.

But I'll miss season 2

It was fine. Had a generally comfy vibe and a nice soundtrack. Plot was pretty straight forward and the acting was good. Props to david harbour especially.

But I always forget that "pretty good" or "alright" aren't valid opinions on this board so, fuck me I guess

Not enough monster, too much screen time for children running around like headless chicken. They should have introduced the monster by episode 4, not wait until the season was almost over. If they make an entire season about one creature but only give it a handful of minutes screen time and hide it until 90% of the season is done then something went wrong.

There was a clear focus on the creature and the world it inhabits and I feel that it simply took them too long to finally show it. Being mysterious is one thing, but needing 5 of 6.5 hours screen time to build up the core point of the show? Seems a bit overkill to me. Too much time was blown on them simply searching for Will.

>i dont like things that are popular you fucking normies

Nothing, stop projecting

fuck you
it was shitfest start to finish
pointless garbage
reddit the show

It's not really that popular desu

age >30 = liked it
There's literally no reason the monster couldn't have been Doug Jones in a monster suit.

That dude works for peanuts, judging by some of the trash-budget horror films he's been in, and there's no denying his talent for being weird creatures.

And then, if you're going to go for a shitty looking CGI thing, definitely don't have it stand around in a well lit classroom in wide-shots before it dies, because that whole scene looked like shit and took away any emotional impact it was supposed to have.

it was a dude in a monster suit, he even had robotic hands and everything, theres an interview with the guy who played the monster somewhere i dont remember his name
they just did some cgi over it because they ran out of time

Steve even wailed on him with a real prop. That bat with the nails was made of foam. It was definitely all real

also fuck everybody for forgetting how much more of a budget, schedule, and privilege (in the sense that they can get away with whatever) they'll have next year. it'll be better, holy fucking shit

How fucking new are you?

It went downhill during the last few episodes after they find Barb's corpse.

They tried too hard to emulate the things that inspired them.

This is possibly the only.thing wrong with the show. 10/10 otherwise, and perhaps, despite this.

nothing. It was fun and cheesy and made me remember the good parts of my childhood.

I'm 35 and Cred Forums has probably the oldest posters.

>Cred Forums has probably the oldest posters.
good joke

There are still a lot of older posters here, despite the invasion of the reddit kids.

This.

Oldfag here. Fucking kids are shitting up the board acting all edgy and contrarian.

Stranger Things was a solid 8 if not a 9. It was comfy as fuck. It would be a 10 if it wasn't for some occasional lazy writing and ugly actors - I know they tried to make it look real, but those kids weren't "real", they were fucking weird looking. Also Mike's dad is a shit actor. Aside from that it was top notch.I think making Jonathan look like T2 John Conner was a nice touc too. Also, super happy that Winona has work now. She's a qt3.14.

Oh yeah and every underage b& faggot needs to fuck off to Cred Forums

I really liked it.
Also what went wrong was Eleven's sacrifice.

>they were fucking weird looking.

I was actually glad for that because I was getting tired of seeing movies/shows where almost everyone in the cast looks quintessentially pretty.

Well there is pretty there's normal looking and then there's weird looking

You are part of the problem

watched for winona
stayed for eggochan

That girl should play Leia Organa in a prequel remake reboot. She looks very much like young Carrie Fisher

I don't understand, why did he jump? It's implied he knew the fall would kill him, and he must have known the bully won't hurt toothless too bad. So why did he want to kill himself?

His love interest ran off and they couldn't find her anywhere
I'd do the same as mike 2bh

How so user? Simply because i'm old enough to have seen all the stuff this was ripping off while I was growing up?

He could have just gotten a box, a stick with a string, and some eggos, and he would have had her back in no time, but instead he decided to kill himself.

Stupid fucking emo fag

He was sad about Will not El

>He was sad about Will not El
Why would be so sad about Will? Other boys didn't care as much.

No nude El scenes

Kill yourselves pedo fucks

I have to say that girl is a great actress. She's fucking busted looking IRL but she was a total qt3.14 in the show

>fucking busted looking IRL

That's why other boys aren't as good as Mike

>good
He's 12 years old and ready to commit a suicide because of broken heart. I don't think that's a good thing.

kill yourself pedo

That chin and nose are going to keep growing, mark my words

She looks manlier than I did at her age. And I'm a man!

Hell yeah, another Hansenbro. I love imagining myself jetting across the country with a gang of Hansenbros kicking pedo asses all day. It's so fucking dope.

It's too long and lacks depth. The writers are hacks who will never make anything worth watching twice.

She'll be fine

why?

Because you're a faggot and nobody likes you

kys pedo

The shills were only paid to hype it for a certain amount of time.

Too much synth music. Real 70s/80s didn't use synth heavily unless it was accompanied heavily by an electric guitar.

If they wanted to emulate the effect of the 70s/80s they should have used stock ambient rock music and made all the kids little asshole punks with a boner for plaid.

I don't get this hipster boner for faux-80s shit. It's like the over glorification of Rome but for leather and neon.

You too? Based. I'm going as Based St. Hansen this year for halloween. I'm going to look up all the houses on the sex offender registry and trick or treat there and tell them all to have a seat. It's going to be so fucking awesome

His character had more depth than any other kid character, including El, and his acting was as good, if not better, than hers. It's a damn shame the actor doesn't get more recognition.

Winona who was supposed to the main attraction of this series was terrible, I still can't decide if it's because of her overacting or poor writing.

Overall the show was good, I really enjoyed the soundtrack and most of the casting choices. Much better than the usual tv shit desu

>What went wrong, Cred Forums?
Not too much.

>Last episode plays it a little too safe
>Shouldn't have shown the creature in the light. Haven't got the budget for it to look convincing enough and it's always creepier in the dark

and
>Season 2 should be in universe but with entirely new characters or in a different universe with the same cast.

I want it to be left ambiguous. I don't want a continuation of the story. Pretty happy with it as is.

>Cred Forums

The Netflix format.
Too long for a feature film but still directed and written as one.
The result: a hell of a lot of filler, repetition, and long-drawn drama.

Having said that, it's still a very good show and one of the best things on screen recently. Looking forward to S2 which hopefully won't be a dud.

No 13 year old was a punk in the early 80s in bumfuck nowhere USA. They were already stretching the realism with the kids listening to the Clash.

Right man, it's really a bummer that his filming schedule conflicted with the promotion tour so the other kids got all the credits.

That's literally where all the punks were because they thought it was cool like dipshit kids.

>a hell of a lot of filler, repetition
Such as?

dat smug

Can't think of a single early 80s US punk rock band that didn't start in CA or the East Coast. Maybe a few in Chicago or the Lakes area but those usually moved to the coasts asap. Even Chicago-based labels like Touch and Go had mostly bands from elsewhere.

>didn't start in CA or the East Coast
Should probably be "that was based in".

Nothing, it was pretty good.

The plot could have been more ambitious. It was a simple plot done well, which is perfectly fine, but not 10/10 material.

Unnnnggggh. She makes me diamonds like nothing else.

I just got finished binging the entire seasons for past 8 hours. It was pretty entertaining. But obvious drawbacks are the laughable CGI quality and that 90% of the child script was screaming and shouting with the characters going through more mood changes than a bipolar teenage girl on her period.

The only really shitty thing was the monster. It looked like shit. I get that the series has budget limitations but it would've been better if there was an actual costume or animatronics that they mixed with the CG, instead of just total CG. They should've kept the monster hidden instead of showing it out in the open near the end.

In their defense that's how kids are for the most part.

Winona's tantrums were inexcusable though (and I like Winona generally).

They actually did have animatronics and costumes. The plan was even to go with practical effects as much as possible but that didn't work out so good so they went with CGI instead for most of the scenes.

Hi I just wanted to tell you that everything in your post is wrong. Carry on!

I'd score it at about a 7. It had a lot of potential but kind of squandered it.

It could really benefit from some stronger villains and a bit better writing. The bits with Hopper going all Solid Snake in the lab and then later on just walking away from getting caught just wasn't believable. Neither was Will surviving so long in the other dimension. The effects also suffered a bit towards the end.

That said, the child actors were good and most of the adults were fine as well. I'll hope for improvement in S2

>tfw most of the people who worked on special effects for the eighties horror classics like the Thing or the Fly are retired or passed away
>tfw the knowledge and skill have been lost forever
>tfw it's only CGI bs from now on

You didn't like the kid with the speech impairment? I thought it was a nice touch.

Everyone I talk to that was raving about how it was the best show of the year doesnt evem mention it in passing anymore.

This is why binge release will never catch on, it has no staying power.

>The bits with Hopper going all Solid Snake in the lab and then later on just walking away from getting caught just wasn't believable
That part could have been cut entirely a nothing of value would have been lost.

Bands aren't people. People in bands are people.

This.
The Netflix format could survive only if they have enough dosh to market it like crazy, I mean bus ads in Azerbaijan-tier crazy.

Yeah, it was incredibly silly, especially when they had the villains cold bloodedly murder the restaurant owner who knew way less than Hopper.

ok?

Middle schoolers though? Maybe it was different in the 80s, but when I was a middle schooler we were too cool to shout and scream at each other all the time. We mostly just cursed a lot (which the show got right for the most part).

Good observation. I also thought the pacing of the show was off but I couldn't really put my finger on it. It definitely did take way too long to build up and has this weird thing where you believe one of the main characters to be dead, only to find out almost immediately afterwards that he's alive...

It's like they threw that in just because they had to get that amazing Peter Gabriel cover in there, probably because David Bowie had died recently. It felt forced and kinda clumsy. Other than that though, I think I enjoyed the show.

Probably my favorite part was where they showed how female sexual politics work between friends, namely the house party and the pool. There was something about that scene that I just felt was so real and well done, it was just like the old high school drama bullshit that I remember back in the day between chicks.

>Probably my favorite part was where they showed how female sexual politics work between friends, namely the house party and the pool. There was something about that scene that I just felt was so real and well done, it was just like the old high school drama bullshit that I remember back in the day between chicks.

While I think those scenes were well made in themselves, they were also a bit unsubstantial in the large scheme of things. The entire teenager arc felt a bit forced and unnecessary, like they had more time to kill and decided to go with an entire romance story arc with high school characters, even though Jonathan could have been quite enough to showcase that age group.
It's like they had to choose between IT and Elm Street and decided to go with both at the same time, despite the obvious differences in tone and and style.

Going with a lot of practical effects may not have worked out but at least the duffer brothers tried unlike 99% of the others today

The monster could have worked better in either one of two ways:
Either make it a placeholder for some abstract boogeyman/gov't conspiracy and don't show it almost at all, or make it an actual villain with personality. That is how eighties films usually done it, it's either a big hammy motherfucker like Feddy Krueger/IT, or some weird nameless nightmare like in Cronenberg's films or The Thing.

It's a bummer but since he's the only genuinely talented young actor from the cast, I expect he will gain his recognition quickly. The girl they are promoting is not bad herself, but she's already sold and turned into a buisness mascot, so I don't think she'll be taken seriously as an actress. And the toothless fat kid is a terrible actor but seems to be a nice person, too bad his looks and poor acting skills sentence him to be forever typecasted as a funny ugly guy.

>sold and turned into a buisness mascot
What do you mean?

>le 80s nostalgia
>le wrong generation
This show is basically the force awakens, it makes money off stupid people by mindlessly adhering to their nostalgic emotions. It's soulless and corporate which is something Cred Forums should hate but the Reddit invasion has gone too far so this show is now accepted here

kek, well played

You should watch the show user it's pretty good.

Her management pushes her do to enormous amouts of fan service related things. Photoshoots, interviews, appearances on fashion shows and galas - that's what high profile celebs do to stay relevant. Only she's not relevant as an actress yet, even though her acting is admittedly good, she has only one relatively 'big' project proving that. Pushing her so hard into stardom when she's only 12 and impressionable and easily manipulated is in my opinion a grave mistake, and a useless one too. It just uppers up her chances to become next Linsday. Or, if she's smarter than that, next Emma Watson, which hardly makes things better because Emma's fame doesn't stem from her talent or good movies either. I have nothing agains Eleven being the poster girl but I feel like they are flooding her with responsibilities, making her a bait that's supposed to keep the fans happy and interested, and it's a great burden for adult experienced actors and she's just a child. It's bound to backfire.

On the other hand, Mike actor is not exposed enough. I've read his review on The 400 Blows, I can tell he is intelligent and insightful for his age. He takes his future in the film industry seriously, does his research, ect. I would love to have a longer interview with him in which they don't ask him about kissing scene and don't force him to poorly rap or sing, or dab, but I doubt it will ever happen. Eleven is more relatable because she's fun and pretty and goofy, whereas he is too awkward and serious, and clearly much less social. He won't get roles because people love him, and sadly that's usually how you land big roles in Hollywood. I hope his talent will be enough to keep him afloat and relevant, he certainly has it in him but it's just that nowadays that's not enough to make it in this industry.

They couldn't straight up murder the chief of police, it would raise too many flags. They thought that maybe they could fix shit and he would never come back.
No idea why they didn't shoot Hopper when he showed his face at the facility again, though.

>They couldn't straight up murder the chief of police, it would raise too many flags.

Why did they try to do it later on then with the lethal injection?

Can't blame her agents for trying to push her everywhere. Blame the media or the showrunners for making her such a meme character.

the entire 3rd act

As usual Bret Easton Ellis nails it like almost no one else is capable of. Listen to his scathing review of it in the intro to this podcast.

podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=592&pid=1677831

As a fan of 80s horror (I'm 31 and was raised by the Horror section at the VHS rental store) and someone who has seen all of the Stephen King movies among other classics, this show instantly struck me as tedious. I stopped watching after the 2nd episode and didn't look back. Bret didn't even have to finish the first to realize it.

>Millie
>Not genuinely talented
Not even trying to waifupost here but if you think Finn is the only one having genuine talent you should watch the show again. Mostly agree with the rest of your posts though

>can't blame her agents
No, they are shit. They should choose wisely instead of pushing her everywhere from low profile cons to emmy awards gala.

10:35
Skip the boring screed on trigger warnings

Well to be fair he had like x7 times the lines she has on the show. Most of her direction cues consist of looking sullen and/or pointing at some CGI greenscreen.

Honestly, shave it off.

It's subjective really. Her acting is good, maybe she is as talented as Finn, but when I was watching the series for the first time, it was his character and acting that impressed me more. I have hard time taking Millie seriously anymore, which might be the reason why I can't appreciate her good performance (and I have watched the show again). I haven't seen anything else with her, but it seems like her role in Intruders was similar to Eleven. If that's the case, it means she just recreated her previous role to a degree, hardly an indicator of a great talent. I think Finn has more chances for getting unique and original roles, but as for now it's just wishful thinking - until we see how he's doing in IT, at least. Regardless, they both should keep acting.

Kill yourselves pedos

It's not only about the lines, his body language and facial expressions feel more natural to me. But that might be intended, since her character isn't 'normal'.

You know a guy is talented when he can talk for 10 minutes about 15 minutes worth of a show he watched.

His only complaint is that it isn't edgy and sexy enough. I wouldn't call it scathing.

I think it mostly comes down to unimaginative directors. Drew Barrymore in Firestarter was basically the same character but was a lot more lively.

This.
It's the same automatic complaint people make when hearing about the concept and going "le ebin eighties reddit meme show", only more articulate and without greentext shitposting.

That podcast is a trip.
Bret and his guest going on about how they're awesome artists and everyone else sucks and how they aren't 'trying' to be edgy and controversial, they're just like that naturally.

Larry Clark specifically is fucking cancer.

You're both sub-literate. You typify the fans of the show.

I agree, 'Bully' is actually his only good movie IMO. Thankfully Bret mostly talks about that in the podcast.

btw, do you realize Bret wrote American Psycho?

Turning off a multi-episode tv show after a few minutes because you basically got the idea and believe this qualifies you to make a thoughtful comment is as "sub-literate" as it gets.

Yeah I noticed that. The guy certainly has his own preferred style of writing.

I believe the people who stick with forumlaic shows, pouring hours of their free time into them, is the surest sign of subliteracy there is in modern media consumers

To put it in 4chanese, he's basically tumblr: the director. His films are usually a loose collection of segments meant to be super duper edgy with crazy wham lines and moments. You can just see the GIFs being made with the subtitles and that obnoxious filter.

Bully and Another Day... are possible exceptions.

Using formulaic as the only negative qualifier is also not much for literacy. Most (all?) media products follow some formula or another, the question is how they pull it off and what nuance they bring. The fact that you can figure out from episode one the guy gets the girl, in itself, does not make it bad.

It was never right.

>showing the monster in first two episodes
>subplot is about a teenage girl getting dicked

Great show if you're a 30yo single mother

Making all the characters drug addicts and serial killers is becoming fairly formulaic too.

>>showing the monster in first two episodes
Literally did not happen?

she'll be 18 in just a few years pal

Why does he look constipated

Patronizing.
It was cute and had comfy aesthetics, but that was that.

most Cred Forums post ever

He is making a face to hide his discomfort or in bid to look cute and funny.

all these little freaks will be forgotten by then.

>Patronizing.
How so

>Stranger Things blew up because Gen X and Millenials are man children who need to be coddled by nostalgic and inoffensive entertainment

Holy shit this man is based

>no 13 yo was a punk in the early 80's

Where do you think all those fucking noise rock and hardcore artists grew up my dude?

Ever heard Kerosene by Big Black (Steve Albini)? Literally all about living in bumfuck nowhere.

Chicago might a bit shabby but it's def not bumfuck nowhere.

If you don't get his point...

While many bands are "based" on the West coast, NY, etc, many of those punk musicians originally were born and grew up in shitty nowhere towns.

Man, the vast, vast, vaaaast majority of HC/punk bands who operated in NY/DC/CA are from NY/DC/CA.

>And the toothless fat kid is a terrible actor but seems to be a nice person, too bad his looks and poor acting skills sentence him to be forever typecasted as a funny ugly guy.

You mean like this fat, ugly, no-talent hack?

To support my point and make it Cred Forums related

Kill yourself, ropleplaying gramps

Way too much exposition.
Like that whole sequence at Eleven's mother house.

It had too much everything, they had eight hours to kill.
Next season will be even worse as it's nine episodes with even less material to use.

very little for what it set out to do, but there is room for improvement nonetheless. We'll see how S2 turns out and what direction they take.

You'll also notice that most posts that call it "shit" without any middle ground also contain the word "reddit". Make of that what you will.

Why does she look like a young Natalie Portman?

jewish genes

I don't see the relation with Intruders. Neither in performance (save for the fact that both were great [for a kid]) or the character she portrayed.
All I can say is that Millie's body language was extraordinary in ST which really does show she has genuine talent.

Let's hope her talent won't get wasted then. I'm interested in both her and Finn's careers, and I look forward to seeing them in other projects.

As am I. I really hope they didn't shit the bed with this It movie as movies like these have a habit of doing that. Let's hope for the best for both careers