Star Wars Prequels: what could/should have been

I had honestly forgotten about Yoda being in lightsaber fights and jumping around. It got me thinking about what people thought the prequels were going to be versus what they actually were. I personally would never have given Yoda a lightsaber, nor would I have had the Jedi Order dressed like Tatooine natives. Anyone else have ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9DI8kkR9G0Q
youtube.com/watch?v=CK6wqpNKdh0
youtube.com/watch?v=PcjnbIF1yAA
furiousfanboys.com/2014/05/the-star-wars-prequels-model-or-cg/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

True, it was beneath Yoda and Sheev to use a lightsaber. They should have given yoda green lighning powers and have him fight the emperor flying all over the senate while shooting kamehamehas

That would've been cool

>Yoda is a Jedi
>the lightsaber is the weapon of a Jedi
>"why is yoda using a lightsaber"
Because he's a Jedi and that's their weapon.

In a way, that is what we got at the end of the fight. It's like Lucas realized halfway through writing the scene that he was doing it all wrong but forgot to erase the beginning.

skip to 2:40

youtube.com/watch?v=9DI8kkR9G0Q

The prequels would have probably not been anywhere near as hated as they are if they used way more practical effects and sets. Its only been what 10 years and the movies are a huge eye sore as the CGI bombardment is out of date looking.

>"why are Jedi wearing robes"
>"that's Tatooine clothes!"
Monks wear robes, and Jedis are space monks, so they wear robes.

Tatooine people also wear robes because of the climate. It's fine for Tatooine people and Jedi to both wear robes. Tatooine people also wear pants. Does that mean nobody else in all of Star Wars can wear pants?

Not to get too off topic but the one glaring thing RLM pointed out in the Force Awakens that really hit me was the way no one was allowed to have moments of genuine humanity in the film. Half of the interaction between the characters comes off awkward because the only time they share genuine moments are when it's played up for laughs.

>why are these monks dressed like they live in saudi arabia?

The people who point out this supposed blunder of the prequels also fail to account for Yoda wearing 'Tatooine robes' in Empire, and ghost anakin wearing them in ROTJ

It's awkward because they just met. Humans are usually pretty awkward with people they don't really know.

Also, there's plenty of interactions in TFA where they aren't being awkward, like when Finn and Poe meet back up, or Finn and Rey in that castle, or when Han talks to Rey alone and offers her a spot on his crew.

That's an invalid criticism.

And Luke when he confronts Jabba specifically trying to look like a Jedi

Jedi robe

True, too. Yoda also wears the Tatooine robes, as does Emperor Palpatine.

He wears that when he meets up with Vader on Endor as well.

Jedi robes, farmer robes, faceless man robes, monk robes and everything robes.

You people makes me smilling.

At the very least, Jedi should have worn something akin to what Stormtroopers wore, minus face masks and more mobile in the joints for lightsaber use. Then when you have the Stormtroopers "take over" guarding the Galaxy it's an easy transition for people to accept, plus it looks more regimented and less "tatooine robes."

Robes are clothes that lots of people wear in Star Wars, including Jedi.

>I personally would never have given Yoda a lightsaber, nor would I have had the Jedi Order dressed like Tatooine natives.

It made sense for them to use Lightsabers though. Jedi can counter attacks with the force with a Lightsaber, so naturally A Sith Lord would need something else to fall back on. And the Jedi don't use the force to attack people. That's why they carry Lightsabers in the first place. 'A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense. Never attack'.

>Monks wear robes, and Jedis are space monks, so they wear robes.

They're Samurai. Their robes were meant to visually emulate Japanese clothing.

>Jedis

Hmm..

>The prequels would have probably not been anywhere near as hated as they are if they used way more practical effects and sets.

Except they used more practical effects than the OT. Every interior was an actual physical set. The only CG was used for Clones, Gungans, battle droids and space ships. Everything else was locations, miniatures and matte paintings, just like the OT.

Why?

Stormtrooper armor isn't going to help you against a lightsaber attack, and they can already deflect blaster attacks. All it would do is hamper their movements.

that looks completely different from tatooine robes

But he is fucking 875 in ROTS, why is he hopping around?

>They're Samurai.
No. Samurai were military. Jedi aren't military.

>Their robes were meant to visually emulate Japanese clothing.
Their robes don't look Japanese at all.

>nitpicking the grammar of a fictional word
>fails to use an ellipsis correctly
Hmm...

He uses the Force to enhance his body, because the Force is able to overcome and ignore physical limitations (this is what that sequence where he lifts the X-Wing in Empire is all about).

Yoda is an elderly Jedi Master, not a knight.

they could still conceivably miss blaster shots or come into contact with some kind of alien beast or situation that would require some more protection

i don't think it would hamper movement enough to be worth not wearing, that shit looks pretty light anyways

Then why is he walking with a cane? Why aren't Obi-Wan and Vader jumping around in ANH?

And the lightsaber is the weapon of a Jedi, which includes Jedi knights and masters alike.

They can't deflect all blaster attacks, and why would you need to defend against lightsabers when, for "a thousand generations" there has been no significant threat of people attacking you with a lightsaber? It could have been a plot point, the armor being a "crutch" that Jedi began to rely on instead of being in touch with the force, seeing themselves more as a military force than spiritual leaders, that way when Anakin decides to strip off his armor and go kill all the Jedi they are that much more defenseless because jedi's attenuation to the force has lapsed over generations and generations of giving people lightsabers because they have a tingling of force ability, not realizing that the force is a finite source of power and the increased use of it by so many beings in an effort to protect the galaxy has caused individual force strength to diminish.

I dunno, for me, the "Clone Wars" was actually an attempt to "clone" powerful Jedi to bolster the republic against some alien force which backfires horribly when A: each Clone makes the rest of the Jedi less powerful and B: attenuating to the "Dark Side" in a Galaxy of light-side uers gives that Dark Side user immense power to counterbalance it. The Force must always be in balance. Again, trying to explain how one Jedi could wipe out all of the others.

He was a Jedi master, not a Jedi "knight". I always kind of viewed there as being a distinction. Like that being a Jedi was something more akin to a religion or a philosophy and that it was the knights who took that philosophy and applied martial principles to it.

We never see Yoda train Luke in the use of a lightsaber. It seemed completely unimportant to his philosophy, even antithetical (a Jedi uses the force for knowledge and defence, never for attack). The image that Yoda presents in Empire and Jedi is of someone who if faced with conflict would let himself be struck down like Obi-Wan rather than fight.

Hell the fucking climax of Jedi, where Luke finally proves that he understands Yodas teachings involves him THROWING HIS LIGHTSABER AWAY.

George Lucas wasn't writing by himself yet

They used tons of practical effects mate.

Because he doesn't use the Force to enhance his body all the time. This is like asking "why does he pick up an apple with his hands instead of using the Force?"

age matters not

But he was in charge of the story. And he did write ANH by himself, Lawrence Kasdan didn't step in until Empire.

Even so, we should have gotten something more cerebral and interesting than using telekinesis to hurl shit at each other.

They can't deflect them all, but armor also doesn't save you from all blaster attacks anyways. In fact, it doesn't seem all that effective against blasters (I remember reading it was worn to prevent attacks from things like bullets, but that might no longer be canon).

So basically, they'd be losing a ton of mobility (including the ability to deflect blasts) in exchange for armor that really isn't that helpful. Not a good trade-off in my opinion.

>We never see Yoda train Luke in the use of a lightsaber.
We do in deleted scenes, which were cut for pacing

I like this. I like your line about letting himself be struck down. And it works with
in that they're sacrificing themselves to seed more "light side" into force users which could have a contaminating effect on Vader. This could be implied from lessons learned in the prequels instead of just outright said. You don't want to take away Vader's agency in the climactic scene, perhaps just something to wonder about... COULD it have an impact? We don't know, maybe!

Luke, did I ever tell you that Jedi are being hunted throughout the galaxy even now?
I just though I'd warn you so you didn't do anything overt to draw attention to yourself
So make sure you don't flash your saber, use the force, or wear the distinctive robes of the Order.
What do you mean, you don't know what they look like? I'm wearing some right now, and have been for as long as you've known me.

The tailor was a good friend.

There is a huge area you skipped between eating fruit and hopping around.

A Jedi Master is a Jedi.

The lightsaber is the weapon of a Jedi.

Therefore, the lightsaber is also the weapon of a Jedi Master.

Your headcanon is irrelevant.

>We never see Yoda train Luke in the use of a lightsaber
We also never see him poop. So what? Pretty sure Yoda still poops.

Again, we're told "the lightsaber is the weapon of the Jedi" and we're told that Yoda is a Jedi. Therefore, it's a logical conclusion that Yoda uses a lightsaber.

Ep I was actually a decent movie if it wasn't for all teh midichloriansbullshit and webm related

He also says a jedi doesn't use the force to attack, so him having a weapon which relies on his ability to use the force is somewhat contradictory.

Jedi don't abuse the Force. If they can do something without the Force, then they do it without the Force.

Yoda can walk just fine without using the Force, plus there are hoverchairs. He doesn't need to use the Force to get around, so he doesn't use it.

This, I know they're meant to be simple robes, but even instantly recognizes them as Jedi.

TC-14 immediately recognizes them

Taun We too.

Not the OP, but you're the one that is closing your eyes. "weapon of a JEDI KNIGHT" is the actual line. There is reason that Yoda is referred to as a master, and emphasizes that he is not a warrior. You just need to open your mind to different interpretations.

and I don't mean just Jar Jar, the whole battle scene was both a shitty premise and badly executed, George was trying to push the CGI a little too hard for the time

He says, "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack!"

He's using the Force for defense.

Lightsabers don't rely on the force besides construction

Jar Jar could have been replaced with a great character who was trying to prove his worth to his people instead of this bumbling retard bullshit

Guy's, there's no right or wrong answer. I'm just saying that I personally wouldn't have given him a lightsaber. Palpatine either, I think they would both view them as unnecessary.

That's just the ebin fast talking, quirky, "AWK-WARD!!!!" bullshit that people over 40 seem to think the kids today are like.

Your interpretation is wrong, as clarified in the prequels.

Just cut out all the Gungan bullshit, they are unimportant to the story. Taking the army out of the city could easily have been rewritten as something else.

Your interpretation of the prequels is wrong, not because of the OR, but the prequels themselves... that doesn't make sense.

*OT

This whole thread is about how to fix the prequels, the idea is what would have made sense for I-III using just the original trilogy and ignoring everything from the prequels.

The whole advantage to a lightsaber over a blaster is you can deflect blaster shots with a lightsaber, and you can only do that if you have Force powers.

Also, the whole "not cutting off your limbs" aspect of using a weapon that has no weight to it. Prior canon used to view this as one of the reasons only Jedi used lightsabers.

>There is reason that Yoda is referred to as a master
Because he trains Jedi Knight, who use lightsabers. Logically, he can use them himself. There's no reason to assume he can't or he wouldn't.

He never says he isn't a warrior, either, just that war doesn't make a person great.

If Jedi can produce enough force to do things like lift an X-wing out of the water, why are lightsabers even a thing? At least in Jedi vs Sith combat, you'd figure the two force users would just crush the internals of the lightsabers and render them useless. Is there a canon reason this doesn't happen?

Watch the Yoda/Dooku fight for why.

Because force users subconsciously counter these attempts as a form of defense

There were transcripts of George's talks with Kasdan during writing process for ROTJ, and he stated that Yoda is a teacher, not a warrior, he doesn't use a lightsaber and he would probably get his ass handed to him by Vader in a fight. Obviously, he changed his mind later.
I'm too lazy to search for them now, so you can tell me to fuck off

You can wield a lightsaber without being force sensitive. Han does it in ESB, and a Mandalorian warrior does it in TCW.

In the new comics Leia, Han, and Chewbacca also wield lightsabers in one scene when escaping from a Hutt who collects Jedi artifacts.

Come on, Dooku used lightning, and Yoda absorbed the lightning with his saber. I'm talking about just using the force to destroy the beam generators themselves.

Eh, okay I guess.

It's in THE MAKING OF RETURN OF THE JEDI book, which is actually a good read.

Again, just using OT content, Han using a lightsaber as a knife in one direction is plausible. Using it as an actual sword on the other hand...

I'm not saying "you need the Force to use a lightsaber" and am well aware anyone can swing one around, as well as the comic you're referencing.

>Jedi aren't military.

The Jedi were always a paramilitary organization.

>Their robes don't look Japanese at all.

I respectfully disagree.

Forgot image.

Watch the fight again: they throw things around with the Force, but find they're evenly matched, so they go to lightsaber fighting.

I'll never not be shitter shattered about that. It's like that asshole flipped to a random page in a biology book and said "hey, this mitochondria thing is really cool! It seems that cells engulfed an entirely different life form which has maintained its own DNA and provides us with energy! What's the absolute least amount of effort I can go through to knock this off? Mito, mido, midi, midicho, midichlon, midichloria, midichlorian! Perfect!"

Yoda obsorbs the energy with his hand. Obi-Wan and Mace Windu are the ones who have to use their lightsabers?

Which makes zero sense.

I guess the whole yoda lightsaber thing is an age indicator nowadays.

I fucking hated that shit but I'm 25.

I don't give a fuck about yoda saber fight. I would have had ep 1 quest have direction, instead of them just crashing on the world and needing parts for the ship I would have had jin find a connection between hutts and the federation and have him using the crash/podrace as a cover for his investigation. I would also have had sheev secretly poison padma so she does not have a chance to sway vader back, instead of her losing the will to live. I think these and few other small changed would have made the movies a lot better

30 hear, never understood why he would have one and be jumping around like a lunatic.

>prequels has a lot of memorable planets, moments, characters and moments
>force awakens has
yeah i mean Han dies but yeah, that's really it.

>tfw will never see how episode 7 would've been had Lucas did it but someone else wrote the script

I don't see how it doesn't. They were matched with the Force, so they went for an alternative. That makes appropriate sense. Especially for Dooku since it's his specialty.

>The Jedi were always a paramilitary organization.
Since when?

The only similarity is that they're both robes. It's like saying Jedi robes are meant to emulate bathrobes because they look similar.

And anyways, samurai are known more for wearing samurai armor.

Phantom Menace was such a lost opportunity.

>"Why would they fight with lightsabers?"
Because they fought with the Force first and that was going nowhere. They say as much in the movie.

that is his sith apprentice outfit

>Since when?
since obi talked about his days in the war and leia asked him specifically due to legendary jedi war skills

PREQUELS WERE COMFY AS HELL AND NOBODY CAN DENIED IT

>Since when?

Since always.

>The only similarity is that they're both robes.
None the less, that's what they were visually inspired by.

>samurai are known more for wearing samurai armor.
Only because that's what you personally most visually identify Samurai by. That clearly wasn't the case with Lucas.

Luke did i ever tell you about the time i didn't have your sister's family send me lots of money that i could give to you to give you a better life?
I wasn't a very good friend

>It appears this contest cannot be decided by our knowledhe of the force, but he how we bash at each other with glow sticks

Just because Lucas wrote retarded dialogue to go along with his retarded concept, doesn't excuse it.

Leia never brings up him being a Jedi.

Kenobi describes the Jedi Knights as "guardians of peace and justice," which doesn't sound military in the slightest.

Depending on the style the robes look more or less like Samurai kimonos

>9gag

>Mark Hamills head shopped onto Adam Driver's body

You need to leave

>Leia never brings up him being a Jedi.

True, but she does directly refer to him as 'General Kenobi'.

>Kenobi describes the Jedi Knights as "guardians of peace and justice," which doesn't sound military in the slightest.

Well that's just like... your opinion, man.

Jar-Jar, Jake Lloyd, Hayden Christensen, cartoon Yoda, comic relief evil robots, a coughing robot, terrible plots

>COMFY

>Since always.
Nothing in the original trilogy supports this.

>None the less, that's what they were visually inspired by.
Based on them looking the same. Again, using that logic, the Jedi robes are based on my bathrobe. I mean, hell, my bathrobe looks more like what they wear than what you posted.

>Only because that's what you personally most visually identify Samurai by. That clearly wasn't the case with Lucas.
That's how everyone identifies them.

Google Image search "samurai." Samurai wear armor. Outside a few pictures of them out of their armor (where they're wearing normal clothes for a Japanese person at that time, because there's no such thing as "samurai robes"), the majority has them in armor. Visually, the Jedi are not based on samurai.

Did not even notice the 9gag mark, its from google anyway. my point it looked mildly sith

>implying military does not guard peace and justice
yep there is no way knights fighting in a war would be military

He has the rank of general because he fought in the Clone Wars in the Republic's army under her father (not Vader, but Bail Organa), who wasn't a Jedi.

Dig this: if I'm a Christian and I'm in some army, and someone calls me "general," is it because I'm a Christian, or because I was in an army? Where did I get the title?

OH MY GOD DO YOU NOT KNOW WHAT THREAD YOU'RE IN, YOU FUCKING RETARD

>Nothing in the original trilogy supports this.
true, if you ignore the original trilogy then nothing in it supports this
>based on my bathrobe. I mean, hell, my bathrobe looks more like what they wear than what you posted.
prove it. post pic

this was clearly a lazy way for George to get Yoda to get his little green sword out and jump around. The Force was originally much more ethereal than "try and throw shit at each other, then give up and have a sword fight". Yoda and the Emperor were clearly so powerful that trying to fight a sword would be a waste of their time.

There is no such thing as samurai robes. Those guys are wearing exactly what any Japanese man wore in that time period. You wouldn't look at their robes and say "yep, samurai." Their swords would be the tip off.

And their robes don't even look like a Jedi robe.

>lazy way
It's logical. If you can't beat your opponent with the Force, you gotta beat them another way.

And if we both can move stuff with our minds, we're going to be at a stalemate, because you can just stop anything I can throw at you.

Sorry, but it makes sense, "lazy" or not.

>Nothing in the original trilogy supports this.
The original trilogy gave practically no information about the Jedi order.

>Based on them looking the same.
Precisely. Jedi robes were directly inspired by Japanese attire.

>That's how everyone identifies them.

Not to George and the people who designed the costumes.

Militaries make war, not peace.

Ergo, Jedi Knights aren't military.

honestly I didn't mind the lightsabers so much as the acrobatics of the masters. Yoda was so strong he could have used the force like a shield, literal shield and sword knight if he wanted to be. I think a lot of people's head canon got in the way of something that was never going to be. Lucas never envisioned Sidious and Yoda as a bunch of merlin's.

But Dooku would never have been able to match Yoda in the Force, hence the laziness. Yoda and the Emperor were supposed to be opposite sides of the same coin, not Yoda and Dooku. Dooku was an apprentice. And they also barely did anything before going "meh, let's have a lightsabre fight". We saw Yoda turn the lightning back on Sideous himself and blow him away in ROTS, but for some reason he didn't do this in AOTC against Dooku? Lazy, pisspoor writing.

>The original trilogy gave practically no information about the Jedi order.
Which is why saying "they were always a military" is an asspull.

>Jedi robes were directly inspired by Japanese attire.
They look like robes from anywhere, not specifically Japanese.

>Not to George and the people who designed the costumes.
Based on you thinking they look Japanese, except they just look like generic robes that exist in a multitude of cultures.

It's also a goalpost shift. First it was "based on samurai" but now "based on Japanese."

>But Dooku would never have been able to match Yoda in the Force
According to whom? You? Because he does just that in the movie. I trust what the movie says about Star Wars more than you.

This is ignoring the Jedi and their "diminished use of the Force" thing as an explanation of how Dooku matches Yoda.

>what is defensive war
>what is defense force

War isn't peace.

This is the point of the thread, user. Yoda being turned from Master into Knight and struggling against Dooku, and barely even trying to best him with the Force just so he can somersault around is a huge disappointment to a lot of people. Maybe not to you, but I think you're forgetting what thread you're in.

No, the logical thing to do would be "How can I trick him and disable him before he even notices what's going on?" Which would make sense within Yoda's established character. He used tricks and mindgames for something as simple as determining whether or not Luke is worthy of training. You think that a being who's been alive for nearly a millennium without succumbing to dementia wouldn't be wily and clever through accumulated wisdom? Maybe not something as simplistic as "Hey Dooku, your shoe's untied CRINK there goes your lightsaber" but something to the same effect.
Or maybe telekinetically controlling all the droid security crawling around the hive and make Dooku face down with a platoon of ROGERROGERs while he grabs Obi Wan and escapes.
Or maybe instead of just tossing boulders around, bring the whole fucking cave down around them so that Dooku is concerned with using the force to not be flattened and making an escape then.

Yoda is supposed to be beyond physical combat altogether, so even someone who is tiny, old and frail could be called a great warrior.

Face it, the reason they seem to reach a stalemate is because Lucas is a hack who couldn't think of anything more clever than "Let's throw rocks around" and really just wanted an excuse for Yoda to get out that little laser sword and go to town.

This. They did it a little in Clone Wars, but Anakin and the other Jedi should have worn armor similar to Darth Vader's, minus the breathing apparatus and electronics. In the OT, everyone referred to Vader as a Jedi, so I assumed that he was wearing Jedi gear. Anakin wore armore like this on TCW, but all the Jedi should have worn it.

>fails to use an ellipsis correctly
All 7 opening crawls use ellipses incorrectly....

Lightsabers should not have been their only weapon, in a universe with such advanced weaponry. I saw the lightsabers as ceremonial weapons, the signature of a Jedi. I think the Kyle Katarn vidya gives a good idea of what I'm talking about, he has a lightsaber but obviously other weapons can be better situationally.

It would have been cool if they broadened the scope of armor, Vader always gave me a shogun type of impression so it made me wonder what Jedi battle armor would have looked like. Also while the Jedi should have seemed large, they should have made it a point to emphasize that, compared to the rest of the galaxy, the Jedi are still a tiny minority that a lot of people aren't fully aware of.

In the real world, "master" was a title/position granted to knights in knight orders.

"Master Yoda" is a Jedi Knight with the title/position "Master."

>Yoda is supposed to be beyond physical combat altogether
Is he? Because he gives Luke physical training when he trains Luke to become a Jedi Knight. He has Luke running around and climbing (I'll ignore that there's unused footage of him training Luke to use a lightsaber because it was unused).

I think you misunderstood his character and what makes him great: he uses the Force to overcome physical limitations, such as using the Force to lift an X-Wing, or using the Force to flip around during a lightsaber fight.

>Which is why saying "they were always a military" is an asspull.

Not really. Once we got a better look at them in TPM, it became very clear they were paramilitary.

>They look like robes from anywhere, not specifically Japanese.
True. Regardless, what inspired them doesn't change no matter how much you want it otherwise.

>It's also a goalpost shift.
Barely.
>First it was "based on samurai" but now "based on Japanese."

Either are correct enough.

>According to whom?

The movie. Yoda dealt with everything Dooku threw at him. And Yoda was never going to purely use the force on an offensive level since that's not what they Jedi do with it. Thus why Dooku responded with a Lightsaber and Yoda Likewise.

You're asking why something happened in the prequels, and then ignoring every reason provided for why it happened "because that's not the point of the thread" (or, in other words, you can't accept the truth).

AotC should have been a neo noir film with Obi Wan and Anakin dealing with the criminal element of Coruscant, a smaller scale story would have been a nice change.

>Not really. Once we got a better look at them in TPM, it became very clear they were paramilitary.
We're going by original trilogy only.

If you go by the prequels, they are explicitly not a military. Characters flat out say as much.

>True. Regardless, what inspired them doesn't change no matter how much you want it otherwise.
You keep saying this as though it's fact, when it's just your belief based on "well I think they kinda look the same."

>Barely.
Totally. You went from samurai to just Japanese. That's a big change.

>Either are correct though.
Neither are correct, though.

Because Buddhist Monks don't use physical training as a tool for focus and meditation, right?

Revenge of the sith anakin concept art

>this guy turn evil? nahhh

I didn't realize Buddhist monks could use the Force. My bad.

Jedi are samurai because they wear generic robes even though samurai are better known for wearing armor.

Pic related: a Jedi.

>in the real world

um... wut?

actual knights and shit

>We're going by original trilogy only.
I must've missed that, because I'm going by Star Wars as a whole.

>You keep saying this as though it's fact
Because it is. Lucas always had the Samurai as the basis for the Jedi. Well, Samurai and European Knights.

>You went from samurai to just Japanese. That's a big change.
>Neither are correct

They are though. Samurai wore the exact same shit commoners wore.

Yoda flat out says he's preparing Luke to fight Vader. He's having him do exercises so he's ready for the fight.

There being no lightsaber training scene is only due to technical limitations (it was time-consuming and expensive to do the effect) given that they shot a lightsaber training scene but never did the effect.

youtube.com/watch?v=CK6wqpNKdh0

While I understand where you're coming from, I believe your interpretation that Yoda, a Jedi Knight, would never use a lightsaber, the weapon of a Jedi Knight, is a very flawed interpretation of the character. As has been stated, what they do with Yoda in Clones is in line with his character in Empire: he uses the Force to overcome the physical (in this case, the physical limitations of his body by enhancing it to the point where he can use a lightsaber effortlessly).

Knights and orders of knights existed in the real world at one point in history, and are part of the basis for Jedi Knights and the Jedi Order.

As you're probably also sure the Force doesn't take a lot of concentration and willpower to u-

youtube.com/watch?v=PcjnbIF1yAA

Oh right..... Anyway, as I was saying, I just think Yoda is the sort of character who doesn't need a direct confrontation at all. Just because he can spin around with a glowstick like a Molly'd-up rave girl doesn't necessarily mean he needs to do so. The Force can be used to infiltrate minds, reach people across all barriers of time and space, break people's will like saltine crackers, move stars, and you just desperately want Yoda to whip out that little laser sword of his because it's cool.

Going by Star Wars as a whole, the Jedi are not a military.

The robes of the Jedi are not based on samurai (who are not known for wearing robes, but rather infamous for their armor; in other words, robes are not a hallmark of samurai). Other aspects of the Jedi may be based on samurai. Not the robes.

Again, why does he need to use a weapon at all? His ally is the force, not a glowing vibrator, and a powerful ally it is.

>Yoda is the sort of character who doesn't need a direct confrontation at all
And yet he trains Luke for direct physical confrontation with Vader.

Sorry, but it's entirely within his character as a Jedi Knight with the title Master to use a lightsaber, the weapon of a Jedi Knight.

Should have expanded more on force sensitive users who didn't give a rat's ass about being a Jedi or a Sith Lord. They would simply use their powers for their own gain, but not necessarily at the level of a Sith baddie. Like some dude who uses to force to cheat in card games or petty thieves stealing shit using the force.

>why does he need to use a weapon at all?
It's already been explained. Read the thread.

Why do Jedi use lightsabers?

Why does Kenobi?

First movie is flawed. Kenobi should have just Force pushed the Death Star into a real star.

Because Dooku can also use the Force and they basically were just countering each other the entire time.

Ignoring Star Wars lore, it really looked stupid to see Yoda jumping all over the place like a monkey, twirling his lightsaber in the movie.

Hush, goyim. Now buy the videogames and legos.

This is the OPPOSITE. I regret ever starting this thread. Both sides can be right based off theOT, but you all cannot agree to disagree. Faggot, all of you faggots.

INb4 where do I think I am?

OP* not opposite

Fuck my phone.

I, too, regret you creating this shitty thread.

Because it's traditional? The Swiss Guard march around with polearms because it's theier tradition, does this mean that if the Vatican is under threat they should approach gunmen with their halberds and shit instead of just grabbing their SIGs from the armory?

If you attacked a guy carrying around a traditional spear, guarantee that guy is going to spear your dumbass.

Same situation with Yoda. He used the Force, it didn't work so good, so he went for the lightsaber.

>Ep I was actually a decent movie if it wasn't for all teh midichloriansbullshit and webm related

Describe why Sheev convinced the trade federation to blockade Naboo, why they went along with his scheme, and how the treaty that he desperately wanted Amidalla to sign was going to get him Amidalla voting for no confidence in the senate.

Episode I is easily the most cozy and good looking movie of the Prequels, but the story is nonsense and the characters are universally terrible, even Obi-Wan which most people love is worthless in this movie.

3:10 is what confuses me the most about this fight. Yoda and Sheev are supposed to be 50/50, give or take, in terms of strength and yet Sheev can easily toss them booths one after another. There is takes yoda a good few seconds to spin it and send it flying much slower. Judging by this Sheev should have been able to wipe the floor with him, force power wise.

Yet it's implied that Yoda only lost this fight because he was standing closer to the edge when absorbing the lightning and he had shorter arms and legs, so couldn't grab hold of anything .

The Original Trilogy (which Lucas seemed to have purposefully ignored or willfully wrote against) paints both Yoda and Palpatine as being super powerful force wizards, neither of which seem concerned by or interested in weapons, instead they just ooze power. Sheev could probably have just stopped Luke's heart with a glance, or made his eyeballs explode or w/e, he was just having fun toying with him and torturing him with lightning because he was a dick. Force lightning wasn't meant to be a be-all-end-all sith superpower, it was just him fucking around. Yoda in kind just casually did things with the force and you got the sense in ESB that he was very powerful even if he never did anything. Before the prequels when people imagined Yoda fighting it was him doing crazy force stuff, not flipping around and screaming with a tiny lightsaber.

Giving these two characters lightsabers goes against how they were presented in the original trilogy, and I think we could have witnessed some really creative and awesome force abilities if they had a wizard duel instead of just more fucking lightsabers.

I don't think you understand the difference between a military and a paramilitary, they aren't the same thing.

Why he did it? To create a conflict so that he use the conflict to advance politically, which is exactly what happens.

Why they went along with the scheme? Because they felt they were being cheated by the taxes being levied on them and believed, by following him, they could create a situation financially beneficial to them.

Palpatine didn't want Amidala to sign. It didn't matter either way. It was all about the conflict. Without Amidala, he would have gotten someone else to do the vote of no confidence using the conflict. Keep in mind, the situation on Naboo threatens other planets. He could easily say to another senator "that thing that happened on Naboo could happen to you!" and get them to do the vote of no confidence that way. As far as we know, that was his original plan, and he was just adapting his plan when Amidala survived the whole ordeal and arrived at Coruscant.

The story makes sense as long as you're not looking to nitpick it (not that nitpicking can't be fun). And I liked Qui-Gon more than Kenobi, I thought he was a more interesting character since he's not your typical Jedi, so in my opinion, it's not a bad thing that Jinn is our protagonist and Kenobi gets sidelined.

Considering you went from "they're a military" to "paramilitary," I assumed you were using them incorrectly interchangeably and not just doing more goalpost shifting.

My mistake. Just more goalpost shifting.

>75023643

>Anyone else have ideas?

Does Sheev's power to make all of the Jedi dumb as rocks have a range? Does it make them universally dumb, or just make them instantly forget any time they remember that Sheev's plan is the most illogical, easily countered thing ever?

>Before the prequels when people imagined Yoda fighting it was him doing crazy force stuff

Which is dumb, because the OT outright states that the Jedi never acted with the force in an offensive manner. Yoda using a Lightsaber was perfectly in line with what the OT established.

>no quotes

this is outstanding
i thought it was literally 100% greenrooms

The Jedi are as paramilitary as a karate school.

In other words, they aren't at all.

I don't get why everyone thinks they should have a power battle without swords. They did. What more could they have done with force push and force lightening? They would have just kept countering each other forever, they were both just high up here.

>Yoda, a Jedi Master
ftfy

Wrong pic lol

>Jedi didn't wear a uniform! They were just normal robes
>Anakin and Obiwan wear the exact same shit

Cred Forums narrative smashed to pieces yet again

>What more could they have done with force push and force lightening?
that right there is where everything went wrong.
That simple question that George couldn't answer in his own head.

>Every interior was an actual physical set
Was it?

"Tons"
It's like you didn't watch the movies

He's fighting regardless in the Prequels, the question is how he should go about it. Using what was established in the OT it would make -more- sense for him to eschew a lightsaber in favor of using force abilities, and it would be more fitting of his ancient hermit guru archetype than having him pull out a little sword and flip around. Likewise with Sheev, he's set up as this grand manipulating dark sorcerer, he should have conjured up some incredible force magic instead of pulling out yet another red lightsaber.

The lightsaber is overused in the prequels. There are some really good uses for it, such as duel of the fates, or the obi wan / anakin fight, but most of the time it was shoved in there pointlessly and really kind of diminished how cool lightsabers are.

>They would have just kept countering each other forever
Nah. Without his lightsaber yoda would have eventually lost.

See

I would have made Sheev the main character. The Jedis are boring, low energy losers. Sheev is high energy and he knows how to win. Why watch a movie about losers?

Episode I was almost all sets and miniatures since CGI wasn't up to par to replace those in 1999, however Episodes II and III were mostly green screen rooms with digital backrounds, some miniatures, and 1-2 sets such as the coruscant bar.

How can adults watch THIS scene and not want to gag from how terrible everything is about it?

>Also while the Jedi should have seemed large, they should have made it a point to emphasize that, compared to the rest of the galaxy, the Jedi are still a tiny minority that a lot of people aren't fully aware of.

TPM opens with the leaders of the Trade Federation, one of the largest most powerful conglomerates in the galaxy, having never met a Jedi in person and having no idea as to the extent of their powers.

interesting....

>and you can only do that if you have Force powers.
Literally not true in the slightest

Take a look at this, faggot.

furiousfanboys.com/2014/05/the-star-wars-prequels-model-or-cg/

Kamino, geonosis, utapau, even MUSTAFAR were all real miniatures.

A great deal of lava was actually real footage of a strombolian eruption at Mt. Etna, and was integrated into the physical set.

The kamino interiors were all real and they inserted Obi-wan walking around in them via green screen.

The prequels literally only used cgi for troops and things that do not exist on our planet.

You THINK it's all cgi because when it's a pieced together, it looks otherworldly as it should.

>tfw you can't tell the difference between poor bait and Cred Forums thinking they're being clever

>Cred Forums

>ANAKIN: You're a Jedi Knight, aren't you?

>QUI-GON: What makes you think that?

>ANAKIN: I saw your laser sword. Only Jedi carry that kind of weapon.

>prequel defence force out in numbers
Who else do you think is behind it?

>furiousfanboys.com/2014/05/the-star-wars-prequels-model-or-cg/

This is a nice little article. But why do websites do this page-by-page bullshit? What's the point of having these lists on separate pages? Is it so the ads refresh and the website owner gets more money?

Luke, did I ever tell you about the time I was one of the most respected actors in the world, performing in renowned films such as Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Bridge on the River Kwai and A Passage to India? I even got an Oscar and a Knighthood in recognition for my talent and excellence. Then, while I was between shooting masterpieces with David Lean, a nerd named George Lucas begged me to play a samurai wizard from space in his sci-fi/fantasy flick. I took it to be nice, even though it meant saying lines such as "Only a master of evil Darth". Somehow, despite Lucas's bungling, it was a huge success and he roped me into appearing in the two equally idiotic sequels. I didn’t want to, but my code of honor as British gentleman and an actor prevented me from leaving a project unfinished. Now that's those movies are the only thing people remember me for. When you search my name on Google Images, the first result is from a website called “Wookiepedia”. My legacy is ruined forever thanks to Lucas. He was a good friend.

>Every interior was an actual physical set

Was it?

Or are you just retarded?

On the other hand, Anakin, a child slave on a backwater planet in the outer rim recognizes the Jedi through their 'laser swords'.

So, I don't know what the fuck.

>Using what was established in the OT it would make -more- sense for him to eschew a lightsaber in favor of using force abilities

But using the Force to fight goes against how the Jedi use the Force. They work with the Force, not abuse it to cause harm.

>The lightsaber is overused in the prequels.

The Lightsaber was used in appropriate amounts. it makes absolute perfect sense that every and all Jedi would use them. They don't use the Force to attack and harm, thus they need a weapon. The Sith using them was also very appropriate since the Jedi had answers to their kinds of tricks.

Greivous using them is maybe the only point I would says it was excessive. Though at the least he used them as a big 'fuck you' to the Jedi.

As for Sidious, by the time of the OT, the Jedi were gone. He had no need for a Lightsaber anymore since the one guy who was allowed to wear one was his most trusted servant.

>and really kind of diminished how cool lightsabers are.

Opinion.

I think the prequels made Lightsabers even cooler.

Idk. It's the classic clickbait format but its actually somewhat effective here since the article is actually informative and not bullshit

>You THINK it's all cgi because when it's a pieced together, it looks otherworldly as it should.

That's the point I suppose. If they used models and assume it's CG (not because it looks too good to be true, but because it looks cheap) then they fucked up.

Luke, did I ever tell you about the high ground? The Sith have absolutely no sense of it. It is their greatest weakness.

It doesn't look cheap though. Everything looks pretty gorgeous. I think what people think looks fake is the abundance of green screening. It does often look like the backgrounds aren't really there, but they still look nice.

I think HD ruins not so recent movies by exposing what isn't real. A little blur and color saturation from 720p makes it all blend together nicely.

Wow, this must be CG. It looks so fake.

It does, George Lucas is doing work

That's not exclusive to the prequels though

>the lightsaber is the weapon of a jedi
>all jedi use it no matter how retarded or impractical that may be for non-human species of all sizes

wew

>I think HD ruins not so recent movies by exposing what isn't real. A little blur and color saturation from 720p makes it all blend together nicely.

This is such a dumb notion. They were HD in the cinema

>The only similarity is that they're both robes
Not really,
>Distinct shoulder pads that come down to the waist
>V neck collar instead of being completely open
>Very wide cuffs and sleeves
>Vest worn on top of robes worn on top of undershirt

>samurai are known more for wearing samurai armor
That maybe true but their normal robes are hardly obscure, especially to a fan of Kurosawa, like Lucas.

>this delusional
>not understanding how there was more CGI than real in all prequel films
>being this much of an apologist

>be yoda
>all of your friends just were slaughtered a few days ago
>you can literally feel every death with your mind
>just find out that whiney edgelord faggot murdered all the kids too
>what the fuck, I cant even deal
>find out the Senate is taken over
>find out that palpatine is a sith lord
>so fucking done with this shit

He was emotionally spent

>If they can do something without the Force, then they do it without the Force.

What is this head canon bullshit?

Ideally, all Jedi should have worn Vader helms. The eyebrow ridge would simply deflect the shot to their shoulderpads

>denial

Clone wars cartoon fixes jar jar. Among other thibgs

Really? Attack of the Clones was 4k back in 2002?

expectations:
>more star wars

actually got:
>monkey's paw version of expectations

That's the funny thing. It was one of the first digital films so its stuck in 1080p and already outdated.

Underrated

I don't think there was a single person who could have taken Vader, was there?

Obi Wan?

on equal ground? nah

Lol why exactly?

well if you saw episode 4 it didn't seem like he had much trouble slapping Obi Wan's shit

Why are aliens fighting on my windows desktop

I dont think we saw the same film....Obi let Vader kill him.

Jesus christ, those background characters. Just watch them. It's some Birdemic shit.