Okay, dumb ending and water planet loophole aside...

Okay, dumb ending and water planet loophole aside, can we all agree that "Signs" was M Night Shaymalamadingdong's best film? And possibly one of the best alien movies in general?

I fucking love this movie. Also, there's a really interesting theory I remember reading almost nine or ten years ago that speculated they weren't aliens at all, and were, in fact, demonic entities.

Let's talk Signs.

>Dat Mel Gibson performance
>Dat music
>Dat mystery
>Dat message

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JFu11ilRsOE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Unbreakable is my favorite but Signs is pretty good.

No, because Unbreakable exists.

And as far as alien movies go, it doesn't hold a candle to Fire in the Sky.

Yes, demonic entities with an extreme allergy to water. I heard that too.

I guess all of the equator was safe due to the humidity in the air.

Ahh, Unbreakable. Honestly forgot that one exists. Very good, and very underrated. Yeah, love that one, too. Maybe tied with Signs for me, personally.

Actually never heard of Fire in the Sky. Is it kino?

Um the sixth sense

SWING AWAY

I think the only real thing The Sixth Sense had going for it was the twist. Other than that, it was kind of... eh.. I mean, it's a masterpiece compared to the new shit Shaymalan is doing ("The Visit," "The Happening," etc) but still not THAT great.

Unbreakable is his best. Signs is both stupid and has unlikable characters doing unlikable things while nonsensical aliens run around naked.

Also, Alien is probably the best movie about non-terrestrial creatures.

Signs is a bad movie user, but you're allowed to like bad movies. There's nothing wrong with that. What's wrong and foolish is when people insist a bad movie isn't.

An episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark? did that exact twist years before. I guarantee that's where M. Night got the idea for Sixth Sense.

Watch it.

It's fucking great.

'The Tale of the Dream Girl' is the episode and it holds up well.

IIRC, he's admitted it. It's not really a secret.

Signs and Unbreakable were both 6/10 flicks.

>It's fucking great.
calm down, you retard

>not allowed to defend bad movies
>defends capeshit
Shut the fuck up, pleb.

My favorite scene from Signs (actually, it's a couple scenes) is when Mel Gibson and Abigail Breslin are talking and they have the exchange about talking to mom. Great little scene. I actually interned with a casting director for a while and when we auditioned kids, we'd almost always use the dialogue from this scene to see if they could get that emotion through.

Afterwards, he and Phoenix think that it's Lionel Pritchard and the Wolfington Brothers screwing around and M Night manages to keep the scene tense while adding in some legit laughs. When Mel Gibson is trying to be intimidating and says "I'm insane with anger!" and "It is time for an ass-whooping!" Love it.

Also, this line:

>"Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around our house last night, what else is a possibility?"

They wernt Aliens, They were supposed to be demons hence the water killing them and they getting fucked in all the religeous countries first. just Shaymalamadingdong didnt get the point across to everyone.

Why would water hurt demons?

But what was the thing floating in the sky that a bird ran into if not a cloaked spaceship?

>Shamallama's best
>not once said it was good
>cannot in2reading comprehension

The water only hurts them after the priest regains his faith. It's holy water.

It's holy water, hence why the first push back vs the invaders comes from the more religious parts of the world.

That's not bad reading comprehension your point just came across weak.

But they were being fought off all around the world, Mel Gibson didn't save the planet.

They were doing the water thing all around.

The movie actually doesn't say that water is the only thing that works, or it's what people all over the place are using. The newscast at the end mentions some ancient technique people in the middle east rediscovered to get rid of them.

Aren't those Latin American countries either around oceans or riddled with rivers and rain forests?

I am asking rhetorically of course, since they are. The very air has more water in it. I mean, they'd be fucked in the Mexican dessert, that's it, everywhere else would be cool.

If it was holy water, why the fuck was the little girl leaving little glasses of holy water all over the place as if she was planning on drinking them?

>not even 4 words in
>BUH DUH ENDING LE ENDING ENDING ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck off retard

I only remember they left as suddenly as they arrived was said.

Like they realized 80% of the planet's surface was covered in toxic shit to them along with much of the atmosphere.

Ever heard of Holy Water? Jesus refers himself to the "well that won't run dry?" Baptism? Or in Islam, ghusl, is the washing of the whole body in pure water. They even are required by Allah after sex to do this washing. Wudu in Islam, too, is another use of water during their five prayers to cleanse themselves. Water is used for purifying, cleansing and making things holy in almost all religions. Judaism, Hinduism, all that.

Also, specifically, in the scene where the water falls on the alien's shoulder and it burns him, it's because Bo 'blessed' it with her gift. Mel Gibson explains she was 'holy' and an 'angel' when they are boarding up the house. Just like Morgan's asthma saved his life by divine predestination, so did Bo's little quirk with her drinking water. If she didn't have that weird thing, she wouldn't have left all those glasses around the house, and the aliens would have killed him. Father Gibson realizes this, places his faith in God again, and then they are 'saved,' both spiritually and physically from these demons.

Actually, it's pretty brilliant and quite subtle. I think Signs might be responsible for Lady in the Water. Let's say Shaymalan DID intend for his characters to think they were aliens but were actually demons... only a few audiences recognized the demon subtext. He was like "shit, I worked hard on that and almost nobody caught that. Let's retell the story with predestination and hidden meanings with Lady in the Water only make it REALLY obvious and not as good."

Just a theory anyway.

The aliens weren't particularly menacing. Simple gunfire would also kill them. Also, someone answer this please

>reaching: the post

It's not really reaching. The entire movie is about Gibson's crisis of faith, and there's a heavy presence of religious themes, like the movie specifically telling you the family's quirks were predestined to save them. It makes sense that demons would be used to symbolize Mel's crisis of faith. Shamalyan just did a bad job of making of it obvious to most people.

>Like 80% of the planets surface was covered in toxic shit

Yeah motherfuckers with guns once the fear wears off and you realize it's literally like shooting dindus but this time you are allowed to shoot them.

I'm not even sure what you're talking about. I feel like this is one of those "Surprise! I was only PRETENDING to be retarded!" posts.

Shit, there was something that explained that... I'll look for it.

It really isn't reaching. Fun fact: in Norse mythology, the name "Bo" means "To Live" or "To Bring to Life."

"Morgan" means "Circle." As in the crop circles, and the "circle" of the narrative that brings everything around to the beginning where the quirks and idiosyncrasies saved them, and Pastor Father Gibson returns to the faith.

Throw in the quote from the Bible about "Signs and Wonders" (where the name comes from) and the "Is it possible... there are no coincidences?" That's the fucking theme of the movie. It's not reaching at all, honestly.

Shaymalan let the fame and prestige go to his head, but to be honest, he's a smart guy. Maybe not the BEST filmmaker, but a smart guy. He did exactly what he set out to do with Signs.

No, you did a bad job of understanding faith and then this film.

It can't be obvious, or else it's not a statement on faith.

Saying its aliens:
Now, was the it an allergy, was the ph in the water just too high for their DNA?

It doesn't matter.
What matters is that by having faith again they were saved. By believing in things having a purpose, the glasses, the bother in law's life long practice of swinging as hard as possible as if relying on hope to hit his target, every single bit of coincidence chalked up to divine design. That's how they were saved. He wanted to believe his daughter would be alive. And though there was a rational explanation, her asthma saver her from inhaling poison, he beloved god gave him the kid back.

There are rational explanations, adding the supernatural element is superfluous and it's even an obstacle.

The point is that faith is aside from that, and it is an act of submission, to the will of God. He cursed everything that had happened before and now he saw everything as part of god's plan again.

See
You're reaching trying to find alternate explanations to things that are already rational.

And its unnecessary. The point of faith for the characters is understanding it all as part of God's plan despite rational explanations. For good or bad.

Forgive me, but I find it more rational to believe that blessed holy water burned demons intruding a resigned priest's home more rational (in a narrative sense, anyway) that hyper-intelligent intergalactic super beings... that get hurt by one of the most abundant elements in the universe... attempt to invade a planet that is, like mentioned, almost completely covered in water. Hell, the beings that make up the planet are pretty much just giant water bags them/ourselves.

It'd be like us humans invading a jungle filled with gorillas that are literally made of AK-47's where a river of atomic DNA-obliterating waste flows through. Sure, we're smarter, but that shit will *kill* us.

That's... not plausible or rational.

They invaded quick and left quick, all around the world.

But you believe all the water in the world was blessed?

You know, many abundant elements are toxic to us within certain compounds, right?

You're acknowledging that movie is about faith and that Mel regaining his faith at the end of the movie is the point of it (and what saves them, at least from the narrative standpoint).

So, we have a movie made by a man who loves dealing with religious themes about a priest that's having a crisis of faith when some entities show up and start messing shit up. Those things could be somewhat stupid aliens (there are a number of fan theories to explain why they act the way they do) who happen to be defeated when Mel regains faith. They could also be demons acting in the story as a symbolic manifestation of the crisis of faith that is the focus of the movie. In either case, they're there to symbolize Mel's inner turmoil and act as a conduit to him regaining his faith.

Whether they're aliens or not, they serve the same purpose. I think they're aliens because it makes more narrative sense, especially given the way they are presented and how Shyamalan usually structures his stories. The guy's main problem is that he's very full of himself and tried to make the movie simultaneously deep and very ambiguous.

>he newscast at the end mentions some ancient technique people in the middle east rediscovered

They're talking about faith in the Lord.

It's not the fact that H2O was the thing that killed them, it was the religious faith and significance that kills them. The movie even says this: the "ancient methods" are what drove them away. In the western world, i.e., the Christian world, we use holy, blessed water. Elsewhere, it could be anything.

You're not missing the point of the movie, just kind of the details and explanations.

This guy understands, pretty much:

It's tense but ultimately kind of disappointing

Demons fly ships too

Also, the dinner scene? Fucking amazing. The acting, the writing, the camera work, the hug... Just fantastic.

youtube.com/watch?v=JFu11ilRsOE

Unbreakable is his best movie, followed by The Sixth Penn & Teller, and then Signs.

It's essential "Movies Cred Forums Tricked Me Into Watching-core".

Can someone remind me what the twist in Unbreakable was again? Something about Sam L. Jackson?

Turns out he was black all along.

Jackson had been causing disasters for years trying to find a superhero he though would balance him out. Then he says that his nickname was "Mr. Glass," which sounds like a comic book villain. Basically, who you thought was the mentor turned out the be a mass murderer because he wanted to be a villain.

Come on, the scene with the girl's funeral and the tape of her murder was great, and the car scene where the kid tells mom about talking to grandma was kino as fuck

he was dead all along

Oh that's right.

Signs is one of those movies that tells a Christian/faith-based story BETTER THAN CHRISTIANS DO.

Speaking as one, I'm fucking fed up at my people making shitty movies. When Hollywood and M Night Fucking Shaymalan can make you think about and feel closer to God than actual brothers and sisters in the religion...

...there's a problem somewhere.

>Morgan: ...they fight and are defeated and have to return again with full forces hundreds, maybe even thousands, of years later.
>Merrill: I'm sorry, what... what book is this?

>Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding in his hand the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain. And he seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years, and threw him into the pit, and shut it and sealed it over him, so that he might not deceive the nations any longer, until the thousand years were ended.
Revelation 20:1

>I'm sorry, what... what book is this?

Vinyl soundtrack release when?

Dark green "alien skin" vinyl would be so sick

kys