Why is it so beloved? It's just okay

Why is it so beloved? It's just okay

It only had to be okay. So long as it was better than the prequels (which it was) fans could breathe a sigh of relief.

People wanted it to be good so they lied to themselves, unable to accept the idea of yet another piece of shit Star Wars movie

I knew it was gonna be awful as soon I heard Jew Jew Abrahams was directing

>I LE DIDNT EVEN LIKE IT THAT MUCH EVEN THOUGH I CANT STOP MAKING THREADS AND DISCUSSING IT

this desu

This is my first one

Same shit happened with The Phantom Menace. Give it 10 years and people will recognize it for the turd it is

>Beloved
Was it though? A year later and it honestly feels like it came out several years ago. If you ignore all the twitter and Kodaku-tier pandering shit, I doubt you could say it even remotely impacted culture the way the originals or even the prequels did, idk.

as much as contrarian shits on here want this to be true because they hate anything popular, it just isn't the same.

taking away any star wars nostalgia feels and just looking at their merits as movies:

the prequels are a mess from top to bottom, writing directing everything.

TFA is just a sort of ok 5-6/10 average family action movie, nothing special but it's competently made.

>Why is it so beloved? It's just okay
That's Star Wars in general.

I wouldn't call it average, TFA is genuinely awful and actually worse than the prequels. At least they tried to do something different instead of relying entirely on cheap attempts to mine nostalgia

Btw this is coming from someone who doesn't care that much for Star Wars in general

agreed

Even the movies in the original trilogy are decent at best, yet people jack off to them like they are incredible classics. I don't get it

Phantom Menace was hated from the start.

Initial reviews and word of mouth was very negative.

TFA is an okay movie with a lot of problems. PM was a turd in every way.

It was a Star Wars movie carefully crafted for the Avengers generations.

A bland, soulless adventure movie with cringey one-liners and some fan service.

Do you idiots realize it came out in fucking 70's? Compare it to other movies of that time.

You're kidding right? There are tons of great movies that came out in the 70's. Hell, there are plenty of great movies dating all the way back to the 20's. Being a few decades old isn't an excuse, the OT is just mediocre

I remember plenty of fans wanting to believe it was a good movie and making excuses for it, though this was specifically what I saw on the internet so take that for what it is

And no, I'm sorry, if you think TFA is anything more than a 2/10 you have questionable taste

What the hell are you talking about?
It was worse than the prequels.

I'm not a huge fan of Star Wars but the visuals and atmosphere still hold up even if the writing/directing is kinda shit.

TFA was also okay but could have been much better since it's much newer and already had an established mythos behind it, hence the pissy fanboys.

Because it was a superhero movie disguised as Star Wars and people really like superhero movies.

It took a few years. If you weren't underage, you'd know.

The prequels were actually good though. VII was just a big bloated Disney© cash in with zero imagination or creativity involved.

Because people desparately need some kind of franchise to cling on to and the past decade or so of movies has been so shit in that regard that even a movie that's just mediocre and not offensively bad can garner overwhelming applause.

Seriously name me one movie franchise that's come out in the last 15 years and didn't shit the bed in terms of quality.

nobody liked it except normies and redditors

its fuckign shit

neo-Cred Forums wtf

>nobody liked it except most people

wew

exactly
it wasnt an unforgivable trainwreck
massive success

The biggest problem I found with TFA was the actual story was shit. The acting (well mostly apart from Kylo), effects, pacing, cinematography etc we top notch. But that plot. It fucking sucked so hard. Another death star? Really? Plus all the inconsistencies like shooting planets that just so happen to be in visible range and being able to sneak past the shield so fucking easily and Han not being able to find his ship etc. The plot was it's achilles heal.

memberberries and lots of action

>The acting (well mostly apart from Kylo), effects, pacing, cinematography etc we top notch.
TFA had some of the worst pacing I have seen in a Hollywood film.

Way too fast which felt like a 90 minute action film with no character development.

>Way too fast which felt like a 90 minute action film with no character development.

That's modern blockbuster pacing for ya.