The death of theaters

Was reading this morning about how NATO is pissed off because Netflix made a deal with a studio to stream movies at release. Netflix pretty much believes theaters are a lost cause, and I think they have a point. One of the comments in particular struck me as being really good, so I am going to post it here to see what you all think about it. Here it is:

"The only reason theaters ever became popular in the first place was because films were part of a larger evening’s experience. Going to the theater was part of an hours-long social interaction which included dinner, half a film, half an hour of social interaction in the lobby during an intermission, the rest of the film, and then cocktails and dancing afterwards. When the film makers began gouging theater owners, theaters were forced to adopt a business model focused on throughput, and abandoned the concept of being part of a larger social experience. Ever since, theaters have become increasingly socially expendable, attendance has continually dropped, and now we are at the point where technology is allowing individuals to fill the social niche left by greed-driven business practices…people are able to enjoy home theaters and to invite friends over to their homes to engage in evening-long social events…dinner, movie, drinks, etc just like they used to. Without theaters.

What Netflix has realized is that Hollywood theaters are dead. People who have not embraced home theater technology are currently the only thing propping the industry up, and as more and more people adopt the technology, fewer and fewer people will be going to the theater no matter what kind of seats they put in. It isn’t about comfort. It isn’t even about quality. It is about the human need and desire for social interaction which the theater business model has utterly abandoned."

Movie theaters are filled with Mexicans and negros and the food and drinks they sell are extremely low quality yet extremely high price

NATO is pissed at netflix? is the nuclear option on the table?

So are convenience stores.
What is your point?

Found the guy who doesn't know how theaters make their money.

you wrote so much text friend!

this, NATO should really worry about other things tbqh

I didn't write it, I cut and pasted it.

I particularly like the last bit, as it explains a lot more than just the money. If you read between the lines there you can see an explanation for why we like to yell at the tv/movie screen. I just found the whole comment really insightful and wanted to share it.

tldr

NATO gets their palms greased by the film industry to insure Hollywood-friendly policies get made. They have a stake in this as well, which is probably why they are not happy.

are you retarded? do you live in some 3rd world country? theater food and drink prices are a magnitude higher than any retail shop

It took you longer to make your post than it would have to read OP's post, you idiot.

Why would the North Atlantic Treaty Organization give a shit about people streaming?

You are the retard.
Theaters don't make a cent off ticket prices. All of their income is from concession sales. THey have to pay to heat, cool, power and staff the enormous buildings, pay insurance, pay their leases, and pay for the films all off the money they make on concession sales. So yes, the concessions are low quality and high priced.

None of that addresses OP's post though, does it? If you want to shitpost, go to Cred Forums. If you want to participate in a conversation, make an intelligent and on-topic point.

$.89 for large fountain drink at convenience store.
$4.50 at local theater

See

[sic]

I'd more likely believe that hollywood gets money from NATO so that they make pro-NATO flicks.

The post directly above yours.
Read it.

i go to the theater for the big picture and sound. you cant get that at home unless you are rich and build your own theater. so movie theaters aren't going anywhere in my lifetime

Source? Proof?

Oh, who am I kidding asking for such trivial things.

Yes, the committee who's job it is to prevent world war three cares about something insignificant as Hollywood.

>NATO
Why would NATO care about theatres?
Shouldn't they be thinking more of how to deal with ISIS or something?

Alright I'm taking the bait.

He's talking about the North American Theatre Organisation, you bunch of retards.

even just 20 years ago, you either went to a movie while it was in theaters, or were forced to watch a pan and scan VHS of it on a small CRT. Now that Blu-ray rivals the quality of seeing it in a theater, there isn't really a point anymore. I can make poopcorn @ home

>It is about the human need and desire for social interaction
normie extroverts maybe. I watch movies alone

Theatres are dead because everyone can access films for free, try as many as they like, watch whatever has ever been released, and drop it if bad without loss of money.

It's nothing about this social side, who the fuck invites friends around for dinner then watches a film like a group of silent autists. You have dinner, then conversation and drinks.

The only reason to go the the cinema now is to mix it up a little or if the film you want to see is going to be a huge blockbuster so the size and spectacle are worth it - the days of that being numbered as people get bigger and better screens and sound systems.

>t. butthurt theater owner

>North American Theatre Organisation
>look it up
it's actually real

You sure are stupid

As long as home cinema experience is too expensive for commoners (especially for 3D), there will be movie theaters

Streamers = Putin

based putin

I cannot understand how anyone can bear to sit through an entire american film, especially one from the horror genre, without a theatre full of black people verbally shitposting.